PDA

View Full Version : Mike Singletary's tirade - reminds me of Tomlin's approach

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-29-2008, 03:28 PM
Anybody see this on youtube yet? Maybe this is the end of the "diva" superstar era, back to the yes sir/no sir days.

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/29/sport ... ref=sports (http://www.nytimes.com/2008/10/29/sports/football/29niners.html?ref=sports)

Singletary’s Tirade Is Over but Not Forgotten
Paul Sakuma/Associated Press
San Francisco’s interim coach, Mike Singletary, said he refused to be “politically correct” and publicly criticized his players.

Sign In to E-Mail or Save This
Print
Reprints
Linkedin
Digg
Facebook
Mixx
Yahoo! Buzz

By BILLY WITZ
Published: October 28, 2008
SANTA CLARA, Calif. — The San Francisco 49ers went back to work Tuesday, a team still mired in the depths of the N.F.L.’s worst division but one that practiced with renewed enthusiasm and greater attention to detail. They left the field with such spirit it was hard to tell that they were 2-6 and that their next game was two weeks away.

Skip to next paragraph

Analysis and discussion of the N.F.L. on the New York Times pro football blog.

Go to The Fifth Down Blog »

N.F.L.
Scoreboard
Schedules: A.F.C. | N.F.C.
Standings: A.F.C. | N.F.C.
Teams | Statistics
Transactions
Injuries: A.F.C. | N.F.C.
Giants
Schedule/Results
Statistics | Roster
Depth Chart
Jets
Schedule/Results
Statistics | Roster
Depth Chart
The practice was so good that afterward, when Coach Mike Singletary met reporters, he did not castigate a single player.

“They understand the task at hand,” Singletary said. “They understand where we have to go. They understand where we want to go.”

If there is anything that can be said about the 49ers now, it is that they understand.

Any equivocation vanished after Singletary’s first game in place of the fired Mike Nolan, Sunday’s 34-13 home loss to Seattle. He benched the turnover-prone quarterback J. T. O’Sullivan, banished tight end Vernon Davis to the showers and apologized to 49ers fans for the way the team played.

It might have made for a nice local story until Singletary carried his postgame dressing down of the team into his news conference. His criticism of Davis, who Singletary said had put himself above the team, was withering.

“Cannot play with them, cannot win with them, cannot coach them,” Singletary said of players like Davis, adding that he would rather play with 10 men. “Can’t do it. I want winners. I want people that want to win.”

The clip of Singletary, his eyes as fiery behind spectacles as they once were behind a face mask, immediately became the video clip and the talking point of the day around the N.F.L. It was reminiscent of Jim Mora’s “Playoffs? Playoffs?” rant, Dennis Green’s “They were who we thought they were” tirade, and Herman Edwards’s “You play to win the game” admonition.

The difference was that none of those coaches excoriated his players the way Singletary did. Such public criticism of players is rare in the N.F.L. Coaches may criticize a player behind closed doors, but they are much more likely to rationalize a performance or behavior in front of the cameras.

Singletary said Tuesday that he saw no reason to do so.

“This is a day and time where everybody wants to be so private and ‘this is my business and be nice to the guy,’ ” Singletary said. “I love these guys. I really do. At the same time, I know Vernon wants to win. And at the same time, I know there’s nothing about the comment that I wouldn’t have said to him. So for me to say, ‘Well, that’s a private matter.’ It’s the way I felt. I wasn’t thinking about being politically correct.

“The team needs to know that it will not be tolerated. Everyone needs to understand that if this is the course you want to take, chances are this is the way we’re going to deal with it. It’s just carrying out the nature of a bet.”

Asked if his coaches with the Bears, the volatile Buddy Ryan and Mike Ditka, treated him that way, Singletary laughed.

“I’m a lot nicer than I was coached in Chicago,” he said.

Davis got in trouble with Singletary for brushing him off after Singletary chided him for an unsportsmanlike-conduct penalty. Davis, a former No. 6 overall pick, had been disciplined recently by Nolan for the same type of behavior. Davis was benched by Nolan when he yelled and demonstrated after catching a pass in the fourth quarter of a loss to New Orleans.

But when Nolan spoke to reporters, he explained Davis’s behavior as overexuberant.

“I’ve been some places where they will not call the superstar guy out, even though what he’s doing is blatantly wrong,” said linebacker Takeo Spikes, an 11-year veteran who has played in Cincinnati, Buffalo and Philadelphia. “It may not hurt the team then, but eventually it will kill a team. Hearing dudes talk, I know two teams that are going through that now.

“Once you put your foot down, guys want consistency. That’s what we expect. I know I’m not going to see any different.”

Singletary’s status is interim, but his career as a Hall of Fame linebacker and the three seasons he has spent as the linebackers coach for Nolan, his friend and mentor, had already earned him credibility in the locker room.

“He’s straight ahead,” running back Frank Gore said. “He’s going to keep it real with you. He’s going to tell you if you’re doing right or wrong. If you’re going to get on the boat, it’s got to be his way. He’s not going to baby you.”

Singletary said Monday that Davis was a hard worker and not one of the “cancers” he referred to in his postgame speech to the team, but that he needed to be more mature. After they talked Monday, Davis was penitent.

Singletary also announced that Shaun Hill would start in place of O’Sullivan, whose 17 turnovers are more than every other team in the league, when the 49ers play at Arizona on Nov. 10.

“Accountability is definitely a huge word,” Singletary said.

It is also something that has been lacking since Eddie DeBartolo was forced to give up control of the 49ers in 2000 after his felony conviction in a bribery case. The team passed into the control of his sister and her husband, Denise and John York.

The Yorks clumsily forced out Steve Mariucci after 12- and 10-win seasons in 2001 and 2002, and the franchise floundered under Dennis Erickson and Nolan. The 49ers are well on the way to their sixth consecutive losing season.

The Yorks, whose son Jed has taken an increased role in recent years, may not get a winning team over the last two months of the season. But in Singletary, they appear to have somebody at the front of the organization who knows who he is and knows what he wants.

They will also learn what he has to say, whether their ears are burning or not.

papillon
10-29-2008, 03:57 PM
It will only mean anything if the 49er front office stands behind him; otherwise, it's just words.

Pappy

Ozey74
10-29-2008, 04:46 PM
It will only mean anything if the 49er front office stands behind him; otherwise, it's just words.

Pappy

I bet they stand behind him. Men tend to stand behind other men in San Fransisco.

:lol:

AkronSteel
10-29-2008, 04:54 PM

Pappy

I bet they stand behind him. Men tend to stand behind other men in San Fransisco.

Now that was funny!!! Thanks for the laughs OZ! :Clap

buckeyehoppy
10-29-2008, 05:27 PM
We got a link to the YouTube vid or what?

Anyway, Singletary was a monster player on the NFL's greatest ever one-year wonder: the '85 Bears. But he always played the game the right way and, one would expect, that he will coach the game the right way as well. Based on what I read in the article, he's well on his way.

LasVegasGuy
10-30-2008, 01:05 AM
Is this post a joke? When have you seen Tomlin do anything like what Singeltary has done? We are usually hit with if's and or, buts when he talks. Maybe he should take a page from Singletary and sack Bruce Arians. Scratch that he doesn't have enough balls to do it.

proudpittsburgher
10-30-2008, 08:23 AM
Is this post a joke? When have you seen Tomlin do anything like what Singeltary has done? We are usually hit with if's and or, buts when he talks. Maybe he should take a page from Singletary and sack Bruce Arians. Scratch that he doesn't have enough balls to do it.

Talk is just that, talk. Yet, you, LVG, chastized MT for sitting Sanonio Holmes in the biggest game of the year, up to this point, to make a point about his actions. He placed someone who is seemingly a good team guy on the PUP list all training camp and preseason in Casey Hampton, again, to make a point. So which is it, LVG? He doesn't have the balls, or does he?

RuthlessBurgher
10-30-2008, 10:17 AM

Pappy

Well, that might explain why his eyes looked like this :shock: all the time.

http://www.cnnsi.com/2007/football/nfl/specials/playoffs/2006/01/25/super.bowl.tale/t1_singletary1.jpg

Discipline of Steel
10-30-2008, 12:45 PM

This board is devoted to free speech amongst Steeler fans so you are entitled to express your opinion. When MT starts the year at 2-5, like the 49ers, instead of 5-2, your arguments will carry more weight. The only thing that ultimately matters in the world of the NFL is wins-losses. Since MT is 15-9 since his head coaching debut, I support whatever he says, does, and believes. Yes, I am chugging the kool-aid. If he was in Marv Lewis position right now, I might be inclined to think otherwise.

proudpittsburgher
10-30-2008, 01:01 PM

This board is devoted to free speech amongst Steeler fans so you are entitled to express your opinion. When MT starts the year at 2-5, like the 49ers, instead of 5-2, your arguments will carry more weight. The only thing that ultimately matters in the world of the NFL is wins-losses. Since MT is 15-9 since his head coaching debut, I support whatever he says, does, and believes. Yes, I am chugging the kool-aid. If he was in Marv Lewis position right now, I might be inclined to think otherwise.

:Agree :Agree :Agree

Tomlin allowed this horrible offensive play calling. Tomlin allowed the suspension of Santonio Holmes before he was found guilty. Tomlin allowed 30 yards of penalties on 3 consecutive plays. See, LVG wants Tomlin to be more authoritarian, but when he punishes Holmes, it was the wrong thing to do. :roll:

LasVegasGuy
10-30-2008, 01:46 PM

Tomlin allowed this horrible offensive play calling. Tomlin allowed the suspension of Santonio Holmes before he was found guilty. Tomlin allowed 30 yards of penalties on 3 consecutive plays. See, LVG wants Tomlin to be more authoritarian, but when he punishes Holmes, it was the wrong thing to do. :roll:

I'm sure you heard the saying "Innocent until found guilty?" Everyone knows Tomlin can't beat a good team so by benching Santonio, Tomlin's chances were even lesser. Why bench a player before the courts find him guilty? Couldn't it have waited until we played the Bengals or the Ravens since Tomlin has showed he can coach the Steelers to a win against these scrubs?

Another reason our coach doesn't have a clue bench a player before the Giants game before he is even found guilty. Good move boy wonder......

Big Snack was embarassing himself and the orginization. The difference between Tomlin and Parcells or Belichick is Casey wouldn't have seen the field ever again as a Pittsburgh Steeler. Instead we rewarded the fat bastard for showing up out of shape by keeping him on the roster. Good move again boy wonder.......

LasVegasGuy
10-30-2008, 01:50 PM

He may not start the season 2-5 but it's shaping up to end that way. He tanked last year in December so it's not out of the realm of possibility. Plus, we play some good teams and we all know he struggles big time against good teams.

Discipline of Steel
10-30-2008, 03:21 PM

He may not start the season 2-5 but it's shaping up to end that way. He tanked last year in December so it's not out of the realm of possibility. Plus, we play some good teams and we all know he struggles big time against good teams.

So you are predicting the Steelers to finish around 8-8 and I say more like 11-5 or 10-6, with a playoff berth. Not so far off. We each have our own opinion. As of now, MT is 5-2 for this year which is not too bad overall. Lets see how it plays out and if we go 0-9 the rest of the way, I may be joining you in calling for his head.

SteelerOfDeVille
10-30-2008, 04:00 PM

Pappy

HILARIOUS!!!

RuthlessBurgher
10-30-2008, 04:14 PM

I'm sure you heard the saying "Innocent until found guilty?" Everyone knows Tomlin can't beat a good team so by benching Santonio, Tomlin's chances were even lesser. Why bench a player before the courts find him guilty? Couldn't it have waited until we played the Bengals or the Ravens since Tomlin has showed he can coach the Steelers to a win against these scrubs?

Another reason our coach doesn't have a clue bench a player before the Giants game before he is even found guilty. Good move boy wonder......

Big Snack was embarassing himself and the orginization. The difference between Tomlin and Parcells or Belichick is Casey wouldn't have seen the field ever again as a Pittsburgh Steeler. Instead we rewarded the fat bastard for showing up out of shape by keeping him on the roster. Good move again boy wonder.......

When Holmes admitted that he did it, he's guilty. End of story. Tomlin did what he had to do to eliminate yet another distraction in a week with too many distractions already (NFL officials meeting with our players to discuss fines, opposing players announcing on radio shows that they have taken bounties out of Steeler players, etc.)

I'm sure he explained to Santonio that from now on, he should only get caught with drugs on a week we are playing a team with a losing record. :roll:

ramblinjim
10-30-2008, 05:23 PM

Pappy

Good point Pappy, I think the 9ers will stand behind Singletary and I think the players will respond to him. If they don't, he looks like he could still whoop some @55...

:!:

AngryAsian
10-30-2008, 07:30 PM

Pappy

ROTFLMAO!!!

We sure have some witty bastages on this board.

RuthlessBurgher
10-30-2008, 09:10 PM

Pappy

That ain't the half of it! Read this. Ozey may have really been on to something here.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3673441

Singletary dropped pants at halftime to make point to 49ers
ESPN.com news services

Updated: October 30, 2008, 8:10 PM ET

San Francisco 49ers interim coach Mike Singletary wanted to get a point across during his first halftime speech Sunday.

I used my pants to illustrate that we were getting our tails whipped on Sunday and how humiliating that should feel for all of us. I needed to do something to dramatize my point; there were other ways I could have done it but I think this got the message across.
-- Mike Singletary

His team was down 20-3 and he wanted to illustrate how badly they were playing.

So, a 49ers spokesman confirmed, Singletary dropped his pants. The coach was was wearing boxers.

The motivational tool was first reported by Arizona radio station XTRA's Mike Jurecki and The (Santa Rosa, Calif.) Press-Democrat.

"He was just dramatizing how embarrassing it was," 49ers director of public relations Aaron Salkin told The Press Democrat.

According to Salkin, Singletary told the team at halftime: "We're getting our tails whipped out there, now let's get back out there."

Singletary, whose team has is on a bye week, issued a statement: "I used my pants to illustrate that we were getting our tails whipped on Sunday and how humiliating that should feel for all of us. I needed to do something to dramatize my point; there were other ways I could have done it but I think this got the message across. I am excited about having the team back at practice on Monday so we can get back to work."

Senior NFL writer John Clayton contributed to this story.

AkronSteel
10-30-2008, 09:31 PM

Pappy

That ain't the half of it! Read this. Ozey may have really been on to something here.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3673441

Singletary dropped pants at halftime to make point to 49ers
ESPN.com news services

Updated: October 30, 2008, 8:10 PM ET

San Francisco 49ers interim coach Mike Singletary wanted to get a point across during his first halftime speech Sunday.

I used my pants to illustrate that we were getting our tails whipped on Sunday and how humiliating that should feel for all of us. I needed to do something to dramatize my point; there were other ways I could have done it but I think this got the message across.
-- Mike Singletary

His team was down 20-3 and he wanted to illustrate how badly they were playing.

So, a 49ers spokesman confirmed, Singletary dropped his pants. The coach was was wearing boxers.

The motivational tool was first reported by Arizona radio station XTRA's Mike Jurecki and The (Santa Rosa, Calif.) Press-Democrat.

"He was just dramatizing how embarrassing it was," 49ers director of public relations Aaron Salkin told The Press Democrat.

According to Salkin, Singletary told the team at halftime: "We're getting our tails whipped out there, now let's get back out there."

Singletary, whose team has is on a bye week, issued a statement: "I used my pants to illustrate that we were getting our tails whipped on Sunday and how humiliating that should feel for all of us. I needed to do something to dramatize my point; there were other ways I could have done it but I think this got the message across. I am excited about having the team back at practice on Monday so we can get back to work."

Senior NFL writer John Clayton contributed to this story.

Wow........I really wish that Mike Tomlin would act more like this guy. I wish we had a coach like him! :roll:

proudpittsburgher
10-31-2008, 07:50 AM

When Holmes admitted that he did it, he's guilty. End of story. Tomlin did what he had to do to eliminate yet another distraction in a week with too many distractions already (NFL officials meeting with our players to discuss fines, opposing players announcing on radio shows that they have taken bounties out of Steeler players, etc.)

I'm sure he explained to Santonio that from now on, he should only get caught with drugs on a week we are playing a team with a losing record. :roll:

LVG, you can spin it anyway you want, but you called Tomlin out for not havign the balls to do something like MS did. You were wrong, own up. No, instead of that, you try and spin it. Let me ask you this, how do you know that Vernon Davis wasn't innocent and just reacting to soemthing the DB said to him? And what makes benching a guy and publicly humiliating him by sending him to the locker room early for nudging a guy in the facemask any better than deactivating a guy for, what we now know, as a drug infraction? I'm sure MT didn't hear the rumor, then immediately deactivate him. You're smarter than that. :nono No, you just can't see past your MT bias. There are plenty of things to criticise him for (hell, I can find them, and I'm a supporter), but this isn;t one of them. It was a stand-up thing to do. You just can't see that.