PDA

View Full Version : New President-Big New Taxes

Oviedo
11-05-2008, 04:55 PM
A lot of talk in baseball circles about how Obama plans to raise taxes on high wage earners which means most professional athletes. Now may be the time with some leverage to break our own stupid role and lock down a player like Bmac who would likely face a bigger tax bill come next Feb/March if he became a FA.

Some veteran may also be anxious to renegotiate their contract to beat the tax man.

http://sports.espn.go.com/mlb/news/story?id=3683448

Steeler Expat
11-05-2008, 05:12 PM
They should just be patriotic and pay their taxes :roll:

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-05-2008, 06:20 PM
They should just be patriotic and pay their taxes :roll:

Yeah, big new taxes for the very wealthy - reversing the tax cut that Bush gave them (which we in the middle class have to make up for), and bringing tax levels for the very wealthy only back to what it was 20 years ago (if your article is accurate). If you're one of those who makes $250K annually, I'm sorry if you're upset about having to give that money back to the rest of us, but not too sorry!

Well of course it's patriotic to pay your taxes (like it is to fight for your country if you're drafted, etc.), but I think what will happen is that the signing bonuses demanded by these guys will just go up that much higher after 1-1-09. It'll just be another cost of living adjustment for those very high income people.

The one I feel sorry for is Joe the Plumber - he'll probably be kicked up into that $250K bracket after he gets that country & western recording deal, and his book deal. And then he'll still have to pay all his back taxes :wink:

Sugar
11-05-2008, 09:14 PM
Wow, that kind of stinks. Nobody should have to pay a larger percentage just because they make more. Let people keep their own money. We waste so much in this country as it is, nobody should have a tax over 10% IMO.

I suppose that any sports organization is going to have to do what it has to do- find whatever loopholes they can and exploit them!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-05-2008, 09:31 PM
Wow, that kind of stinks. Nobody should have to pay a larger percentage just because they make more. Let people keep their own money. We waste so much in this country as it is, nobody should have a tax over 10% IMO.

I suppose that any sports organization is going to have to do what it has to do- find whatever loopholes they can and exploit them!

I don't know for sure, but I think the reasoning for that goes like this:

1) Someone makes $1000/month. Rent, gas, groceries are $600/month, so they have $400 to spend on "luxuries". But if their tax rate was 35%, that would mean they would have to pay $350 in taxes ... almost more than they have. So the tax rate for "poor people" is lowered to 20%, and they have a few bucks to spend.

2) Someone makes $100,000/month. They equivalent of their "rent/gas/groceries" is $20,000/month, leaving them $80,000/month to spend. So tax these guys at 35%, they've still got lots of $$ left over. Not like that poor guy.

There are a fair amount of people who like that "flat tax" idea.

Shawn
11-05-2008, 09:39 PM
Obviously those in higher tax brackets should shoulder more of the load. Is that fair...not really but it's the only practical way to do it. All I ask is this...take care of our money. Don't waste it. There are some obvious programs...take care of our elderly, our vets, and our disabled. Assist the working poor. But, get those that don't want to work off their butts and stop letting them manipulate the system. No more hand outs for those that can work and don't. No more wasteful spending. Save some money, and give the savings back to the people.

birtikidis
11-05-2008, 09:40 PM
what will really suck is when those big corporations that everyone complained about because they didn't have to pay high taxes (due to tax breaks) start raising their prices on goods EVERYONE buys regardless of income. those corporations and wealthy individuals WILL make their money back and their bottom line WILL NOT change. of course, most people fail to see this.

stlrz d
11-05-2008, 09:42 PM
Obviously those in higher tax brackets should shoulder more of the load. Is that fair...not really but it's the only practical way to do it. All I ask is this...take care of our money. Don't waste it. There are some obvious programs...take care of our elderly, our vets, and our disabled. Assist the working poor. But, get those that don't want to work off their butts and stop letting them manipulate the system. No more hand outs for those that can work and don't. No more wasteful spending. Save some money, and give the savings back to the people.

I voted for Obama and I approve this message.

birtikidis
11-05-2008, 09:43 PM

I voted for Obama and I approve this message.
I didn't but i do to!

Ozey74
11-05-2008, 10:00 PM
But, get those that don't want to work off their butts and stop letting them manipulate the system. No more hand outs for those that can work and don't.

In my line of work, I've talked with people who have admitted that they try to get pregnant because they will get more aid from the government. It pi$$e$ me off!!

I deal with managing delinquency reduction for a bank. I talk with plenty of deadbeats that come up with excuses for not paying their debts that my company finances. However, when I look at there bank statements they have a $30 withdrawl from a liqour store. These are the same bleed-outs that your speaking of. And there are PLENTY of them that exsist.

I expect my job will be more difficult for the next 4 years.

Ozey74
11-05-2008, 10:11 PM
what will really suck is when those big corporations that everyone complained about because they didn't have to pay high taxes (due to tax breaks) start raising their prices on goods EVERYONE buys regardless of income. those corporations and wealthy individuals WILL make their money back and their bottom line WILL NOT change. of course, most people fail to see this.

Some companies have stopped some benefits such as company matching the % in employee's 401K due. That sucks!

Shawn
11-05-2008, 10:18 PM

See that's what some people fail to see. Yes, putting extra taxes on the wealthy looks good to those not in the 250k bracket. Problem...that tax will eventually trickle it's way down to even the poorest of the poor either through higher prices or less jobs. In the end...higher taxes for one=higher taxes for all.

The only way to tackle the tax issue is to control spending. We need a fiscal conservative. The problem? Obama and McCain are both fiscal liberals. Neither man were the solution. So the guy most different from Bush won.

Shawn
11-05-2008, 10:21 PM

Some companies have stopped some benefits such as company matching the % in employee's 401K due. That sucks!

And there you go. Hit the companies...and they just send the bill to you. It's just a big game. When people get excited about ONLY those rich fat cats being taxed...those people just got played...nothing more...nothing less.

Shawn
11-05-2008, 10:29 PM
But, get those that don't want to work off their butts and stop letting them manipulate the system. No more hand outs for those that can work and don't.

In my line of work, I've talked with people who have admitted that they try to get pregnant because they will get more aid from the government. It pi$$e$ me off!!

I deal with managing delinquency reduction for a bank. I talk with plenty of deadbeats that come up with excuses for not paying their debts that my company finances. However, when I look at there bank statements they have a $30 withdrawl from a liqour store. These are the same bleed-outs that your speaking of. And there are PLENTY of them that exsist.

Happens all the time. Our ER is filled with people who go to the ER 1-2 times a week for sore throats, school excuses etc. Do those people pay co-pays? No. They get free health care...which is part of the problem with socialized medicine. People have to have some personal stake in the expense.

I have also seen mothers who get pregnant to get an extra check. I see parents all the time try to get their children labeled ADHD so that they can collect an extra check and sell the pills you prescribe.

We could go on all day about the horrific ways people abuse the system. So, cut down on needless hand outs...and take care of those who most need it. The welfare system needs to be gone through with a fine tooth come and cuts need to be made.

Mel Blount's G
11-05-2008, 10:37 PM
All it means is people will find more and creative ways of tax loopholes, tax avoidance, tax scams. I'm assuming, and maybe incorrectly, that people that are making 200,ooo g's plus aren't making that because they lack some degree of intelligence. They didn't get to that point by choosing to forfeit a greater portion of their income to the country. Am I way off here? They'll get by.

More importantly, what will this new gov DO with this money they are asking/forcing the wealthy to give up? If were gonna give out crack vouchers to the poor well, then....

Which leads me to...when will the coke, pot, meth, crack, pill, smack, etc.. dealers who are making heavy $$ get taxed?

And regarding the big corporations raising prices due to higher taxes, well, in my ideal America, maybe we'll see a greater/more competition with these mega corpo's

Iron Shiek
11-05-2008, 10:48 PM
All it means is people will find more and creative ways of tax loopholes, tax avoidance, tax scams. I'm assuming, and maybe incorrectly, that people that are making 200,ooo g's plus aren't making that because they lack some degree of intelligence. They didn't get to that point by choosing to forfeit a greater portion of their income to the country. Am I way off here? They'll get by.

More importantly, what will this new gov DO with this money they are asking/forcing the wealthy to give up? If were gonna give out crack vouchers to the poor well, then....

Which leads me to...when will the coke, pot, meth, crack, pill, smack, etc.. dealers who are making heavy $$ get taxed?

And regarding the big corporations raising prices due to higher taxes, well, in my ideal America, maybe we'll see a greater/more competition with these mega corpo's

Some states do actually have such laws and make money off it; kind of odd:

http://www.jointogether.org/news/headlines/inthenews/2005/tenn-to-tax-drug-dealers.html

Tenn. to Tax Drug Dealers
January 7, 2005

Under a new law that took effect Jan. 1 in Tennessee, drug dealers will be required to pay excise taxes on illegal substances, including marijuana, cocaine, moonshine, and unlawfully obtained prescription painkillers, the Elizabethton Star reported Jan. 2.
The Tennessee law was modeled after a 14-year-old law in North Carolina, under which the state has collected $83 million since its inception. At least 22 other states tax illegal drugs.
According to the Tennessee Department of Revenue, a 10-person tax agency has been created to collect the tax from drug dealers who go to any of the state revenue offices within 48 hours of coming into possession of illegal drugs. When the dealers pay the tax, they receive a stamp to show the tax has been paid.

The dealer is not required to provide any identifying information. In addition, state tax collectors are prohibited by privacy laws from reporting drug dealers to police.

The tax would also be collected from drug suspects after police make drug busts. Under the law, law-enforcement agencies are required to call tax officials within 48 hours of finding drugs. If the suspect is unable to pay the tax, the state can seize and sell assets such as cars, homes, and personal belongings.

Monies collected from the tax will go to the law-enforcement agency making the drug bust, as well as the state's general fund.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-05-2008, 11:38 PM

Happens all the time. Our ER is filled with people who go to the ER 1-2 times a week for sore throats, school excuses etc. Do those people pay co-pays? No. They get free health care...which is part of the problem with socialized medicine. People have to have some personal stake in the expense.

I have also seen mothers who get pregnant to get an extra check. I see parents all the time try to get their children labeled ADHD so that they can collect an extra check and sell the pills you prescribe.

We could go on all day about the horrific ways people abuse the system. So, cut down on needless hand outs...and take care of those who most need it. The welfare system needs to be gone through with a fine tooth come and cuts need to be made.

Of all people I figured you would understand that the reason most people go to the ER instead of to a "regular" physician is they don't have insurance to pay for a doctor. You make it sound like people would rather wait 8-12 hrs to be seen by an ER physician than pick up the phone and make a scheduled appointment. I guess since you're so against "socialized medicine" you think Medicare is evil, and you want to revoke it from all those over 65-ers. You may want to rethink that - they'll just wind up in your ER instead of their doctors' office, and you'll have more sick people to complain about!

The real problem in this country is that we have so many people that are so poor, illiterate, and without the personal skills to better themselves - the waste of human capital is almost sinful. It's too easy to propose solutions like kicking people out your ER or the welfare rolls, but until the root issues are addressed, it will be the same thing over and over. I personally think the only solution is massive investment in education. If you take a black kid from Harlem, or a white kid from Appalachia, and you teach them math and science, and to love to learn, there will be no limit to what they can do. Without education they're doomed to be just like their parents.

Just my :2c

MeetJoeGreene
11-05-2008, 11:52 PM
Go Steelers!!

Shawn
11-06-2008, 12:33 AM

Of all people I figured you would understand that the reason most people go to the ER instead of to a "regular" physician is they don't have insurance to pay for a doctor. You make it sound like people would rather wait 8-12 hrs to be seen by an ER physician than pick up the phone and make a scheduled appointment. I guess since you're so against "socialized medicine" you think Medicare is evil, and you want to revoke it from all those over 65-ers. You may want to rethink that - they'll just wind up in your ER instead of their doctors' office, and you'll have more sick people to complain about!

The real problem in this country is that we have so many people that are so poor, illiterate, and without the personal skills to better themselves - the waste of human capital is almost sinful. It's too easy to propose solutions like kicking people out your ER or the welfare rolls, but until the root issues are addressed, it will be the same thing over and over. I personally think the only solution is massive investment in education. If you take a black kid from Harlem, or a white kid from Appalachia, and you teach them math and science, and to love to learn, there will be no limit to what they can do. Without education they're doomed to be just like their parents.

Just my :2c

I was referring to those on medicaid. Why would I slam those without insurance for coming to the ED? Those without insurance still get a bill...most are sent to collections...so they tend not to abuse it. I don't have a problem with people using the ER...I have problems with people abusing the ER because they get their health care for free. I'm not complaining about sick people...I'm complaining about those that want to clog up the ER with frivilous complaints, drug seeking, and general secondary gain. Those are the individuals who make average joe wait "8-12 hours" for treatment.

You can offer education all you want...but how do you make a child want it? When their parents sit around collecting a government check...teaching their children how to get by without being productive? You make them want it by showing consequences for not wanting to be productive. If you have a family member addicted to heroin...do you go out and buy it for them because they will go through withdraw without it?

Chadman
11-06-2008, 02:22 AM
Different country- same problem.

The only way to GUARENTEE that hand-outs are not wasted on booze, smokes & gambling is to REGULATE the hand-outs.

Don't give out cash for groceries- give out VOUCHERS.

Don't give "Baby Bonus" payments- send them a couple of months worth of nappies & medicine.

DON'T GIVE CASH AS HANDOUTS- you are just asking for trouble. If you give people some leeway, they'll look for ways to exploit the system.

As for Obama getting elected, as a non-U.S citizen, Chadman feels like he can ask the simple questions...

1. If Obama was white, with the exact same campaign, does he get elected over McCain?

2. Was Obama elected because he's the best candidate? Or because he's not Republican?

Australia voted in Kevin Rudd to replace John Howard. Not because Rudd is a better Prime Minister.

But because Rudd wasn't John Howard.

In fact, Rudd's only real 'thing' during his campaign was to say how bad Howard was, and come up with a 'catchy' Kevin 07 catch-cry.

No policies were ever put forward.

And as a result, we now have a Prime Minister that actually doesn't do anything.

Nice work Australia.

Flat Rate Tax is the only 'fair' system- why should the successful people be asked to pay a HIGHER PERCENTAGE of tax than anyone else? You don't work harder to achieve the benefit of paying MORE percentage-wise than the guy that sits back with his feet on the desk.

And in conclusion....

Go Steelers!

:Boobs

Shawn
11-06-2008, 04:07 AM
I think what you say is fair Chadman. It seems that you suggest aiding rather than supporting. I would have to agree. A hand up...not a hand out.

Oviedo
11-06-2008, 08:44 AM
Different country- same problem.

The only way to GUARENTEE that hand-outs are not wasted on booze, smokes & gambling is to REGULATE the hand-outs.

Don't give out cash for groceries- give out VOUCHERS.

Don't give "Baby Bonus" payments- send them a couple of months worth of nappies & medicine.

DON'T GIVE CASH AS HANDOUTS- you are just asking for trouble. If you give people some leeway, they'll look for ways to exploit the system.

As for Obama getting elected, as a non-U.S citizen, Chadman feels like he can ask the simple questions...

1. If Obama was white, with the exact same campaign, does he get elected over McCain?

2. Was Obama elected because he's the best candidate? Or because he's not Republican?

Australia voted in Kevin Rudd to replace John Howard. Not because Rudd is a better Prime Minister.

But because Rudd wasn't John Howard.

In fact, Rudd's only real 'thing' during his campaign was to say how bad Howard was, and come up with a 'catchy' Kevin 07 catch-cry.

No policies were ever put forward.

And as a result, we now have a Prime Minister that actually doesn't do anything.

Nice work Australia.

Flat Rate Tax is the only 'fair' system- why should the successful people be asked to pay a HIGHER PERCENTAGE of tax than anyone else? You don't work harder to achieve the benefit of paying MORE percentage-wise than the guy that sits back with his feet on the desk.

And in conclusion....

Go Steelers!

Couldn't have said it better myself. Much like you said about Rudd and Howard, this was an election against Bush as much as for Obama.

The Flat Tax with a national sales tax based on what you actually consume if the only fair tax system. I lived in Europe for over three years and have many friends from there. The only thing guaranteed is that the governments take more and more to finance the socialiust bureacracy they have put in place. That is why so many of my European firends actively seek ways to immigrate to the US to stop being punished for being successful. Just remember the last time we had a Democratic President and both house of Congress Democratic to the level we do now during the Jimmy Carter administration. How did that one work out?

To take this back to a sports slant. Punishing achievement in anything is never a good plan although the NFL does it in their draft ordering process. How is that for a smooth transition :wink:

rpmpit
11-06-2008, 09:27 AM
Go Steelers!!

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Higher taxes on the rich and the corporations, lower taxes on the working class. Problem is, the way things are NOW, many corporations have moved out of the US because they know it can be more profitable for them. My company produces an "American Made" product line. But 70-80% of the components and raw materials we use are imported. Harley Davidson, the American icon that it is, builds their bikes with many imported parts.

Now what do you think will happen when we raise taxes on the corporations that are still here?? They'll follow the companies that have left. Sure, the working class will pay lower taxes - but they won't have jobs!!

Oviedo
11-06-2008, 10:01 AM
Go Steelers!!

Higher taxes on the rich and the corporations, lower taxes on the working class. Problem is, the way things are NOW, many corporations have moved out of the US because they know it can be more profitable for them. My company produces an "American Made" product line. But 70-80% of the components and raw materials we use are imported. Harley Davidson, the American icon that it is, builds their bikes with many imported parts.

Now what do you think will happen when we raise taxes on the corporations that are still here?? They'll follow the companies that have left. Sure, the working class will pay lower taxes - but they won't have jobs!!

What the federal government and liberals always fail to understand is that the people who run corporations and handle their finances get paid more and are smarter than the people who work for the federal government. They will not allow their businesses to be destroyed because of feel good politics. Like you said they will find a way out even if that means moving out of the country.

papillon
11-06-2008, 10:10 AM
Go Steelers!!

At one time Pit not to long ago (circa 1998/99) Harley Davidsons had only a handful of parts made outside the US and, If I remember correctly, most HD production facilities fabricated most everything they needed to build the bike. At least in the production facility in York, PA that was how it was. I did a graduate project on HD and took a tour of the plant and the process of building the bikes.

At the time I toured the plant if Irecall correctly, the rims, and a few internal parts of the engine (built in Tomahawk, Wisconsin) were the only parts being imported. I guess that has changed since I took the tour.

Pappy

rpmpit
11-06-2008, 10:21 AM
Go Steelers!!

At one time Pit not to long ago (circa 1998/99) Harley Davidsons had only a handful of parts made outside the US and, If I remember correctly, most HD production facilities fabricated most everything they needed to build the bike. At least in the production facility in York, PA that was how it was. I did a graduate project on HD and took a tour of the plant and the process of building the bikes.

At the time I toured the plant if Irecall correctly, the rims, and a few internal parts of the engine (built in Tomahawk, Wisconsin) were the only parts being imported. I guess that has changed since I took the tour.

Pappy

I took the same tour at York. Great place. Love the museum there. As an mechanical and manufacturing engineer, I was impressed at how many of the components they do produce on site.

And while I can't give you specific links or info to prove my point I remember reading in American Iron Magazine that some of the brake components come from Italy. The speedometers and some of the electronic components were from Japan. And other parts came from Mexico.

Also, Harley's new VROD (well it was new a few years back) is a liquid cooled engine designed in cooperation with Porsche. Harleys have traditionally been air cooled v-twins (in case some of you didn't know).

Anyway, I wasn't trying to single out HD, because all manufacturers of "American Made" goods use foreign parts. I was just using them as an example.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-06-2008, 10:55 AM

And in conclusion....

Go Steelers!

http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008 ... 305&page=1 (http://abcnews.go.com/Politics/Vote2008/story?id=6192305&page=1)

These are great questions. It's looking more and more like the reason Obama won is that Republicans didn't come out to vote. Apparently on Tuesday they had the lowest turn out in 7 presidential elections. Interestingly, the youth vote for Obama, though higher in absolute numbers than previous elections, was the same percentage-wise as previous elections (because of the growing population).

Also, Obama won the majority of support in the following age groups: 1) 18 -30 year olds; 30-45 year olds; 45-65 year olds (McCain won with those 75yo and older); college-educated; those making less than $50,000/yr; those making more than $200,000/yr;. 75% of the electorate was white, and Obama won 43% of them. Obama also won among all men, and also among all women.

Though McCain barely took the majority of whites (55%), Obama had a higher percentage of whites voting for him than even Clinton (a white Southerner) did.

And finally, this Presidential election made it 4 of the last 5 that Democrats won the popular vote in this country.

Go Steelers!

stlrz d
11-06-2008, 03:16 PM
Go Steelers!!

What the federal government and liberals always fail to understand is that the people who run corporations and handle their finances get paid more and are smarter than the people who work for the federal government. They will not allow their businesses to be destroyed because of feel good politics. Like you said they will find a way out even if that means moving out of the country.

Keep in mind that if you move your company out of the country you are now subject to other taxes and tariffs AND you now have to pay to ship your product to the US, which isn't cheap by any means.

The feds aren't as stupid as people think they are.

Jigawatts
11-06-2008, 03:19 PM

:Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap

Mel Blount's G
11-06-2008, 09:04 PM
[quote="Mel Blount's G":33ch8v9e]All it means is people will find more and creative ways of tax loopholes, tax avoidance, tax scams. I'm assuming, and maybe incorrectly, that people that are making 200,ooo g's plus aren't making that because they lack some degree of intelligence. They didn't get to that point by choosing to forfeit a greater portion of their income to the country. Am I way off here? They'll get by.

Some states do actually have such laws and make money off it; kind of odd:

http://www.jointogether.org/news/headlines/inthenews/2005/tenn-to-tax-drug-dealers.html

Tenn. to Tax Drug Dealers
January 7, 2005

Under a new law that took effect Jan. 1 in Tennessee, drug dealers will be required to pay excise taxes on illegal substances, including marijuana, cocaine, moonshine, and unlawfully obtained prescription painkillers, the Elizabethton Star reported Jan. 2.
The Tennessee law was modeled after a 14-year-old law in North Carolina, under which the state has collected $83 million since its inception. At least 22 other states tax illegal drugs.
According to the Tennessee Department of Revenue, a 10-person tax agency has been created to collect the tax from drug dealers who go to any of the state revenue offices within 48 hours of coming into possession of illegal drugs. When the dealers pay the tax, they receive a stamp to show the tax has been paid.

The dealer is not required to provide any identifying information. In addition, state tax collectors are prohibited by privacy laws from reporting drug dealers to police.

The tax would also be collected from drug suspects after police make drug busts. Under the law, law-enforcement agencies are required to call tax officials within 48 hours of finding drugs. If the suspect is unable to pay the tax, the state can seize and sell assets such as cars, homes, and personal belongings.

Monies collected from the tax will go to the law-enforcement agency making the drug bust, as well as the state's general fund.

[/quote:33ch8v9e]
I like it I.S. It's certainly a start. They mentioned North Carolina and what I DON'T like about their drug policies, is the heavy importance given to the busting of the Average Joe with a gram of weed. I believe that the lightening up of this particular law enforcement in places like Oregon and British Columbia has shown that it frees up law enforcement AND courts for much more important and serious stuff. Yes, tax the weedman but ease up on the honing in on busting buddy with a few doobies. Living in rural north carolina for 6 years, they seemed more focussed on nabbing a working guy with a 1/2 ounce of weed then tagging the oxycontin/ghb dealer who was illegally firing off his rifle at an imagined rabid dog in a trailer court. Priorities.

Djfan
11-06-2008, 10:52 PM
I guess we're left to try and survive until this big government trend grinds to a halt. Tough times ahead? Maybe.

I can survive as long as Barack Pelosi leaves my guns alone.