PDA

View Full Version : Aaron Smith :(

stlrz d
10-26-2008, 12:17 AM
Can't find a link for it anywhere, but I am reading in several places that his personal reasons for missing practice and for possibly not playing in the game against the Giants:

His 4 year old son Elijah was diagnosed with childhood leukemia.

:( :( :( :(

AkronSteel
10-26-2008, 12:28 AM
That is tragic!!!!

steelernation77
10-26-2008, 12:43 AM
I've been hearing similar things as well.

As far as impacting the team, I think that, while DL was a need before, this might push it up the draft board even more. I could see Aaron either retiring or taking a long time off to spend more time with his son (something I would fully agree with). He would leave a huge hole at DE, and would certainly make drafting a DE in the first a very real possibility.

RuthlessBurgher
10-26-2008, 12:46 AM
Found the following online, which might be a silver lining to a dark, dark cloud:

With the proper treatment, the outlook for kids who are diagnosed with leukemia is quite good. Some forms of childhood leukemia have a remission rate of up to 90%; all children then require regular maintenance chemotherapy and other treatment to continue to be cancer-free. Overall cure rates differ depending on the specific features of a child's disease. Most childhood leukemias have very high remission rates. And the majority of children can be cured - meaning that they are in permanent remission - of the disease.

steelz09
10-26-2008, 01:04 AM
Let's hope for Aaron and his family's sake that everything will turn out alright..

Very sad news indeed..

rpmpit
10-26-2008, 08:27 AM
Wow, that is terrible. Armpit jr. scrapes his knee and I feel like I got punched in the nuts. I can't imagine what AS and his family are going through.

But just to add to Ruthless' post, I'm 35 and a girl I went to grammar school with was diagnosed with leukemia in the third grade. With treatment she has lived a normal, healthy life. And I would think that the technology and meds are much improved today.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-26-2008, 10:07 AM
Some childhood leukemias have pretty darn good odds of being beaten, and others have a miserable prognosis despite all the best current treatment. In either case, it can be a very rough road. A lot of support is needed. I could see his continuing playing if his family has that, but either way it's got to be emotionally devastating.

buckeyehoppy
10-26-2008, 12:17 PM
Hopefully everything works out for Smitty. Losing any kid to a curable disease is just sucky.

Whenever he's ready to return, I'm ready to urge him on. :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

RuthlessBurgher
10-27-2008, 01:56 PM
It was great to see Smitty out there, and it was a class move by the organization to announce the starting defensive lineup in the unusual order of LB's, then DB's, then d-line, so that Aaron would be the last one out of the tunnel so that crowd could truly show him our appreciation for what he must be going through.

And to think how worried I am about my 4 year old daughter needing surgery to remove her tonsils and adenoids tomorrow.

MeetJoeGreene
10-27-2008, 03:11 PM
It was great to see Smitty out there, and it was a class move by the organization to announce the starting defensive lineup in the unusual order of LB's, then DB's, then d-line, so that Aaron would be the last one out of the tunnel so that crowd could truly show him our appreciation for what he must be going through.

And to think how worried I am about my 4 year old daughter needing surgery to remove her tonsils and adenoids tomorrow.

Good luck with that. It is very routine so it should be fine. And you can spoil her with ice cream for the next few weeks.

SteelerNation1
10-27-2008, 05:39 PM
I had read that on another board and didn't want t post it. I had tears in my yesterday when they announced him last during intros. Like armpit said, I feel sick when my 20 month old gets hurt...I cannot imagine what him and his family are going through. God Bless Smitty and Elijiah. My prayers are with them!

Shawn
10-27-2008, 10:05 PM
My thoughts and prayers are with the Smith family.

proudpittsburgher
10-29-2008, 10:43 AM
My thoughts and prayers are with the Smith family.

Yea, I second that. You knew it was something bad the way his teammates were talking about it, players crying in the locker room and marveling over the fact that he can and played despite his family issues . . . that didn't sound like an impending divorce to me. Don't know a whole lot about the guy personally, but his character sounds rock solid and it sounds like he is among the most respected guys in the locker room. As a father to three little proudpittsburghers, I just don't have the words. :cry: