PDA

View Full Version : Here come the "Start Leftwich!" threads...

SteelTorch
11-04-2008, 12:10 AM
If not here, I can definitely see it happening at the Trib board. :roll:

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-04-2008, 12:45 AM
Not this poster.

I hope Ben is back right away.

I'm also hoping he sees that he needs to be a bit quicker on his reads.

That's OK, he's still the man.

Mel Blount's G
11-04-2008, 01:09 AM
The dumb azzes are already starting these threads up at the trib board. Hilarious

Chadman
11-04-2008, 01:16 AM
Chadman will say this- he's EXTREMELY glad the Steelers could pick up a player of Leftwich's quality to be the back-up.

If Ben has to miss any real time with this shoulder, Chadman feels pretty confident that Byron can keep the offence ticking along.

Chadman feels more confident with Byron back there than, say, Charlie.

stlrz d
11-04-2008, 01:28 AM
I called it when Lefty threw the bomb to Nate. I knew they'd be starting them. :roll:

papillon
11-04-2008, 01:32 AM
If Ben isn't 100% healthy he should sit until he's healthy. The Steelers will need him down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Pappy

Mel Blount's G
11-04-2008, 01:34 AM
If Ben isn't 100% healthy he should sit until he's healthy. The Steelers will need him down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Pappy
I certainly agree with this paps but you know that most of these threads are knee jerk reactions and have nothing to do with Ben not being healthy

costanza2k1
11-04-2008, 01:34 AM
[quote="papillon"]If Ben isn't 100% healthy he should sit until he's healthy. The Steelers will need him down the stretch and into the playoffs.

Pappy[/quote

:Agree

It may not hurt Ben to sit and watch Byron dump some balls down to his checkdowns...

AkronSteel
11-04-2008, 01:37 AM
I agree with Pap! I think Ben should sit until he is completely healthy. Byron can win a couple of games for this team, especially with the next 3 at home. I think it might actually help Ben to watch for a week or two.

kennyes
11-04-2008, 04:13 AM
If not here, I can definitely see it happening at the Trib board. :roll:

No ****... I think I heard Lefty stutter in the ESPN post game interview and I'm sure that alone will trigger a Trib majority vote to start Dixon next week.

AngryAsian
11-04-2008, 08:01 AM
It was nice to see a ball slung over 50 yards... and not have the receiver have to come back to the ball. Catching in stride is a nice feature of a well ran route. As for Ben sitting, I have no issue with him resting his banged up body. We need him fresh when we're deep into our schedule... the final stretch with the Patriots, Cowboys, Ravens, Titans... quite scary. Not because of where these noted teams are with their respective seasons... but more so the match up problems these teams present, esp. the last noted three... all having prolific pass rushes and with our line the way it is.

How we win games with our OLine is beyond me. This can't be fixed now, but the off season, has to have a revamp. We will never know the full capabilities of offensive talent pool with plays never having the ability to develop because of poor line play.... and poor play calling.

Oviedo
11-04-2008, 08:45 AM

Pappy

There is a good point here. If Ben isn't right give him time to get right. We just need Leftwich to fill a short term gap. I think this is the part of the season that we really start to miss Mendenhall and the ability he would add to grind out games on the ground.

MeetJoeGreene
11-04-2008, 08:57 AM
I won't call for Lefty to start, but two observations.

Man his arm is strong. That long toss to Nate was a thing of beauty. Nice looking long ball.

That dump off to Moore was awesome. Ben needs to do more of that. (On his sack at the 15 when we were driving, I believe Ben had Moore out in the flats. Didn't even look).

steelblood
11-04-2008, 09:10 AM
How we win games with our OLine is beyond me. This can't be fixed now, but the off season, has to have a revamp. We will never know the full capabilities of offensive talent pool with plays never having the ability to develop because of poor line play.... and poor play calling.

This may be an unpopular observation, but if you go back and watch the game, the o-line generally did a good job picking up the blitz and giving the QB a window and a pocket to throw the ball. Some of the pressures and sacks came when the running backs (davis in paticular) blew his blitz pickup or didn't stay with their man long enough. The Redksins sent 5-8 guys all night long. Receivers were one-on-one and didn't get open enough (especially in the first half). On some of the pressures and sacks, it was on the receivers or Ben holding the ball too long. In the second half, the line did well holding the pocket against the blitz.

The lines run blocking wasn't great, but it was fine. The Redskins are good at stopping the run and were run blitzing quite a bit. Willie P made some nice runs and missed a few seams and holes that were there. On the third and long draw, Stapleton got rocked back a step too far, but Spaeth and the rest of the line sealed off the skins and left a gaping hole that could should have led to a 20 yard run. It was very impressive.

I'm not saying that the line doesn't need to be improved. I simply feel that they played adequately last night and gave their qbs the time they needed against a never ending series of run and pass blitzes.

Next week, the tackles will be in for a test against Indy. Thank goodness the game is not on turf.

MeetJoeGreene
11-04-2008, 09:12 AM

This may be an unpopular observation, but if you go back and watch the game, the o-line generally did a good job picking up the blitz and giving the QB a window and a pocket to throw the ball. Some of the pressures and sacks came when the running backs (davis in paticular) blew his blitz pickup or didn't stay with their man long enough. The Redksins sent 5-8 guys all night long. Receivers were one-on-one and didn't get open enough (especially in the first half). On some of the pressures and sacks, it was on the receivers or Ben holding the ball too long. In the second half, the line did well holding the pocket against the blitz.

The lines run blocking wasn't great, but it was fine. The Redskins are good at stopping the run and were run blitzing quite a bit. Willie P made some nice runs and missed a few seams and holes that were there. On the third and long draw, Stapleton got rocked back a step too far, but Spaeth and the rest of the line sealed off the skins and left a gaping hole that could should have led to a 20 yard run. It was very impressive.

I'm not saying that the line doesn't need to be improved. I simply feel that they played adequately last night and gave their qbs the time they needed against a never ending series of run and pass blitzes.

Next week, the tackles will be in for a test against Indy. Thank goodness the game is not on turf.

I have an interesting observation... I went to a sports bar for the first half that I ususally don't go to. There were a lot of guys in that bar yelling at Ben to "quit holding onto the ball" or "get rid of it". I agree that the line is a problem, but there are other (not insignificant) contributing factors.

proudpittsburgher
11-04-2008, 09:22 AM
I too thought the o-line played ok. I realize the pocket is never going to be like the one that Manning and Brady sit in all day, all nice and formed around the quarterback, but it doesn't seems as if Ben has any running lanes to escape in many cases.

Problem is, with a quarterback like Ben, who sometimes likes for the play to break down to open up bigger plays, if he can't escape through a lane, then that part of his game gets taken away.

Maybe a former O-lineman of the board could edumacate me on this, but if you can't necessarily stop the rush, can't you at least force them into a certain direction to open up a lane for Ben? As in, don't get beat to the inside.

stlrz d
11-04-2008, 10:03 AM

Man his arm is strong. That long toss to Nate was a thing of beauty. Nice looking long ball.

That dump off to Moore was awesome. Ben needs to do more of that. (On his sack at the 15 when we were driving, I believe Ben had Moore out in the flats. Didn't even look).

Yes, and he didn't even really step into it. That windup still reminds me of Bugs Bunny pitching to himself though! :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okGN1SiLpCE Go to the 2:35 mark. :lol:

Correct...I was screaming at him to throw it to Moore!!!

proudpittsburgher
11-04-2008, 10:10 AM
It was nice to see a ball slung over 50 yards... and not have the receiver have to come back to the ball. Catching in stride is a nice feature of a well ran route.

Actually, if you watch it again, Nate had to come back for that one, otherwise it was a TD. That is what he brings to the table though, a really strong arm where he can get the ball out there.

Oviedo
11-04-2008, 10:10 AM

Yes, and he didn't even really step into it. That windup still reminds me of Bugs Bunny pitching to himself though! :D http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=okGN1SiLpCE Go to the 2:35 mark. :lol:

Correct...I was screaming at him to throw it to Moore!!!

Ben continues to have WR fixation. He is constantly looking for Ward, Holmes and Washington and waiting for them to break open when Miller, Spaeth and Moore all usually always open. The OL is not great but Ben makes their lives a lot harder.

Jooser
11-04-2008, 10:38 AM
I think Ben isn't right in his head right now, and that's a direct result of being so banged up this early in the season. We can't expect him to throw deep all the time with his shoulder so eff'd up. He is getting hit so much that he is literally frozen in the pocket right now. If I know Ben, he'll insist he's ready to go next weekend after sitting out all week. Byron could spell Ben for a few games and let Ben heal and get his Mojo back. I can't understand the disdain here for Lefty, but I think he's a good backup and can really sling the ball with great accuracy. I know he's a statue in the pocket, but right now so is Ben. The difference last night was that Byron just took what the defense was giving him, aka the checkdown to Moore that turned into a huge gain. I love Ben and always will support him, but if you're honest with yourself, you have to admit that Ben hasn't been himself lately. His decision making is slow and he isn't finding open people in checkdowns. That's how I feel, let the rain of fire begin. :o

stlrz d
11-04-2008, 10:50 AM
I think Ben isn't right in his head right now, and that's a direct result of being so banged up this early in the season. We can't expect him to throw deep all the time with his shoulder so eff'd up. He is getting hit so much that he is literally frozen in the pocket right now. If I know Ben, he'll insist he's ready to go next weekend after sitting out all week. Byron could spell Ben for a few games and let Ben heal and get his Mojo back. I can't understand the disdain here for Lefty, but I think he's a good backup and can really sling the ball with great accuracy. I know he's a statue in the pocket, but right now so is Ben. The difference last night was that Byron just took what the defense was giving him, aka the checkdown to Moore that turned into a huge gain. I love Ben and always will support him, but if you're honest with yourself, you have to admit that Ben hasn't been himself lately. His decision making is slow and he isn't finding open people in checkdowns. That's how I feel, let the rain of fire begin. :o

For whatever reason, Ben doesn't always seem to have checkdown options, but I agree that when he does he seems to be reluctant to look to them.

I really miss the Ben (and offense) of old that had him making Favre like plays...all but wrapped up and finding a RB or TE close by to flip the ball to when the rest of the D had pretty much stopped because they assumed he was sacked.

proudpittsburgher
11-04-2008, 11:04 AM
Funny thing is madtowndrunkard, over on the trib board, is defending emphatically that Ben was benched. He doesn't see that he didn't reenter the game, because it wasn't necessary considering his injury and the fact that Lefty drove us downfield on the first drive. MTD's sticking to his guns, though. :D

stlrz d
11-04-2008, 11:37 AM
Funny thing is madtowndrunkard, over on the trib board, is defending emphatically that Ben was benched. He doesn't see that he didn't reenter the game, because it wasn't necessary considering his injury and the fact that Lefty drove us downfield on the first drive. MTD's sticking to his guns, though. :D

Forgot about that guy. I'm not surprised though. I'm sure my old buddy teecee is with him. :roll:

proudpittsburgher
11-04-2008, 11:42 AM

Forgot about that guy. I'm not surprised though. I'm sure my old buddy teecee is with him. :roll:

Honestly, I don't think he is malicious about it, just that he really thinks that not returning to a game that is in hand while you are injurred is the same as being benched. I continue to marvel in amazement at how dense our fan base can be sometimes.