PDA

View Full Version : Hines Ward fined for hit in Ravens game

RussBII
10-09-2008, 12:55 PM
http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/09/hines-ward-fined-5000-for-unnecessary-roughness/

HINES WARD FINED $5,000 FOR UNNECESSARY ROUGHNESS
Posted by Michael David Smith on October 9, 2008, 12:40 p.m. EDT

Steelers wide receiver Hines Ward has been fined $5,000 for unnecessary roughness during Pittsburgh’s September 29 game against the Ravens.

Ward says he thinks he knows which hit drew the fine, but that he’s baffled that he’s getting fined even though he was not penalized on the play.

“That’s what’s so crazy about it,” Ward said. “How do you not get penalized but you get a fine? It was on [Ravens cornerback] Corey Ivy, I think. I don’t know. All I saw was the letter, $5,000 for unnecessary roughness.”

Ward is known as one of the toughest blockers in the league among wide receivers, and one unnamed coach said during the off-season that Ward is the dirtiest player in the NFL. But Ward’s point in this case is basically, If the officials didn’t throw a flag, what could he have done wrong?

Of course, players get fined all the time for plays on which they weren’t penalized. And Ward seems to know that, because he says he’s probably not going to bother with an appeal.

Whats next? Mandatory shotgun snaps, so the QB doesn't bruise the center's taint?

<sigh>

Iron Shiek
10-09-2008, 12:58 PM
Haha...beat you by two minutes Russ! J/k.

I have had it with this bull crap the NFL is running. How come the Steelers can get fined constantly...but lard a$$ Rogers gets off easy?

RussBII
10-09-2008, 01:00 PM

I have had it with this bull crap the NFL is running. How come the Steelers can get fined constantly...but lard a$$ Rogers gets off easy?

That is what I get for the fancy formatting and making sure "taint" was spelled correctly.

Seriously, that Rogers hit is what has me up in arms still....

SteelTorch
10-09-2008, 01:30 PM

That is what I get for the fancy formatting and making sure "taint" was spelled correctly.

Seriously, that Rogers hit is what has me up in arms still....
This is so bogus. This makes what, fine #4? I swear, these days everything Goodell does is pi$$ing me off.

If I were the Steelers, I'd tell Goodell that we refuse to pay any fine until Rogers gets punished for his blatant cheap shot on Ben. If you're going to hand out fines like candy, at least do it fairly. :x