PDA

View Full Version : The halfway point just some thoughts...

papillon
11-04-2008, 11:52 AM
As requested...I posted in a different thread and was asked to start a topic thread with the post, so, here ya go.

I'd like to take this moment to give some, no, actually, a lot of credit to the Steeler front office for the way they do business. The Steelers have 9 players (maybe 10) on IR, 3 starters (Sepulveda, Simmons and Warren), a promising rookie, a specialy teams ace, a solid proven backup quarterback, the starting running back has missed 4 weeks of the season, the starting LT has missed two games now, Kiesel has missed time, Hampton (pro-bowl NT) has missed time, a starting cornerback is out for a few more weeks, the starting FS is out, Ben gets hurt and now the starting TE has issues.

The Steelers are 6-2 folks and lead the AFCN by one game. Lets give the FO some credit for putting together a very deep team that has players ready to step in and fill big shoes when asked to do so. We belabor the point of signing Max Starks to a 7 million dollar contract and completely overlook Mewelde Moore, William Gay, Nick Eason, Chris Hoke, Stapleton, Leftwich, Townsend, Berger, Retkofksy (WTF, this guy was stacking shelves a week ago and was solid last night), etc.

We obsess over one screw up and overlook all the good work that is going on and as I type this response it has come to my attention that Mike Tomlin is not getting adequate credit for having backups prepared to play pivotal roles for the Steelers and not just in spot duty. Parker was down for 4 weeks, Simmons is done for the year, Smith is out indefinitely (I guess), Ben can't return to a critical game that the Steelers are only leading by 4 points, McFadden has missed 2 games, it goes on and on and on...

This Steelers football team is a resilient bunch and it appears that Tomlin refuses to allow the things that he can't control affect what the Steelers do offensively or defensively. I'd like to give the FO and the coaching staff a standing ovation at the halfway point of the season. :Beer :Clap :Bow

Pappy

SteelerNation1
11-04-2008, 11:57 AM
Nice post pap. :Clap

Oviedo
11-04-2008, 11:58 AM
Could not agree more. This team and the entire organization is way more right than wrong. For all the constant complainers, move to Cincinatti and become a Bumgals fan and then come crawling back.

NC Steeler Fan
11-04-2008, 12:00 PM
Now, see, this is the type of attitude I want our players to have.

Ask any team that wins a Super Bowl what it took to get there and
I'll bet every time they'll say an attitude of determination and winning
despite the adversities and odds laid out before them.

Someone who focuses ONLY on the negative gets their worst fears in
return.

Yeah, it's okay to get P.O.'d and make changes when necessary. It
would be stupid not to sometimes. But, I've found personally in life
that you often get back what you most put your energies into...

papillon
11-04-2008, 12:19 PM
Nice post pap. :Clap

Thanks brother, sometimes, you just have to step back and take a look at what is happening and be thankful that you weren't born in Cleveland, Cincinnati, Baltimore, etc...

:brownssuck :ratsuck :bungalssuck

:Cheers

Pappy

MeetJoeGreene
11-04-2008, 12:44 PM
Count me in!!!

The thing that REALLY amazes me is how we MINIMAL mention in the media of just how many injuries we endure.

http://www.thebostonbachelor.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/05/kool-aid-man.png

Iron Shiek
11-04-2008, 12:51 PM
Here here Pap! :Clap

:Agree

When taking a step back, they are in a good position. Like NC said, specific things can pi$$ us off and we as fans can get mad, but you have to commend the preperation and determination of the coaches and players.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-04-2008, 01:28 PM
(And here's my reply in my other thread (Miller ... calf injury) where I suggested you repost your comment here for greater exposure) ...

:Clap :Clap :Clap

Nicely put, B-fly man. May I suggest you make a thread of its own with the identical post? It will get more deserved exposure there.

We MAY not win the Superbowl this year (1), and not ALL of Tomlin's decisions have been, with the retrospectoscope on "Sensitive" setting, perfect.

But I agree this is the right man for this team. We are playing Steeler football, and that means we are strong emotionally and mentally, as well as physically. Fans who expect perfection in every decision and every play execution, and who expect a perfect season followed by a perfect Superbowl can go follow the Patriots. Oh, sorry, I forgot, they didn't win last year did they?

(1) Having said that, I think we do go all the way this year! I think losing to the G-men last week (a team I respect highly) is kind of like when they lost to the Pats in the last game of the season - showed we can play even with the best in the NFL with at least an even chance of beating anyone.

costanza2k1
11-04-2008, 02:28 PM
Hey Pappy one word,

RESPECT

SteelerNation1
11-04-2008, 02:55 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but I think Ty Carter, Nick Eason, Travis Kirschke, and even Max Starks should get special mention because they played well last night...esp Carter and Eason. I was one of the anti-Carter guys and anti-Eason guys, but they both have played well

SteelTorch
11-04-2008, 02:58 PM
Great post pappy! Now I forgive you for suggesting Leftwich is better than Ben. :lol:

Iron Shiek
11-04-2008, 03:34 PM
I didn't want to start a new thread for this, but I think Ty Carter, Nick Eason, Travis Kirschke, and even Max Starks should get special mention because they played well last night...esp Carter and Eason. I was one of the anti-Carter guys and anti-Eason guys, but they both have played well

Eason put in some good reps...good to see for all the crap we've all given him.

Starks could've easily let our team avoid a turnover by being "smart" and knocking that ball down. He had to know the ball was tipped. I swear if I remember right he looked up and ducked away from the ball when it hit his shoulder. So that kinda sucked, but he held up okay I suppose blocking wise last night. Without Heath helping next week, he (and the rest of the line) could get exposed though.

papillon
11-04-2008, 03:59 PM
Great post pappy! Now I forgive you for suggesting Leftwich is better than Ben. :lol:

Torch, let me just say this and I think this will help you out a bit when you read things that I write that may or may not be flattering to a Steeler player. I was born and raised in the Pittsburgh area and, as such, I am a fan of the Pittsburgh Steelers and not any specific player. I will not buy a jersey or any memorabilia of a player until they've retired and have proven that (in my mind) they represented the Steelers and the city in a commendable fashion on and off the field.

That's why I can divorce myself from being a Ben homer and believing that everything he does is right and he can't make mistakes. The Steelers aren't winning super bowls w/o Ben at the helm, but he has to play better than he has been lately. Last night's game should have shown those that believe Ben can do wrong that it is not necessarily the OL, the RBs or the WRs that were causing offensive problems for the Steelers. Last night proves that Ben has a lot of culpability in the futility of the offense.

Yes, Leftwich got sacked, but, he also did some things that Ben rarely does; kept a play alive and found Moore for big gain with YAC and not by throwing 25 yards; he delivered some balls on time and on target when his plant foot hit the ground and he made a beautiful pre-snap read on Holmes' touchdown (this play was a planned running play that Holmes and Leftwich turned into a passing TD).

So, when I'm playing devil's advocate don't think I hate the player that I may be maligning at that particular time. I am first and foremost a Steeler fan and not a fan of the Steeler players per se. It doesn't matter who is wearing the jersey; I cheer for the jersey.

I hope that helps, if not, well, then :moon .... :tt2

Pappy

SteelTorch
11-04-2008, 04:37 PM
That's why I can divorce myself from being a Ben homer and believing that everything he does is right and he can't make mistakes. The Steelers aren't winning super bowls w/o Ben at the helm, but he has to play better than he has been lately. Last night's game should have shown those that believe Ben can do wrong that it is not necessarily the OL, the RBs or the WRs that were causing offensive problems for the Steelers. Last night proves that Ben has a lot of culpability in the futility of the offense.
I watched that game too, and I saw how many catchable balls were dropped by our receivers and how they weren't getting good separation until later on. Plus, the Skins' secondary is very good, the reason their D is ranked so highly right now. The fact that Leftwich did better is more coincidence than anything. I guarantee Ben would have done as well as he did in the second half, that is, provided he hadn't been injured.

Granted, Ben could have and should have done better, but the WR's deserve just as much blame. For you to lay the blame squarely on him is wrong.

Yes, Leftwich got sacked, but, he also did some things that Ben rarely does; kept a play alive
Pappy
Woah woah woah! Did you honestly just type that? Ben RARELY keeps plays alive???? I'm not saying you can't criticize the guy, but....DAMN! Did you realize that's what he's known for? Did you even watch last season? I'm sorry, but that has to be the most ignorant thing I've ever seen you say. Shame on you. :nono

papillon
11-04-2008, 05:09 PM
I watched that game too, and I saw how many catchable balls were dropped by our receivers and how they weren't getting good separation until later on. Plus, the Skins' secondary is very good, the reason their D is ranked so highly right now. The fact that Leftwich did better is more coincidence than anything. I guarantee Ben would have done as well as he did in the second half, that is, provided he hadn't been injured.

Granted, Ben could have and should have done better, but the WR's deserve just as much blame. For you to lay the blame squarely on him is wrong.

Yes, Leftwich got sacked, but, he also did some things that Ben rarely does; kept a play alive
Pappy
Woah woah woah! Did you honestly just type that? Ben RARELY keeps plays alive???? I'm not saying you can't criticize the guy, but....DAMN! Did you realize that's what he's known for? Did you even watch last season? I'm sorry, but that has to be the most ignorant thing I've ever seen you say. Shame on you. :nono

I didn't do a very good job of writing my statement about keeping the play alive. I meant keep the play alive and then just take easy dump off and let the skill player do the rest. Obviously, Ben keeps many plays alive, however, he's typically looking for the big ball to gain 25-30 yards, where Leftwich just threw it 3-4 yards and let Moore run the other 20. Sorry, I couldn't get that out in print the first time. And, since, we know Ben can make the big play, how much more dangerous would he be if took the small play and let the WR or RB do the rest?

I don't believe that Ben would have had the success last night that Leftwich did in the second half; the receivers were no more open thatn the first half, the line didn't do anything differently (Leftich would have been sacked 4 times if you extrapolate for an entire game), Ben just didn't have his mojo last night.

Pappy

NC Steeler Fan
11-04-2008, 05:32 PM
Um, so like, does anyone here sometimes get the impression
that our O line plays a bit better when Ben is NOT in there?

In other words, when Ben is in, it's almost like "he's the playmaker
and he's prone to do anything, so which way is he going if he takes
off?" v.s. "this is Batch or Lefty, etc., he's not going anywhere and
we gotta help him out?"

Just a thought....

Jigawatts
11-04-2008, 05:35 PM

I don't know, but if I was an offensive lineman I'd do everything in my power within the
rules of the game to make sure that no one touches my 100 million dollar QB.

Those guys should be embarrassed.

AngryAsian
11-04-2008, 09:39 PM

I don't know, but if I was an offensive lineman I'd do everything in my power within the
rules of the game to make sure that no one touches my 100 million dollar QB.

Those guys should be embarrassed.

They play poker with Ben on Monday nights, so if a social aspect like poker doesn't foster friendship and thus fostering a sense of preservation to your friend and comrade.... I don't know what will. I think they need help. Why we continue to have plays that require Ben to go into his vulnerable 7 step drop is beyond retarded. Ben is at his best improvising and playing from a no-huddle shot gun. But yet we continually operate from the same sets that cause Ben to get planted on the turf. Truly sad and unnecessary.

steelz09
11-04-2008, 09:53 PM
After the halfway point I think we should make the following personnel moves:

1) Don't resign Starks
2) Don't resign Smith
3) Cut Simmons

This would save 18+ million dollars minus any penalties due to the cutting of Simmons. Stapleon, while no pro bowler at this point, does no worse than Simmons for a lot less.

I would definitely sign McFadden. I would try to draft a C, and at least 1 tackle. Hopefully a tackle in the first round. I also would like to see at least one OL and/or DL signed as a free agent.

I think this team very SB ready with a solid O-Line, but we need D-line depth too... especially young D-Line to groom under the vets.

Jooser
11-05-2008, 12:26 AM
Who's the Master?!?

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/8962/shonufflx1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Well, I think that Tomlin and Co. are definitely starting to feel that glow. Can ya hear me? Who's the Master?!?!?!?! :lol:

AngryAsian
11-05-2008, 01:28 AM
Who's the Master?!?

http://img222.imageshack.us/img222/8962/shonufflx1.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Well, I think that Tomlin and Co. are definitely starting to feel that glow. Can ya hear me? Who's the Master?!?!?!?! :lol:

ShoNuff!... kiss my converse!

Jooser
11-05-2008, 01:53 AM
LMMFAO! Shonuff, shiz!

Discipline of Steel
11-06-2008, 08:26 AM
After the halfway point I think we should make the following personnel moves:

1) Don't resign Starks
2) Don't resign Smith
3) Cut Simmons

This would save 18+ million dollars minus any penalties due to the cutting of Simmons. Stapleon, while no pro bowler at this point, does no worse than Simmons for a lot less.

I would definitely sign McFadden. I would try to draft a C, and at least 1 tackle. Hopefully a tackle in the first round. I also would like to see at least one OL and/or DL signed as a free agent.

I think this team very SB ready with a solid O-Line, but we need D-line depth too... especially young D-Line to groom under the vets.

I agree with you J, except I would put it in reverse order...

1-CUT SIMMONS
2-Dont resign Smith
3-Probably dont resign Starks unless he shows some more improvement and is willing to accept a Steeler friendly contract.

and I would add...

4-Resign Kemoeatu
5-Move Colon to G

Draft priorities (assuming they can somehow retain BMac)
1-OT (trade up for Jake Long/Joe Thomas stock)
2-DT (drop Hampton?)
3-OT (or free agent)
4-DE

Im not sure I see the need at C with Hartwig and Stapleton