PDA

View Full Version : Is Max Starks the answer?

Oviedo
10-22-2008, 02:59 PM
Put aised the emotionalism and ask yourself if Starks performs at LT over the next several games is he someone we should resign. Resigning or tagging Marvel Smith would have been the right answer for LT, but the injury bug has bitten him gain and it is unlikely he is answer.

Many have said in the past that Max is a better LT than RT so now we get to see. If he performs, I say we resign him. We are solid and deep at the interior of the OL as we have seen with Stapleton stepping in and knowing that Colon could likely play either Guard position. Going into the draft we would be able to focus on a RT which would be available later.

Personally I'm pulling for Max to step up and wouldn't it be strange that if he did that the FO's decision on him would be vindicated.

MeetJoeGreene
10-22-2008, 03:40 PM
I am becoming increasingly skeptical that Marvel IS the answer.

IF Starks continues to perform, then I would not be opposed to signing him - if he is resignable. He may want/command too much.

buckeyehoppy
10-22-2008, 04:21 PM
If Max Sucks can ONLY play LT, that's like having a DH in baseball who can't play in the field.

Drawing that parallel, the DH better be a .300 hitter who can go long at will and Max Sucks better NEVER give up a sack to Big Ben's blind side.

The parallel only proves that Max Sucks is a one-dimensional clod who's going to want too much $$$ and will tie up too much of the salary cap. This will especially be true if he chunks out and the Steelers can't move him anywhere else.

I'd rather the team let him walk and someone else put up with the headache that he is/will be. At worst, the Steelers get a 3rd Round comp pick which is, come to think of it, right around the neighborhood he was selected in in the first place.

Flasteel
10-22-2008, 04:28 PM
I've been a big supporter of Max and was real disappointed that he couldn't take the RT job from Colon this year, but I'm not sure he was ever given the chance to. I have openly wondered if he's not a better LT and these next few games will go a long way in determining that. He's got five regular season games and counting where he's played that position at a high level, so let's see how it plays out. If he can continue to shine, then yes, I say we make him the future there. I just hope if that is the case that he wants to come back here.

Oviedo
10-22-2008, 04:31 PM
If Max Sucks can ONLY play LT, that's like having a DH in baseball who can't play in the field.

Drawing that parallel, the DH better be a .300 hitter who can go long at will and Max Sucks better NEVER give up a sack to Big Ben's blind side.

The parallel only proves that Max Sucks is a one-dimensional clod who's going to want too much $$$ and will tie up too much of the salary cap. This will especially be true if he chunks out and the Steelers can't move him anywhere else.

I'd rather the team let him walk and someone else put up with the headache that he is/will be. At worst, the Steelers get a 3rd Round comp pick which is, come to think of it, right around the neighborhood he was selected in in the first place.

If his "one dimension" is being a solid LT then why is that bad? I'd take that "one dimension" in a heatbeat. So would most of the teams in the NFL.

Discipline of Steel
10-22-2008, 04:49 PM
I am pulling for FattMaxx to continue to perform well. I heard some comments from him that indicated he was good with the salary but his pride had him itching for a chance to step in, perform, and earn his money. I think he is actually hungry! (no pun intended) I think he would be willing to resign next year, perhaps to a cap friendly deal since he got the sweetheart deal this year.

Doesnt it reflect well on Coach Tomlin that all of the backups are stepping in and performing like starters, no matter what the position? (OL, DL, RB, and BMac if you want to call him a backup)

ANPSTEEL
10-22-2008, 05:17 PM
I read that the team is expecting Marvel to play this week-

have any of you heard otherwise??

buckeyehoppy
10-22-2008, 05:25 PM

If his "one dimension" is being a solid LT then why is that bad? I'd take that "one dimension" in a heatbeat. So would most of the teams in the NFL.

I am pulling for FattMaxx to continue to perform well. I heard some comments from him that indicated he was good with the salary but his pride had him itching for a chance to step in, perform, and earn his money. I think he is actually hungry! (no pun intended) I think he would be willing to resign next year, perhaps to a cap friendly deal since he got the sweetheart deal this year.

Doesnt it reflect well on Coach Tomlin that all of the backups are stepping in and performing like starters, no matter what the position? (OL, DL, RB, and BMac if you want to call him a backup)

I've said all along that Max Sucks is welcome to prove me wrong. And the more wrong, the better.

And if the Steelers do re-sign Max Sucks, it had better be club-friendly. To date, this guy has been more suspect than prospect. At $6.9M, the time to become a prospect is ASAP.

steelz09
10-22-2008, 06:17 PM
I honestly don't think Max or Marvel are the answer at Left or Right tackle.

I think that we will be drafting at least 1 tackle ... hopefully in the first round

I hope that Tony Hills and a rookie / Colon compete next year for all starting tackle positions. Granted, having 2 knew tackles may be scary but I think having Max Starks is scarier.

buckeyehoppy
10-22-2008, 06:53 PM

I think that we will be drafting at least 1 tackle ... hopefully in the first round

I hope that Tony Hills and a rookie / Colon compete next year for all starting tackle positions. Granted, having 2 knew tackles may be scary but I think having Max Starks is scarier.

jhans:

Whatever happens this season, the only responsible first pick for the Steelers in the next draft will be an OT.

I could care less if the Steelers win SBXLIII, they need help and depth on the OL. Otherwise, that $100+M that the Steelers gave BB will be blood money...his blood.

pittpete
10-22-2008, 06:57 PM
Write it down, Tony Hills will never ever start for us.
It was a waste of a pick, and so was invisible Bruce Davis.

Flasteel
10-22-2008, 07:06 PM

How is having Starks scarier than Tony Hills and Rookie X battling it out for LT and keeping Colon at RT? Or Having Tony Hills at LT and Colon/ Rookie X at RT? Do you still feel that way if Starks gets multiple starts this year and performs the way he has?

Starks is getting a bad reputation based off of his poor showing at RT in 2006 and I think there is some resentment over the contract this year and his failure to really even compete at RT. I will maintain that there was never an open competition at RT (a least a fair one) AND Starks is better suited for the left side anyway.

Time will tell, but if he continues to get reps at LT and performs well, I think he is the long-tern answer. Then we would just have to work on replacing Colon next year.

steelz09
10-22-2008, 07:11 PM
Flasteel,

I hope Starks does well, i really do....

I think both tackle positions are not good, Smith/Starks and Colon. Every time Big Ben almost gets killed it seems like its one of these three fault.

Starks is decent against big DE/LB's. He's too fat and slow against the more athletic DE's. We'll probably see this against the NYG.

I don't think Hills is a finished product by any means, I'm simply stating my opinion that I think he may be starting next year. I think he's more of a "true" LT than anyone on our team. I know one thing, he seems more athletic than our other tackles on the roster. I saw him use some decent technique in preseason as well. I just think he needs to get rid of the baby fat and pack on some more muscle. I think he has the attributes to be a good player for us.

pittpete
10-22-2008, 07:46 PM
Time will tell, but if he continues to get reps at LT and performs well, I think he is the long-tern answer. Then we would just have to work on replacing Colon next year.
ding ding ding

IMO, Hills in preseason looked like he was playing in quick sand.
Starks has done well playing at LT last year and 1 game this year.
It wasnt his fault we put a transition tag on him and he signed it.
Hes no dumby, he knows this is his time for a big payoff, do you really think he's gonna slack off?
Marvel is damaged goods, and his prime days are over.
Simmons I hope the hell is gone next year.
Hartwig has been better than average,Stapleton solid and Kemo needs to be resigned.
Colon continues to struggle and what is wrong with Trai Essex starting at RT????????
Hopefully the 3 interior lineman continue to gel.

papillon
10-22-2008, 08:10 PM
Lets take a look at the bigger picture. Ben is in his prime and getting better; the Steelers need to strike while the iron is hot. Willie Parker, Mendenhall and Moore are an excellent corps of running backs and they are youthful like Ben. Ward is aging, but still performing, Holmes will be hell on wheels, Washington is shocking a lot of people (not me) and hopefully, Sweed will start to catch the ball.

The defense is awesome and is championship caliber.

Can the Steelers afford to let both Smith and Starks walk and expect to contend for a Superbowl in the next 2-3 years? I say no and the one of the priorities for the Steelers should be to sign either Smith or Starks and draft the replacement. I'd hate to see a rookie, Tony Hills or a free agent of lesser talent than Smith protecting Ben's blind side.

I think they have to sign one of them and pay them the money to keep the position warm while they groom the replacement.

Kemo is a UFA as well; the less they have to replace the better. The Steelers are winning football games right now with this group that are probably about average. I wouldn't blow it up just to blow it up, you may be limiting the opportunity to win Superbowls.

Pappy

Flasteel
10-22-2008, 09:05 PM
Lets take a look at the bigger picture. Ben is in his prime and getting better; the Steelers need to strike while the iron is hot. Willie Parker, Mendenhall and Moore are an excellent corps of running backs and they are youthful like Ben. Ward is aging, but still performing, Holmes will be hell on wheels, Washington is shocking a lot of people (not me) and hopefully, Sweed will start to catch the ball.

Can the Steelers afford to let both Smith and Starks walk and expect to contend for a Superbowl in the next 2-3 years? I say no and the one of the priorities for the Steelers should be to sign either Smith or Starks and draft the replacement. I'd hate to see a rookie, Tony Hills or a free agent of lesser talent than Smith protecting Ben's blind side.

I think they have to sign one of them and pay them the money to keep the position warm while they groom the replacement.

Kemo is a UFA as well; the less they have to replace the better. The Steelers are winning football games right now with this group that are probably about average. I wouldn't blow it up just to blow it up, you may be limiting the opportunity to win Superbowls.

Pappy

Agreed. Well put Pap.

Oviedo
10-23-2008, 07:38 AM

jhans:

Whatever happens this season, the only responsible first pick for the Steelers in the next draft will be an OT.

I could care less if the Steelers win SBXLIII, they need help and depth on the OL. Otherwise, that $100+M that the Steelers gave BB will be blood money...his blood.

DL would also be very responsible. Particularly if Tyson jackson is stting there at #32 :wink:

Oviedo
10-23-2008, 07:43 AM

Pappy

Good points Pap. I'm more concerned with the LT position than I am with resigning Kemo. Don't get me wrong. I'd like to resign Kemo, but as we have sen we have depth in players that could play at Guard, e.g. Stapleton, Simmons, Colon, that we do not have at Tackle.

I agree that you have to resign either Smith or Starks and while Smith may be the more consistent performer he is also the bigger risk. If Starks performs the rest of this season then I think he is the guy you target.

frankthetank1
10-23-2008, 07:45 AM
if max can step up this season and play just as well or better than marvel than i think they should re-sign him for resonable money. i would love it if things played out like that. i think marvel is as good as gone, it would be great if maxipad can step up his game, but i doubt it will happen. we will see over the next few weeks

papillon
10-23-2008, 09:08 AM

Pappy

Good points Pap. I'm more concerned with the LT position than I am with resigning Kemo. Don't get me wrong. I'd like to resign Kemo, but as we have sen we have depth in players that could play at Guard, e.g. Stapleton, Simmons, Colon, that we do not have at Tackle.

I don't share your optimism about Simmons and I have nothing to base that on except that since, Stapleton has taken over the right side of the line seems to have become more consistent. Colon has never been tried at guard and while we all believe that he is built for the position we just don't know how he would perform there. I'd target Kemo and pay him well, not overpay, but, pay well, to remain a Steeler.

I agree that you have to resign either Smith or Starks and while Smith may be the more consistent performer he is also the bigger risk. If Starks performs the rest of this season then I think he is the guy you target.

The other scenario that I hope doesn't arise is overdrafting a player because of need. The Steelers will go into next year's draft with a plethora of needs and, as such, can draft the best player available at many positions and do just fine. Quarterback, running back, linebacker are really the only positions that should be off limits in rounds and two. A great player will fall to the Steelers in the first even if they're drafting at 1.32. :Beer :tt1

Pappy

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-23-2008, 09:16 AM
The Smith injury has a couple of silver linings...

#1 - It appeared Smith would return to form after surgery through the first couple games. The back problems have come back. At least it happened before his new contract with the Steelers. I don't say any way he gets a new contract from the Steelers now...Whispers! Looks like the FO was right again!

#2 - Starks got his wish now. He can play himself into a new contract here with a good performance. Most times, a LT can play RT but a RT would struggle at LT. It is not uncommon for a guy playing "out of position" at RT be better at LT because of experience. From my personal experience, it is like trying to tie your shoe with your left hand if you are a righty! If you play LT your entire life, your technique becomes an unconscious process. Your set is consistant and you are real comfortable on "the island".
Starks performance or lack there of at RT doesn't mean he can't grow into a solid LT. The silver lining to this...We will now see over the next couple of weeks who Max Starks really is. This game could actually cost or make Starks money next year. This will be one of the game films all GMs & Owners will come back to when he is looking for a contract!!!

As far as Smith's health...I heard the injury is significant enough for him to sit 1-2 more weeks. However, the Steelers would love to have Smith for the Giants. He is questionable for Sunday and didn't practice again Wednesday. I'm not so sure a 90% Smith is better than a 100% Starks. Going against a 6'5" Kiwanuka is going to be a difficult task with a sore back. Smith will struggle because Kiwanuka's reach will get into Smith's body. That puts allot of strain on the back to hold up on the pass rush. Max's reach could give Kimanuka more problems and Stark's is healthy. This is the match-up to watch if Starks starts. Is he or isn't he the man for the Steelers!!!

Oviedo
10-23-2008, 09:24 AM

#1 - It appeared Smith would return to form after surgery through the first couple games. The back problems have come back. At least it happened before his new contract with the Steelers. I don't say any way he gets a new contract from the Steelers now...Whispers! Looks like the FO was right again!

#2 - Starks got his wish now. He can play himself into a new contract here with a good performance. Most times, a LT can play RT but a RT would struggle at LT. It is not uncommon for a guy playing "out of position" at RT be better at LT because of experience. From my personal experience, it is like trying to tie your shoe with your left hand if you are a righty! If you play LT your entire life, your technique becomes an unconscious process. Your set is consistant and you are real comfortable on "the island".
Starks performance or lack there of at RT doesn't mean he can't grow into a solid LT. The silver lining to this...We will now see over the next couple of weeks who Max Starks really is. This game could actually cost or make Starks money next year. This will be one of the game films all GMs & Owners will come back to when he is looking for a contract!!!

As far as Smith's health...I heard the injury is significant enough for him to sit 1-2 more weeks. However, the Steelers would love to have Smith for the Giants. He is questionable for Sunday and didn't practice again Wednesday. I'm not so sure a 90% Smith is better than a 100% Starks. Going against a 6'5" Kiwanuka is going to be a difficult task with a sore back. Smith will struggle because Kiwanuka's reach will get into Smith's body. That puts allot of strain on the back to hold up on the pass rush. Max's reach could give Kimanuka more problems and Stark's is healthy. This is the match-up to watch if Starks starts. Is he or isn't he the man for the Steelers!!!

I agree with you 100%. This is Max Starks chance to step up. If he does, the Steelers can benefit by having a long term solution at LT.

Unfortunately we have that stupid policy that we do not talk to our own players during the season when we have the exclusive rights to talk to them. Really, really dumb from a business standpoint.

Question: Could we tag Starks again with the "franchise tag" since he has the "transition tag" this year?

papillon
10-23-2008, 09:40 AM
if max can step up this season and play just as well or better than marvel than i think they should re-sign him for resonable money. i would love it if things played out like that. i think marvel is as good as gone, it would be great if maxipad can step up his game, but i doubt it will happen. we will see over the next few weeks

The Steeles need it to happen, otherwise, next year's LT will be a rookie, Tony Hills, Trai Essex or a free agent of lesser talent than Marvel Smith. Ben would be wise to take some extra insurance if that were the case.

Pappy

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-23-2008, 09:57 AM

I agree with you 100%. This is Max Starks chance to step up. If he does, the Steelers can benefit by having a long term solution at LT.

Unfortunately we have that stupid policy that we do not talk to our own players during the season when we have the exclusive rights to talk to them. Really, really dumb from a business standpoint.

Question: Could we tag Starks again with the "franchise tag" since he has the "transition tag" this year?

I think they can. One reason Starks didn't get a long term offer is because of the Transition Tag. I believe the Steelers would not have been able to use the T tag again until after Stark's new contract would have expired. If they want they could tag McFadden next year for the year and it will be this all over again.

Discipline of Steel
10-23-2008, 11:53 AM
Definately keep Kemo, he is near the beginning of his career and could become a long term solution at LG. Plus, he can prob be signed for a decent but not exhorbitant cost. Smith, prob not, based on age and his back. Starks, I agree, wait and see! I like the idea of tagging McFadden as well, if we cant sign him. Its a good thing we are getting this all sorted out now before the end of the season comes and our options become more limited.

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-23-2008, 12:18 PM
Question 1...Is Smith's back still an issue? Answered

Question 2...Can Starks play LT at a high level for the Steelers? Should be answered in the next couple of weeks.

RuthlessBurgher
10-23-2008, 12:29 PM
From my personal experience, it is like trying to tie your shoe with your left hand if you are a righty!

Hey, I want to see you tie your shoes with your left hand or your right hand. Personally, I have to use both hands to tie my shoes. :D

buckeyehoppy
10-23-2008, 11:57 PM

jhans:

DL would also be very responsible. Particularly if Tyson jackson is stting there at #32 :wink:

OV, you do make a good point and I have said that after their first rounder, the Steelers will need to select pass rush. Depending on where the Steelers draft, perhaps you go the other way and go DL-1st round and OL-2nd.

But signing Kemo, at this point, is a no-brainer. The FO nearly has to do it based on his performance. At that point, what kind of $$$ will be left for Max Sucks, Marvel, BMac?

This is the chance of a lifetime for Max Sucks to prove buckeyehoppy, among others in the Steeler Universe, wrong and become Max Starks again. FWIW, he has a decent blood line. He played at UF, so he's coming from the SEC which should mean something, even if it is a whole new ballgame once you get to the NFL.

Flasteel
10-24-2008, 07:41 AM

jhans:

OV, you do make a good point and I have said that after their first rounder, the Steelers will need to select pass rush. Depending on where the Steelers draft, perhaps you go the other way and go DL-1st round and OL-2nd.

But signing Kemo, at this point, is a no-brainer. The FO nearly has to do it based on his performance. At that point, what kind of $$$ will be left for Max Sucks, Marvel, BMac?

This is the chance of a lifetime for Max Sucks to prove buckeyehoppy, among others in the Steeler Universe, wrong and become Max Starks again. FWIW, he has a decent blood line. He played at UF, so he's coming from the SEC which should mean something, even if it is a whole new ballgame once you get to the NFL.

You oughta know something about that brother! :lol: :P

Flasteel
10-24-2008, 07:42 AM
From my personal experience, it is like trying to tie your shoe with your left hand if you are a righty!

Hey, I want to see you tie your shoes with your left hand or your right hand. Personally, I have to use both hands to tie my shoes. :D

HAAAA! I thought the same thing when I read it! :lol:

JUST-PLAIN-NASTY
10-24-2008, 09:40 AM

:lol: :lol: :lol:
I think you know what I mean...I hope!

You know...Instead of making the loop with the right you make it with the left!!!