PDA

View Full Version : Davenport as KR? Please no more...

Discipline of Steel
10-27-2008, 01:45 PM
All he is going to do is get it back to the 25 yard line. What are some of our other options at this point? Moore is satisfactory as PR, I guess. Game breakers anyone?

MeetJoeGreene
10-27-2008, 03:13 PM
All he is going to do is get it back to the 25 yard line. What are some of our other options at this point? Moore is satisfactory as PR, I guess. Game breakers anyone?

Sign Willie Reid from the Eagles PS? Cut Baker. Cause he really hasn't done anything yet either. Willie can return and do nothing in the passing game as opposed to Baker who can't return and does nothing in the passing game.

Ghost
10-27-2008, 03:17 PM

Sign Willie Reid from the Eagles PS? Cut Baker. Cause he really hasn't done anything yet either. Willie can return and do nothing in the passing game as opposed to Baker who can't return and does nothing in the passing game.

But Baker doing nothing in both the passing AND kicking game makes him a double threat... :?

Oviedo
10-27-2008, 04:05 PM

I agree. Reid is better value than Baker particurly given how embarassing Davenport is returning kicks. Now that Sweed has gotten into the line up and shown he can produce I would sign Reid and cut Baker. Reid should have been kept over Baker from Day 1 because he can contribute on STs unless Baker.

Steel Life
10-27-2008, 10:31 PM

Good call Joe...but there's got to be some others who can do it who might offer some help elswhere too. Guys like Terrance Copper, JR Reed, Jackie Battle, BJ Sams, Ryan Moats or Chad Jackson? Surely there's someone better...or at least will not run right at tacklers. :roll:

Mel Blount's G
10-27-2008, 10:57 PM
If he gets to the 20 and hangs on to the ball - that is a success given the history of steeler kick returns - imo. Just don't cough it up

Jooser
10-27-2008, 11:28 PM
LMAO Ghost, I like that one. I agree with MJG, sign Reid, what's it gonna hurt at this point? The Dumptruck couldn't outrun sap down a pine tree in December!

buckeyehoppy
10-27-2008, 11:40 PM

But Baker doing nothing in both the passing AND kicking game makes him a double threat... :?

Dude, don't bogart that spliff. I want some a that.

Seriously, the Chumptruck belongs on KR like I belong in front of the Supreme Court arguing cases.

I don't know if there is an easy solution. Willie Reid plays like a deer staring into headlights. There's a reason he got passed over for Baker...and Baker is useless.

Other than the fact that he knows the system, I don't know what possessed the FO to bring back the Chumptruck. Maybe they were partying with Sanantonio.

Discipline of Steel
10-27-2008, 11:46 PM
Surely there's someone better...or at least will not run right at tacklers. :roll:

Thats what I was noticing. It kind of stood out because I am used to seeing the KR running AWAY from the tacklers. We are not going for 3rd and 1 FCOL! Id like to see the occasion start from midfield that most of the other teams enjoy.

proudpittsburgher
10-28-2008, 10:05 AM
I like the fact I don;t have to worry about him fumbling, but in watching last night's Colts game, I wondered, "How in the hell could we not fidn a little no one like a Pierre Garcon in the draft?" He's not the best kick returner, btu we have to have had some shifty little running back or wideout that was available to us.

Oviedo
10-28-2008, 10:20 AM
I like the fact I don;t have to worry about him fumbling, but in watching last night's Colts game, I wondered, "How in the hell could we not fidn a little no one like a Pierre Garcon in the draft?" He's not the best kick returner, btu we have to have had some shifty little running back or wideout that was available to us.

A legitimate KR needs to be a priority in this off season versus the last man standing approach. Wouldn't it be nice to see Derrick Williams from PSU back there?

rpmpit
10-28-2008, 10:20 AM
[quote="Discipline of Steel":3ksg25je]All he is going to do is get it back to the 25 yard line. What are some of our other options at this point? Moore is satisfactory as PR, I guess. Game breakers anyone?

Good call Joe...but there's got to be some others who can do it who might offer some help elswhere too. Guys like Terrance Copper, JR Reed, Jackie Battle, BJ Sams, Ryan Moats or Chad Jackson? Surely there's someone better...or at least will not run right at tacklers. :roll:[/quote:3ksg25je]

Its more like "...at least will not WALK right at tacklers."

RussBII
10-28-2008, 10:22 AM
[quote="Discipline of Steel":2lyd6ysg]All he is going to do is get it back to the 25 yard line. What are some of our other options at this point? Moore is satisfactory as PR, I guess. Game breakers anyone?

Good call Joe...but there's got to be some others who can do it who might offer some help elswhere too. Guys like Terrance Copper, JR Reed, Jackie Battle, BJ Sams, Ryan Moats or Chad Jackson? Surely there's someone better...or at least will not run right at tacklers. :roll:

Its more like "...at least will not WALK right at tacklers."[/quote:2lyd6ysg]

I agree, Najeh running right into the pile, like its a 3rd and 1 has got to stop. However, no one's looked good returning kicks for us for a loooong time. Are they all chumps? Or does the blocking suck? Or, more likely... both?

Oviedo
10-28-2008, 10:27 AM
[quote="Discipline of Steel":7l0rl2ij]All he is going to do is get it back to the 25 yard line. What are some of our other options at this point? Moore is satisfactory as PR, I guess. Game breakers anyone?

Its more like "...at least will not WALK right at tacklers."

I agree, Najeh running right into the pile, like its a 3rd and 1 has got to stop. However, no one's looked good returning kicks for us for a loooong time. Are they all chumps? Or does the blocking suck? Or, more likely... both?[/quote:7l0rl2ij]

Bring back Willie Reid. He knows what the sidelines are and would go to them and at least tries to avoid the greatest concentration of the opponents coverage team unlike Najeh who aims right for them.

proudpittsburgher
10-28-2008, 10:31 AM
Oddly enough, I keep thinking even if ND breaks through the initial line of tacklers, he isn;t going any farther than the 50 before being caught from behind anyway.

RussBII
10-28-2008, 10:33 AM
Oddly enough, I keep thinking even if ND breaks through the initial line of tacklers, he isn;t going any farther than the 50 before being caught from behind anyway.

Didn't he used to be faster? I have no idea why he's returning kicks... What about our DBs?

Oviedo
10-28-2008, 10:37 AM

Didn't he used to be faster? I have no idea why he's returning kicks... What about our DBs?

No way do we put Troy or Ike back there. Both are too valuable.

William Gay couldn't do worse. What about Baker, Sweed or Nate?

Getting rid of Willie Reid was a mistake. Baker has done nothing to justify taking a roster spot and not being able to help on Special Teams.

RussBII
10-28-2008, 10:40 AM

Getting rid of Willie Reid was a mistake. Baker has done nothing to justify taking a roster spot and not being able to help on Special Teams.

Well obviously not one of our starters, and not DeShea, he's probably slower than Najeh. What about Bonehead Anthony Smith? We're talking Kickoffs, not punts... you don't need to be that bright to return a kickoff. Heck, we can even put a smart guy back there with him to tell him when to run the ball out or take a knee.

proudpittsburgher
10-28-2008, 10:43 AM

Well obviously not one of our starters, and not DeShea, he's probably slower than Najeh. What about Bonehead Anthony Smith? We're talking Kickoffs, not punts... you don't need to be that bright to return a kickoff. Heck, we can even put a smart guy back there with him to tell him when to run the ball out or take a knee.

I am not in favor of ever putting a guy back there who is not used to handling the while getting hit football on a regular basis. If that's the cace, I'll take Najeh.

Ghost
10-28-2008, 02:00 PM
He may not be the greatest but for now I'm ok with ND being back there. The Steelers had at least 5 guys in camp looking to stick to the team as a returner and none of them did.

When it came time to bring a replacement on due to the injuries; they decided that Davenport was the best option above anyone else. It's not as if they flipped a coin or lost a bet and he got the job. "Holy !@#$, we have to put Davenport in..." I have to believe they looked at the entire roster and decided him catching the ball, averaging just over 18 yards a KR and not fumbling was the best option they had available.

He's not going to break one but if he gurantees them keeping the ball moreso than any other option then he's great. Bring in a late round of FA returner next season.