PDA

View Full Version : state of the NFL . . .

proudpittsburgher
11-08-2008, 10:44 AM
Is quickly becoming a joke. The commish has decided, after the people have spoken out, to recind the fine given to Justin Tuck of the Giants for his seemingly clean and textbook hit on Brooks Bollinger o fth Cowboys. Tuck was flagged for the hit, in which he hit Bollinger right after he threw the ball, and fell to the turf, even after Tuck pulled his hands up before hitting the ground. I heard on ESPN that Goodell just watched the video yesterday, and decided to recind the fine. So my question is who levied the fine in the first place if Goodell didn't do it, and doesn't that kind of stuff have to go through the commissioner before the player is fined? :wft

stlrz d
11-08-2008, 11:04 AM
I think Gene Washington is the guy who handles all that.

RuthlessBurgher
11-08-2008, 11:04 AM
Is quickly becoming a joke. The commish has decided, after the people have spoken out, to recind the fine given to Justin Tuck of the Giants for his seemingly clean and textbook hit on Brooks Bollinger o fth Cowboys. Tuck was flagged for the hit, in which he hit Bollinger right after he threw the ball, and fell to the turf, even after Tuck pulled his hands up before hitting the ground. I heard on ESPN that Goodell just watched the video yesterday, and decided to recind the fine. So my question is who levied the fine in the first place if Goodell didn't do it, and doesn't that kind of stuff have to go through the commissioner before the player is fined? :wft

I believe Gene Washington, the NFL's director of football operations, levies fines.

RuthlessBurgher
11-08-2008, 11:05 AM
I think Gene Washington is the guy who handles all that.

Got me by a second! :moon :lol:

proudpittsburgher
11-08-2008, 11:09 AM
I don't get it. Small decisions . . . that's fine to let someone wlse handle it, but Goodell should, at the very least, have to sign off on large fines . . . No? This, to me, is more embarassing to the league than the original fine.

Discipline of Steel
11-08-2008, 11:22 AM
NFL RESCINDS JUSTIN TUCK FINE
Posted by Michael David Smith on November 7, 2008, 8:24 p.m.
On Sunday Giants defensive end Justin Tuck delivered what appeared to most observers to be a legal, clean hit on Cowboys quarterback Brooks Bollinger. But even though there was nothing dirty about the play, Tuck was called for a personal foul.

That was baffling, and it was really baffling when news surfaced that Tuck would be fined $7,500.

But thereís good news today for Tuck ó and for those who donít want to see the NFL turn into a two-hand touch league: Tuckís fine has been rescinded.

Paul Needell of The Star-Ledger reports that Ray Anderson, who handles NFL discipline, will inform Tuck tonight that he doesnít have to pay the fine. According to the report, NFL Commissioner Roger Goodell didnít see the play until today, and when he did, he immediately informed Anderson the fine was too harsh.

So it is Ray Anderson at the center of this controversy, although Goodell is surely playing a role. :loser

Iron Shiek
11-08-2008, 03:00 PM
So what kind of message does him rescinding the fine send to the refs? They are calling the game the way they are being trained. That stupid "Falling ontop with full body weight" is part of their language on calling roughing. Tuck was flagged on the play. So I don't understand how Goodell can rescind it. It totally undermines the ref's call and makes him look like a douche for throwing the flag in the first place.

If anything, these stupid fines where there wasn't a flag should be the ones rescinded. This is utter bull$hit.

pittpete
11-08-2008, 04:22 PM
It proves that Goodell is a FN douche and has no clue on the BS rules he is instilling in the NFL.