PDA

View Full Version : Rumblings in Dallas calling for Cowher to take over

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-22-2008, 11:17 AM
Sports radio down here says he's needed to knock some heads together. The fans are preceptive enough to see that marquee lights off the field don't translate into gritty performances during games - "why can't we be like the Steelers, look how they handle injury and adversity".

My personal opinion is that Chuck Noll could be the Cowboy's coach, but as long as the owner is named Jones and not Rooney that team is going nowhere.

Kind of a nice to hear the Cryboys wistful about not being the Steelers, though!

MeetJoeGreene
10-22-2008, 11:32 AM
I have heard talk radio say that he will go to Cleveland as well.

Man I hope not

SteelerOfDeVille
10-22-2008, 12:13 PM

Man I hope not
I could see Cleveland or Carolina... only 2 teams I could see him taking a job.

Carolina because it's close to "home".
Cleveland because he played there. I don't think it would taint his Steelers legacy at all. "Legends" keep the respect of the fans. He'd have to do some homework and study Rick Pitino leaving Kentucky and later taking a job at Louisville. In his first game back to Rupp Arena, he got a nice applause from the crowd.

MeetJoeGreene
10-22-2008, 12:21 PM

Man I hope not

Cleveland because he played there. I don't think it would taint his Steelers legacy at all. "Legends" keep the respect of the fans. He'd have to do some homework and study Rick Pitino leaving Kentucky and later taking a job at Louisville. In his first game back to Rupp Arena, he got a nice applause from the crowd.

Yeah. But I hope not for a much more practical reason -- then Cleveland might actually be good!!!!

LasVegasGuy
10-22-2008, 12:56 PM
Once again he will not go to a team in the AFC North. Unless he feels the need to school Tomlin twice a year. I see him ending up in either Kansas City once Herm Edwards gets the boot or in Carolina. No way he considers the jobs in Cleveland or Cincy I.M.O.

Oviedo
10-22-2008, 02:05 PM
Once again he will not go to a team in the AFC North. Unless he feels the need to school Tomlin twice a year. I see him ending up in either Kansas City once Herm Edwards gets the boot or in Carolina. No way he considers the jobs in Cleveland or Cincy I.M.O.

If he would accept a job in either Cleveland or Cinci it would be a direct slap in the face to the entire Steeler Nation and just another indicator of his arrogance wanting to beat the team he for so long proclaimed to be a lifelong fan of. Bill Cowher has become only a lifelong fan of Bill Cowher. That was clear his last couple of years here. No way he goes to the Bumgals because that is a major multi-year rebuild and it would ruin his HoF resume by piling up a couple of years of losses. If he goes to Cleveland, I welcome the opportunity for Tomlin to beat his a$$ twice a year.

Reference going to Dallas I doubt he could coexist with Jones any longer than Parcells did. Jones is enamored with celebrity athletes and Cowher does not have the interpersonal skills or inclination to deal with those types. It might be good for a couple of years, but it would be a slow burning fuse.

Other real possibilities for Cowher:

1. Philadelphia--played there too. Close to daughters at Princeton.
2. Carolina--only if they have a second half collapse
3. Chicago--Lovie has been an underachiever. He needs to go.
4. NY Jets--Mangini has proven to be a better coordinator than head coach. Close to Princeton.

Steeler Mafia
10-22-2008, 04:39 PM

Man I hope not

Just a shame that the nice applause Pitino received in his first visit back to Rupp Arena was drowned out by all the Boos from the Kentucky Faithfull. Much like the Steeler fans know their football, Kentucky fans know thier basketball and aren't afraid to show what does and does not please them. LOL :2c

Lucky for me, although I live in Louisville, I am not a fan of either university team, UK or U of L. However, I do pull for Kentucky in football becasue they have sucked for so long and deserve a break.

buckeyehoppy
10-22-2008, 06:14 PM
There are only two options for Cowher:

1) He'll stay at NFL Today. Or...

2) He'll sign with a team that has promise to win immediately and will pay the king's ransom for his services.

Dallas is probably one of the few teams that would be willing and falls into the "promise to win" category, even if they never do.

My bet is on the broadcast booth.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-22-2008, 07:45 PM
There are only two options for Cowher:

1) He'll stay at NFL Today. Or...

2) He'll sign with a team that has promise to win immediately and will pay the king's ransom for his services.

Dallas is probably one of the few teams that would be willing and falls into the "promise to win" category, even if they never do.

My bet is on the broadcast booth.

:Agree

I think if Cowher is concerned about his legacy at all, he'll stay where he is, behind a desk on Sundays. Also, face it, the life of an NFL coach has got to kind of suck, in terms of burn out and all.

If however he's going after big bucks, and doesn't care too much about his legacy, he may very well be coaching against us, either from Dallas, or twice a year in Cleveland or Cincinatti.

Parcells went to another team in the same division twice (Jets - Patriots; Gints - Cowboys), as far as I can tell he's not hated in the city that he left each time.

Wonder how people would think about Cowher if he went to the AFC North? If you believe the trib board, he didn't exactly have the 'burgh in his pocket even after Superbowl XL.

Iron Shiek
10-22-2008, 09:35 PM

If he would accept a job in either Cleveland or Cinci it would be a direct slap in the face to the entire Steeler Nation and just another indicator of his arrogance wanting to beat the team he for so long proclaimed to be a lifelong fan of. Bill Cowher has become only a lifelong fan of Bill Cowher. That was clear his last couple of years here. No way he goes to the Bumgals because that is a major multi-year rebuild and it would ruin his HoF resume by piling up a couple of years of losses. If he goes to Cleveland, I welcome the opportunity for Tomlin to beat his a$$ twice a year.

Reference going to Dallas I doubt he could coexist with Jones any longer than Parcells did. Jones is enamored with celebrity athletes and Cowher does not have the interpersonal skills or inclination to deal with those types. It might be good for a couple of years, but it would be a slow burning fuse.

Other real possibilities for Cowher:

1. Philadelphia--played there too. Close to daughters at Princeton.
2. Carolina--only if they have a second half collapse
3. Chicago--Lovie has been an underachiever. He needs to go.
4. NY Jets--Mangini has proven to be a better coordinator than head coach. Close to Princeton.

That's a good list Oviedo, I don't disagree with any of them. Those teams have similar philosophy (i.e. "trying" to play good d and run the ball). Reid is a bafoon who can't coach once his team passes the 40 yard line...how is he still coaching. Bears would be a nice spot for him...very similar hard nosed division like the AFC North. I'd like to see him go there actually.

stlrz d
10-22-2008, 09:49 PM
Cowher has been out coached before...no reason to believe Tomlin can't do it too.

That being said, I've heard reports quoting Cowher saying the following (paraphrasing of course), "I like this TV stuff. I show up on Saturday, I'm there all day Sunday and I'm home on Monday in time to take my daughter to school."

If he goes back to coaching it will be once the youngest is in college, imo.

Iron Shiek
10-22-2008, 09:58 PM
Cowher has been out coached before...no reason to believe Tomlin can't do it too.

That being said, I've heard reports quoting Cowher saying the following (paraphrasing of course), "I like this TV stuff. I show up on Saturday, I'm there all day Sunday and I'm home on Monday in time to take my daughter to school."

I heard probably the very interview you are referring to...or else he says it alot. He was on Sirius NFL Radio one morning and he echoed that exactly. He had no interest whatsoever into coming back to coaching for the next couple years anyway. Really liking the TV gig...

ramblinjim
10-24-2008, 11:22 PM
[quote="stlrz d":1i139u4x]Cowher has been out coached before...no reason to believe Tomlin can't do it too.

I heard probably the very interview you are referring to...or else he says it alot. He was on Sirius NFL Radio one morning and he echoed that exactly. He had no interest whatsoever into coming back to coaching for the next couple years anyway. Really liking the TV gig...[/quote:1i139u4x]

:Agree Sheik, and I don't think Cowher would come back and work for Jerry Jones, I think if he comes back, he's going to want total control of the team as far as personnel goes.