View Full Version : LVG's Thread Locked?!

Flasteel
11-03-2008, 03:46 PM
As much as I can't stand the whining that Las Vegas Guy continually spews over Tomlin, he had a very good point about posts being deleted. That level of censorship is exactly why I started to come here in the first place.

If the sorry individual responsible for deleting or locking posts and threads continues this douchebaggery, I will be joining LVG in slamming this board anywhere I can.

Unless something is obviously profane or offensive...leave it alone! If you can't take the criticism, then I suggest you step away from the 'net comrade.

Steeler Mafia
11-03-2008, 03:48 PM
:Agree :wft

costanza2k1
11-03-2008, 03:55 PM
I agree, too...sometimes people get passionate about a topic and should be allowed to do so. Either we can let it bother us or we can ignore it. I don't believe a post should be deleted based on expressing an opinion even if it's done in every thread on the forum. If he was attacking people or not using obvious conduct rules like dropping the N word or telling someone to F off then maybe a delete. Otherwise let him carry on.

Just my 20 cents per the smiley

:2c

Oviedo
11-03-2008, 03:57 PM
You'll have a much greater censorship issue with President Obama. This is nothing.

Give us the ability to block people like LVG. As soon as we see his name we know what the post is going to be about so let us block him. That way he can post all he wants just nobody will be reading.

proudpittsburgher
11-03-2008, 03:59 PM
I was one of the main opponents to LVG recently, but I too defend his right to be who he is. No one is saying you can't feel a certain way about something. Just defend yourself well.

NC Steeler Fan
11-03-2008, 04:01 PM
You guys obviously missed the F bomb that can be snuck in here
quite easily by using a different letter case?

I say don't let the door hit you in the ass...

LasVegasGuy
11-03-2008, 04:03 PM
I agree, too...sometimes people get passionate about a topic and should be allowed to do so. Either we can let it bother us or we can ignore it. I don't believe a post should be deleted based on expressing an opinion even if it's done in every thread on the forum. If he was attacking people or not using obvious conduct rules like dropping the N word or telling someone to F off then maybe a delete. Otherwise let him carry on.

Thanks guys. I'm a little bit of a jerk when it comes to Tomlin, and I can admit that, but that is my opinion of the guy. You either like it, leave it or you counter back with your own opinion. This board has become very one sided for me and I am joining the countless others who have abandoned the Planet for good. If you can't debate a topic whether good or bad then what good is the message boad you are promoting?

proudpittsburgher
11-03-2008, 04:03 PM

:D :D

Oviedo
11-03-2008, 04:06 PM

Thanks guys. I'm a little bit of a jerk when it comes to Tomlin, and I can admit that, but that is my opinion of the guy. You either like it, leave it or you counter back with your own opinion. This board has become very one sided for me and I am joining the countless others who have abandoned the Planet for good. If you can't debate a topic whether good or bad then what good is the message boad you are promoting?

Bye

Flasteel
11-03-2008, 04:08 PM

There is no F-bomb in his locked thread, just the word ****. There are many ways to bypass the "bad word" filter, but unless someone is going over the line as stated previously, then it is simply wrong to delete or lock.

There's an old military saying that I may not agree with what you said, but I'll die to defend your right to say it. That my friends is the essence of what this country is all about. People who try to quell the opinions of others, simply because they don't like them are among the lowest forms of human life...period.

proudpittsburgher
11-03-2008, 04:10 PM

No, I completely agree with you about the point of a message board, but there are many points which you refuse to even address, and make blanket statements about people or coaches. It's a waste of our time to even address them. There is a noticable difference between havign an opinion, and turning into total doom and gloom all of the time.

NC Steeler Fan
11-03-2008, 04:11 PM
You'll have a much greater censorship issue with President Obama. This is nothing.

Good grief man! Can you imagine the censorship if palin took office? She'd be
buring books and having the scriptures be required reading before work starts
every day. She'd probably burn my kind at the stake! (Your friendly pagan
at your service...)

Ahhhhh, I don't think so...
:lol:

NC Steeler Fan
11-03-2008, 04:16 PM

There is no F-bomb in his locked thread, just the word ****. There are many ways to bypass the "bad word" filter, but unless someone is going over the line as stated previously, then it is simply wrong to delete or lock.

There's an old military saying that I may not agree with what you said, but I'll die to defend your right to say it. That my friends is the essence of what this country is all about. People who try to quell the opinions of others, simply because they don't like them are among the lowest forms of human life...period.

I'm the daughter of an 82nd Airborne Jumpmaster, so I more than get it...

No F bomb here, but it was a pattern in other prior threads. Frankly, it doesn't surprise
me the mod took such action....it's not what was being said, it was how it was said.

costanza2k1
11-03-2008, 04:17 PM
While I do agree with free speech I don't agree with calling out fellow posters...but that's just my opinion.

Great news!

After three games he was averaging 4 ypc and had 3TDs.

With all the other injuries at other positions it's good to have depth at RB again. :Clap

Capt. Kool-aid speaks. Keep in mind his stats are against the Texans (21st against the run) and the Browns (24th against the Run). Then when it mattered against the Eagles (9th against the run) he was 13 for 20 yards.

FWP BLOWS!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! If you took the time to put the kool-aid down you would see this.

Discipline of Steel
11-03-2008, 04:18 PM

I am all for non-censorship, this is America. It is our burden to bear when someone expresses an opinion that is not in line with our own. On the other hand, we are all supposed to be Steeler fans here, right? There should be something about the Steelers that LVG likes, yet we NEVER hear him/her express that. Constant negativity is annoying. Act like a Steeler fan and throw in a few positive comments, LVG, and your negativity will be less critically recognized.

With that said, please pass the kool-aid, Im thirsty for some good news!

For the record...what I dont like about the Steelers:
The current situation on the OLine
Steely McBeam
Dump Truck returning kick-offs

Jigawatts
11-03-2008, 04:21 PM
Voice your opinion all you want and defend it. But calling everyone here a kool aid
drinker is a fuggin insult.

MeetJoeGreene
11-03-2008, 04:22 PM
It depends on why posts were deleted.
If posts were deleted for bypassing the bad word filter or that violated TOS, then that is legit. People agree to abide by certain "rules" when they join.

Constantly slamming Tomlin (while annoying), does NOT violate the TOS that I am aware of. As such, posts shouldn't be deleted on that basis. This site, has however, been established as primarily "pro-Steelers" (e.g. no trolls).

I actually don't mind trolls or negativity as much as most who came here. I just tend to mock them, or bust on them, or call them out. But usually I find that to be "fun".

As much as I can't stand the whining that Las Vegas Guy continually spews over Tomlin, he had a very good point about posts being deleted. That level of censorship is exactly why I started to come here in the first place.

If the sorry individual responsible for deleting or locking posts and threads continues this douchebaggery, I will be joining LVG in slamming this board anywhere I can.

Unless something is obviously profane or offensive...leave it alone! If you can't take the criticism, then I suggest you step away from the 'net comrade.

NC Steeler Fan
11-03-2008, 04:27 PM
This site, has however, been established as primarily "pro-Steekers" (e.g. no trolls).

GO STEEKERS!!!!!

Oviedo
11-03-2008, 04:27 PM
A message board is a free association of people who share a common interest and are typically of a common mind. Because it is a public message board doesn't mean that every nutcase has a God given right particpate or is even welcome particularly if you add absolutely nothing to the discussion that the larger group values.

Just like at the Trib which led to the formation of this great board there is a small group of posters who add absolutely nothing except the constant repeat time and time again of their trite one liners regardless of the topic. What does that add? Why should that be welcome?

There is nothing wrong with a board being self policing. That is not censorship. If you don't like that leave and go somewhere where your opinion is valued, but don't expect the total board to embrace your opinions, care what you think or even want you around.

MeetJoeGreene
11-03-2008, 04:34 PM
This site, has however, been established as primarily "pro-Steekers" (e.g. no trolls).

GO STEEKERS!!!!!

:oops: :oops: :oops: :oops:

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-03-2008, 04:38 PM
A message board is a free association of people who share a common interest and are typically of a common mind. Because it is a public message board doesn't mean that every nutcase has a God given right particpate or is even welcome particularly if you add absolutely nothing to the discussion that the larger group values.

Just like at the Trib which led to the formation of this great board there is a small group of posters who add absolutely nothing except the constant repeat time and time again of their trite one liners regardless of the topic. What does that add? Why should that be welcome?

There is nothing wrong with a board being self policing. That is not censorship. If you don't like that leave and go somewhere where your opinion is valued, but don't expect the total board to embrace your opinions, care what you think or even want you around.

Good points all, Oviedo, but IMO deleting/locking threads is different enough from self-policing that the same arguments don't apply.

Oviedo
11-03-2008, 04:42 PM

Good points all, Oviedo, but IMO deleting/locking threads is different enough from self-policing that the same arguments don't apply.

Thats why we need the ability to "hide" posters who we individually do not value. That in itself sends a strong enough message that your opinions/behavior are not valued by the group. Change or go away. It was the only thing the Trib had that was good.

SteelTorch
11-03-2008, 04:54 PM

Give us the ability to block people like LVG. As soon as we see his name we know what the post is going to be about so let us block him. That way he can post all he wants just nobody will be reading.
There already is something like that. It's called the "friend or foe" function. :wink:

Oviedo
11-03-2008, 04:56 PM

There already is something like that. It's called the "friend or foe" function. :wink:

I'd add one more capability. Everytime someone posts let them know how many people have them on "ignore." That would be a valuable tool. Just add it under the Posts # to the left of our posts.

LasVegasGuy
11-03-2008, 05:01 PM
[quote="NC Steeler Fan":3lpzy9ox]You guys obviously missed the F bomb that can be snuck in here

No F bomb here, but it was a pattern in other prior threads. Frankly, it doesn't surprise
me the mod took such action....it's not what was being said, it was how it was said.[/quote:3lpzy9ox]

Can you poste quotes where I used the "F" bomb. I don't think so. Freakin' is not the same as F&@ckin'

SteelTorch
11-03-2008, 05:01 PM

I'd add one more capability. Everytime someone posts let them know how many people have them on "ignore." That would be a valuable tool. Just add it under the Posts # to the left of our posts.
I could see how that would hurt some feelings. :lol:

My gripe with LVG is not that he whines or criticizes Tomlin, but that's ALL he does, and usually after a loss. If we win, he's nowhere to be found. If we lose, he's all over the fuggin' place. At least tomiesteel whines on a consistent basis.

Add the fact that he lays everything that goes wrong on Tomlin's shoulders and bashes him without actually backing it up. And those who don't agree with him are kool-aid drinkers. That kind of behavior I can't stand.

While I agree posts shouldn't be deleted without a good reason, good riddance if you ask me. :wink:

Flasteel
11-03-2008, 05:02 PM

I agree with all of that, but it's like SASF stated...the crap being spewed by LVG is worthy of warning him and kicking him to the curb if he continues to insult people on the board. He should be warned, then banned for garbage like that. Just don't start deleting non-offensive posts or locking threads that have nothing in them other than sound criticism of the moderation.

LasVegasGuy
11-03-2008, 05:15 PM

I agree with all of that, but it's like SASF stated...the crap being spewed by LVG is worthy of warning him and kicking him to the curb if he continues to insult people on the board. He should be warned, then banned for garbage like that. Just don't start deleting non-offensive posts or locking threads that have nothing in them other than sound criticism of the moderation.

You are going to warn me for my feelings on Tomlin are you kidding me? Can we warn people about the good things they say about Tomlin? If calling someone a kool-aid drinker is stepping over the line then what do you say to someone who calls me a racist for my views on Tomlin. This board can't have it's cake and eat it too. If you want to ban me not a problem you may actually do me a favor from ever visiting this board again. Banishment shows how weak this board has actually become and how one sided the topics will soon become.

NC Steeler Fan
11-03-2008, 05:33 PM
[quote="NC Steeler Fan":1xll9kle]You guys obviously missed the F bomb that can be snuck in here

me the mod took such action....it's not what was being said, it was how it was said.

Can you poste quotes where I used the "F" bomb. I don't think so. Freakin' is not the same as F&@ckin'[/quote:1xll9kle]

I'm sorry my dear, but I don't spend enough time on here
to worry about saving threads to bash someone later with them.

I come here to generally have a good time reading about the
Steelers and chiming in when I have the time. It's not about
winning a battle of egos for me.

However, although I have no desire to antagonize anyone, I am afraid
that you sir are either lying or have an extraordinarily poor memory.

You did indeed bypass the system to drop the F bomb. Sorry if someone
other than me maybe noticed it? Not my fault.

You reap what you sow perhaps?

Discipline of Steel
11-03-2008, 05:38 PM
You are going to warn me for my feelings on Tomlin are you kidding me? Can we warn people about the good things they say about Tomlin? If calling someone a kool-aid drinker is stepping over the line then what do you say to someone who calls me a racist for my views on Tomlin. This board can't have it's cake and eat it too. If you want to ban me not a problem you may actually do me a favor from ever visiting this board again. Banishment shows how weak this board has actually become and how one sided the topics will soon become.

If you cant say anything positive about the Steelers, then technically, you are a troll. I double dog dare you to list what you like about the Steelers similar to my list of what I dont like about the Steelers.

For the record...what I dont like about the Steelers:
The current situation on the OLine
Steely McBeam
Dump Truck returning kick-offs

Come on buddy...take a sip of the kool-aid!!!

SanAntonioSteelerFan
11-03-2008, 05:41 PM

I agree with all of that, but it's like SASF stated ...the crap being spewed by LVG is worthy of warning him and kicking him to the curb if he continues to insult people on the board. He should be warned, then banned for garbage like that. Just don't start deleting non-offensive posts or locking threads that have nothing in them other than sound criticism of the moderation.

I don't think I said that, did I? Didn't mean it anyway. What I think I said/meant was that, oh jeez, now I gotta go back and look ...

OK, what I said/meant was I'm all in favor of self-censoring as a community, and YES, please give me that "Ignore" button (last and only time I tried to use it on this board, on a moderator no less :wink: , I found it didn't work).

I can see where banning could take place for "trollism", but only after warnings, and really I think it should be more of a community decision than a single individual.

And for the record though I was beginning to get tired of reading LVG's stuff lately, I know that there are probably many people who feel the same about mine, so I'd be on thin ice to call for his banning - which I wouldn't want to anyway.

His calling out a poster, as shown by costanza2K1 above did bother me, but IMO even that is not worthy of a ban, maybe just a warning.

Just my two :2c

MeetJoeGreene
11-03-2008, 05:47 PM
Here are some items from the board's code of conduct. Any of these are potenial reasons for thread locking, post deleting, or banning. I will leave it to the reader's judgement as to the applicability of these in this case:

Any communication that is intended to harass, belittle, humiliate, threaten or cause embarrassment to a fellow member, coach or player.

o Material that contains vulgar, obscene or indecent language or images.

o Any communication that contains spam (multiple copies in one area or the same communication in multiple areas).

o Material that defames, abuses or threatens others.

o Statements that are bigoted, hateful or racially offensive.

o Material that impedes or otherwise prohibits communication; disrupts the discussion including, without limitation, using fan names in topical boards that are offensive to the topic, the team, the sport and/or its fans, and repeatedly posting off-topic messages in a topical message board.

Flasteel
11-03-2008, 06:48 PM

Dude, I'm defending your unquestioned right to express your feelings about Tomlin, whether I agree with it or not. What you don't have a right to do is sit there and insult others for expressing their opinions. Even if you are attcking just one individual without provocation, I would agree with you being warned and ultimately banned if you continued.

Yeah, being called a Kool-aid drinker is not something anyone should lose sleep over, but from what I've heard here (maybe I'm wrong), it's a term you throw around towards others with regularity. If that's the case, then grow up. If it's isolated and even semi-warranted, then no one should have a problem with it. As far as anyone calling you a racist...well, did they call you that or wonder out loud if it was your motive for hating Tomlin as much as you do? There's a big difference between the two in my book. It then falls on you to defend your viewpoint and state the rational reasons why you feel that way; if no one likes your reasoning, that's their problem.

I really the like the community in this forum and everyone that posts here seems to be a mature, die-hard fan of the Black-n-Gold. If you engage them with logic, reason, and respect, I have no doubt you'll get the same treatment in return.

stlrz d
11-03-2008, 08:30 PM
Intelligent, reasonable discourse is one thing. I have no issue with differing opinions and that's what is enjoyable about this forum...people express differing opinions and we discuss them like true fans.

Some folks only show up to bash and bring negativity...primarily on one topic and one topic alone.

The arguments to support that opinion are circumstantial and subjective at best.

Nobody needs that crap in a place where they are going to discuss a team they like. That's why this place came to be.

ikestops85
11-04-2008, 01:22 PM
Having been banned multiple times from the bungles board I am sensitive to the issue. I think banning should be used as a last resort where there are clear cut circumstances. Labeling a person or group 'kool-aid drinkers' should not be considered offensive or name calling. Call them a bengals fan and you should be banned immediately for defamation of character. :lol:

I don't agree with LVG's opinion on Tomlin and it gets annoying at times but so what. It's an opinion ... not a fact. Don't read his posts if you know they are gonna upset you. An IGNORE function would help matters and hopefully the powers that be can implement it at a future time. Look, we are all wanna-be players and coaches who get their jollies posting on a message board pretending we know better than the real players and coaches. I really like this board because it isn't filled with all the high school drama and flame wars that the other boards have. I hope it stays that way but that should be up to the posters and not the moderators. When the moderators take over you end up with a board like steelers.com which IMHO sucks.

In case I wasn't clear ... I like this board. Keep up the good work and GO STEELERS! :tt2