PDA

View Full Version : I hear what you guys are saying, but ...

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-26-2008, 08:28 PM
:Agree It sucked, we lost, we could have won.

A lot of folks are saying we sucked. I understand and respect that, but when the game ended and I turned off the TV I had a different perspective.

I thought we played a tough game, meaning it wasn't anything to hang our heads about. We almost beat the team many consider the best in the NFL right now, and we did this with a 3rd string RB, a 2nd then 3rd string safety, hamstrung punter, 3rd and 4th string WRs ... It didn't turn out right, but I thought we fought hard.

Would SAH have made a difference tonight? Maybe so. But I think in the long run sitting Holmes was the right thing to do, it will shut down more problems in the future than it caused tonight.

The injuries are what's worrying me the most, on top of everything else, tonight may have done us in for the season.

Re: the play calling. All those who say Ariens should be shot for the "up the middles" that didn't get anywhere -- what about the times that called worked great tonight, which it did for Moore? You guys know I'm as far from an Ariens fan as can be (I'm the one that started that get rid of Ariens poll), but really did he call any worse a game than the Giants OC did?

Ben holding on to the ball on the last "drive" - without seeing what the downfield coverage was, can't judge if he should have thrown it away sooner.

Sorry if this doesn't make the most sense, I'm feeling pretty bad now like everyone, but I personally don't think the Steelers f*d up. When the game comes down to an injured long snapper, what can you do?

stlrz d
10-26-2008, 08:30 PM
My beef with the "up the middles" is that he kept calling them even after they had been shut down.

Early on they worked. Later on they didn't. But he kept calling them.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-26-2008, 08:33 PM
My beef with the "up the middles" is that he kept calling them even after they had been shut down.

Early on they worked. Later on they didn't. But he kept calling them.

Yeah, I know what you're saying. I'm at the point that I've lost perspective, it's too easy to say that if Ariens did it and it didn't work, it was a dumb*ss call. Maybe when it gets to that point, that's the definition of "losing confidence" ... and he has to go.

I don't know, I'm so bumbed right now that it's a good thing I don't have to make any major life changing decisions tonight!

buckeyehoppy
10-26-2008, 08:43 PM
The New York Giants lost...to the Clowns!

They beat the Steelers on the road, but lost to the Clowns on the road.

There is no excuse for that.

The Steelers didn't have more than a handful of off-tackle runs all day.

They couldn't use the TE in the passing game.

They created no turnovers.

The O couldn't mount a drive at any time after the first drive.

If there's anything I forgot, let me know.

Ozey74
10-26-2008, 09:33 PM
If we have a long snapper not go down, were all $hit$ and giggles about our team.

sd steel
10-26-2008, 10:24 PM
If we have a long snapper not go down, were all $hit$ and giggles about our team.

Thank you, and there you have it.

RussBII
10-26-2008, 10:28 PM

That's not _entirely_ true. The way the offense was going 3 and out there towards the end makes me think that the defense was bound to get tired and give up a score or two. I'm not saying we would've still lost had Greg Warren not go down, but I don't think it's a lock that we would've won had he not gotten hurt.

If GW' isn't injured, and the team had won I would most likely still be a little bothered about how the Offense disappears for looooong stretches of time. Though, I would've been abso-effing-lutely thrilled with the W.

BURGH86STEEL
10-26-2008, 10:35 PM
The New York Giants lost...to the Clowns!

They beat the Steelers on the road, but lost to the Clowns on the road.

There is no excuse for that.

The Steelers didn't have more than a handful of off-tackle runs all day.

They couldn't use the TE in the passing game.

They created no turnovers.

The O couldn't mount a drive at any time after the first drive.

If there's anything I forgot, let me know.

Just because the Browns defeated the Giants does not mean anything. Why do fans get caught up into all that? Every team has the talent to win. Even the Browns. The teams that get that talent to play consistantly well together wins more often. What difference would more off tackle runs had made? Miller caught 3 passes. That was tied for best on the team. I think the Ben's stuggles and the Giant's defense had a say in how well the offense performed. Even though they did not get any turnovers, the defense did a decent job. Especially since they were put in a bad position for most of the scoring drives. I agree that the offense had issues. Combine that and going against a pretty good defensive team and that is what you get.

sd steel
10-26-2008, 11:16 PM

That's not _entirely_ true. The way the offense was going 3 and out there towards the end makes me think that the defense was bound to get tired and give up a score or two. I'm not saying we would've still lost had Greg Warren not go down, but I don't think it's a lock that we would've won had he not gotten hurt.

If GW' isn't injured, and the team had won I would most likely still be a little bothered about how the Offense disappears for looooong stretches of time. Though, I would've been abso-effing-lutely thrilled with the W.

I agree, but it was a huge factor. We might have tried a long field goal, we might have got a good punt off. There are obviously some problems with our offense, but the true deciding factor in this game against the Super Bowl champs was the injury to the long snapper. BTW seeing his knee buckle kind of grossed me out.

Chadman
10-27-2008, 02:35 AM
Hmmm...

The Steelers played poorly, with minimal personel, and against the SB Champs...

And lost by a TD.

After a comical stuff-up allowed the Giants back in the game (Harrison's snap...still makes Chadman smile ruefully...)

Even with the Steelers best player (Ben) having a terrible game...

Even with the O-Line struggling in pass protection...

Still only lost by 1 TD.

Somehow, Chadman doesn't think the Steelers lost much in this game.

The Giants, however, couldn't 'beat' the Steelers even with all this against them.

At the business end of the season, if the Steelers are somewhat fit, and they meet again...the result will be different.

frankthetank1
10-27-2008, 07:25 AM
i thought the steelers played one of their best games of the year. they only gave up one td. they shut down the giants run game which averages 170 a game. they didnt have any sacks or to's but the giants couldnt move the ball either. you take that one big play they had on 4th and 2 when ike was out and gay was in and carter, then it would of been a different outcome. the colon hold was a bad penalty to take, but max starks giving up 3 sacks, that is what did them in. starks is awful, i pray that marvel smith comes back soon. they are screwed at LT

Oviedo
10-27-2008, 08:58 AM
i thought the steelers played one of their best games of the year. they only gave up one td. they shut down the giants run game which averages 170 a game. they didnt have any sacks or to's but the giants couldnt move the ball either. you take that one big play they had on 4th and 2 when ike was out and gay was in and carter, then it would of been a different outcome. the colon hold was a bad penalty to take, but max starks giving up 3 sacks, that is what did them in. starks is awful, i pray that marvel smith comes back soon. they are screwed at LT

OT is clearly a problem. Starks underperformed and hopefully he improves with playing time. He was also playing against the best DL in the NFL.

Colon is a more long term issue. He is totally overmatched against 4-3 defenses with good DEs. He isn't getting better.

motter1975
10-27-2008, 08:58 AM
Hmmm...

The Steelers played poorly, with minimal personel, and against the SB Champs...

And lost by a TD.

After a comical stuff-up allowed the Giants back in the game (Harrison's snap...still makes Chadman smile ruefully...)

Even with the Steelers best player (Ben) having a terrible game...

Even with the O-Line struggling in pass protection...

Still only lost by 1 TD.

Somehow, Chadman doesn't think the Steelers lost much in this game.

The Giants, however, couldn't 'beat' the Steelers even with all this against them.

At the business end of the season, if the Steelers are somewhat fit, and they meet again...the result will be different.

Chadman-
You summed up my post-game thoughts about perfectly. I would have been upset had we be blown out in this game, but I thought going into the game that it could go either way, and seeing all the injuries, was pretty pleased that it came down to 1 touchdown. Not a good day for Ben to have a bad day, when added to everything else, but it happens. I'm more interested to see how we come out and play next week against the Redskins, on the road, on Monday night. If we can regroup and come out and have a solid day and come up with a win, I'll be a happy camper. (Plus I'll be at the game, so I really want a good game and a win!)