View Full Version : Eli vs. B. Ben

anger 82&95
10-22-2008, 01:42 PM
NONSENSE!!! (my two cents worth)

http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8706272?MSNHPHMA

RussBII
10-22-2008, 03:28 PM
The only points that he makes that I'll even acknowledge are:

That Eli is injured less, and that he has been sacked less.

I think that's mostly a function of his O-line though. Sure Ben holds the ball a little too long a times, but he also has to face an unblocked rusher on just about every third down.

In no way would I want Eli over Ben. Ben would do fine in NY, Eli would already be dead if he played for Pittsburgh...

Also, the "ultimate" measuring stick? 1-0 against Tom Brady in the playoffs? Last I checked, the QBs are never on the field at the same time... so basically, that's crap.

Jigawatts
10-22-2008, 03:31 PM
Eli is a notch above Ben in 2004 because his last name is Manning.

Anything else they say is b.s. :Blah

buckeyehoppy
10-22-2008, 06:45 PM
Nice article...too bad Eli Manning's PR agent wrote it.

This article has all the credibility of a Clowns SB appearance.

BB has superior stats to Manning behind an inferior OL and has much better value since he wasn't a #1 overall. He even has scoreboard on the guy and will have it again on Sunday.

stlrz d
10-22-2008, 07:10 PM
"You can't go wrong with either one of them," said former Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi. "But I have absolutely no regard for statistics when it comes to evaluating quarterbacks. I only care about wins, whether a guy can get you into the end zone and whether he can make the play on third and long.

More touchdown passes (93 to 85); fewer interceptions (57 to 68); a higher completion percentage (63.2 to 55.4); a superior quarterback rating (93.0 to 74.9); and a better regular-season record (44-17 to 35-26).

"I had Eli rated a smidgeon higher than Roethlisberger in the draft, and I'd still rank them the same way."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:

steelz09
10-22-2008, 07:16 PM
Of course the GM of the NYG is going to saw that... what else would he say?

As far as the writer goes, he's just a moron.

proudpittsburgher
10-22-2008, 07:24 PM
"You can't go wrong with either one of them," said former Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi. "But I have absolutely no regard for statistics when it comes to evaluating quarterbacks. I only care about wins, whether a guy can get you into the end zone and whether he can make the play on third and long.

More touchdown passes (93 to 85); fewer interceptions (57 to 68); a higher completion percentage (63.2 to 55.4); a superior quarterback rating (93.0 to 74.9); and a better regular-season record (44-17 to 35-26).

That's the first thing I noticed. He rattles off everything that, you would think, would give Ben the edge (by a lot), then proceeds to say Eli's better anyway. That's akin to saying, ok, we've played 25 games, and you won every time, but I'm better. :x There is just no one right now who could say that up to this point, Eli has been the better of the two quarterbacks. You just can't.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-22-2008, 07:35 PM
This is reporting? The retired GM who staked his career on Eli Manning boldly goes out on a limb and says something like "Well, Ben has better numbers, but I still like Eli better"?

Jeesh. I hope nobody actually paid for that bit of "reporting" :lol: :lol:

stlrz d
10-22-2008, 08:21 PM
The last I looked at the poll, the vote was 71% in Ben's favor with over 23k votes cast.

Jooser
10-22-2008, 11:39 PM
The guy's a moron. Eli wouldn't have won that Super Bowl last year if not for the catch on the helmet that was basically thrown up to fate. That's the bottom line. Ben is superior in every category and won his SB sooner.

http://img232.imageshack.us/img232/1229/05roethlisbergerben02dd5.jpg (http://imageshack.us)

Scarletfire1970
10-23-2008, 07:54 AM
I am now sorry I rooted for the Giants in that SB.

Never mind, watching the Patriots go 18-1 and ruining their perfect season was well worth all this Eli is god crap talk. :Cheers

rpmpit
10-23-2008, 08:02 AM
[quote]"You can't go wrong with either one of them," said former Giants general manager Ernie Accorsi. "But I have absolutely no regard for statistics when it comes to evaluating quarterbacks. I only care about wins, whether a guy can get you into the end zone and whether he can make the play on third and long.

"I had Eli rated a smidgeon higher than Roethlisberger in the draft, and I'd still rank them the same way."

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:[/quote:3t6hmv3b]

That says it all right there.

frankthetank1
10-23-2008, 08:04 AM
i hate the comparison everyone makes. if eli's last name isnt manning no one would compare the two. even if i wasnt biased there is no way i would think eli is in ben's league. there stats alone show that ben is by far the better qb.

proudpittsburgher
10-23-2008, 09:42 AM
i hate the comparison everyone makes. if eli's last name isnt manning no one would compare the two. even if i wasnt biased there is no way i would think eli is in ben's league. there stats alone show that ben is by far the better qb.

The odd part is they don't mention Rivers at all in the mention of the QBs from that draft.Outside of the fact he's the only one without a ring between the three, one could argue that Rivers may be better than Eli at this point.

rpmpit
10-23-2008, 09:46 AM

The odd part is they don't mention Rivers at all in the mention of the QBs from that draft.Outside of the fact he's the only one without a ring between the three, one could argue that Rivers may be better than Eli at this point.

And that's the whole reason Eli IS mentioned with Ben - the ring. Aside from them being from the same class and both having rings, that's where the comparison stops.

proudpittsburgher
10-23-2008, 10:51 AM

And that's the whole reason Eli IS mentioned with Ben - the ring. Aside from them being from the same class and both having rings, that's where the comparison stops.

Agreed. I know it was an apples to oranges comparison with Rivers because of the rings, but it just further illustrates how crazy this comparison is, that you could easily argue Rivers is better than Eli.
The madening thing is how he went about his assessments.

Look, you could do the whole Ben/Peyton Manning debate, and even though Peyton's stats are grounds for calling him better than Ben, you could always argue that Ben holds those intangibles (leadership, better teammate, can always count on Ben for that pressure drive) that make him the pick over Peyton. With Eli, you can't even give him the nod in intangibles. Steelers fan aside, I just shake my head on this one.

The one I really get mad about is how the writer takes away from Ben with his super bowl performance, but he totally disses the amazing three games that got the Steelers into that Super Bowl. Manning was good, but I'll take Ben's playoff run, as a whole, over Eli's performance during the four playoff games he won that year. Bad super bowl and all, his playoff run that year was still better than Eli's.

MeetJoeGreene
10-23-2008, 11:18 AM
Eli in the same league as Ben?
It is such a silly thought, that the only thing I can respond with is something equally as silly.

Anagrams for Eli Manning:

Align In Men
Nailing Men
Meaning Nil
Lineman Gin
A Men Lining
Laming Nine
Malign Nine

ikestops85
10-23-2008, 01:19 PM
Eli vs. Ben?? There is no comparison. Eli is a middle of the pack QB in the NFL. Eli is a distant 3rd to the Big 3 QBs from that draft. Eli's SB game was almost as bad as Ben's. Him getting the MVP was a joke. It should have gone to someone on defense. They deserved it much more.

You could certainly have a better argument with Rivers vs. Ben. At least Rivers is a good QB although I hate his arrogance.