PDA

View Full Version : Santonio found with weed

steelernation77
10-23-2008, 11:32 PM
http://www.wpxi.com/news/17791739/detail.html

Steeler Santonio Holmes Accused Of Marijuana Possession
Drugs Found During Traffic Stop
Thursday, October 23, 2008 – updated: 10:52 pm EDT October 23, 2008

PITTSBURGH -- Police cited Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes on charges of marijuana possession Thursday afternoon.
Pittsburgh police said Holmes was driving a SUV with out-of-state license plates near Mellon Arena. The vehicle matched the description of one linked to a crime, so officers made an investigatory stop.
“When they pulled him over, they found there was a smell of burnt marijuana in the vehicle," said Sgt. James Vogel. “Mr. Holmes was very cooperative with officers and turned over some items to us and was subsequently summoned for those items...a couple of marijuana blunts.”
Police said Holmes turned over three marijuana cigars. Officers charged Holmes with one misdemeanor count of possession of a small amount of marijuana. Holmes was given a summons to court and released.
Vogel said Holmes was very cooperative, respectful and wasn’t impaired. He thinks that should be taken into account when it comes to any potential action taken against him by the Steelers and the NFL.
“We wouldn't expect a steelworker to be laid off or suspended without pay,” said Vogel. “I wouldn't expect a police officer, firefighter or a member of the Steelers.”
The Steelers did not have any comment.
The NFL policy for substance abuse says for a first violation, the NFL could fine and suspend a player without pay for up to four regular games or six games for a second violation.
Copyright 2008 by WPXI.com. All rights reserved. This material may not be published, broadcast, rewritten or redistributed.

AkronSteel
10-23-2008, 11:36 PM
OMG....... :wft

Are you kidding me? This is rediculous.......not now Santonio!!! Geez, like the team needs to deal with this right now. This is not a good thing!

steelernation77
10-23-2008, 11:43 PM
Ok, so this isn't on the front page of wpxi's sports website and no other news outlet is reporting it, so I wonder if this actually happened.

steelernation77
10-23-2008, 11:56 PM
Looks like it may be true

http://www.wpxi.com/video/17792071/index.html

costanza2k1
10-23-2008, 11:57 PM
dumb ass

AngryAsian
10-24-2008, 12:39 AM
This is not good. I don't think it would be immediate, but I think the league stance on this is a four game suspension plus voluntary admission to a drug treatment program. What a terrible time to have this happen. The Matt Jones (Jags) cocaine-thing happened pre-season, and he's only now serving his suspension, so I hope, if things are going down this road, we need him gone as soon as possible so we have Santonio for the post season. This blows.

AkronSteel
10-24-2008, 12:43 AM
This is not good. I don't think it would be immediate, but I think the league stance on this is a four game suspension plus voluntary admission to a drug treatment program. What a terrible time to have this happen. The Matt Jones (Jags) cocaine-thing happened pre-season, and he's only now serving his suspension, so I hope, if things are going down this road, we need him gone as soon as possible so we have Santonio for the post season. This blows.

I agree brother.....but Kevin Faulk was busted with two joints at a concert in the offseason and he only recieved a game suspension. If this is truly his first problem with the NFL drug program maybe he will just get a slap on the wrist. Heck, Nick Kaczur was busted with 250 Oxicoton's and he is still playing. There is hope.....all though Santonio is what Cos said.........a dumba$$!

AngryAsian
10-24-2008, 01:53 AM

I agree brother.....but Kevin Faulk was busted with two joints at a concert in the offseason and he only recieved a game suspension. If this is truly his first problem with the NFL drug program maybe he will just get a slap on the wrist. Heck, Nick Kaczur was busted with 250 Oxicoton's and he is still playing. There is hope.....all though Santonio is what Cos said.........a dumba$$!

That gives me a little bit of relief. But with the way the league seems to have been targetting Steeler players lately, things like this really spook me. The whole team is really playing inspired ball lately... don't want to lose that mojo.

Discipline of Steel
10-24-2008, 07:27 AM
Hint to all Steelers...DO NOT POSSESS YOUR WEED IN PUBLIC! It is just itching to be found. I bet that Tomlin will be more angry than Goodell for blowing up our 'mojo'. If the NFL doesnt suspend him, I think Tomlin should 1 game just because. I know its just weed but...We are on a focused march to the Super Bowl and any distraction needs to be addressed. I bet Hines Ward is pretty pissed as well...

Oviedo
10-24-2008, 07:41 AM
No double standard--I hope the league suspends "Stupidio's" a$$. Get Willie Reid off of the Eagles PS or get Sweed into games.

I guess we have to add WR to the list of necessary positions because we won't be resigning Holmes when his contract is up if he is this stupid and unreliable.

It's possible that Nate Washington just made himself a bunch of money and the Steelers will seriously need to consider resigning him because of "Stupidio"

stlrz d
10-24-2008, 07:47 AM
What a dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb, dumb thing to do!

:HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

steelblood
10-24-2008, 07:50 AM
He'll get one or two games (as long as there is nothing else on his docket that we don't know about). They don't normally suspend for playoff games. So, if the NFL's investigation takes too long, the suspension could wait until next year. What a moron.

Discipline of Steel
10-24-2008, 07:53 AM
Crap, now I AM nervous about the Giants game just because of the drag on our focus. I dont think it needs to be a threat to his long term emplyment with the Steelers, however. Unless he does it again...

MeetJoeGreene
10-24-2008, 08:01 AM

But Kevin Faulk is a Patriot. They get special treatment.

How STUPID can you be.

To smoke WEED while you are DRIVING.

(Doesn't the dude carry a can of air freshner spray for stops like this??)

It doesn't just impacts him, it impacts the TEAM.

I wonder if he will be charged with some sort of driving under influence as well.

Iron Shiek
10-24-2008, 08:19 AM
Being a big Santonio fan (since his days at tOSU [stole that from SMG]) I am extremely disappointed...not at wanting to spark up (go ahead and do it), but for his incredibly poor judgment. Why are you carrying it around and smoking it while driving. That is bad judgment and sorry y'all, but he needs to be suspended and learn from this. Smoke that $hit in your house or at your boy's house. WTF.

The fact that his vehicle matched the description of a vehicle involved in a crime scared me more, but I suppose they wouldn't have let him go if there was more to it.

:HeadBanger

Time...at some point...for Sweed and Nate and Dallas to step up big.

motter1975
10-24-2008, 08:27 AM
It never ceases to amaze me how stupid some of these NFL players are...you don't do that stuff in public...it's too damn easy to get caught! I get just as upset with the players arrested for DUI...you make plenty of money to hire a driver! I don't have a big problem with the pot smoking (personally I think it should be legal, but that's another topic), but to do it in your car?!? That's just stupid! Santonio gets the stupid smack for this one!

rpmpit
10-24-2008, 08:29 AM
I'm actually surprised that a Pittsburgh cop didn't just let Holmes go when he saw who he was. Not a knock against Pittsburgh cops, I just know how local celebrities are usually treated when this kind of thing happens.

MeetJoeGreene
10-24-2008, 08:33 AM
I'm actually surprised that a Pittsburgh cop didn't just let Holmes go when he saw who he was. Not a knock against Pittsburgh cops, I just know how local celebrities are usually treated when this kind of thing happens.

I thought of that myself.
I don't think they can anymore. Most of them have the camera's in their car and microphones recording everything ... not like in the olden days.

rpmpit
10-24-2008, 08:44 AM

I don't think they can anymore. Most of them have the camera's in their car and microphones recording everything ... not like in the olden days.

Yeah, good point.

My friend is a NJ State Trooper and they have the cameras and mics. But as far as I know the municipals in jersey don't. I guess it could be different in PA.

RussBII
10-24-2008, 08:55 AM
I wonder if he was alone in the car. It's possible he wasn't smoking. It still doesn't make it any less stupid though. I wonder if they tested him to see how much, if any was in his system/

I don't care if he smokes weed. I'm never shocked about finding out someone smokes weed. It's turning into such a non-issue with most folks (excluding the law... but that's another conversation).

However if you want to pay me millions of dollars to do something that I love, and you tell me to not do something that is already illegal. I'm certainly not going to do it.

Even if I WERE going to do it, I certainly wouldn't do it in a car in public. Very stupid. I wonder if this will count as his first offense against the Personal Conduct policy, and he'll only miss one game.

Funny that Santonio getting popped with weed will possibly get Sweed on the field in a bigger role...

Iron Shiek
10-24-2008, 08:59 AM
That's why I said I'm not disappointed that he had it or smoked it as to me its a non issue too.

But he should get suspended for the poor judgment alone. You've gotta make better decisions being in that position I think. But hey, these guys see themselves as normal, average Joes with just another job. Football is work to most of them. So the fact that we say "He's making millions he should know better" or "being in the position that he is in" holds no merit for most of these guys. So it sucks, but most of them don't care. I just wish they understand that thousands of people don't come to my cubicle and cheer when I finish a power point presentation.

motter1975
10-24-2008, 09:02 AM
That's why I said I'm not disappointed that he had it or smoked it as to me its a non issue too.

But he should get suspended for the poor judgment alone. You've gotta make better decisions being in that position I think. But hey, these guys see themselves as normal, average Joes with just another job. Football is work to most of them. So the fact that we say "He's making millions he should know better" or "being in the position that he is in" holds no merit for most of these guys. So it sucks, but most of them don't care. I just wish they understand that thousands of people don't come to my cubicle and cheer when I finish a power point presentation.

:lol: :lol:

SteelerNation1
10-24-2008, 09:10 AM
What an idiot! Man I was already to wear my #10 throwback to the game. Plus, my sons jersey fir this year is santonio. Looks like I have to get him a new one

rpmpit
10-24-2008, 09:16 AM
What an idiot! Man I was already to wear my #10 throwback to the game. Plus, my sons jersey fir this year is santonio. Looks like I have to get him a new one

That blows. I guess you could always turn them into Kordell jerseys :lol:

AngryAsian
10-24-2008, 09:17 AM

These guys have been getting special treatment since high school for their special athletic gifts, continued through college and then the big pay day of having a coveted NFL multi-million dollar contract. They've never had to fathom the "everyday" world and how most of us (within the norm) have to live our lives. Their world is a world of privilege where certain rules never applied. So I'm not at all surprise about the mentality that went into (or lack of) this kind of act. And I'm not at all asking for the double standard because I'm part of the nation. I do however want what is fair. Matt Jones got busted for possession of cocaine and got only a two game suspension.

Pot (or in this case "dope") is IMO, more benign. But it is still illegal. I hope they do throw the book at him and he does whatever it takes to get reinstated the correct way. I don't think anybody of the Nation would disagree. We don't have double standard views. I think the Nation as a whole think this is the most dumbest act, because of the untimeliness of it. When your team needs its key pieces to make a serious run at the meatiest part of our horrific schedule, during a time when so many components have been missing due to injuries, you go and jeopardize your team's chances of winning games by smoking blunts in your car. Completely moronic on his part. Hope he gets a just measure for his act of idiocy... but more importantly I hope this team can weather the storm in his absence.

MeetJoeGreene
10-24-2008, 09:19 AM

Maybe if you made more effective use of animations and jazzed-up slide transitions, people would.

But seriously, I get a kick out of players talking out of both sides of their mouth. They play the "average Joe" card when it suits them, but then want to have HUGE contracts and all of the FREE trimmings and VIP treatment.

They ain't average Joes. So, if that means giving up weed or a vice for a few years, then do it. Maybe that is why Holmes isn't having a monster year -- he is smoking too much.

MeetJoeGreene
10-24-2008, 09:21 AM

Yeah, good point.

My friend is a NJ State Trooper and they have the cameras and mics. But as far as I know the municipals in jersey don't. I guess it could be different in PA.

Probably smaller towns, etc don't. I guess I was assuming this was Pittsburgh and that the bigger city forces do have those capabilitiies

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-24-2008, 09:35 AM
I wouldn't worry too much about the Giants game if Holmes is playing. This incident might make him have a career game to show the Rooneys & FO he is worthy and he deserves a second chance. On the other hand, if Holmes is invisible on Sunday I think this could be a problem. It could be the beginning of a fall-off. We will see how mature Holmes really is and what his character is made of. He needs to apologize to the organization, his teamates, his fans, and most importantly...His family for letting everyone down...By his play on the field starting Sunday!!! He made a huge mistake!!! I'm still a big fan...But I am disappointed!!! I hope he learns from his mistake.

Zig
10-24-2008, 09:36 AM
Dumb move by Santonio. Hope he learns from it.....but it is time for Sweed to step in and show what he can do!

:tt1

Oviedo
10-24-2008, 09:44 AM
It has amazed me to read the number of posters who have taken the position on this that "I don't care if he smokes weed because I do to" or "its no big deal."

It is a big deal because it is:

a) illegal reagardless of your opinion
b) he works for a corporation called the NFL that can suspend him from contributing to his team

Following the same logic I guess it would be OK for him to possess child pornography or have sex with a 13 year old girls as long as she wanted to and it was OK with her parents. Forget what the law says. He wasn't hurting anyone. It's a dumb law.

Stupidio deserves to have his butt suspended and I hope the Steelers don't resign someone who can be so thoughtless and selfish.

Iron Shiek
10-24-2008, 09:48 AM
You're making a big leap from weed smoking to child porn. But whatever. I don't smoke it and he is only harming himself by doing it. Regardless, he should show better judgment.

Oviedo
10-24-2008, 10:15 AM
You're making a big leap from weed smoking to child porn. But whatever. I don't smoke it and he is only harming himself by doing it. Regardless, he should show better judgment.

Yes I am but I use the extreme example to illustrate that illegal is illegal. Laws are not a smorgashbord that you get to pick and choose from depending of personal tastes. Clearly there are deviats who think child porn laws are wrong just like there are those who try to rationalize weed.

Bottomline-Stpidio has let everyone in the organization and city down before one of our biggest games of the season.

ramblinjim
10-24-2008, 10:29 AM
SANTONIO needs to remember to SMOKE HIS WEED AT HOME.

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeez...........

Oviedo
10-24-2008, 10:31 AM
SANTONIO needs to remember to SMOKE HIS WEED AT HOME.

Geeeeeeeeeeeeeez...........

How about not smoking at all because IT"S ILLEGAL!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

:HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger :HeadBanger

costanza2k1
10-24-2008, 10:40 AM
Post Gazette says:

Steelers Coach Mike Tomlin will address Holmes' situation and his status for Sunday's game against the New York Giants following the team's morning practice today.

RussBII
10-24-2008, 10:56 AM
Eh, yeah weed is illegal. So is speeding, and oral sex (in some states), downloading MP3s, and a whole host of other things that mostly law abiding citizens do ALL the time. To compare it to child pornography is a bit of a stretch because w/ child pornography there is a _definite_ third party victim. Somebody smoking up generally doesn't hurt anyone but themselves... and even that is debatable.

Personally, I don't care what choices he makes as long as it doesn't harm anyone else. Now obviously this can potentially harm his team. So it's gotta go.... or at least exercise some freaking judgment about when and where...

SteelerNation1
10-24-2008, 11:01 AM
Eh, yeah weed is illegal. So is speeding, and oral sex (in some states), downloading MP3s, and a whole host of other things that mostly law abiding citizens do ALL the time. To compare it to child pornography is a bit of a stretch because w/ child pornography there is a _definite_ third party victim. Somebody smoking up generally doesn't hurt anyone but themselves... and even that is debatable.

Personally, I don't care what choices he makes as long as it doesn't harm anyone else. Now obviously this can potentially harm his team. So it's gotta go.... or at least exercise some freaking judgment about when and where...
Illegal is illegal. :wft What if he would have killed someone while under the influence. Ov,
I am also shocked at the # of posters who think this isn't a big deal. It IS a big deal. I guess I am so upset because we went through this crap earlier with Santurdio. Arrested twice before he ever suited up. Do I think it will affect the outcome of this game sunday? No. Do I think it have an affect on this team? No. Does it change the way I feel about #10? DEFINITELY!

RussBII
10-24-2008, 11:04 AM

Illegal is illegal. :wft What if he would have killed someone while under the influence. Ov,
I am also shocked at the # of posters who think this isn't a big deal. It IS a big deal. I guess I am so upset because we went through this crap earlier with Santurdio. Arrested twice before he ever suited up. Do I think it will affect the outcome of this game sunday? No. Do I think it have an affect on this team? No. Does it change the way I feel about #10? DEFINITELY!

Yes, laws is laws and there's no way around that (unless you are rich and can afford really good counsel.)

I'm just saying that the whole "illegal is illegal" argument can only be used by someone who has NEVER knowingly done something illegal. And there are very few folks in that boat.

Oviedo
10-24-2008, 11:06 AM

Yes, laws is laws and there's no way around that (unless you are rich and can afford really good counsel.)

I'm just saying that the whole "illegal is illegal" argument can only be used by someone who has NEVER knowingly done something illegal. And there are very few folks in that boat.

That is why I used it.

RussBII
10-24-2008, 11:07 AM

That is why I used it.

Then you're a better man than I, because I sped just this morning, and I actively seek out receiving oral sex.

ghettoscott
10-24-2008, 11:17 AM
That is why I used it.

:shock:

C'mon man.....you have NEVER done anything that is against the law? you waited until 21 to drink? you never went 51 in a 50? Never saw a bootleg movie? nothing?

Then you're a better man than I, because I sped just this morning, and I actively seek out receiving oral sex.

:D :Beer

Steely76
10-24-2008, 11:45 AM

PITTSBURGH -- Police cited Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes on charges of marijuana possession Thursday afternoon.
Pittsburgh police said Holmes was driving a SUV with out-of-state license plates near Mellon Arena.

You guys need to leave Sanstonio alone! He was confused. He couldn't remember them putting a dome on Heinz field. :D

RussBII
10-24-2008, 11:48 AM

Pittsburgh police said Holmes was driving a SUV with out-of-state license plates near Mellon Arena.

You guys need to leave Sanstonio alone! He was confused. He couldn't remember them putting a dome on Heinz field. :D

San-toke-io?

RuthlessBurgher
10-24-2008, 12:21 PM

I don't care who you are...that's funny right there. :lol:

Jooser
10-24-2008, 01:23 PM
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3661283

PITTSBURGH -- Pittsburgh Steelers receiver Santonio Holmes will be charged with misdemeanor marijuana possession after a traffic stop in which police smelled burning marijuana and found marijuana-filled cigars in his car.

"He's going to be summoned," said police Sgt. R. Griffith, meaning Holmes was not arrested after the incident Thursday, but will receive notice of the charge in the mail.
and yada, yada......

Yeah, unfortunately it's true. Further still, it's his third run in with the law since we drafted him. It didn't take the Steelers long to dump Bam Morris after his marijuana eff ups. I have to wonder if Santonio has seen his last season in Pittsburgh.

RussBII
10-24-2008, 02:33 PM
It didn't take the Steelers long to dump Bam Morris after his marijuana eff ups.

They found 4 kilograms of marijuana with Bam (as per wikipedia). That's a much more serious crime. That's intent to distribute.

Chemsteel
10-24-2008, 05:17 PM
Every guy who has played a contact sport like football has a similar fear...waking up in the morning dealing with pain. I don't know of any guy who hasn't looked for some type of chemical relief. Most all teams have programs to help in this regard.

But, there is no cure for stupidity. Santonio is a great guy and a dedicated Steeler. He trains very, very hard. He is deficient in some regards.

Jooser
10-24-2008, 06:58 PM
Dan Rooney will not put up with any involvement with drugs, at least he hasn't in the past. Santokio is skating on thin ice, the fact that they deactivated him for Sunday's game is semi-proof of that.....

AngryAsian
10-25-2008, 01:46 AM
Illegal is illegal. I don't think anybody is saying this is no big deal, because it is. This isn't his first slip up and I wonder how the FO will handle things come contract time. This is the question I post to the board.... do you think Santonio's body of work with this team deserves consideration of giving him a great contract next time the line needs signing, or do you think that the FO will be willing to trade him and the legal issues he keeps getting himself into. Is he worth the big money to us or just a big headache?

buckeyehoppy
10-25-2008, 04:58 AM
My guess is that his days as a Steeler are numbered.

Whatever our individual opinions are about reefer, it is still an illegal substance for the most part. It's REALLY illegal when you are found with it behind the wheel of an automobile. It's one thing for any of us to be involved with drugs. But Holmes has to be smarter than this. What he did was really f---ing stupid based on who he is and what he does for a living.

I don't know if he was actually under the influence, but this is not a good thing for Holmes. He is already inactive for the Giants game and probably longer. And it serves him right. If it was up to me, that four game suspension for violating the drug policy would be fully enforced.

Knowing the track record for the Steelers in cases like this, he will probably not be renewed when his contract is up. The Rooneys don't deal well with reeferheads.

AngryAsian
10-25-2008, 06:27 AM
My guess is that his days as a Steeler are numbered.

Whatever our individual opinions are about reefer, it is still an illegal substance for the most part. It's REALLY illegal when you are found with it behind the wheel of an automobile. It's one thing for any of us to be involved with drugs. But Holmes has to be smarter than this. What he did was really f---ing stupid based on who he is and what he does for a living.

I don't know if he was actually under the influence, but this is not a good thing for Holmes. He is already inactive for the Giants game and probably longer. And it serves him right. If it was up to me, that four game suspension for violating the drug policy would be fully enforced.

Knowing the track record for the Steelers in cases like this, he will probably not be renewed when his contract is up. The Rooneys don't deal well with reeferheads.

I'm with you on all points brought up.

Flasteel
10-25-2008, 07:03 AM
You guys are being absolutely ridiculous. Yeah, the guy screwed up. But in all reality it is the first time he has sniffed trouble since the day he first stepped on the field for us. It's not like Holmes has been any type of locker room cancer or keeps getting in trouble with the law. If any of you think that we'd balk at re-signing him, then you need to join Sanstonio in putting down the pipe.

If that same question was posed to anyone on this board back in September you all would have laughed your asses off and called the person asking it a blithering idiot.

So has Holmes really dropped that far in your collective minds? Is it also a product of him not blowing up on the field like we all anticipated? Is it because you assume to know how the Rooney's feel about marijuana?

If he gets in some type of trouble again, then some of you may have a point, otherwise I think you are waaaaay off base here.

Sugar
10-25-2008, 10:21 AM
So far as I know, Santonio is NOT a locker room cancer. He is a very good and talented player that contributes as much as he can- when he see's the field, that is. His stupidity has cost him the ability to contribute on the field or in the locker room.

I'm not saying we don't resign him or anything. That has yet to be determined by a lot of factors. This kind of thing goes in the "file" so to speak though when contract talks start.

birtikidis
10-25-2008, 11:18 AM
ya'll make it sound like we never re-signed a player who smoked a joint before.
Marvel smith got busted in college then he got busted in 2000 while with the steelers.
santonio isn't going to get traded, lowballed or run out of town.

BigLebowski
10-25-2008, 12:05 PM
While I don't expect Holmes to be run out of town, it does show his selfishness.

AngryAsian
10-25-2008, 03:39 PM
I don't think anybody is stating that Santonio is a cancer in the locker room. I think most are disappointed. But isn't this his secondary offense with such a "green" issue and if so, isn't the track record by the FO for such infractions, not a positive one for the player. My take:

Weed is illegal and I know quite a few professionals (lawyers, architects, accountants, physicians) that recreationally use. I don't judge other individuals. I've had my time in the sun with it and after college it wasn't for me anymore. My only judgement in this particular case is the forethought that Santonio used by smoking in public and getting behind the wheel. That act in itself is not only selfish but dangerous towards the safety of others.

SteelTorch
10-25-2008, 04:06 PM
So instead of Bust-onio, we should now be calling him BustED-onio? :lol:

Ozey74
10-25-2008, 05:31 PM
I realize what he did was wrong. If he does this again, then I will be more upset. This occurance on top of what happend right after he was drafted w/his baby's mama & what happend a few years ago in Miami is disappointing.

I think if something like this happens again, he may be gone. I don't think he'll necessarly get cut on the spot, but I can see him not having another contract offered to him when the time comes.

If he does get suspended by the league for a game, I hope it's Week 17 against the Stains once we have home field advantage wrapped up.

:brownssuck

buckeyehoppy
10-25-2008, 06:39 PM
I know where you guys are coming from saying that guys like me are overreacting. Perhaps I would be in certain situations.

But this is a player in the National Football League we're talking about, not some average joe who punches a time clock, works his forty and gets paid every two weeks. This is a guy in Holmes who gets paid an insane amount of $$$ and attention for playing what amounts to be a kids game. Quite frankly, Holmes needs to be held to the high standard that all professional athletes should be held to.

The standard should be higher because the stakes are. There is a $hitload of jack coursing through the veins of the NFL in terms of corporate sponsorship, merchandising, luxury suites, PSLs, etc. Those people don't want to deal with someone who flaunts the law and gets busted with blunts.

Trust me, as a personal issue, I think the logic against marijuana is completely misguided from an ethical, legal and moral standpoint. But it isn't for me to say that the law should cut him a break because the rules are clear: possession of marijuana in certain quantities and in certain situations is not legal. And the NFL sides very much with the law in circumstances such as these.

That being the case, then Holmes needs to be set an example of because what he did in the position he is in is not appropriate behavior. Lots of people look at him as a highly trained athlete who is living a clean life. What he was caught doing compromises that perception and leaves the league and the Steelers an image problem.