PDA

View Full Version : Hate to say it, but this is what your going to get

BigRob
10-27-2008, 10:55 AM
This is it. This is what your going to get. Our defense is going to keep us in every game, and our offense is going to struggle. Our offensive line is just not going to get it done and there is no magic pill to fix it.

Ben is a Quarterback thats going to hold the ball and refuses to use his tight ends effectively. He's a great quaterback, but you need a great offensive line for a QB like him.

This team could easily be 3-4 instead of 5-2. I could really see them going 1-2 over the next three games. We are far from dominating this division.

That being said, I'll be there til the end screaming: Go Steelers!

MeetJoeGreene
10-27-2008, 12:14 PM
I believe that you have articulated my thoughts pretty well.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-27-2008, 10:40 PM
This is the best we are going to get? This week most of the power rankings that come out are going to declare NYG either to be the best or second best team in the NFL. We played them late into the fourth Q with the lead. We gave up a safety thanks to an injury to our long snapper and followed that up with a short kick thanks to an injury to our punter.

While we had the lead in the fourth, we had a long drive brought back by 3 tough penalties, two of which were due to brain cramps by our players. Take away those and we are driving deep into Giants territory.

Also with the lead late in the fourth, we came within a beautiful, tough grab on fourth down by Toomer from taking the ball back with decent field position with the chance to put away the game.

We lost a tough, competitive game to a very good team which we could have won just as easily. A win would have put us at 6-1, and probably considered to be the best team in the league.

Come on now. It really sucks to lose, but to be saying that we should be a 3-4 team is kind of ridiculous, isn't it?

AkronSteel
10-27-2008, 11:28 PM
This is it. This is what your going to get. Our defense is going to keep us in every game, and our offense is going to struggle. Our offensive line is just not going to get it done and there is no magic pill to fix it.

Ben is a Quarterback thats going to hold the ball and refuses to use his tight ends effectively. He's a great quaterback, but you need a great offensive line for a QB like him.

This team could easily be 3-4 instead of 5-2. I could really see them going 1-2 over the next three games. We are far from dominating this division.

I don't think that is the case. I have watched SD and Indy flounder on the road all year. Neither one of those teams are going to win at Heinz. Book it!

buckeyehoppy
10-28-2008, 12:18 AM

I'll agree with the bulk of what you are saying. But I am beginning to believe that Ben really doesn't have a TE option on most plays. I believe that the TE is checking down on the rush to back up the poor play from the OTs.

I have been begging and pleading with the Steelers for the better part of the last three years that the team needs to get OT help. They have drafted Tony Hills in that time. Colbert and the rest of his Brain Fart Trust have also supplied Trai Essex and Max "Holy $hit He" Sucks.

No QB ever reaches the promised land without top notch OL play. Something just clicked when the Steelers won SBXL. But that line wasn't going to fool anyone for too much longer than that and the pigeons have been roosting ever since. But, to be perfectly honest, I don't have much confidence that Colbert is going to do the right thing to supply his team with an appropriate starting caliber T at any point in the near future, and the F---stick is welcome to prove me wrong in the coming off-season.

I don't think that is the case. I have watched SD and Indy flounder on the road all year. Neither one of those teams are going to win at Heinz. Book it!

I'll buy wins against both, too. The Dolts and Thunderdolts are much lesser teams this year than last and the Steelers have both at home. They don't exactly strike me as being as good, especially on D, as the Giants.

To put a positive spin on Sunday's loss...the Steelers are still unbeaten in the AFC and that will count for something if they continue to win in conference.

proudpittsburgher
10-28-2008, 10:03 AM
To put a positive spin on Sunday's loss...the Steelers are still unbeaten in the AFC and that will count for something if they continue to win in conference.

True enough, but the NFC East has proven to be a giant kick in the nutz to us this season though. Let's get one back against a very up and down redskins team, who I think it is safe to assume they were look ahead to their game against the Steelers last week.

Ghost
10-28-2008, 10:22 AM
It really sucks to lose, but to be saying that we should be a 3-4 team is kind of ridiculous, isn't it?

He didn't say they 'should be' he said they 'could be' - and that's an accurate statement. They barely beat the Browns by 4 points and then the Ravens, with a 1AA QB starting in his 4th game ever, on the road, took the team to overtime. Let's not pretend as if the Steelers have been a powerhouse on offensive against teams with even a decent defense. They have not.

While it might have been a competitive game played by the defense, nothing the offense did was all that competitve. Less than 100 yards rushing after gettting 32 on one run on the first drive. Under 200 yards passing. 1-10 on 3rd down conversions. 3 turnovers (not counting the last hail mary). 5 sacks. It was abysmal.

The offense plays as it did against the Giants and it's very likely they go 1-2 before facing the helpless bengals. Some improvement, Holmes and Parker back, and they could just as easily go 3-0 as well. But having concern about the offense seems to be the reasonable approach based on the games played, not some ridiculous rant.

BigRob
10-28-2008, 11:10 AM
Trust me, I support the Steelers and still think they go 11-5 or 10-6. The point I am making is that Ben will never be Peyton Manning and be able to get by with a mediocre talent on the O-line.

The main point I am making is this is what you are going to get out of the Steelers on Offense for the rest of the year. Ben needs an awesome offensive line, and he is not going to get that this year. This team has no offensive identity.

Its like protecting your Bentley with an insurance policy made for a yugo. The offensive line and coordinator don't compliment our QB. Look what Romo can do with the offensive line he has in Dallas.

LasVegasGuy
10-28-2008, 11:16 AM

If Tomlin is still the coach I wouldn't book anything until he can prove to game plan against a good team and WIN.................... What used to be guaranteed wins in Pittsburgh left with the Cowher and Noll years. We are now entering the average Joe Tomlin years.

frankthetank1
10-28-2008, 11:24 AM

If Tomlin is still the coach I wouldn't book anything until he can prove to game plan against a good team and WIN.................... What used to be guaranteed wins in Pittsburgh left with the Cowher and Noll years. We are now entering the average Joe Tomlin years.

haha cowher!! really there were guarnteed wins under cowher? come on now, thats absurd. i dont know how many games the steelers lost to a lesser team when cowher was the coach. do you remember 2006?

Iron Shiek
10-28-2008, 11:51 AM
It really sucks to lose, but to be saying that we should be a 3-4 team is kind of ridiculous, isn't it?

He didn't say they 'should be' he said they 'could be' - and that's an accurate statement. They barely beat the Browns by 4 points and then the Ravens, with a 1AA QB starting in his 4th game ever, on the road, took the team to overtime. Let's not pretend as if the Steelers have been a powerhouse on offensive against teams with even a decent defense. They have not.

While it might have been a competitive game played by the defense, nothing the offense did was all that competitve. Less than 100 yards rushing after gettting 32 on one run on the first drive. Under 200 yards passing. 1-10 on 3rd down conversions. 3 turnovers (not counting the last hail mary). 5 sacks. It was abysmal.

The offense plays as it did against the Giants and it's very likely they go 1-2 before facing the helpless bengals. Some improvement, Holmes and Parker back, and they could just as easily go 3-0 as well. But having concern about the offense seems to be the reasonable approach based on the games played, not some ridiculous rant.

I get what you are saying and no the steelers haven't owned the teams they beat. But I'm telling you these kinds of games (close hard fought) help teams later in the year. It happened with the Buckeyes in their N.Champ. year a few years back. Every week was a heart attack and they fought through it every week. The Cheaters last year didn't know what to do when a team punched them in the mouth.

With that said, the offense HAS to get off its a$$ and start moving the ball with some consistency.