PDA

View Full Version : Onside kick to start the game - Ariens pulls one out

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-03-2008, 09:56 PM
:Bow :Bow A sage of the gridiron, one for the ages.

:wft

Written when we're down 6-0. I'm still hoping for a win...

Iron Shiek
11-03-2008, 10:11 PM
I actually didn't mind that call. Try to sneak them. Shows faith in our defense...they are manning up big time.

Phucking offense is sucking..whats new.

RKSteel
11-03-2008, 11:16 PM
I actually didn't mind that call. Try to sneak them. Shows faith in our defense...they are manning up big time.

I agree. If the offense can get on track, w/ the D playing lights out, the Steelers could be unstopable.

Iron Shiek
11-03-2008, 11:22 PM

I agree. If the offense can get on track, w/ the D playing lights out, the Steelers could be unstopable.

I'm starting to finally turn on the hope of the offense suddenly figuring it out. Its half way point of the season, and we still suck. I've been the biggest glass half full guy with this offense, and i've voiced my concerns about arians' playcalling. But I can't give the players a pass in this game. Unless some serious fire is lit under their a$$ in the locker room, i wouldn't expect them to suddenly start executing.

steelblood
11-04-2008, 08:53 AM
I don't think that Arians had anything to do with that call. I'd say it was Tomlin and the special teams coach. I liked the call. Harrison could have made a play for the ball, but he went to wipe out the guy who fielded it.

The playcalling was not the problem in the first half. The problem was 1) awful drops by receivers (santonio dropped his first three), 2) lack of a dominant downhill running attack, 3) a bad bounce off max starks huge back, 4) some good coverage by the skins, 5) some bad passes/miscomunications, and 6) some poor blitz pickups -usually by running backs.

I thought the playcalling was generally good. The Steelers were aggressive and often went downfield with the ball until we had a big lead. There were outlet receivers short and in the flat on several plays (Ben missed Moore wide open on a critical third down when he stepped up and got sacked). They didn't go vanilla when leftwich came in.

Oviedo
11-04-2008, 09:05 AM
I don't think that Arians had anything to do with that call. I'd say it was Tomlin and the special teams coach. I liked the call. Harrison could have made a play for the ball, but he went to wipe out the guy who fielded it.

The playcalling was not the problem in the first half. The problem was 1) awful drops by receivers (santonio dropped his first three), 2) lack of a dominant downhill running attack, 3) a bad bounce off max starks huge back, 4) some good coverage by the skins, 5) some bad passes/miscomunications, and 6) some poor blitz pickups -usually by running backs.

I thought the playcalling was generally good. The Steelers were aggressive and often went downfield with the ball until we had a big lead. There were outlet receivers short and in the flat on several plays (Ben missed Moore wide open on a critical third down when he stepped up and got sacked). They didn't go vanilla when leftwich came in.

Correct. It was not playcalling, and rarely is, it was execution by the players particularly Ben. Execute on half the offensive plays in the 1st half and we blow out the 'skins by the beginning of the 3rd.

All the blame on playcalling is just another way of saying I spent $125 on a player jersey so I don't want to bash them so I'll bash the coaches. :wink:

Iron Shiek
11-04-2008, 09:23 AM
I totally agree as well. The pi$$ poor execution at some basic fundamentals was causing me fits. Starks is simply an idiot. And the WR's were having some serious trouble getting open. THeir secondary wasn't that good. It was nice to see some life in the offense in the second half though.

Djfan
11-04-2008, 11:02 AM
There's no excuse for bad execution ever. But, one way to light a fire under the offense is to give them plays that they believe in. Having a poor line, and asking them to protect Ben for 5-7 seconds on each play is a bad idea. BA seems to only have "take a long time to develop" plays. When Ben threw quick passes they were on the money and worked. Both of them.

SteelerOfDeVille
11-04-2008, 01:21 PM

I said the same thing to my wife as I watched the game... I said, "they have confidence in the defense - maybe to a fault... but, THEY'RE THAT GOOD."

And to give them the ball twice IN FG range and not even give up a first down on those two drives... I was right. they ARE that good.

pittpete
11-04-2008, 01:40 PM
I have to disagree.
I still think its a combination of the playcalling,Ben,the O-line and WRs.
We couldnt gain a yard on 3rd and 2 twice.
On the second 3rd and two when Ben got sacked there were two recievers well past the coverage in the middle of the field and not more than 5 yards apart from each other.
Ben almost always ignores his safety valve in Mewelde.
Lets face it, Ben is shellshocked from being hit so many times and who could blame him.
He has developed happy feet.
When was the last time you saw him pull down the ball and run it?
Hes playing injured, has an inconsistent O-line and an OC who wants to go long every play.
An idiot could see that the Skins were playing man almost every play and the 10 yard button hooks were not there.
Cant blame one aspect of the game when you have a putrid offense like we have shown the last 2 weeks.
Having Willie back helps immensely and hopefully we can start running the ball like we used to with some authority :2c