PDA

View Full Version : Woodley Article

anger 82&95
10-09-2008, 09:46 AM
http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8654 ... ng-players (http://msn.foxsports.com/nfl/story/8654364/Woodley-leads-NFL's-list-of-emerging-players)

AngryAsian
10-09-2008, 09:56 AM
I don't agree with the articles assessment of Timmons. I don't think "disappointing" would be the word I use. I think that Timmons has and still is playing out of position. He'd be perfect as a OLB in a 4-3, but he's too undersized to play DE 4-3 or OLB in a 3-4. He's made some lights out plays thus far in the season, and his athleticism is sick. As his maturation in our "bad word" Lebeau schemes evolve, so will the frequency of his presence and his big play ability.

As for Woodley... we really have something special in this player.

anger 82&95
10-09-2008, 10:01 AM
I don't agree with the articles assessment of Timmons. I don't think "disappointing" would be the word I use. I think that Timmons has and still is playing out of position. He'd be perfect as a OLB in a 4-3, but he's too undersized to play DE 4-3 or OLB in a 3-4. He's made some lights out plays thus far in the season, and his athleticism is sick. As his maturation in our "bad word" Lebeau schemes evolve, so will the frequency of his presence and his big play ability.

As for Woodley... we really have something special in this player. I agree, I think that the jury is still out on Timmons, and in the future he will be a solid contributor to the team.

Oviedo
10-09-2008, 10:49 AM

Totally off base on Timmons. He is a different type of player than Woodley and was drafted for a completely different skill set. Woodley is the pass rush LB and Timmons is the pass coverage LB. If anyone would just listen Tomlin said that loud and clear with his comparison of Timmons to Derrick Brooks.

Woodley also had a bum in front of him so jumping into the starting line up was easier. Foote is a competent and knowledgeable LB so it is natural that they would bring in Timmons at a more reasoned pace.

AngryAsian
10-09-2008, 10:59 AM

Totally off base on Timmons. He is a different type of player than Woodley and was drafted for a completely different skill set. Woodley is the pass rush LB and Timmons is the pass coverage LB. If anyone would just listen Tomlin said that loud and clear with his comparison of Timmons to Derrick Brooks.

Woodley also had a bum in front of him so jumping into the starting line up was easier. Foote is a competent and knowledgeable LB so it is natural that they would bring in Timmons at a more reasoned pace.

I don't think I'm off base with my assessment. We both are in agreement of why Timmons is in the position he's in. He was drafted for his athleticism. We needed a presence in the interior, especially in the AFC where we see TEs like Heap, Winslow, Gates, Gonzalez, Clarke... What I inferred about Timmons' maturation into our system is the recognition in the change of his new responsibilities using his old assets. We know why he was drafted... I think its been hard on him not only adjusting to the NFL, a new position, a new formation... but also a whole new set of responsibilities. In college he was 4-3 DE and undersized at that. His mental focus was crush the opposing QB... now he's elevated to the NFL where the schemes are more intricate, the players are bigger and faster, but now he has to change the paradigm of his football knowledge and responsibilities. He has to read coverages and mark men that are under his assignment in both run and pass packages. Pretty hard to swallow in just one year.

Oviedo
10-09-2008, 11:04 AM

I don't think I'm off base with my assessment. We both are in agreement of why Timmons is in the position he's in. He was drafted for his athleticism. We needed a presence in the interior, especially in the AFC where we see TEs like Heap, Winslow, Gates, Gonzalez, Clarke... What I inferred about Timmons' maturation into our system is the recognition in the change of his new responsibilities using his old assets. We know why he was drafted... I think its been hard on him not only adjusting to the NFL, a new position, a new formation... but also a whole new set of responsibilities. In college he was 4-3 DE and undersized at that. His mental focus was crush the opposing QB... now he's elevated to the NFL where the schemes are more intricate, the players are bigger and faster, but now he has to change the paradigm of his football knowledge and responsibilities. He has to read coverages and mark men that are under his assignment in both run and pass packages. Pretty hard to swallow in just one year.

Timmons was a pure LB in college, similar to Posluszny at PSU--just better. In the FSU defense he usually keyed on a star RB or TE depending on the team they played. He was not a primary pass rusher.

phillyesq
10-09-2008, 12:32 PM
I don't think that it is unfair to characterize Timmons as disappointment at this point in his career.

He was drafted very highly at a position where players routinely make an impact in their first two years. He has not yet made that impact. He still has great athleticism and physical attributes, but weren't we hoping that the 16th pick in the 2007 draft would at least be starting by now?

papillon
10-09-2008, 01:50 PM
I don't think that it is unfair to characterize Timmons as disappointment at this point in his career.

He was drafted very highly at a position where players routinely make an impact in their first two years. He has not yet made that impact. He still has great athleticism and physical attributes, but weren't we hoping that the 16th pick in the 2007 draft would at least be starting by now?

It would be nice if he was starting, but, it's not like he's sitting behind chopped live and has no skills. I personally believe the Steelers are going tobenefit in the long run with him getting spot duty for now. If he gets stronger and doesn't lose any speed it will be a wild ride for opposing offenses with Woodley, Timmons and Harrison.

If the Steelers woefully inadequate at LB and he was sitting then I would be a bit more disturbed. As it is now, he's sitting behind some pretty good LBs, getting spot duty and making a difference on occasion when he's on the field ans most importantly he's continuing to learn without having to be a star.

It's all good for now as far as I can see.

Pappy

SteelTorch
10-09-2008, 02:04 PM
Although he's not a bust IMO, considering he was a first-rounder, I would have liked to have seen more of Timmons. However, it's great seeing Woodley make such an impact already.

I only wish we had let Haggans go to the Arizona Steelers sooner. :tt2

GreggyDigital
10-09-2008, 06:18 PM
Although he's not a bust IMO, considering he was a first-rounder, I would have liked to have seen more of Timmons. However, it's great seeing Woodley make such an impact already.

I only wish we had let Haggans go to the Arizona Steelers sooner. :tt2

As long as we don't see more of that goal line play like against Baltimore. Timmons was on the wrong end of a Bettis/Urlacher highlight reel.

I really think Timmons will get his time to shine when either Farrior or Foote relinquishes the starting role but until then, I don't exactly cringe when he's in on passing downs.

Some players, like Joey Porter, take a little time to groom into a real playmaker. Timmons is all of what, 23 years old?