PDA

View Full Version : You play to win the game!

frankthetank1
10-27-2008, 01:26 PM
the giants are who we thought they were and we let them off the hook! playoffs? playoffs, you wanna talk about playoffs??

sorry just trying to cheer myself up. that was a tough loss

Iron Shiek
10-27-2008, 05:06 PM
the giants are who we thought they were and we let them off the hook! playoffs? playoffs, you wanna talk about playoffs??

sorry just trying to cheer myself up. that was a tough loss

We couldn't do diddly poo in that fourth quarter.

AkronSteel
10-27-2008, 11:12 PM
That one hurt yesterday. I had to take 24 hours away from the board so I didn't spout off stupidness. I truly thought we had them, just to have it ripped out from underneath us. That was a tough loss but something to learn from......

Here's what we can learn:

1) Our offense is just not very good. Ben probably had the worst game of his career yesterday. To me it looks like the shots he's taking are starting it wear on him. I think we need Santonio alot more than some of us want to admit. The guy stretches the field and opens things up underneath for Hines and Heath. Saying that I agree with what coach Tomlin did. The OL....man I don't even wanna talk about it, frankly, I'm tired of talking about it.

2) Our defense is really, really good. They are stout against the run and better than average against the pass. I was very impressed yesterday. From where I was sitting it looked like Diehl was holding Deebo alot yesterday and was getting away with it.....but who know's I'm a kool aid drinker. That is why the call on Colon was so tough to take.

3) Najeh Davenport brings nothing to this team on kickoff returns. I say we try something different. I'm tired of watching this guy run around and do absolutely nothing productive. FWP needs to get back healthy so we can cut this piece of Dookie.

4) We need to look at getting a new punter in here. This is two weeks in a row that Berger has been bothered by the hammy. I think it's time to be proactive.

5) This team needs to be better prepared for unusual situations....i.e. having to use our backup snapper. It seems that when things go haywire we are never able to adjust on the fly, in any situation.

Okay I'm done!!! I'm still pi$$ed!!! :wft ......... :wft

proudpittsburgher
10-28-2008, 10:41 AM
That one hurt yesterday. I had to take 24 hours away from the board so I didn't spout off stupidness. I truly thought we had them, just to have it ripped out from underneath us. That was a tough loss but something to learn from......

1) Our offense is just not very good. Ben probably had the worst game of his career yesterday. To me it looks like the shots he's taking are starting it wear on him. I think we need Santonio alot more than some of us want to admit. The guy stretches the field and opens things up underneath for Hines and Heath. Saying that I agree with what coach Tomlin did. The OL....man I don't even wanna talk about it, frankly, I'm tired of talking about it.
I agree with your assessment on Tomlin whole-heartedly. He did what he did for the betterment of the team, not just the game. And for the O-line, I actually thought they didn't do a horrible job against the Giants. As much as I usually fight for Ben when posters say this, he really did hold on to it too long on Sunday. That being said, it usually pays dividends for us a couple of times a game, it just didn't on Sunday.

2) Our defense is really, really good. They are stout against the run and better than average against the pass. I was very impressed yesterday. From where I was sitting it looked like Diehl was holding Deebo alot yesterday and was getting away with it.....but who know's I'm a kool aid drinker. That is why the call on Colon was so tough to take.
The defense has played amazing in both losses. And I'm not overstating the use of the term amazing.

3) Najeh Davenport brings nothing to this team on kickoff returns. I say we try something different. I'm tired of watching this guy run around and do absolutely nothing productive. FWP needs to get back healthy so we can cut this piece of Dookie.
ND did a nice job of filling in last season, but he just isn't needed. He's a power back, and how many power backs do you see returning kickoffs.

4) We need to look at getting a new punter in here. This is two weeks in a row that Berger has been bothered by the hammy. I think it's time to be proactive.
Strangely enough, Berger's punts looked really good after the injury.

5) This team needs to be better prepared for unusual situations....i.e. having to use our backup snapper. It seems that when things go haywire we are never able to adjust on the fly, in any situation.
I agree that as a coach, that's MT's responsibility, but how do you prepare for your long-snapper going down?

Oviedo
10-28-2008, 10:51 AM

I agree with your assessment on Tomlin whole-heartedly. He did what he did for the betterment of the team, not just the game. And for the O-line, I actually thought they didn't do a horrible job against the Giants. As much as I usually fight for Ben when posters say this, he really did hold on to it too long on Sunday. That being said, it usually pays dividends for us a couple of times a game, it just didn't on Sunday.

The defense has played amazing in both losses. And I'm not overstating the use of the term amazing.

ND did a nice job of filling in last season, but he just isn't needed. He's a power back, and how many power backs do you see returning kickoffs.

Strangely enough, Berger's punts looked really good after the injury.

I agree that as a coach, that's MT's responsibility, but how do you prepare for your long-snapper going down?

To your points above:

The problem with the offense is that we have two excellent TEs that we don't use. Every defense in the NFL knows that Ben's first look is to go to Hines and they double him and Ben still tries to force the ball. Ben plays his worst game in years and we still only lose to the best team in the NFC by a late TD. My confidence for the future remains high. It's not like we were only going to lose one game.

The defense is freaking amazing. If refs would actually call holding that occurs against Harrison and Woodley we would be undefeated. I am getting a little concerned because more and more I see Troy up at the LOS like in the past. LeBeau needs to please stop that.

ND is a waste as a returner. he just aims for the center of mass of the coverage team and runs right at them. Did he ever hear of running to the sidelines? Getting rid of Willie Reid was a mistake. baker has contributed nothing to take the roster spot Reid would have had. Reid would have at least made a legitimate effort to return kicks.

Berger's punts seem to be great, but if he had to stop a returner it would be all over. The guy can barely limp onto the field to punt the ball. I'd be looking for another option right now.

Iron Shiek
10-28-2008, 12:04 PM
Berger's punts seem to be great, but if he had to stop a returner it would be all over. The guy can barely limp onto the field to punt the ball. I'd be looking for another option right now.

If a punt returner got to the punter the play is an abject failure anyway. I don't "expect" a punter to stop anyone, if he did its a bonus (unless it was Sepulveda).

AkronSteel
10-28-2008, 12:44 PM
While I agree that Berger is actually punting well with the hammy it is only a matter of time before it is too much to take and we are fininshing a game without a punter. I don't want the team to be in a situation like Sunday without the long snapper. I think it is better to be proactive with this situation instead of waiting for the inevitable to happen.

proudpittsburgher
10-28-2008, 02:28 PM
While I agree that Berger is actually punting well with the hammy it is only a matter of time before it is too much to take and we are fininshing a game without a punter. I don't want the team to be in a situation like Sunday without the long snapper. I think it is better to be proactive with this situation instead of waiting for the inevitable to happen.

No, I agree that we need to get another punter in ASAP, I was just pointing out that Berger seems to punt better AFTER it was apparent that he was injurred.

AkronSteel
10-28-2008, 02:31 PM

No, I agree that we need to get another punter in ASAP, I was just pointing out that Berger seems to punt better AFTER it was apparent that he was injurred.

I agree......how scary is it that he was actually punting better with a bad hammy!!!

AngryAsian
10-28-2008, 04:33 PM

I agree......how scary is it that he was actually punting better with a bad hammy!!!

I'm just surprise that he's still plays... isn't he like 58 years old... oops, sorry... Jeff Feagles is the jurassic punter I was thinking of.