PDA

View Full Version : Hartwig

rpmpit
11-06-2008, 09:38 AM
Well, we haven't been talking about him so I guess he's doing a good job. Still, I do miss all those "can he play center" posts :D

Opinions??

Iron Shiek
11-06-2008, 09:45 AM
Kind of like refs and umpires huh? You don't mention them, they are meeting expectations. I have seen nothing to complain about...but my eyes don't shift to center all that much...

rpmpit
11-06-2008, 09:47 AM
Kind of like refs and umpires huh? You don't mention them, they are meeting expectations. I have seen nothing to complain about...but my eyes don't shift to center all that much...

Exactly. If he was playing like that piece of garbage was last year, you'd notice him a lot more. My personal opinion is that we're good at center.

Iron Shiek
11-06-2008, 09:53 AM

Exactly. If he was playing like that piece of garbage was last year, you'd notice him a lot more. My personal opinion is that we're good at center.

A freakin lawn chair folded out laying in front of Ben would be better than last year.

Discipline of Steel
11-06-2008, 09:58 AM
Are you guys talking about Sean 'Rag Doll' Mahan? Hartwig is at least average and Stapleton leaves me with no worries at center, at least as far as long range planning.

But what would happen if Hartwig were to go down? Stapleton shifts over? Essex slides in at RG? Or Colon slides over and Essex slides in at RT?

Iron Shiek
11-06-2008, 10:07 AM
Are you guys talking about Sean 'Rag Doll' Mahan? Hartwig is at least average and Stapleton leaves me with no worries at center, at least as far as long range planning.

But what would happen if Hartwig were to go down? Stapleton shifts over? Essex slides in at RG? Or Colon slides over and Essex slides in at RT?

http://tbn0.google.com/images?q=tbn:zW5UMTlx06NyjM:http://www.hirestandard.com/yikes.gif

MeetJoeGreene
11-06-2008, 10:08 AM
Good point. I still the that he is servicable to pretty good. Not spectacular. Its not like we have highlights of him ripping gaping holes and getting to the second level, destroying 2 would-be tacklers (that I have seen).

It is just that he is STELLAR in contast to the vortex of suck that was Mahan.

Iron Shiek
11-06-2008, 10:11 AM
Good point. I still the that he is servicable to pretty good. Not spectacular. Its not like we have highlights of him ripping gaping holes and getting to the second level, destroying 2 would-be tacklers (that I have seen).

Well exactly! All we wanted was somebody to just GET IN THE WAY! That leads to less of this :HeadBanger when talking about that position.

RussBII
11-06-2008, 12:17 PM

Well exactly! All we wanted was somebody to just GET IN THE WAY! That leads to less of this :HeadBanger when talking about that position.

Ok, he does get in the way better than Sean Mahan. But I've noticed that Ben can rarely step UP into the pocket. Usually he has to scoot sideways into the waiting arms of whoever our tackles are attempting to block.

Maybe I'm spoiled from like 30 years of solid center play, but I don't think the center of the line is helping form the pocket adequately. I've seen a lot of Ben's sacks where he's started to step up, then had to side stepped, and was sacked.

So bottom line, is Hartwig better than Mahan was last year? Yes. Is he the long term solution, I'm not so sure.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-06-2008, 12:38 PM

Ok, he does get in the way better than Sean Mahan. But I've noticed that Ben can rarely step UP into the pocket. Usually he has to scoot sideways into the waiting arms of whoever our tackles are attempting to block.
Maybe I'm spoiled from like 30 years of solid center play, but I don't think the center of the line is helping form the pocket adequately. I've seen a lot of Ben's sacks where he's started to step up, then had to side stepped, and was sacked.

So bottom line, is Hartwig better than Mahan was last year? Yes. Is he the long term solution, I'm not so sure.

I've noticed this too, it really jumps out at you in the rare circumstances that the QB can step up, like Lefty did in the 4th qrtr against the deadskins.

RuthlessBurgher
11-06-2008, 02:24 PM
RPMPit, you scared me to death with a thread titled just "Hartwig"

I thought, oh Christ...what now? With the way injuries have been piling up, I expected to see that our starting center came down with leprosy and his leg fell off or something.

Iron Shiek
11-06-2008, 03:09 PM

I thought, oh Christ...what now? With the way injuries have been piling up, I expected to see that our starting center came down with leprosy and his leg fell off or something.

Well I saw these two headlines and nearly shat myself...but I guess they are okay:

Parker has new injury Thursday 11/6, 8:05 AM CT

Willie Parker has returned from his sprained knee, but is now dealing with a shoulder ailment, sustained in Monday's win over the Redskins, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. Coach Mike Tomlin said, "I think that he is going to be fine. Hopefully, he can come in here and be ready to practice tomorrow. We didn't let him practice today. We will see where he is in the morning."

Spaeth practices Thursday 11/6, 8:09 AM CT

Matt Spaeth is nursing a wrist injury, but was able to practice Wednesday, according to the Pittsburgh Post-Gazette. He said, "It'll be fine."

rpmpit
11-07-2008, 08:54 AM

Sorry about that :(