PDA

View Full Version : Steelers' Harrison to appeal NFL fine

fordfixer
10-09-2008, 12:49 AM
Steelers' Harrison to appeal NFL fine
By John Harris
TRIBUNE-REVIEW
Thursday, October 9, 2008
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 92337.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/news/breaking/s_592337.html)

Steelers outside linebacker James Harrison was in surprisingly good spirits for someone who was fined $20,000 by the NFL for criticizing the officiating in Sunday night's 26-21 win at Jacksonville.

Just don't ask him what he thinks about his punishment.

"I have no comment because I can't get fined for something that I don't say," Harrison said following Wednesday's practice, the team's final one before heading into its bye week. "Right now, if you have questions for me, I have no comment on basically anything unless it's fact. If you ask me if my name is James Harrison, I can say yes to that. If you ask me an opinion on how I feel about a player or a team, I can't answer that because I don't want to be fined."

Harrison's agent, Bill Parise, said yesterday that Harrison will appeal his fine.

Taped on the wall next to Harrison's locker was a letter dated Oct. 6 that he received from NFL executive vice president of football operations Ray Anderson explaining his fine.

Taped under the letter was the Tribune-Review article in which Harrison's comments appeared, with the following quote by Harrison highlighted:

"You don't make a call like that in a situation like that, c'mon. Unless (the referee) might have money on it, I don't know."

According to the letter, Harrison violated Article 9.1 (c)(4) of the NFL Constitution and Bylaws, which "prohibits criticism of game officials and other league officials." The letter went on to say that Harrison's "insinuation of gambling is especially disturbing."

Harrison, who is second in the AFC with 6.5 sacks, was flagged for roughing the passer in the fourth quarter after the Steelers had stopped the Jaguars on third down.

Following the win, Harrison said he never took an extra step before hitting quarterback David Garrard and tried to help break Garrard's fall.

"I put my hands out to stop all of my weight from falling on top of him," Harrison said after the game. "Maybe (the referee) was just trying to give them a first down."

Some of Harrison's teammates gathered around his locker as he met with reporters yesterday. Defensive captain James Farrior said he understands what Harrison is going through.

"Oh yeah. We feel his pain. It could easily be one of us. I got fined last week, so I know exactly how he feels," said Farrior, who was docked $7,500 for making an obscene finger gesture at Cleveland Browns fans this season. "That's coming straight out of his check. You don't even get to see it."

Farrior said some of Harrison's teammates believe his comments are reflective of how other players feel.

"Hopefully, I don't get in trouble for this, but (Harrison) definitely felt like he was speaking for a lot of guys. Not only in this locker room, but around the NFL," Farrior said. "Sometimes the calls are made to protect everybody and for everybody's safety, but sometimes they take it a little too far."

John Harris can be reached at jharris@tribweb.com or 412-481-5432.

MeetJoeGreene
10-09-2008, 08:14 AM
"I have no comment because I can't get fined for something that I don't say," Harrison said following Wednesday's practice, the team's final one before heading into its bye week. "Right now, if you have questions for me, I have no comment on basically anything unless it's fact. If you ask me if my name is James Harrison, I can say yes to that. If you ask me an opinion on how I feel about a player or a team, I can't answer that because I don't want to be fined."

That is some funny stuff right there.....

AngryAsian
10-09-2008, 09:49 AM
Deebo is so Jack Lambert old school. He's are throwback player, in terms of how he plays and his viewpoint on how the defensive game should be dispensed.... mercilessly. Glad he's on our side. Like my new sig says..... "Guns don't kill people, Harrison and Woodley kill people." :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
10-09-2008, 01:45 PM
The appeal is a waste of time. There is simply no way the league repeals a fine imposed because a player insinuated that the referees were throwing a game because of gambling interests. He had to know he was going to be fined when he said that. I figured he just thought it was worth a fine to make his point.

Although he was correct that it was a cow-feces penalty call, he probably should have just let sleeping dogs lie because we ended up winning the game (if that call ended up costing us the game, that might be another thing entirely).

GreggyDigital
10-09-2008, 06:24 PM
The appeal is a waste of time. There is simply no way the league repeals a fine imposed because a player insinuated that the referees were throwing a game because of gambling interests. He had to know he was going to be fined when he said that. I figured he just thought it was worth a fine to make his point.

Although he was correct that it was a cow-feces penalty call, he probably should have just let sleeping dogs lie because we ended up winning the game (if that call ended up costing us the game, that might be another thing entirely).

Sick sig, bro.

If you get the time, you should photoshop a stupid Ravens head on the Gladiator and have him stepping in feces.

That'd way you'd have the Ravens (guy ends up getting his ace kicked), the Bengal (chained up) and the Browns being sqaushed (poo on the ground).

It has epic written all over it.

Jom112
10-09-2008, 06:28 PM

Sick sig, bro.

If you get the time, you should photoshop a stupid Ravens head on the Gladiator and have him stepping in feces.

That'd way you'd have the Ravens (guy ends up getting his ace kicked), the Bengal (chained up) and the Browns being sqaushed (poo on the ground).

Speaking of Sigs. I don't think they have any regulations on hot females in sigs on this site Greggy. I think it's time to bring back your old sig...

GreggyDigital
10-09-2008, 06:55 PM

Sick sig, bro.

Speaking of Sigs. I don't think they have any regulations on hot females in sigs on this site Greggy. I think it's time to bring back your old sig...

I just checked and I didn't save it. I'm PM NBF to see if he has is saved on his.