PDA

View Full Version : Blame Ben

Oviedo
10-27-2008, 09:20 AM
It is crazy how some of the threads want to pin this loss on Arians or Tomlin. Ben blew it plain and simple. He is the one who threw 4 INTs! He is the one who held the ball too long!

Don't go to this "playcalling BS." Ben has the option to hot read and audible out of any play at anytime. His problem continues to be looking for plays downfield versus taking what the defense is giving him. He is paid $100M to be an elite QB. He has to make the difference and he failed yesterday

Everyone like to love and worship the players and view coaches as necessary, replaceable carbon units but players have to execute and our most importnat one didn't yesterday.

SteelerNation1
10-27-2008, 09:40 AM
It is crazy how some of the threads want to pin this loss on Arians or Tomlin. Ben blew it plain and simple. He is the one who threw 4 INTs! He is the one who held the ball too long!

Don't go to this "playcalling BS." Ben has the option to hot read and audible out of any play at anytime. His problem continues to be looking for plays downfield versus taking what the defense is giving him. He is paid $100M to be an elite QB. He has to make the difference and he failed yesterday

Everyone like to love and worship the players and view coaches as necessary, replaceable carbon units but players have to execute and our most importnat one didn't yesterday.
I am convinced Ben is not a 3 step drop QB. It just isnt his game.

rpmpit
10-27-2008, 09:52 AM
I was too disgusted to watch any post game stuff last night. Did Ben give his trademark, "this ones on me" press conference?

In this case I have to agree. Yeah, give credit to the Giants, but come on now.

And I also agree with SN1 that the three-step drop is not Ben's game. But this year, because our o-line is so beat up, IT HAS TO BE. Just get rid of the damn ball already!!!

frankthetank1
10-27-2008, 10:04 AM
ben didnt play well but im blaming starks, colon and carter for this loss. that and bad luck having the warren get hurt. if colon didnt hold than ben's numbers would be a lot better. why dont they throw the ball to heath miller more? that would take a lot of pressure off of ben and the o-line. i cant even remember the last ball miller has dropped

SteelerNation1
10-27-2008, 10:06 AM
I was too disgusted to watch any post game stuff last night. Did Ben give his trademark, "this ones on me" press conference?

And I also agree with SN1 that the three-step drop is not Ben's game. But this year, because our o-line is so beat up, IT HAS TO BE. Just get rid of the damn ball already!!!
I like the 3 step drop out of the shotgun...not enough of that. He just frickin double clutches EVERY throw.

SteelerNation1
10-27-2008, 10:07 AM
why dont they throw the ball to heath miller more? that would take a lot of pressure off of ben and the o-line. i cant even remember the last ball miller has dropped
$$$$$$$$ Heath should have 8-10 targets a game

JAR
10-27-2008, 10:21 AM
If Nate's TD didn't get negated by the holding call, it's 21-9. That was the game changer.

frankthetank1
10-27-2008, 10:22 AM
why dont they throw the ball to heath miller more? that would take a lot of pressure off of ben and the o-line. i cant even remember the last ball miller has dropped

if he was on any other team he would have just as good numbers as any te in the league

rpmpit
10-27-2008, 10:25 AM

I like the 3 step drop out of the shotgun...not enough of that. He just frickin double clutches EVERY throw.

Yeah, you think he's getting rid of it and there's that split second of relief. Only to realize he's still holding the damn ball. Its so frustrating. And I'm not saying I want him to be a gunslinger like that idiot, Favre. But if there's nothing there, just throw it away or maybe even run. He used to run a lot more than he does now. What's up with that?

And to your and frank's point on Heath, he was hitting him in the first half and then they went away from him. WHY???

frankthetank1
10-27-2008, 10:27 AM
If Nate's TD didn't get negated by the holding call, it's 21-9. That was the game changer.

yup that was a big call. it was a marginal call that most of the time doesnt get called but it was a slight hold and a hold is a hold. how bout nate though!!!

Ghost
10-27-2008, 10:34 AM
Miller had 3 receptions yesterday. That's criminal, ridiculous, unexplainable - insert whatever word you like... How the @#$ does that happen?

I have to agree with Oveido - Ben's suppossed to be the elite, franchise QB who makes a difference in a close game. He should be calling audibles based on what he sees at the line. He looked bad yesterday. The defense needed a rest and the O simply couldn't get a first down.

I'm trying to be positive but I just don't understand how anyone looks at the offensive numbers and performance and comes away ok with the game or not a bit concerned with the string of games coming up.

Oviedo
10-27-2008, 11:45 AM

Absolutley. Heath should be the primary receiver on at least 25% of the pass plays called and he should be the primary receiver on all hot reads. He could easily have 30+ receptions right now if Ben would throw it to him.

AngryAsian
10-27-2008, 11:49 AM
Of course the lion's share of the blame will fall on the signal caller who is suppose to read what the defense is giving him and make changes accordingly, see what hot routes might be plausible for him... on and on. But Arians has to share in the blame. How can you go back to the 7 step drop when the shot gun and no-huddle has been the staple of your won games. How can you not incorporate Miller continuously in a game where in the beginning he was a major contributor to your yardage gained. How can you repeatedly call plays up the middle when they were stuffing the run over and over again. No change up in game strategy. We are such an easy offense to prepare for. There are no in-game adjustments and their is no diversity in plays called. Blame Ben all you want, and to a certain degree, I agree (4 INTS is not the coaching staff's fault)... but if people negate the possibility that the offensive game plan sucked and was too predictable, then people need to get a clue. This falls on a couple of people's shoulder.

That being said, we need to move on.. its a long season and there are plenty of wins left in this team.

Iron Shiek
10-27-2008, 11:51 AM
Miller had 3 receptions yesterday. That's criminal, ridiculous, unexplainable - insert whatever word you like... How the @#$ does that happen?

I have to agree with Oveido - Ben's suppossed to be the elite, franchise QB who makes a difference in a close game. He should be calling audibles based on what he sees at the line. He looked bad yesterday. The defense needed a rest and the O simply couldn't get a first down.

I'm trying to be positive but I just don't understand how anyone looks at the offensive numbers and performance and comes away ok with the game or not a bit concerned with the string of games coming up.

No kidding. 7 yards in the 4th quarter...total? Ri-goddam-diculous

Iron Shiek
10-27-2008, 11:58 AM
Of course the lion's share of the blame will fall on the signal caller who is suppose to read what the defense is giving him and make changes accordingly, see what hot routes might be plausible for him... on and on. But Arians has to share in the blame. How can you go back to the 7 step drop when the shot gun and no-huddle has been the staple of your won games. How can you not incorporate Miller continuously in a game where in the beginning he was a major contributor to your yardage gained. How can you repeatedly call plays up the middle when they were stuffing the run over and over again. No change up in game strategy. We are such an easy offense to prepare for. There are no in-game adjustments and their is no diversity in plays called. Blame Ben all you want, and to a certain degree, I agree (4 INTS is not the coaching staff's fault)... but if people negate the possibility that the offensive game plan sucked and was too predictable, then people need to get a clue. This falls on a couple of people's shoulder.

That being said, we need to move on.. its a long season and there are plenty of wins left in this team.

We proved we can play with these "good" teams. Both losses were winnable games, so its not all horrible news. But they need to develop that killer instinct. We won 3/4ths of that game yesterday and the Eagles game was in our grasp. There are definitely issues that need to be dealt with.

MeetJoeGreene
10-27-2008, 12:06 PM
Whomever you want to blame, offensively, you are probably partially right.

SteelerNation1
10-27-2008, 12:15 PM
Ben left a lot of running yards out there. By that, I mean, he could have taken off on at least 4 occasions that I remember. The middle of the field was wide open on occasion and he could have probably scrambled for 35+ yards in the game.

stlrz d
10-27-2008, 02:25 PM
Ben left a lot of running yards out there. By that, I mean, he could have taken off on at least 4 occasions that I remember. The middle of the field was wide open on occasion and he could have probably scrambled for 35+ yards in the game.

I found myself asking why he wasn't running on a few occasions as well.

As for the 3 step drop, I saw Ben hit some slants (sorry AS) in the game. I think the issue is Arians stating that he doesn't like them and being reluctant to use them.

rpmpit
10-27-2008, 02:32 PM

Yeah, I mentioned Ben no longer running in one of my replies to you on the previous page. Has anyone (in the media) asked him about this? He used to gain a lot of yardage on runs. Why has he stopped?

steelblood
10-27-2008, 03:01 PM
Giants glamepanned for STeelers blitz. Lots of dump offs, slants, short passes.

Steelers gameplan for Giants. Begin by spreading them out and going no huddle and attacking their average secondary. Follow that up with 7 step drops and mid to deep looks. Put Ben under center and leave Heath in to max protect while inviting the giants to continually blitz 5 or 6.

Ben sucked, but the gameplan and playcalling in the second half could not have been worse. Where was the chip and release dump play to Miller and Moore? That is an easy one against the blitz that every team runs regularly (except us).

AngryAsian
10-28-2008, 04:02 AM
Giants glamepanned for STeelers blitz. Lots of dump offs, slants, short passes.

Steelers gameplan for Giants. Begin by spreading them out and going no huddle and attacking their average secondary. Follow that up with 7 step drops and mid to deep looks. Put Ben under center and leave Heath in to max protect while inviting the giants to continually blitz 5 or 6.

Ben sucked, but the gameplan and playcalling in the second half could not have been worse. Where was the chip and release dump play to Miller and Moore? That is an easy one against the blitz that every team runs regularly (except us).

Your logic is too sound...

Wish Arians could display some of the same ability to reason. :x

SteelStallion
10-28-2008, 04:00 PM
Blame Ben? The tone of this thread is ridiculous.

Why blame anybody? They play very well against the world camps and with numerous injuries. Cause for optimism I think.

Why desecrate your franchise QB? This team couldn't win a game without Big Ben.

Despite the three picks which I don't apologize for, let's balance this with the reality that he had few open receivers against a great defense. Blame Holmes if you have to since he's their only true deep threat. Without him you have Ward who's too old to get opened against that caliber of D, Sweed who's too green (but still had some nice catches) and Washington who's too inconsistent (had a good game for him but can't carry a team)-too easy to cover with Holmes gone due to mental and emotional retardation.

Clark's injury was a game changer. Blame that if you have to. Warren's injury was a game changer too.

Ben keeps us in every game, even when he has an off game. Let's remember what Steeler life was like before we had a Big Ben. :Bow

BURGH86STEEL
10-28-2008, 09:12 PM

Why blame anybody? They play very well against the world camps and with numerous injuries. Cause for optimism I think.

Despite the three picks which I don't apologize for, let's balance this with the reality that he had few open receivers against a great defense. Blame Holmes if you have to since he's their only true deep threat. Without him you have Ward who's too old to get opened against that caliber of D, Sweed who's too green (but still had some nice catches) and Washington who's too inconsistent (had a good game for him but can't carry a team)-too easy to cover with Holmes gone due to mental and emotional retardation.

Clark's injury was a game changer. Blame that if you have to. Warren's injury was a game changer too.

Ben keeps us in every game, even when he has an off game. Let's remember what Steeler life was like before we had a Big Ben. :Bow
The defense played fairly well against the Giants. The offense was inconsistant.

People blame Arians for not going to Miller more. How do they know that plays were not designed to go to Miller? Maybe the Giants had him covered? Maybe Ben did not look his way? No one can say for sure. Just because he did not get the ball does not mean his number was not called.

I do not think any one is desecrating Ben. Overall, he stunk against the Giants. That is the simple truth. His play has been inconsistant this year. This team could win games without Ben. They could not win games without a good defense. Defense is the back bone of this team.

How do you know how many WRs were open? Ben has a problem throwing with anticipation right when WRs break their routes. I've seen it with my own eyes. He also has a problem taking what the defense gives on a consistant basis. Sometimes he would rather hold the ball than throw it out to an open player in the flat. It is Ben's job to make everybody on the offense better. It is why QBs get paid more than any other player. No one is downing Ben and what he means to this team. He has to improve for this offense to improve.

I agree that blame can go around to every player on the team. One think is certain, this team won't win games when they give the ball to the other team 4 times.

Always remember that the defense keeps us in most games.

blacknblue80s
10-28-2008, 09:48 PM

The defense played fairly well against the Giants. The offense was inconsistant.

People blame Arians for not going to Miller more. How do they know that plays were not designed to go to Miller? Maybe the Giants had him covered? Maybe Ben did not look his way? No one can say for sure. Just because he did not get the ball does not mean his number was not called.

I do not think any one is desecrating Ben. Overall, he stunk against the Giants. That is the simple truth. His play has been inconsistant this year. This team could win games without Ben. They could not win games without a good defense. Defense is the back bone of this team.

How do you know how many WRs were open? Ben has a problem throwing with anticipation right when WRs break their routes. I've seen it with my own eyes. He also has a problem taking what the defense gives on a consistant basis. Sometimes he would rather hold the ball than throw it out to an open player in the flat. It is Ben's job to make everybody on the offense better. It is why QBs get paid more than any other player. No one is downing Ben and what he means to this team. He has to improve for this offense to improve.

I agree that blame can go around to every player on the team. One think is certain, this team won't win games when they give the ball to the other team 4 times.

Always remember that the defense keeps us in most games.

He was blocking most of the second half, IMO he would have been much more valuable as a relief valve for Ben.