PDA

View Full Version : Rolling Pocket

stlrz d
11-04-2008, 10:22 AM
When are we going to get one? It's clear defenses are rushing straight up the field on the outside and then pinching to the middle so Ben can't scramble outside. Why not set up in shotgun and roll to one side or the other? Yes it takes away part of the field, but it also gives Ben room to move AND makes that back side rusher cover a LOT of ground just to get to the QB.

We used to do this quite a bit...even with Arians calling the plays...why not anymore? :HeadBanger

RussBII
11-04-2008, 10:47 AM
When are we going to get one? It's clear defenses are rushing straight up the field on the outside and then pinching to the middle so Ben can't scramble outside. Why not set up in shotgun and roll to one side or the other? Yes it takes away part of the field, but it also gives Ben room to move AND makes that back side rusher cover a LOT of ground just to get to the QB.

We used to do this quite a bit...even with Arians calling the plays...why not anymore? :HeadBanger

Money money money....

If I recall, a lot of Ben's sacks are him stepping sideways in the pocket to avoid the straight ahead pressure. He invariably runs into someone who can then release from their blocker.... I know that happened at least once last night.

Quite simply, the pocket never really forms... So get him on some roll outs already. He throws fine on the run, we all know that.

proudpittsburgher
11-04-2008, 11:07 AM
I said as much in another thread . . . but not only does the o-line not give Ben a pocket to throw from, but they don't seem to give him anywhere to exit from either. It's frustrating. I'm not pinnign all of this on the o-line, but Ben really doesn't have anywhere to go, and no recievers are ever open before it is too late for him.