PDA

View Full Version : Would the Steel want LJ and if so, at what price?

Hardliner
10-10-2008, 04:32 PM
I've heard all these online and sportstalk rumors swirling about in KC about there having been contact between the Steel and KC on the availability of Larry Johnson in a trade. I don't put any stock in rumors nor do I report them because they're mostly nothing more than BS, thus my holding off on posting anything on this board about same.

However, another thought crossed my mind. Set aside the notion that these talks ever happened, and I don't believe they HAVE, but on the remote chance there is something here, what would be a win-win deal for both teams if, and it's a huge IF, true?

Let me first of all get you up to speed with the recalcitrant, pouting and moody one wearing #27 for the Chiefs thus far in 2008. Actually, he's done better than I had thought he'd do, having averaged over 100 yds rushing his first 4 games before tanking it with a marvelous output of TWO against Carolina.

If he's properly motivated, LJ is still a beast but getting him to that point is always a study in inconsistency and plumbing the depths of the unknown. It's not a stretch to state that he wants out of KC, has never liked the city or most anyone else besides himself. I don't think that's out of line.

What better chance to redeem himself, then, than back in his old State College stomping grounds? And, what better team than the Steelers with a definite need for his services? Sounds too good to be true? Yeah, it does. HOWEVER, what do you see as a fair trade value for him?

I'm thinking an early round draft pick , but won't influence your comments. Rave on, old wise ones.

RuthlessBurgher
10-10-2008, 04:36 PM
We can get by this year with Parker (due back after the bye this weekend), the emerging Mewelde Moore, and young Gary Russell, with Najeh Davenport as an emergency fall-back option. With 1st round Rashard Mendenhall (currently on I.R.) to return next season, there is not a need to trade away a premium pick on another RB (all of our premium picks next year should go to re-stocking in the trenches along both lines).

Discipline of Steel
10-10-2008, 04:38 PM
No malcontents. Ill stick with Mewelde "I want to do" Moore as FWP backup.

Ozey74
10-10-2008, 04:40 PM
He would be nice to have for this year & I would give up a 3rd rounder for him. I'm looking forward to seeing us move forward with Mendenhall/Parker next year.

:2c

BigBen2112
10-10-2008, 04:45 PM
I dont think I'd want to do this deal, but a 3rd round pick at most in my mind.

steelblood
10-10-2008, 04:46 PM
No Thanks, we have enough invested in our backfield already. We need linemen.

BigBen2112
10-10-2008, 04:52 PM
I'll give you Bruce Davis and our 3rd round pick next year for Branden Albert. :lol:

Sugar
10-10-2008, 06:09 PM
No thanks- we have all kinds of good backs. Unless we could get a sweetheart deal or Willie came down with a more serious injury. Even then, Moore and Russell seem able to get the job done.

Shawn
10-10-2008, 07:39 PM
No...and zero.

First he is not of a Steeler mindset. We let the Plexilikes go out with the morning garbage. We have no room for his large ego.

Second...our backfield is flat out stacked even with Mendenhall out for the season. Moore has emerged as our legit #2 and Russell has played well also.

Jom112
10-10-2008, 07:42 PM
Aside from the pick or picks that you would have to give up to acquire LJ, his salary is pretty hefty as well. Don't think it would be a good move for you guys...

SteelerOfDeVille
10-22-2008, 12:09 PM
No...and zero.

First he is not of a Steeler mindset. We let the Plexilikes go out with the morning garbage. We have no room for his large ego.

Second...our backfield is flat out stacked even with Mendenhall out for the season. Moore has emerged as our legit #2 and Russell has played well also.
Agreed.

I don't really see a reason they would even have interest.
1. He makes too much
2. Mendenhall was a 1st rounder, Parker is fine and Moore is fine as his backup.
3. The backfield is crowded as it is.
4. Let's say a trade went down. Best I would give them is Parker for LJ staight up. And even if you traded Parker for LJ, you'd still have to get Mendenhall on the field.

I've gotta admit, LJ would intrigue me. I'd probably do LJ for Mendenhall and keep Parker as LJ's backup/change of pace. If the Chiefs would take it, I'd do that in a heartbeat - even with the attitude.

Iron Shiek
10-22-2008, 09:46 PM
No...and zero.

Agreed.

I don't really see a reason they would even have interest.
1. He makes too much
2. Mendenhall was a 1st rounder, Parker is fine and Moore is fine as his backup.
3. The backfield is crowded as it is.
4. Let's say a trade went down. Best I would give them is Parker for LJ staight up. And even if you traded Parker for LJ, you'd still have to get Mendenhall on the field.

I've gotta admit, LJ would intrigue me. I'd probably do LJ for Mendenhall and keep Parker as LJ's backup/change of pace. If the Chiefs would take it, I'd do that in a heartbeat - even with the attitude.

My post from last week isn't here any more, but basically I said I had been watching LJ (for fantasy purposes) for a few weeks now and I would not see any way to want that guy on my team. Maybe a couple years ago. Its obvious he's lost a step when multiple times in the last 4 or 5 weeks he's been caught from behind on long runs by LB's and safeties. I wouldn't want to give Parker up for him....maybe Hardliner can back me up on some of these observations.