PDA

View Full Version : Interesting Topic from the TribLive regarding Ben

MeetJoeGreene
11-06-2008, 11:46 PM
.. and Tomlin meeting:
I thinkthat the poster is legit....if so,this could be a good thing.

http://discuss.pittsburghlive.com/viewt ... 2&t=141309 (http://discuss.pittsburghlive.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=141309)

stlrz d
11-07-2008, 12:01 AM
.. and Tomlin meeting:

http://discuss.pittsburghlive.com/viewt ... 2&t=141309 (http://discuss.pittsburghlive.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=141309)

Damn you for making me click on that link and go to that vile place! :P

But I only read the first post...and I found this interesting as I mentioned in another thread something very similar:

Big Ben is upset that Arians is leaving him out there to get pummeled by calling a bunch of 5 step drops and pass plays that take too long to develop. When Byron went into the game, suddenly Arians decides to dummy up the offense and went to a more dink and dunk fast pace passing game while allowing for a few shots deep and take advantage of Byron's arm.

The play calling changed when Lefty went in and Ben (and the rest of the offense) has every reason to be pissed about it.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-07-2008, 12:33 AM
Well, it would be awesome if this is true! I guess we'll learn this Sunday.

I can't watch the game, gotta work :cry:

costanza2k1
11-07-2008, 12:33 AM
Thanks MeetJoeGreene! I sure hope this info is bang on solid and we see changes soon. We need to go to Steelers football and then surprise them with the pass...

sd steel
11-07-2008, 02:45 AM
.. and Tomlin meeting:

But I only read the first post...and I found this interesting as I mentioned in another thread something very similar:

Big Ben is upset that Arians is leaving him out there to get pummeled by calling a bunch of 5 step drops and pass plays that take too long to develop. When Byron went into the game, suddenly Arians decides to dummy up the offense and went to a more dink and dunk fast pace passing game while allowing for a few shots deep and take advantage of Byron's arm.

The play calling changed when Lefty went in and Ben (and the rest of the offense) has every reason to be pissed about it.

But Byron also said in his post game interview that "I really don't know the offense that weel, I wasn't at OTA's and missed the preseason". If the poster is correct, great. But the salaries just came out and Ben is the highest paid NFL player this year. His line is not great, but Byron, behind that line with a dumbed downed offense looked more than capable to score points. Yes the drops were horrible when Ben was in, but he threw in to double and triple coverage when it was plain as day he had open receivers either underneith or sometimes even in 10-15 yard routes. Ben is not anticipating his receivers whereas Byron was IMO. You can't wait for guys to get open, you have to trust they will be there. Byron did and Ben didn't from what I saw.

AngryAsian
11-07-2008, 04:14 AM
[quote=MeetJoeGreene].. and Tomlin meeting:

But Byron also said in his post game interview that "I really don't know the offense that weel, I wasn't at OTA's and missed the preseason". If the poster is correct, great. But the salaries just came out and Ben is the highest paid NFL player this year. His line is not great, but Byron, behind that line with a dumbed downed offense looked more than capable to score points. Yes the drops were horrible when Ben was in, but he threw in to double and triple coverage when it was plain as day he had open receivers either underneith or sometimes even in 10-15 yard routes. Ben is not anticipating his receivers whereas Byron was IMO. You can't wait for guys to get open, you have to trust they will be there. Byron did and Ben didn't from what I saw.[/quote:2semhc0z]

SD, I'm not refuting your opinion or your inferred possibility... but this organization's one true marker is loyalty. We've never signed such a lucrative contract with any player and this commitment by the FO is a statement that Ben is our guy. This guy has one of the highest winning percentage of any QB to come out of college his first 5 years, he's taken us to a Lombardi, he keeps winning and sacrificing his body despite a subpar and line and atrocious play calling, he's the undeniable leader of this team..... I don't think the FO after seeing a game won by Lefty (a great performance, don't get me wrong) is scratching their heads and speculating...."hmmmm, we need cap space."

Sorry, brother, I just don't see it.

stlrz d
11-07-2008, 08:39 AM

But Byron also said in his post game interview that "I really don't know the offense that weel, I wasn't at OTA's and missed the preseason". If the poster is correct, great. But the salaries just came out and Ben is the highest paid NFL player this year. His line is not great, but Byron, behind that line with a dumbed downed offense looked more than capable to score points. Yes the drops were horrible when Ben was in, but he threw in to double and triple coverage when it was plain as day he had open receivers either underneith or sometimes even in 10-15 yard routes. Ben is not anticipating his receivers whereas Byron was IMO. You can't wait for guys to get open, you have to trust they will be there. Byron did and Ben didn't from what I saw.[/quote:2zk0etph]

I'm not asking for the offense to be "dumbed down" for Ben...I'm just asking for him to have the chance to throw to receivers short on a consistent basis if that's what the defense is giving.

You talk about Byron being capable of scoring points but keep in mind that the Steelers (with Ben) are one of the best RED ZONE teams in the league. The offense is capable of scoring points with Ben...make no mistake about it.

The problem is the play calling on the rest of the field. I hope that post is correct and the entire offense (and defense) has had it with Arians' play calling. If Arians starts calling more 3 step drops, roll outs, off tackle screens and so on then you will truly see receivers open underneath consistently, not occasionally.

If Arians gives Ben a chance by changing things up, Ben may just make it through the entire season.

And get a fullback in front of Parker again, dammit!!!!!

papillon
11-07-2008, 09:03 AM
I'm not asking for the offense to be "dumbed down" for Ben...I'm just asking for him to have the chance to throw to receivers short on a consistent basis if that's what the defense is giving.

You talk about Byron being capable of scoring points but keep in mind that the Steelers (with Ben) are one of the best RED ZONE teams in the league. The offense is capable of scoring points with Ben...make no mistake about it.

The problem is the play calling on the rest of the field. I hope that post is correct and the entire offense (and defense) has had it with Arians' play calling. If Arians starts calling more 3 step drops, roll outs, off tackle screens and so on then you will truly see receivers open underneath consistently, not occasionally.

If Arians gives Ben a chance by changing things up, Ben may just make it through the entire season.

And get a fullback in front of Parker again, dammit!!!!!

I do want Arians to dumb down the playbook for Ben and put Ben back in position to be successful and that's managing the game by making plays. I'm a Steeler fan and could care less about statistics that players get and that includes Ben. His first two years with a limited playbook and his playmaking ability the Steelers were 29-6 (or something like that) and won a superbowl. Turning the offense over to Ben just because you're paying him 100 million dollars is dumb. Put him in a position to succeed and everything else will follow.

I typically don't look at one game and make a big deal out of it; but, in this case, it was obvious that a simplified playbook with the skill players that the Steelers have on offense is enough to be successful on offense. D@mn it looked like Leftwich had been practicing with the first team during OTAs, training camp and all season long; he made it look too easy.

Ben and a reduced playbook and limited input into the offense is going to help the Steelers win more games than giving Ben the keys to the castle. Ben can make so many plays when he doesn't have to think about what he's doing it's sick; he looks like he's thinking about everything he has to do rather than playing football.

He'll get his numbers and the Steelers will get wins (the most important thing) if Arians puts him in positions to be successful. At the beginning of the year I was happy to hear that Ben was being handed the playbook and given the freedom to run the offense; now, I'm not so sure it's waht the Steelers need. The defense is too good to let sloppy offense hinder the possibility of gaining the prize.

Pappy

stlrz d
11-07-2008, 09:10 AM
But Pap, I don't think it's a matter of "reducing" the playbook. I think it's quite the opposite actually. I think it's a matter of opening up the whole playbook, meaning give Ben the chance to run the short passing game as well. I don't mind keeping the big plays in there for when the opportunities arise, but the short passing game has GOT to be part of the offense for Ben too!

papillon
11-07-2008, 09:25 AM
But Pap, I don't think it's a matter of "reducing" the playbook. I think it's quite the opposite actually. I think it's a matter of opening up the whole playbook, meaning give Ben the chance to run the short passing game as well. I don't mind keeping the big plays in there for when the opportunities arise, but the short passing game has GOT to be part of the offense for Ben too!

The short plays are there; I don't believe that Ben is willing to take them. Many people have said they see underneath routes open and Ben either doesn't see them or refuses to see them. Leftwich just did a great job of taking what was there. While I love the big plays that Ben can make when he's on his game, there have just been too many negative plays this year. All this offense has to do is protect the ball, burn some clock and score minimal amounts of points and the Steelers are going to be highly successful.

As I stated, I don't need the league leader in passing, rushing, sacks, etc. all I look for is for the Steelers to win games. Ben playing under the same circumstances as his first two years gives the Steelers the best chance to win games. That msy not be a popular opinion, because, many want Ben to be a great quarterback that everyone talks about, that's irrelevant to winning games.

Look at the 70s Steelers none of those HOFers have really great numbers (but, they were great team players), but, they had success as a team and were rewarded for it by being inducted into the HOF and winning 4 Superbowls. The same would happen to Ben if the team has success.

Pappy

MeetJoeGreene
11-07-2008, 09:55 AM

The short plays are there; I don't believe that Ben is willing to take them. Many people have said they see underneath routes open and Ben either doesn't see them or refuses to see them.
Pappy

That is what confuses me and appears to be in conflict with the reported purpose of the meeting between Ben and Tomlin. If I were to guess, I would have said BEN was influencing Arians to put more LONG plays in the gameplan.

papillon
11-07-2008, 10:11 AM

The short plays are there; I don't believe that Ben is willing to take them. Many people have said they see underneath routes open and Ben either doesn't see them or refuses to see them.
Pappy

That is what confuses me and appears to be in conflict with the reported purpose of the meeting between Ben and Tomlin. If I were to guess, I would have said BEN was influencing Arians to put more LONG plays in the gameplan.

The long plays will be there once you prove to the opponent that you're willing to use the death by 1000 cuts mentality. Joe Montana and Steve Young were maddeningly frustrating doing this exact thing. They would nickel and dime you to death until you gave in and tried to stop it and then they went over the top. It works on the defense's psyche more than anything and frustrates them.

You know Leftwich was on pace to be sacked as often as Ben and, yet, the perception is that he wasn't pressured as much as Ben. why is that? I'm not sure I have an answer, but, one thing is certain, even with the same sack rate as Ben, the offense moved the ball and didn't look completely out of synch.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
11-07-2008, 11:42 AM
As I stated, I don't need the league leader in passing, rushing, sacks, etc. all I look for is for the Steelers to win games. Ben playing under the same circumstances as his first two years gives the Steelers the best chance to win games. That msy not be a popular opinion, because, many want Ben to be a great quarterback that everyone talks about, that's irrelevant to winning games.

:Agree

We all know he has the talent to be the guy that throws 400+ times for 3000+ yards and 30+ TD's. But trying to replicate that feat behind this particular o-line can get the guy killed. With how dominant our defense is this year, the best strategy to win ball games would be simply to run the ball about as often as we did in 04-05, with Ben throwing less than 300 times for 2000+ yards and in the neighborhood of 17 TD's. People called him a game manager back then. I don't care what they call him. I know he is an elite QB. But you don't have to try to prove that to me by calling 7 step drop home run balls all the time when there is only enough time in the pocket for a quick slant off of a 3 step drop. Play to your strengths. Ben was a good QB in 04-05, and he was a good QB last year. Circumstances are such that he would be better off being more like the Ben from several years ago, since the weakness of the o-line dictates it as such. Ben has nothing to prove to anyone. He just needs to win. He's always been more about winning than stats. And throwing the types of passes that were called for Leftwich last week instead of airing it out gives us the best chance at having a team with a realistic shot at going all the way in spite of the shortcomings along the o-line and all of the injuries that have been piling up. Hopefully, Arians can get this through his thick skull. Bruce seems to be the one hell-bent on proving that his system can be successful, while guys like Ben, Willie, Hines, etc. are more focused on what will help them to grind out winning games for the team than get them individual glory.

stlrz d
11-07-2008, 03:02 PM

We all know he has the talent to be the guy that throws 400+ times for 3000+ yards and 30+ TD's. But trying to replicate that feat behind this particular o-line can get the guy killed. With how dominant our defense is this year, the best strategy to win ball games would be simply to run the ball about as often as we did in 04-05, with Ben throwing less than 300 times for 2000+ yards and in the neighborhood of 17 TD's. People called him a game manager back then. I don't care what they call him. I know he is an elite QB. But you don't have to try to prove that to me by calling 7 step drop home run balls all the time when there is only enough time in the pocket for a quick slant off of a 3 step drop. Play to your strengths. Ben was a good QB in 04-05, and he was a good QB last year. Circumstances are such that he would be better off being more like the Ben from several years ago, since the weakness of the o-line dictates it as such. Ben has nothing to prove to anyone. He just needs to win. He's always been more about winning than stats. And throwing the types of passes that were called for Leftwich last week instead of airing it out gives us the best chance at having a team with a realistic shot at going all the way in spite of the shortcomings along the o-line and all of the injuries that have been piling up. Hopefully, Arians can get this through his thick skull. Bruce seems to be the one hell-bent on proving that his system can be successful, while guys like Ben, Willie, Hines, etc. are more focused on what will help them to grind out winning games for the team than get them individual glory.

Amen. I watch the games and I don't see all the short patterns other people seem to see. Every once in awhile I see it, but not nearly as often as others claim.

Like I said in the game chat, it was clear to me the play calling changed to a shorter passing game when Lefty went in.

sd steel
11-08-2008, 01:05 AM

But Byron also said in his post game interview that "I really don't know the offense that weel, I wasn't at OTA's and missed the preseason". If the poster is correct, great. But the salaries just came out and Ben is the highest paid NFL player this year. His line is not great, but Byron, behind that line with a dumbed downed offense looked more than capable to score points. Yes the drops were horrible when Ben was in, but he threw in to double and triple coverage when it was plain as day he had open receivers either underneith or sometimes even in 10-15 yard routes. Ben is not anticipating his receivers whereas Byron was IMO. You can't wait for guys to get open, you have to trust they will be there. Byron did and Ben didn't from what I saw.

SD, I'm not refuting your opinion or your inferred possibility... but this organization's one true marker is loyalty. We've never signed such a lucrative contract with any player and this commitment by the FO is a statement that Ben is our guy. This guy has one of the highest winning percentage of any QB to come out of college his first 5 years, he's taken us to a Lombardi, he keeps winning and sacrificing his body despite a subpar and line and atrocious play calling, he's the undeniable leader of this team..... I don't think the FO after seeing a game won by Lefty (a great performance, don't get me wrong) is scratching their heads and speculating...."hmmmm, we need cap space."

Sorry, brother, I just don't see it.[/quote:1dwt54ks]

Don't get me wrong AA, Ben is here to stay, and I love him as a Steeler, but obviously he has to change something. This is the second time he wasn't as effective as Leftwich, even though Byron does not know the offense as well, and has a longer release. Yeah it might be the injury, but I thought Ben had a shoulder injury not an eye or brain injury. He isn't throwing to spots (anticipating where the receivers will be open before their cuts)whereas Leftwich has. The trust that Leftwich has reminds me of when Maddox came in. Yes he couldn't move much, but he threw to a spot and got rid of the ball, which he learned in the Arena League, because it's hard to get separation on a small field. Thats why maddox became successful for a time. It's not a quick release, but knowing exactly where your guy will be coming out of a cut. Ben seems hesitant to throw it. I thought at first he was afraid to throw picks, but now he shouldn't be worried about the INT's stats and just throw the ball.

stlrz d
11-08-2008, 02:01 AM
Somebody help me out...is it worth it to continue mentioning that the play calling changed when Lefty went in?

AngryAsian
11-08-2008, 02:15 AM

The ProBowl berth and the career statistics Ben put up that helped us win the division, basically kept Arians' job. We armchair QBs can call plays as before they happen because BA's methodologies are so transparent.... no wonder DCs lick their chops when they see our offense take the field. I hope this season is the last of these shanannigans (sp). This talent pool on offense deserves an A1 playcaller masterminding our strategies. My prediction is that we make the playoffs, win one game if we're the number 3 or 4th seed and lose in the AFCCG due to some bonehead string of calls by the offense. Our D deserves their rest on the sidelines because they've been playing lights out. We're the Bears of two season's ago... unbelievable defense and a topsy-turvy-on-again-off-again-don't-know-which-team-will-show-up-this-week type of offense.... only instead of sub par talent, we have sub par play calling.

We need to stop the bleeding and get an OC worthy of the arsenal we have built:

*Utilize our TE- Heath can put up ProBowl numbers if he weren't so underutilized in the passing game and languishing as our 3rd tackle. A first round draft pick that in the past was an integral part of what we did on offense.

*Utilize a 3 man rotation in the backfield that can move the sticks relentlessley- Parker for the home runs to the outside, Mendenhall to pound the rock between the tackles and Moore to catch screens out in the flat.

*Utilize size and possession skillsets in the slot- why do we have Sweed and Baker on the roster if we don't use them in the mix?

*Utilize the best blocking WRs in the league- not used nearly enough... but hey, I guess a little is better than none at all.

*Utilize the talent on the roster to engineer plays outside of the box- when I see plays like the "WILDCAT" in Miami, and remember Randle El's pass to Hines in SB XL, I scratch my head and wonder how come we don't have anything that uses the speed and the cannon that say, Dennis Dixon has. Was this another late round pick that will not be incorporated into the mix because there isn't a specified position that can showcase this kid's talent. The guy proved one thing in college, he's a playmaker and a football player who will do anything asked of him to win ball games.

All the above noted are just some of the things that I find baffling. I don't want to sound negative, but if we didn't have this Defense we'd be in huge trouble. Defense wins Championships, but Offense is what gets you to the big dance. My two yen.

Djfan
11-08-2008, 02:54 AM

The ProBowl berth and the career statistics Ben put up that helped us win the division, basically kept Arians' job. We armchair QBs can call plays as before they happen because BA's methodologies are so transparent.... no wonder DCs lick their chops when they see our offense take the field. I hope this season is the last of these shanannigans (sp). This talent pool on offense deserves an A1 playcaller masterminding our strategies. My prediction is that we make the playoffs, win one game if we're the number 3 or 4th seed and lose in the AFCCG due to some bonehead string of calls by the offense. Our D deserves their rest on the sidelines because they've been playing lights out. We're the Bears of two season's ago... unbelievable defense and a topsy-turvy-on-again-off-again-don't-know-which-team-will-show-up-this-week type of offense.... only instead of sub par talent, we have sub par play calling.

*Utilize our TE- Heath can put up ProBowl numbers if he weren't so underutilized in the passing game and languishing as our 3rd tackle. A first round draft pick that in the past was an integral part of what we did on offense.

*Utilize a 3 man rotation in the backfield that can move the sticks relentlessley- Parker for the home runs to the outside, Mendenhall to pound the rock between the tackles and Moore to catch screens out in the flat.

*Utilize size and possession skillsets in the slot- why do we have Sweed and Baker on the roster if we don't use them in the mix?

*Utilize the best blocking WRs in the league- not used nearly enough... but hey, I guess a little is better than none at all.

*Utilize the talent on the roster to engineer plays outside of the box- when I see plays like the "WILDCAT" in Miami, and remember Randle El's pass to Hines in SB XL, I scratch my head and wonder how come we don't have anything that uses the speed and the cannon that say, Dennis Dixon has. Was this another late round pick that will not be incorporated into the mix because there isn't a specified position that can showcase this kid's talent. The guy proved one thing in college, he's a playmaker and a football player who will do anything asked of him to win ball games.

All the above noted are just some of the things that I find baffling. I don't want to sound negative, but if we didn't have this Defense we'd be in huge trouble. Defense wins Championships, but Offense is what gets you to the big dance. My two yen.

Money!

I have been calling for this guy's firing for two seasons now. I think he has absolutely no idea what he is doing.

Hiring a guy let go by the Stains! That alone should get Tomlin on probation!

sd steel
11-08-2008, 03:52 AM

Money!

I have been calling for this guy's firing for two seasons now. I think he has absolutely no idea what he is doing.

Hiring a guy let go by the Stains! That alone should get Tomlin on probation!

DJ, no offense.......probabaly wrong wording, but it's not like Arians is a football idiot. He worked with Cowher, hell he worked with the Bear.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Aria ... ing_career (http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Bruce_Arians#Coaching_career)

Djfan
11-08-2008, 04:00 AM
No offense taken. In fact no offense seen that I like (just kidding!).

It's just a bad fit. I don't think he has what it takes, that's all. Some great men have had others around them who didn't measure up. I think BA is on that list.

RuthlessBurgher
11-08-2008, 10:43 AM
Regarding the issue why Dennis Dixon is not playing:

"Teams will be permitted an Active List of 45 players and an Inactive List of eight players for each regular-season and postseason game. Provided that a club has two quarterbacks on its 45-player Active List, a third quarterback from its Inactive List is permitted to dress for the game, but if he enters the game during the first three quarters, the other two quarterbacks are thereafter prohibited from playing."

AngryAsian
11-08-2008, 10:47 AM

"Teams will be permitted an Active List of 45 players and an Inactive List of eight players for each regular-season and postseason game. Provided that a club has two quarterbacks on its 45-player Active List, a third quarterback from its Inactive List is permitted to dress for the game, but if he enters the game during the first three quarters, the other two quarterbacks are thereafter prohibited from playing."

With all the injuries, why can't he enter as a WR... or am I retarded on this particular point?

RuthlessBurgher
11-08-2008, 11:09 AM

With all the injuries, why can't he enter as a WR... or am I retarded on this particular point?

As long as he is among the 45 active guys, that's kosher. But if he's the inactive 3rd QB who is only allowed to dress for emergency purposes, no. The rule doesn't say anything about restrictions on bringing him in in the 4th quarter, though, only the first three. Hmmm...