PDA

View Full Version : Bye Week Boredom--Thinking about the draft

Oviedo
10-09-2008, 08:18 AM
I hate Bye Week's more than Preseason. Just for fun. Knowing what we see with the team right now. Project how you would pick Rounds 1-7 by position only. It's too early to project specific players.

Round 1: NT or DE. We need to eventually get serious about getting younger on DL.
Round 2: OT. Need the future LT or RT now. Colon isn't it at RT.
Round 3: CB. Unlikely McFadden stays and Townsend can't play forever.
Round 4: C. Hartwig there to 2010. Stapleton "may" be good. Need youth here.
Round 5: NT or DE depending on Round 1. Still need depth on DL
Round 6: S or WR(KR). It would be nice to have a legit return game. Nate W. may be gone.
Round 7: OL. Depth on the OL is a good problem

I'm not sure how the Comp picks and trades have added to mix but we could get a real solid draft out of this.

Possible Free Agent targets: WR/Returner if Nate W leaves. Back Up OT or DL. Don't really see us signing a CB or other skill position player. The prices have just gotten to be too inflated.

frankthetank1
10-09-2008, 08:23 AM
I hate Bye Week's more than Preseason. Just for fun. Knowing what we see with the team right now. Project how you would pick Rounds 1-7 by position only. It's too early to project specific players.

Round 1: NT or DE. We need to eventually get serious about getting younger on DL.
Round 6: S or WR(KR). It would be nice to have a legit return game. Nate W. may be gone.

I'm not sure how the Comp picks and trades have added to mix but we could get a real solid draft out of this.

Possible Free Agent targets: WR/Returner if Nate W leaves. Back Up OT or DL. Don't really see us signing a CB or other skill position player. The prices have just gotten to be too inflated.

that seems about right. i would be very happy with that draft. i havent watched enough college football this year to know certain players that i want. i would think next years draft class o-linemen would be kinda weak, but im just saying that because last years class was amazing. the steelers should definetly resign nate. he doesnt cost anything. i wonder who will be gone from the o-line though. you dont want to replace too many guys in one year. i think either simmons and colon or maybe both. but then again it might be smith and simmons. in any case i dont see why the steelers wouldnt release simmons

Oviedo
10-09-2008, 09:09 AM

that seems about right. i would be very happy with that draft. i havent watched enough college football this year to know certain players that i want. i would think next years draft class o-linemen would be kinda weak, but im just saying that because last years class was amazing. the steelers should definetly resign nate. he doesnt cost anything. i wonder who will be gone from the o-line though. you dont want to replace too many guys in one year. i think either simmons and colon or maybe both. but then again it might be smith and simmons. in any case i dont see why the steelers wouldnt release simmons

Resigning Nate will really depend on how Sweed develops and if Nate is willing to resign to be a back up or wants to try to get starter money elsewhere. I think the latter is unlikely he could get it.

I have to say I thought Simmins could be better than he has been. Probably time to walk away on that one but it will likely be with a cap hit since he extended just last year. If the cap hit is too great keep him as aback up for another year.

I really expect that Smith will stay either with an extension or being tagged. The only thing that would change that would be a series of injuries as the season goes on. But that would also lower his market value.

steelblood
10-09-2008, 09:21 AM
Round 1 - OT (right or left). Protecting Big Ben is job #1 with this draft. Giving Ben another second back there will translate directly into wins.
Round 2 - CB - If McFadden goes, we need a starter quality DB.
Round 3 - DE - Young guy that can work into the rotation and eventually start. If would be a plus he had some natural pass rushing ability.
Round 3 (comp) - OT/OG (depending on who we resign).
Round 4 - NT
Round 5 - KR
Round 6 - S
Round 7 - OLB
Round 7 - OL

RuthlessBurgher
10-09-2008, 10:23 AM

With Marvel, Kemo, Max, and Essex all unrestricted free agents after this season, Simmons and Colon will both be back because Simmons is one of the only guys on the o-line who has a long-term deal in place already, and Colon is a RFA that can be easily retained with a tender offer. I say they should franchise Marvel for one year while our '09 first day OT pick gets accustomed to the NFL, they should attempt to sign Kemo long-term, and possibly bring back Essex as a swing guy only if he is willing to sign for reasonable backup money.

As for the draft possibilities...
1. OT
2. DE
3. Trade the pick to move up in the 1st round to get the OT you really want
3. (Faneca comp) NT
4. OC/OG
5. CB
6. DE
7. (Mahan trade) FS
7. WR/KR

Oviedo
10-09-2008, 10:43 AM

With Marvel, Kemo, Max, and Essex all unrestricted free agents after this season, Simmons and Colon will both be back because Simmons is one of the only guys on the o-line who has a long-term deal in place already, and Colon is a RFA that can be easily retained with a tender offer. I say they should franchise Marvel for one year while our '09 first day OT pick gets accustomed to the NFL, they should attempt to sign Kemo long-term, and possibly bring back Essex as a swing guy only if he is willing to sign for reasonable backup money.

As for the draft possibilities...
1. OT
2. DE
3. Trade the pick to move up in the 1st round to get the OT you really want
3. (Faneca comp) NT
4. OC/OG
5. CB
6. DE
7. (Mahan trade) FS
7. WR/KR

Very good. I like the trade up in Round 1 if we go for an OT. Ot or DE in Round 1 would both make me happy.

AngryAsian
10-09-2008, 10:47 AM
I can't even think about delineating draft orders right now, but I will say this... as much as we need to beef up both lines, please keep in mind this. When was the last time we had a CB in the probowl? If memory serves me it was Rod Woodson. Too long for my liking. We need a shut down corner. I've been envious of teams like SD and Denver.

Oviedo
10-09-2008, 10:58 AM
I can't even think about delineating draft orders right now, but I will say this... as much as we need to beef up both lines, please keep in mind this. When was the last time we had a CB in the probowl? If memory serves me it was Rod Woodson. Too long for my liking. We need a shut down corner. I've been envious of teams like SD and Denver.

Oh grasshopper. You have not learned your lessons well. A bamboo cane for you.

Repeat after me "There is not such thing as a shutdown corner!" They do not exist and are as much a myth as unicorns and mermaids. The league rules have been written to prevent a shutdown corner from existing. All advantages go to the WR. In the Mel Blount and Rod Woodson eras those rules did not exist.

frankthetank1
10-09-2008, 10:58 AM

i know this is really hard to believe but that bum chad scott actually had a pro bowl year. your right though, i really miss having an elite cb on the team, but they are much harder to find these days. bmac definetly has the potential to be that cb although he might be on a different team next year

AngryAsian
10-09-2008, 11:05 AM

Oh grasshopper. You have not learned your lessons well. A bamboo cane for you.

Repeat after me "There is not such thing as a shutdown corner!" They do not exist and are as much a myth as unicorns and mermaids. The league rules have been written to prevent a shutdown corner from existing. All advantages go to the WR. In the Mel Blount and Rod Woodson eras those rules did not exist.

Maybe my use of the nomenclature is off, but I've heard many analyst refer to Antonio Cromartie last year and Champ Baily and Asante Samuel in 2006 (all three with 10 ints a piece) as being described as shut down corners. However they want to use the reference... a CB that will have an OC game plan around them because of their ballhawk ability. We need one.

MeetJoeGreene
10-09-2008, 11:44 AM
Thinking about the draft and next year really makes me gulp.

We could have A LOT of needs/holes.

I fear a rebuiild period if we don't re-sign key players (Kemo, BMac) or be more of a FA player this offseason.

papillon
10-09-2008, 11:45 AM
I think we should go LB, WR, RB (in case Mendy doesn't workout), trade up for a punter (in case Daniel doesn't regain his form) and long snapper (Warren can't last forever).

:stirpot :stirpot

Pappy

phillyesq
10-09-2008, 12:40 PM
The draft will be highly dependent on what the team does with resigning its own free agents. I'd like to see McFadden come back, but I understand that might be a bit of a long shot.

One of the first two picks better have "lineman" somewhere in his title. Not too picky about offensive or defensive. If McFadden leaves, then CB is obviously a priority as well. The Steelers should get a third round comp pick for Faneca. With four premium picks, I'll be very disappointed if each line doesn't get at least one new player by the end of round 3.

One thing to ponder -- with the huge run on first round OTs last year, I would think that the Steelers should have a better opportunity to grab one this year. Hopefully, those teams that loaded up on OTs will wait at least a year to see how their guy develops, and focus their draft day attention to other needs. Not sure if there is any legitimacy to this theory -- just a thought.

MeetJoeGreene
10-09-2008, 12:44 PM

One thing to ponder -- with the huge run on first round OTs last year, I would think that the Steelers should have a better opportunity to grab one this year. Hopefully, those teams that loaded up on OTs will wait at least a year to see how their guy develops, and focus their draft day attention to other needs. Not sure if there is any legitimacy to this theory -- just a thought.

I was wondering (and hoping) that very same think myself.

ANPSTEEL
10-09-2008, 12:49 PM
I think we should go LB, WR, RB (in case Mendy doesn't workout), trade up for a punter (in case Daniel doesn't regain his form) and long snapper (Warren can't last forever).

Pappy
:nono

oh no you don't

now that Millen is gone- there is going to be one extra WR available in the 1st round-

Colbert needs to pick up the slack-

WR round 1- every year, or at least 4 out of 6 years..

:lol:

RuthlessBurgher
10-09-2008, 01:31 PM

Denver gave up 14 points to Oakland, 38 points to San Diego, 32 points to New Orleans, 33 points to Kansas City, and 13 points to Tampa Bay with Champ Bailey and Dre Bly at corner.

San Diego gave up 26 points to Carolina, 39 points to Denver, 29 points to New York Jets, 18 points to Oakland, and 17 points to Miami with Antonio Cromarie and Quentin Jammer at corner.

Pittsburgh gave up 17 to Houston, 6 to Cleveland, 15 to Philadelphia, 20 to Baltimore, and 21 to Jacksonville with Ike Taylor and Bryant McFadden at corner.

The Broncos and Chargers are averaging about 26 points against with their shutdown corners. The Steelers give up 10 points less per game without elite corners. I do not envy Denver or San Diego at all. A solid front 7 is more important than elite corners.

(That being said, I wouldn't mind signing Nnamdi Asomugha after he bolts that mess in Oakland the minute he is eligible for free agency after this season...he'll cost significantly more than McFadden, though, so it is only a pipe dream, but that guy seems to have all of the attributes this team looks for in its corners).

Oviedo
10-09-2008, 01:39 PM
The draft will be highly dependent on what the team does with resigning its own free agents. I'd like to see McFadden come back, but I understand that might be a bit of a long shot.

One of the first two picks better have "lineman" somewhere in his title. Not too picky about offensive or defensive. If McFadden leaves, then CB is obviously a priority as well. The Steelers should get a third round comp pick for Faneca. With four premium picks, I'll be very disappointed if each line doesn't get at least one new player by the end of round 3.

Expect the same type of run this year. The economics of free agency has made OTs all but unaffordable to any team other than bad teams with tons of cap space.

Oviedo
10-09-2008, 01:41 PM

Denver gave up 14 points to Oakland, 38 points to San Diego, 32 points to New Orleans, 33 points to Kansas City, and 13 points to Tampa Bay with Champ Bailey and Dre Bly at corner.

San Diego gave up 26 points to Carolina, 39 points to Denver, 29 points to New York Jets, 18 points to Oakland, and 17 points to Miami with Antonio Cromarie and Quentin Jammer at corner.

Pittsburgh gave up 17 to Houston, 6 to Cleveland, 15 to Philadelphia, 20 to Baltimore, and 21 to Jacksonville with Ike Taylor and Bryant McFadden at corner.

The Broncos and Chargers are averaging about 26 points against with their shutdown corners. The Steelers give up 10 points less per game without elite corners. I do not envy Denver or San Diego at all. A solid front 7 is more important than elite corners.

(That being said, I wouldn't mind signing Nnamdi Asomugha after he bolts that mess in Oakland the minute he is eligible for free agency after this season...he'll cost significantly more than McFadden, though, so it is only a pipe dream, but that guy seems to have all of the attributes this team looks for in its corners).

Because it is about THE PASS RUSH NOT THE CBs!!!!!! CBs are only as good as the pass rush. Spent premium picks on DL.

AGAIN for the 1000th time the "shutdown corner" is a myth.

papillon
10-09-2008, 01:54 PM

Pappy

oh no you don't

now that Millen is gone- there is going to be one extra WR available in the 1st round-

ANP, the other guys are taking this way too serious, you and I have the answers to the draft if the others would just look our way for some sage advice. :Bow

Pappy

Iron Shiek
10-09-2008, 02:08 PM

Because it is about THE PASS RUSH NOT THE CBs!!!!!! CBs are only as good as the pass rush. Spent premium picks on DL.

I have to agree and disagree with you Oviedo.

I agree that pass defense is undoubtedly linked to the pass rush. Even if a team isn't getting alot of sacks, just pressuring the qb (which doesn't really show up in the stats) makes your db's look way better.

However I have to contend with your "shutdown corner" myth opinion. I'm sorry, but Champ is a shut down corner. You wanna know why? Because no one even tries to throw at him. I will look for the stat, but during the Denver game, they posted a great stat showing the last several weeks how many times teams threw his way....and it was like 2. Honestly. He shuts his side of the field down...what else would you call that?

AngryAsian
10-09-2008, 02:51 PM

I have to agree and disagree with you Oviedo.

I agree that pass defense is undoubtedly linked to the pass rush. Even if a team isn't getting alot of sacks, just pressuring the qb (which doesn't really show up in the stats) makes your db's look way better.

However I have to contend with your "shutdown corner" myth opinion. I'm sorry, but Champ is a shut down corner. You wanna know why? Because no one even tries to throw at him. I will look for the stat, but during the Denver game, they posted a great stat showing the last several weeks how many times teams threw his way....and it was like 2. Honestly. He shuts his side of the field down...what else would you call that?

IS, I think regardless of all of our varied vantage points on the upcoming needs of defense, I don't think the argument is whether what position we need to take first, I think we are all in unison that the trenches need addressing and after that, we need to look ahead at the CB position because Bmac's tenure and Townsend's age are two factors that will surely impact our secondary. Does our hyper-improved pass rush placate into the scenario, absolutely. Whatever terminology you want to use to describe our future corner, we all, I'm sure, want a solid contributor. The point I was making is that we haven't had a perennial pro-bowler in that position in quite awhile.

ANPSTEEL
10-09-2008, 05:02 PM

Pappy

oh no you don't

ANP, the other guys are taking this way too serious, you and I have the answers to the draft if the others would just look our way for some sage advice. :Bow

Pappy

just tryin' to do my part-

no need to thank me...

thats just how i roll :lol: :lol:

actually, after i've had a couple glenmorangies - to dull the pain of the frikin' market- i'll put together my 'real' thoughts....

but until then-

my advice, go with the mantra

What Would Millen Do???

:Bow :Bow :lol:

AkronSteel
10-09-2008, 10:00 PM
I would love to see the Steelers go OL in the first round this year. OT especially is a need, but I think we will have to settle for an OG b/c it will be tough to get an OT that will be worth the pick at 32! :D

SteelerOfDeVille
10-22-2008, 01:12 PM
(My apologies in advance for the long post - but, this includes both "logic" as well as specific players.)

I know the bye week is over, but, this is SO my type of thread. It's the part I love most about Madden - re-tooling the team.

At a high level, my first thought is that Faneca is likely to net a 3rd rounder in the draft... WORST case, a 4th. I'd take the selection in that round and package it with another pick to move up. Now, I know you can't trade a supplemental pick. But, what I'm saying is if he nets a 3rd rounder, package the normal 3rd rounder with the 2nd rounder. The trenches are crucial in this draft. The d-line is getting old and I can see a good portion of the o-line moving on. Max, Marvel, and maybe even Simmons...

We have a tough stretch coming up, so let's assume the record is around 12-4-ish. I'm guessing you're picking somewhere in the mid-to-late 20's.

My thought is to load up in the draft with o-linemen because you can find solid 3-4 d-linemen in the draft in the middle rounds (see Aaron Smith).

That being the case, let's get to some specifics.
Pick #1. Jamon Meridith, OT, South Carolina. This guy is a has great feet and awareness. If he's lacking anywhere, it's strength. I would compare him to Chris Williams in last year's draft. He's about 4th best OT at this point, so I would hope he lasts.

2. After trading up, this is likely to be early #2 or late #1.
In this place, I would go either OG (to replace Simmons) or C (to be the future at the position). I know, Stapleton is there, but, he could fill in at either, but, would get beat out by the guys I'm going to propose.

There are a couple of very good centers in this draft. In fact, some have suggested that it'll be the year of the center. Alex Mack (Cal) is the best of the bunch, and Johnathan Luigs (Arkansas) isn't too far behind. These guys are both agile and able to pull/get on the 2nd level. They also have VERY good pass pro skills, which is a must with future linemen on this team.

My alternative selection would be Duke Robinson OG from Oklahoma. He might be the best OG in the draft and also is agile and has good pass pro. He's also a devastating run blocker.

3. Honestly, the team is relatively stable everywhere. I couldn't punch a single hole in ANY position on offense (except for the line). The team is loaded at QB, TE, RB, WR.
Defensively, the LB core is solid. Having youth like Timmons and Woodley and Harrison, who has very little tread on his tires. Farrior is again, but, at this point, I'd have to take the gamble on another mid-to-late round LB and/or hope that Davis will blossom into a reliable backup.
Honestly, the DB core is solid. B-Mac's injury could be a blessing in disguise. He was on his way to a Pro Bowl type season. He should be re-inked immediately. Couple him with Ike, and backups of Deshea and Will Gay and I have no concerns with the CBs. Sure, they could use upgrades, as almost any position on a football team could. But, they're certainly capable of being good enough on this team to win a Super Bowl.
The D-line is old. GOOD, YOUNG backups are needed. That being the case, that's where I'd spend my 3rd rounder (Faneca selection). Again, you can find solid 3-4 d-linemen in the middle rounds. 4-3 DEs go in the first because they pass rush well. A 3-4 DEs job is to stuff the run, consume 2 blockers and let the LB get all the glory. You basically need the DEs that have been passed on because they are "average" an pass-rush skills, but, good in run-stopping skills.

Guys like Derek Walker, Illinois or Rulon Davis from Cal. I also wouldn't be opposed to a guy like Ron Brace, DT from Boston College, who I suspect could play NT.

At this point, the draft is simply BPA. I wouldn't be terribly opposed to more linemen, but, mid-round LBs can be productive - especially in the 3-4. If you could get a guy who is known as a run stuffer, it would be great. For example, I love Jasper Brinkley, but, I suspect he goes in the 3rd.