PDA

View Full Version : The NFL Gets MORE Ridiculous: 25K fine for Cardinal's Wilson

BigBen2112
10-10-2008, 04:40 PM
The NFL is really taking itself down a road that personally I am getting more than fed up with. (yeah talk about beating a dead horse). This is why I think I will follow the NFL much less closely than I used to. This is a game for sissies, wimps, crybabies, actors, and prima-donnas.

Adrian Wilson was fined for his hit on Trent Edwards last week that put Edwards out of the game with a concussion (sad that Edwards was hurt, but hardly a TWENTY-FIVE K worthy fine).

Cardinals' Wilson fined for hit that knocked out Bills' Edwards

By Mike Sando
ESPN.com
(Archive)
Updated: October 10, 2008, 1:59 PM ET

The NFL has levied a $25,000 fine against Arizona Cardinals safety Adrian Wilson for the hit that left Buffalo Bills quarterback Trent Edwards with a concussion in Week 5.

According to the league, the hit on Edwards violated the rule stating that "a defensive player must not unnecessarily or violently throw him down and land on top of him with all or most of the defender's weight." The rule compels defensive players to "strive to wrap up or cradle the passer with the defensive player's arms."
A penalty was not called on the play.
Wilson, 28, drew more personal-foul penalties from 2001 through last season -- 17 -- than any player in the league.
In a letter to Wilson, the league put the hard-hitting safety on notice that future violations could lead to stiffer penalties.
The Cardinals defeated the Bills, 41-17, after Wilson's first-quarter hit prevented Edwards from returning. The Bills have a bye in Week 6. Edwards' status for Week 7 remains undetermined.
Mike Sando covers the NFL for ESPN.com.

http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3636461

Note the BOLDED part of the above article.

Now go and watch the movie:
http://video.google.com/videosearch?client=safari&rls=en-us&q=Adrian%20Wilson%20hit%20on%20Trent%20Edwards&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8&um=1&sa=N&tab=wv#

HE DOES WRAP HIM UP! And then if you watch closely as he goes to the ground (watch his arms) HE EASES UP!!!!!

What the f*ck is up with the NFL?!

Im sorry the precious QB got hurt, but seriously...he didnt hit him with his helmet and he didnt drive him into the ground with everything he had...and he didnt hit him late...what the HELL did he do wrong? If the QB had not been hurt do we even see this fine? For a UNPENALIZED "infraction." WHAT A LOAD OF SH*T!

costanza2k1
10-10-2008, 04:52 PM
Man with all of these fines, they may force a lot of players to be less aggressive. See Nick Eason when he backed off on a hit to Big Ben when he was with the Browns.

BigBen2112
10-10-2008, 04:54 PM
Man with all of these fines, they may force a lot of players to be less aggressive. See Nick Eason when he backed off on a hit to Big Ben when he was with the Browns.

It ruins the game.

Lets think about the play this way for a second: if he was a millisecond earlier he hits edwards when he still has the ball (like Harrison last week). That hit could cause a fumble...or horrible duck of a pass that is intercepted...either way the game could change on that play (look at the Woodley fumble return for a TD in our game against the Ravens). That type of stuff can change the game. Asking D player who have learned their whole lives to make sure they are getting the guy to the ground and making the play to all of a sudden not do their job is RIDICULOUS!

SteelTorch
10-10-2008, 05:04 PM
In the words of Marvin Lewis, "I guess you have to cuddle him to the ground." :roll:

Get ready, cause that may very well be the rule the way this league is going. I hate Goodell.

stlrz d
10-10-2008, 07:34 PM
Apparently the economy is bad for the NFL too so they've resorted to fining every player they can as a source of income.