PDA

View Full Version : The Mighty Quinn?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-03-2008, 07:09 PM
Read on another board that DA being benched.

Didn't they score a decent amount of points yesterday? Are they just giving up on the season, and figure they may as well give Zorro some reps?

And more to the point ... can DA play center?

Ozey74
11-03-2008, 07:51 PM
This is great news!! It makes their game on Thursday night much more interesting to watch.

:brownssuck

costanza2k1
11-03-2008, 07:56 PM
Browns are done:

Monday, November 3, 2008
Browns move Quinn into starting lineup, replacing inconsistent Anderson at QB
By John Clayton
ESPN.com

The Cleveland Browns benched quarterback Derek Anderson on Monday in favor of fan favorite Brady Quinn.

The switch was announced Monday by the team, just hours after coach Romeo Crennel said he had no plans to make a change.

"No, I haven't really [considered it]," he said. "I haven't had a chance to talk to the coaches or anything. With a short week, I told them to go ahead and get started on Denver. They haven't even looked at this game yet."

Crennel was then asked if Anderson was still his starter.

"Yes," he said, "as of right now."

The move itself wasn't a surprise. After eight games, Anderson was completing less than 50 percent of his passes for a 3-5 team that is now a longshot to make the playoffs.

The Browns must feel it's time to see what they have in Quinn, who didn't play as a rookie until the final game of 2007, when he came in for one series and led the Browns to a field goal. Quinn was 3-of-8 for 45 yards and had a TD pass dropped by tight end Kellen Winslow.

The problem facing Quinn is whether he can turn around the Browns and salvage something from this season. Unfortunately for him, Quinn doesn't have the benefit of a full week of practice. The Browns host the Broncos on Thursday night, so Quinn will have only one really good practice with the first team.

On top of that, Quinn inherits the problems that got Anderson benched. During the offseason, the Browns invested in a seven-year, $35 million contract to bring Donte Stallworth's run-after-the catch ability to the offense. Because of injuries, Stallworth has barely been able to run onto the field. He's played three games and has seven catches, leaving the No. 2 wide receiver a non-functioning part of the offense.

No. 1 receiver Braylon Edwards leads the league in dropped passes, which obviously dragged down Anderson's accuracy and frustrated fans. After catching 82 passes last season, tight end Kellen Winslow hasn't been the same threat, catching only 26 passes in six games with a 9.7 yard per catch average, 3.8 yards less than last season.

Quinn will bring energy and excitement to Cleveland. He'll also have the benefit of playing one of the worst defenses in football, which can make an average quarterback look good.

The problem facing Quinn is if he has a bad game. Quinn is the hope of the Browns fans. He's an Ohio native. Now, it's his team. For Anderson, he'll just have to await an offseason trade.

Anderson, who has been inconsistent this season, threw a costly interception that was returned for a touchdown in the final minutes of Sunday's 37-27 loss to the Baltimore Ravens. The pick prompted Browns fans to begin chants of "Brady! Brady!" for Quinn, the former Notre Dame star who has thrown just eight passes in two seasons.

A team spokesman said Crennel and Quinn would not be available for comment until Tuesday.

Earlier, Quinn was asked for his reaction to hearing fans call his name.

"We lost the game, really that's all that matters," he said. "That's something in the NFL, everyone always loves the backup. That's just how it is. It's not any different any place else."

RuthlessBurgher
11-03-2008, 08:15 PM
they may as well give Zorro some reps?

The Gay Blade? Nice. :lol:

Ozey74
11-03-2008, 08:22 PM

Not a good day to be Hank Fraley is it?

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-03-2008, 08:41 PM

Yup :D

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-03-2008, 08:41 PM
Duplicate post, sorry.

RuthlessBurgher
11-03-2008, 08:56 PM
Hank will have to join the "Creepy Guy in the Yellow Shirt" support group:

http://deadspin.com/assets/resources/2007/05/yipesbrady.jpg

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-03-2008, 09:03 PM
Duplicate post, sorry.

Starlifter
11-03-2008, 09:14 PM
i think the pick 6 that DA threw to seal the loss - sealed his fate. most of us had predicted zorro by week 5, not too bad for amateurs.......

Iron Shiek
11-03-2008, 11:20 PM
i think the pick 6 that DA threw to seal the loss - sealed his fate. most of us had predicted zorro by week 5, not too bad for amateurs.......

The problem with this statement Starlifter is that Romeo Crennel was in his usual Monday spot on Sirius NFL Radio today. As usual he sounded dejected and defeated and didn't sound like he knew what the heck he was going to do next. But he was pretty adamant that "one play would not make his decision" and that the specific TAINT (touchdown after interception, credit Bill Simmons) didn't lose him the job because they were in the game for most of the time.

Anyway, it surprised me to hear the news. I guess the pressure (or Savage) finally got to him. I can't wait to see Queen crackle under the pressure.

Jigawatts
11-03-2008, 11:24 PM
Hank will have to join the "Creepy Guy in the Yellow Shirt" support group:

http://deadspin.com/assets/resources/2007/05/yipesbrady.jpg

VH1 should do a Where Are They Now show on that kid.

RuthlessBurgher
11-04-2008, 03:39 AM
Most teams try to make a major change like inserting a young, untested QB into their starting lineup during, say, a bye week to give him an extra opportunity to get the gameplan down and to have more practice time with the #1's. I realize that Cleveland's bye was back in week 5, so that is not possible now, but why make this change when they have a quick turnaround from a Sunday game to a Thursday night game? You could start Anderson this Thursday and then have 10 days to get Quinn accustomed to the starting role in practice before their next game instead of giving the kid his first start with only 3 days to prepare from one game to the next. Yet another reason why the Browns are stupid.

costanza2k1
11-04-2008, 07:39 AM
Did you guys hear Trent Dilfer rip those guys apart on the pregame show? It was brutal, I'll try and find a link. Basically said the owners listen to the fans that's how they make their decisions. God forbid the Rooney's start listening to us who knows what would happen.

Oviedo
11-04-2008, 08:50 AM
As most of us said:

1. Derek Anderson=Fraud.
2. Browns=Frauds and Pretenders

Quinn is just the next Pretender.

Chadman
11-04-2008, 08:54 AM
Come all without, come all within
You'll not see nothing like the Mighty Quinn

Sorry...stuck in Chadman's head now...

Oviedo
11-04-2008, 09:01 AM

Sorry...stuck in Chadman's head now...\

Maybe Manfred Mann has paid the Browns to start Quinn so he can release the song and make some bucks. After all the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is in Cleveland.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-04-2008, 09:22 AM

Sorry...stuck in Chadman's head now...\

Maybe Manfred Mann has paid the Browns to start Quinn so he can release the song and make some bucks. After all the Rock and Roll Hall of Fame is in Cleveland.

It's Bob Dylan (first)!

Iron Shiek
11-04-2008, 09:26 AM
Most teams try to make a major change like inserting a young, untested QB into their starting lineup during, say, a bye week to give him an extra opportunity to get the gameplan down and to have more practice time with the #1's. I realize that Cleveland's bye was back in week 5, so that is not possible now, but why make this change when they have a quick turnaround from a Sunday game to a Thursday night game? You could start Anderson this Thursday and then have 10 days to get Quinn accustomed to the starting role in practice before their next game instead of giving the kid his first start with only 3 days to prepare from one game to the next. Yet another reason why the Browns are stupid.

From what I remember though, they have been splitting most of the 1st team reps for a while now (that was reported back a few weeks ago when Anderson was really sucking -- well I guess that hasn't changed). Anyway, you have a valid point, put your young guy in a position to succeed not fail (and by succeed I mean by Stains standards...which would usually mean he'd fail in other team situations).

proudpittsburgher
11-04-2008, 10:08 AM

From what I remember though, they have been splitting most of the 1st team reps for a while now (that was reported back a few weeks ago when Anderson was really sucking -- well I guess that hasn't changed). Anyway, you have a valid point, put your young guy in a position to succeed not fail (and by succeed I mean by Stains standards...which would usually mean he'd fail in other team situations).

Cleveland, as an organization has made many questionable moves since they came back in the league, and this is just another in a long line. Really, from Crennell to the front office, is there a more poorly run team, than this? They have some company from the Bungles/Lions/Raiders, but they really are poorly run. They went from a team with two good quarterbacks, to potentially none once we find out that BQ was a fraud from his first snap at Notre Dame. How in the heck do you screw that up?

RuthlessBurgher
11-04-2008, 11:17 AM
As most of us said:

1. Derek Anderson=Fraud.
2. Browns=Frauds and Pretenders

Quinn is just the next Pretender.

Thanks for getting the "Mighty Quinn" song out of my head, but now "The Great Pretender" is stuck in there instead. :evil:

Oviedo
11-04-2008, 11:24 AM

Cleveland, as an organization has made many questionable moves since they came back in the league, and this is just another in a long line. Really, from Crennell to the front office, is there a more poorly run team, than this? They have some company from the Bungles/Lions/Raiders, but they really are poorly run. They went from a team with two good quarterbacks, to potentially none once we find out that BQ was a fraud from his first snap at Notre Dame. How in the heck do you screw that up?

The Bumgals, Lions and Raiders are all worse run than the Stains. The Lions have a glimmer of hope since they got rid on Millen. The Bumgals and raiders will always suck as long as their current owners breath air.

RuthlessBurgher
11-04-2008, 01:29 PM

The Bumgals, Lions and Raiders are all worse run than the Stains. The Lions have a glimmer of hope since they got rid on Millen. The Bumgals and raiders will always suck as long as their current owners breath air.

:Agree

The Browns and Lions organizations both suck out loud, but it appears that they are at least trying to get better, even if they aren't doing a passable job at it. I just shake my head in wonderment sometimes at the moves that Al Davis and Mike Brown make.