PDA

View Full Version : Forgot how good Willie was

SteelerNation1
11-04-2008, 08:53 AM
Man, he makes a difference being the lineup. He was so "shifty" last night. It's good to have him back. Don't get me wrong Moore played great in his absence and I love his role on the team, but he's no Parker.

Oviedo
11-04-2008, 08:57 AM
Parker is underappreciated and always will be because he isn't 275lbs and named Jerome Bettis. We got spoiled with having a once in a generation RB and everyone will pale by comparision.

I think the person who we will really miss over the last 8 games is Mendenhall. He would have added a dimension of power to the backfield that no one other than maybe Gary Russell can come close to.

Why we activate Carey Davis is absolutely beyond my feeble comprehension.

proudpittsburgher
11-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Agreed. Willie has his deficiencies, but he brings a lot as well. That being said, I really like what Memo brings to the table and wouldn't mind seeing both of them in the backfield at some point, maybe splitting memo out?

Iron Shiek
11-04-2008, 09:30 AM
Man, he makes a difference being the lineup. He was so "shifty" last night. It's good to have him back. Don't get me wrong Moore played great in his absence and I love his role on the team, but he's no Parker.

:wft do you mean!? His trade value is at an all time high now!!! :roll:

Heck yeah, he was ballin' last night. I wish they would've ran with him MORE. He was slashing right through their line and bouncing it outside nicely with some success.

papillon
11-04-2008, 09:58 AM

The best thing that Parker brings to the Steelers is his f***ing attitude. He's a GD warrior that really isn't appreciated by the fans ni general. He can play on a team that I own anytime he wants; he may not be the most skilled (although he's darn good), he may not be the best pass receiver (getting better, hopefully) and he may not be the best in pass protection (although he had a beauty on Nates 50 yarder last night), but there isn't a running back in the league that brings the goods to every carry the way Parker does and that counts for a lot, IMHO.

Pappy

stlrz d
11-04-2008, 10:16 AM
Parker showed once again that the rumors of his demise are premature and exaggerated.

Jooser
11-04-2008, 10:52 AM
I agree, it was great to have Willie back last night. Imagine if Ben would actually dump off a pass to him that wide open in the middle of the field. By the way, Carey Davis must go, he made one decent block last night when we were pinned down in our side of the field, otherwise he was worthless. He misses so many blocks and doesn't contribute at all running the ball.

RussBII
11-04-2008, 10:56 AM
My one problem with Willie is that he's not the best when there isn't a clear cut hole for him. And behind a line that is suspect at best, that's a bit of a liability.

Now, that is my only issue with him. I'd still take him over the majority of starting RBs in the league just because of his attitude and desire. If we could get some road graders in there, Willie'd get 1800 yards a season.

SteelerNation1
11-04-2008, 11:01 AM
He can play on a team that I own anytime he wants

Are you in the running for purchasing the Steelers? :lol:

proudpittsburgher
11-04-2008, 11:02 AM
My one problem with Willie is that he's not the best when there isn't a clear cut hole for him. And behind a line that is suspect at best, that's a bit of a liability.

Now, that is my only issue with him. I'd still take him over the majority of starting RBs in the league just because of his attitude and desire. If we could get some road graders in there, Willie'd get 1800 yards a season.

As far as the hole comment, you could say that about most of the backs in the league, but I get your point. If anything, not having a hole allows him to break it to the outside, which is his game anyway. It's tough to plug up the holes inside AND cover the outside as well.

stlrz d
11-04-2008, 11:30 AM
I agree, it was great to have Willie back last night. Imagine if Ben would actually dump off a pass to him that wide open in the middle of the field. By the way, Carey Davis must go, he made one decent block last night when we were pinned down in our side of the field, otherwise he was worthless. He misses so many blocks and doesn't contribute at all running the ball.

I expressed that same opinion in the game chat last night. Man, FWP with that blazing speed in that open field...just imagine!!!

proudpittsburgher
11-04-2008, 11:43 AM

I expressed that same opinion in the game chat last night. Man, FWP with that blazing speed in that open field...just imagine!!!

I'm starting to think that FW doesn't really have the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. I say that because it is the only rational argument to why our OC hasn't taken something this obvious into account for the better part of two seasons.

stlrz d
11-04-2008, 11:47 AM

I'm starting to think that FW doesn't really have the ability to catch the ball out of the backfield. I say that because it is the only rational argument to why our OC hasn't taken something this obvious into account for the better part of two seasons.

I posted a thread awhile back (on the trib board) that took a lot of research. Anyway, you have to go all the way back to John L. Williams to find a Steelers RB that was thrown to with any regularity.

I think we've had plenty of guys who can catch since then...we just don't throw it to them.

RussBII
11-04-2008, 11:49 AM
[quote=Jooser]I agree, it was great to have Willie back last night. Imagine if Ben would actually dump off a pass to him that wide open in the middle of the field. By the way, Carey Davis must go, he made one decent block last night when we were pinned down in our side of the field, otherwise he was worthless. He misses so many blocks and doesn't contribute at all running the ball.

I posted a thread awhile back (on the trib board) that took a lot of research. Anyway, you have to go all the way back to John L. Williams to find a Steelers RB that was thrown to with any regularity.

I think we've had plenty of guys who can catch since then...we just don't throw it to them.[/quote:3chwcsa6]

I'm starting to think it might be Ben. I noted a few times last night where he was looking downfield but things were open closer to the LOS.

papillon
11-04-2008, 11:49 AM
He can play on a team that I own anytime he wants

Are you in the running for purchasing the Steelers? :lol:

I am and I'm looking for investors. If I can find 800 million investors and get a dollar from each I'm good to go. :moon :Cheers

Pappy

stlrz d
11-04-2008, 11:53 AM
[quote=Jooser]I agree, it was great to have Willie back last night. Imagine if Ben would actually dump off a pass to him that wide open in the middle of the field. By the way, Carey Davis must go, he made one decent block last night when we were pinned down in our side of the field, otherwise he was worthless. He misses so many blocks and doesn't contribute at all running the ball.

I think we've had plenty of guys who can catch since then...we just don't throw it to them.

I'm starting to think it might be Ben. I noted a few times last night where he was looking downfield but things were open closer to the LOS.[/quote:3l3qkd4c]

I agree but Ben doesn't always have those options either.

I remember one 3rd and 6 where every receiver was 12-15 yards down field as the D swarmed over Ben.

Conversely, there was the play where Moore was all alone to the right and Ben never looked that way.

Pap - the NFL has a rule on how many owners a team can have. So if you're gonna get that money you had better do it quietly and HOPE all contributors can remain silent! :P

ikestops85
11-04-2008, 11:58 AM

Well the other rational argument is our OC isn't rational. FWP caught 31 passes, 3 for TDs in 2006. Why could he catch then and not now? I don't remember him dropping passes with any frequency like Nate does ... ooops, I mean used to. I often scratch my head wondering why we aren't throwing to our fastest player when teams are coming with an all out blitz. :HeadBanger

SteelerNation1
11-04-2008, 12:05 PM

Well the other rational argument is our OC isn't rational. FWP caught 31 passes, 3 for TDs in 2006. Why could he catch then and not now? I don't remember him dropping passes with any frequency like Nate does ... ooops, I mean used to. I often scratch my head wondering why we aren't throwing to our fastest player when teams are coming with an all out blitz. :HeadBanger
Between Moore, Parker, Davis, Spaeth, and Heath we should develop some kind of a short passing game. There were numerous times last night when memo would sneak out of the backfield and Ben just didn't get him the rock.

papillon
11-04-2008, 12:16 PM
Pap - the NFL has a rule on how many owners a team can have. So if you're gonna get that money you had better do it quietly and HOPE all contributors can remain silent!

Shhhh....don't tell anyone, but: Are you in? :tt2

Pappy

stlrz d
11-04-2008, 12:36 PM
Pap - the NFL has a rule on how many owners a team can have. So if you're gonna get that money you had better do it quietly and HOPE all contributors can remain silent!

Shhhh....don't tell anyone, but: Are you in? :tt2

Pappy

Maybe.

Shhhhhh!!!!!