PDA

View Full Version : Nice article on cnnsi.com about Steeler fans

Ozey74
10-08-2008, 03:10 PM
Steelers fans are unquestionably best in the NFL

The news out of Jacksonville Monday morning that approximately 25 percent of the fans for Sunday night's Steelers-Jags contest were waving yellow Terrible Towels came as no surprise to me. The Steelers have the most dominant fan base in the National Football League and their ability to consistently travel, en masse, and infest other team's stadiums gives the Steelers a competitive advantage that no other franchise can claim.

For the record, I grew up in eastern Pennsylvania, was an Eagles fan during my youth and subsequently played for five NFL squads that were not located in Pittsburgh, so I have no allegiance whatsoever to the Steelers or their fans. I just call it like I see it.

Seemingly minutes within signing with a new team, a player will be told by someone within the organization that, unequivocally, they have the best fans in the world. And though there are thousands of die-hard fans in Green Bay, Washington, Dallas, Buffalo, Cleveland, New England, and every other NFL city, the simple truth is very evident to every player in the NFL: Steelers fans are the best in the business.

My thoughts on NFL fans were confirmed in a recent straw poll of a couple active players who said the Steelers fans far and away do the best job of taking away a home team's advantage. None of the players wanted to state their feelings publicly and disenchant their own fans, and for good reason, but the fact remains there is nothing quite as powerful in the NFL as Steeler Nation.

I realized this for the first time in 2004, while playing for a resurgent Bills team that was one win away from a playoff berth. Running out of the home tunnel and seeing the smattering of Terrible Towels and black and yellow in the stands was disheartening. The Steelers had already clinched homefield advantage throughout the playoffs, so this final regular season game was meaningless to them, yet their fans had made the trip in droves.

Though playing at home doesn't assure a team a victory, there are typically four significant advantages to playing in the friendly confines. There is no travel involved. The field and facility are familiar. The players can certainly feed off the energy of the home crowd. The noise can make it difficult for the opposing team's offense to call audibles or utilize the snap count to their advantage. Ask any offensive tackle how much fun it is blocking elite rushers on a silent cadence. They flat-out detest it.

The significant presence of Steelers fans in opposing stadiums, whether they are Steel City transplants or folks who traveled in for the game, effectively eliminates the last two advantages. It is difficult to feed off the energy of the home crowd when you look up in the stands and see that a significant portion of the crowd is actually cheering for the other team. Plus, the noise is not nearly as deafening when less than 80 percent of the fans in the stands are screaming in unison.

All of this adds up to the Steelers having a significant competitive advantage based upon their fans' ability to partially, if not completely, eliminate some of the basic reasons teams are so happy to play at home in the first place.

I know exactly what everyone is going to write in their e-mails to me. First, people are going to comment on the Jags having arguably the worst fans in the NFL, and I will not dispute that in the slightest. People in Jacksonville would probably be more excited to watch an SEC clash between Kentucky and Vanderbilt. But it is not just Jacksonville. Seemingly, no stadium is truly immune to the Steelers culture.

Secondly, I am well aware that the Packers, Raiders, Cowboys and Redskins, just to name a few, have great fans who pop up in away stadiums every time their team is on the road. Trust me, it does not compare to Steelers fans. I have played for some of those teams and it is not even close. The Steelers have the best fans in the NFL.

MeetJoeGreene
10-08-2008, 03:13 PM
:Cheers :tt2 :Clap :Clap :Clap :Clap :tt2 :Agree

ikestops85
10-08-2008, 03:44 PM
It's about time someone came out and said what we in steeler nation have known for a long time. Can someone go post that on the bengal smack board. It should prove to be a lively topic since they can't talk smack about their football team.

:tt2 :Cheers :tt2

frankthetank1
10-08-2008, 03:44 PM
that is a great article and i agree we are the best fans any nfl team could have.

AngryAsian
10-08-2008, 03:54 PM
word

Oviedo
10-08-2008, 03:59 PM
yea baby!!!! This is what you will see in the Bumgals stadium next weekend

:tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :( :( :( :( :tt2 :tt2 :(
:( :( :( :( :tt2 :tt2 :tt1 :( :( :( :(
:( :( :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :( :( :( :( :( :tt2 :tt1
:tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :( :( :( :( :tt2 :tt2 :tt2
:tt2 :tt2 :( :( :( :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 :( :( :(

Towel waving Steeler fans and depressed Bumgal fans

NC Steeler Fan
10-08-2008, 04:45 PM
Biiiiitchin'...... 8)

Flasteel
10-08-2008, 06:21 PM
At least he mentioned the "Steel City transplants", but I get real sick of everyone attributing this to people who live in Pittsburgh, traveling all across the country to invade opponent's stadiums. What makes this happen is the unbelievably widespread base of the Steeler Nation which exists in every city across America (as well as most Mexican, Canadian, and many other world-wide locations).

I'm not from Pittsburgh (or anywhere close to it) and have been a die-hard fan for well over 30 years. I am one of millions.

buckeyehoppy
10-08-2008, 06:30 PM
Great view point from an NFL veteran on the real greatest team in the NFL.

The Steeler Universe has fans everywhere!!!

:Cheers

stlrz d
10-08-2008, 07:10 PM
At least he mentioned the "Steel City transplants", but I get real sick of everyone attributing this to people who live in Pittsburgh, traveling all across the country to invade opponent's stadiums. What makes this happen is the unbelievably widespread base of the Steeler Nation which exists in every city across America (as well as most Mexican, Canadian, and many other world-wide locations).

I'm not from Pittsburgh (or anywhere close to it) and have been a die-hard fan for well over 30 years. I am one of millions.

Agreed. I'm not from Pittsburgh but have been a fan for 36 years. Steelers fans are living everywhere and not every one present at a game traveled from the 'Burgh or even from PA for that matter. No disrespect intended because plenty do. Just sayin'.

Btw, I was curious as to who wrote the article...here's the link: http://m.si.com/news/wr/wr/detail/12035 ... nsilive10i (http://m.si.com/news/wr/wr/detail/1203517;jsessionid=9F1704B52F597FF4946401B9190B386 5.cnnsilive10i)

AngryAsian
10-08-2008, 08:44 PM
Likewise... born nowhere near Pittsburgh. Just fortunate enough to come off the boat and in first grade, was made to sit next to the other new kid in school. A little Italian kid from Harrisburg, PA. Learned the "Engrish" language while learning to appreciate the game of football.... and of course that little Italian kid was a Steeler fan. Watched all those great SBs at his house and have been a fan since '74. Damn, I'm old.

Oviedo
10-08-2008, 09:02 PM
Likewise... born nowhere near Pittsburgh. Just fortunate enough to come off the boat and in first grade, was made to sit next to the other new kid in school. A little Italian kid from Harrisburg, PA. Learned the "Engrish" language while learning to appreciate the game of football.... and of course that little Italian kid was a Steeler fan. Watched all those great SBs at his house and have been a fan since '74. Damn, I'm old.

Born and raised in Pittsburgh until duty called. I guess that just makes me more special than the rest of you :wink:

stlrz d
10-08-2008, 09:06 PM

Gotcha by 2 years...'72 for me!

stlrz d
10-08-2008, 09:07 PM

Born and raised in Pittsburgh until duty called. I guess that just makes me more special than the rest of you :wink:

Yeah but how are you as a fantasy football GM? :P

Flasteel
10-08-2008, 09:23 PM

I go back to '72 as well and only know that because I had Steeler jeans (from Sears) when I was in the first grade. I'm from Bradenton, which has been the Spring home for the Pirates since 1969 and that's how I came to embrace the Black-n-Gold. By the time the Bucs came into existence, there was no turning back for me and in hind-sight, that was one of the smartest moves I ever made. :D

stlrz d
10-08-2008, 09:27 PM

I go back to '72 as well and only know that because I had Steeler jeans (from Sears) when I was in the first grade. I'm from Bradenton, which has been the Spring home for the Pirates since 1969 and that's how I came to embrace the Black-n-Gold. By the time the Bucs came into existence, there was no turning back for me and in hind-sight, that was one of the smartest moves I ever made. :D

I was a kid in Los Angeles (5) and saw the Steelers logo on the curtains in my friend's room...they were those NFL logo curtains with all the teams on them. I went home later that day and told my dad I was a Steelers fan and didn't like the Rams.

He still made me wear my stupid t-shirt with the pic of Roman Gabriel on the front though. :(

GreggyDigital
10-08-2008, 09:30 PM
I was born in NW PA but now reside in Baltimore. I'm actually hard pressed to find other fans in the area because of the obvious high Ravens fan population but when I went to the game in Baltimore last year, I saw a lot of Steeler friendly people.

I just had to dodge some beer on my way to give some high fives.

The Steeler nation is strong.

SteelTorch
10-08-2008, 10:16 PM
I was born in NW PA but now reside in Baltimore. I'm actually hard pressed to find other fans in the area because of the obvious high Ravens fan population but when I went to the game in Baltimore last year, I saw a lot of Steeler friendly people.

Totally OT, but the GreggyDigital has arrived!!! Great to see your face here, bro! :tt2

By the way, the mod's here aren't as strict, so if you want you can change back to your 'original' sig. :wink:

AngryAsian
10-08-2008, 10:43 PM

Totally OT, but the GreggyDigital has arrived!!! Great to see your face here, bro! :tt2

By the way, the mod's here aren't as strict, so if you want you can change back to your 'original' sig. :wink:

What sig is that exactly?

SteelTorch
10-08-2008, 10:52 PM

What sig is that exactly?
Instead of a nun, the original had a girl in a Steeler-themed bathing suit (if memory serves me correctly). :wink:

papillon
10-08-2008, 11:22 PM
Born and raised in the east suburbs of Pittsburgh and have been fan for all of my life (50 years worth next Wednesday). My family had the good fortune to know the right people in the Steeler organization and my brother and I were able to get tickets to any Steeler game played at TRS.

I cheer for all sports teams Pittsburgh, regardless, of how pathetic that team is (read, the Pirates), because, they're my home town team and I love the city of Pittsburgh. To this day I can't understand how fans that have no attachment to the city of Pittsburgh can be a fan of the Steelers. I'm glad to have you, but, I don't understand it.

I will say this, knowing how I feel about where I was born, I sure am glad that I wasn't born in Cleveland, Cincinnati or Baltimore. :D

Pappy

fordfixer
10-08-2008, 11:41 PM

Same here :tt1

Djfan
10-09-2008, 01:32 AM

Same here :tt1

Me too, and the wife and kids. Born in Canada, raised in San Diego. Been a fan since I can remember - through all four SBs in the 70's at least. Never have cheered for another team, unless they were playing someone I hated.

I was a crossing guard in grade school, and they used to give us free Charger tickets because they can't sell out (still). I never took any. My boy was given a charger jersey by him mom who hates me. He told her to take it back because he wouldn't wear it. She wasn't happy, but I was vocally proud.

GO STEELERS' NATION!!

proudpittsburgher
10-09-2008, 07:05 AM
Born and raised in the east suburbs of Pittsburgh and have been fan for all of my life (50 years worth next Wednesday). My family had the good fortune to know the right people in the Steeler organization and my brother and I were able to get tickets to any Steeler game played at TRS.

I cheer for all sports teams Pittsburgh, regardless, of how pathetic that team is (read, the Pirates), because, they're my home town team and I love the city of Pittsburgh. To this day I can't understand how fans that have no attachment to the city of Pittsburgh can be a fan of the Steelers. I'm glad to have you, but, I don't understand it.

I will say this, knowing how I feel about where I was born, I sure am glad that I wasn't born in Cleveland, Cincinnati or Baltimore. :D

Pappy

My story is closest to Pappy's here. Born and raised in the North Side, and wouldn't have it any other way. My Mom's Aunt Rose was a nanny for the Rooneys, so I grew up getting press pases for every homegame with my dad to get in the door throughout the 80s and early 90's, under Gate C if I remember correctly, and parking my feet in the standing room only section above the Steelers tunnell. After a while, my Dad and I got tired of not being able to walk away without losing our places, so we learned you could get a great view of the game from about midway up the ramps on the outside of the stadium. Good times. I miss Three Rivers Stadium, I miss my Dad, and wouldn't trade those standing room only tickets for any seat in the stadium. Like I said, Good times.

Oviedo
10-09-2008, 07:45 AM

Yeah but how are you as a fantasy football GM? :P

No interest at all in Fantasy Football. I like the real world. :D

frankthetank1
10-09-2008, 07:52 AM

Pappy

why dont you understand why someone not from the burgh would love the steelers? i can think of a ton of reasons why a person would love the steelers. i grew up close to nyc but my father is from the burgh. if my dad wasnt a steeler fan i guess i wouldnt be either. as a kid i loved all the teams he did, which i think is pretty normal for boys. thats so cool you were able to get tickets to games at trs. i consider myself very lucky to have seen both steeler and pirate games at trs. i loved that stadium more than any other

Oviedo
10-09-2008, 08:01 AM

Pappy

why dont you understand why someone not from the burgh would love the steelers? i can think of a ton of reasons why a person would love the steelers. i grew up close to nyc but my father is from the burgh. if my dad wasnt a steeler fan i guess i wouldnt be either. as a kid i loved all the teams he did, which i think is pretty normal for boys. thats so cool you were able to get tickets to games at trs. i consider myself very lucky to have seen both steeler and pirate games at trs. i loved that stadium more than any other

The people I meet who are not from Pittsburgh are in many ways more hardcore. They tends to less irrational and their love of the Steelers seems to be more unconditional. I really couldn't figure it out until one once told me it is about the defense. People who love the Steelers love hardcore defensive football. You also hear about the "class" of the organization.

When you can get that kind of broadbased diverse support for a sports team then you really have something. We are lucky. Living in Orlando we get to see Jag and Bucs fans and I would guess that 50% of their fans are "bandwagon fans" who are just supporting them because they have recently done something good. As soon as they do bad these fans disappear. Dolphins fans are much more dedicated, but Steeler fans still outnumber them in Central Florida.

frankthetank1
10-09-2008, 08:10 AM

Pappy

The people I meet who are not from Pittsburgh are in many ways more hardcore. They tends to less irrational and their love of the Steelers seems to be more unconditional. I really couldn't figure it out until one once told me it is about the defense. People who love the Steelers love hardcore defensive football. You also hear about the "class" of the organization.

When you can get that kind of broadbased diverse support for a sports team then you really have something. We are lucky. Living in Orlando we get to see Jag and Bucs fans and I would guess that 50% of their fans are "bandwagon fans" who are just supporting them because they have recently done something good. As soon as they do bad these fans disappear. Dolphins fans are much more dedicated, but Steeler fans still outnumber them in Central Florida.

eh dolphin fans are nothing to write home about either. florida sports fans in general are pretty weak except for college football. your right about the class of the organization and defense. i was just thinking about how much more i like to watch the defense play than the offense. i think there are a lot of fans that love the steelers because they are good year in and out. i mean is there any other nfl team as consistent?

Slapstick
10-09-2008, 09:13 AM
I am not from Pittsburgh...I am actually from Ohio...

Growing up, my house was exactly 71 miles from Three Rivers Stadium and 71 miles from Cleveland Municipal Stadium...it was right on US Route 30...people familiar with the local geography know that US Route 30 (aka the Lincoln Highway) connects Canton, OH (home of the Hall of Fame) to Pittsburgh and continues on through Latrobe...

In a family of 6, we were (and still are) a house evenly divided between Browns fans and Steelers fans...not an uncommon occurrence in the area...

One day, my father (a Browns fan) took my brother and I to a Steelers @ Browns game...of course, the Steelers won and my brother and I were hooked...it's one of my earliest memories...Dad never took us back after that, for some reason...

After that, it was Steelers helmets and Franco Harris pajamas...I never looked back...not even in the 80's when it was a miserable time to be a Steelers fan in Ohio...

Now, with jobs and families, my brother and I always make at least one journey to Pittsburgh each year to attend a game...when possible, we make sure that it is the Browns game...because even now, after all these years, watching the Steelers beat the piss out of the Browns never gets old...

proudpittsburgher
10-09-2008, 09:13 AM

Pappy

That's his point. You had an attachment to the Burgh in your dad. I know a lot of fans here in Fort Wayne who, when I ask if they are from Pittsburgh say, "No, I just grew up liking the Steelers in the 70s." I get what he is saying through. I have an emotional attachment to the city and its sports teams. I take a few friends back to the Burgh, usually those who had never been there before, to watch a Pirates/Steelers double dip during the preseason, and I always feel like I am more enamored with the city than they are. There's nothing wrong with that, you don't have to love the city to love the team. For me, though, the team IS an extension of the city.

AngryAsian
10-09-2008, 09:37 AM
I totally understand Pap's rhetorical question of how he can't understand people's attachment to the team without ever living in Pittsburgh. From my perspective it was a childhood memory that was extremely strong. To engulf a new language, a new culture, a new home/country... America was this fabled land of opportunity and Disneyworld (from a six year old's perspective) and once I was immersed in the culture, to me cheering for football was part of being an American. When I was six I thought everybody was a Steeler fan.

papillon
10-09-2008, 09:51 AM

Pappy

That's his point. You had an attachment to the Burgh in your dad. I know a lot of fans here in Fort Wayne who, when I ask if they are from Pittsburgh say, "No, I just grew up liking the Steelers in the 70s." I get what he is saying through. I have an emotional attachment to the city and its sports teams. I take a few friends back to the Burgh, usually those who had never been there before, to watch a Pirates/Steelers double dip during the preseason, and I always feel like I am more enamored with the city than they are. There's nothing wrong with that, you don't have to love the city to love the team. For me, though, the team IS an extension of the city.

You hit the nail on the head, the team is an extension of the city and that's where I grew up, went to college and had my first job. I am a fan of the following teams and there really are no other teams in my world: Steelers, Pirates, Pens and Panthers.

My sons asked me the other day who is my 2nd favorite football team? when I told them that there is only one team they couldn't understand it, because, one of them has a friend that is skins fan, so, his 2nd team are the skins and the other has a friend who's an Eagles fan, so, his 2nd favorite team are the eagles. They can't fathom why I can't cheer for any other team, it's because, they have no attachment to the city like I do.

Each loves the Steelers (fatheads of Ben and Bettis) in their rooms, but, they actually have a second team and I can't fathom that.

As a side note and how many people do you hear say this? I plan on retiring in Pittsburgh, so that, I can renew old friendships long gone and love for the city that defines most everything about me.

Pappy

frankthetank1
10-09-2008, 09:54 AM

Pappy

oh my bad. my point was its the steelers, how could anyone not be a fan of the best team in all of sports? i did have an attachment to the burgh but growing up in the ny sports market you never heard about the steelers and pirates no matter how good they were. before the internet it was hard to get news and coverage of pittsburgh sports. feel the same way the team is an extension of the city. i love the city of pittsburgh and it really has nothing to do with sports. i've always thought it was a very nice city and i like how its not all that big and the locals are pretty nice. its so different than nyc or boston.

papillon
10-09-2008, 10:07 AM
oh my bad. my point was its the steelers, how could anyone not be a fan of the best team in all of sports? i did have an attachment to the burgh but growing up in the ny sports market you never heard about the steelers and pirates no matter how good they were. before the internet it was hard to get news and coverage of pittsburgh sports. feel the same way the team is an extension of the city. i love the city of pittsburgh and it really has nothing to do with sports. i've always thought it was a very nice city and i like how its not all that big and the locals are pretty nice. its so different than nyc or boston.

If it hadn't been for your father you wouldn't be the great Steeler fan that you are. Just so everyone knows, I am not knocking those that are Steeler fans and have never set foot in the city; I just can't understand how it happens. I'm sure the success in the 70s has everything to do with it, but, if I had grown up in a different city I would be a fan of their sports teams no matter how pathetic (similar to the Pirates).

My memories of the Steelers start with the bus ride to the stadium as a teen, walking up gate 'C' at TRS with my ticket in hand or to the will call booth to pick up the tickets, walking across the bridge to the game (when Icould drive to the game), tailgating with everyone and anyone, waiting outside the locker room for the players, just to say "hi" and good game (I never asked for an autograph, they seemed so accessible that it didn't seem necessary), staying downtown after the game with friends just hangin out in the "big city" :lol: and then the ride back home via public transportation.

Pappy

AngryAsian
10-09-2008, 10:12 AM
If it hadn't been for your father you wouldn't be the great Steeler fan that you are. Just so everyone knows, I am not knocking those that are Steeler fans and have never set foot in the city; I just can't understand how it happens. I'm sure the success in the 70s has everything to do with it, but, if I had grown up in a different city I would be a fan of their sports teams no matter how pathetic (similar to the Pirates).

My memories of the Steelers start with the bus ride to the stadium as a teen, walking up gate 'C' at TRS with my ticket in hand or to the will call booth to pick up the tickets, walking across the bridge to the game (when Icould drive to the game), tailgating with everyone and anyone, waiting outside the locker room for the players, just to say "hi" and good game (I never asked for an autograph, they seemed so accessible that it didn't seem necessary), staying downtown after the game with friends just hangin out in the "big city" :lol: and then the ride back home via public transportation.

Pappy

Non-Pittsburgher :Hater :lol: :lol: :lol:

Visiting the Burgh two weeks back, seeing the surroundings, the city, the people... I can see how it would impact your childhood.

proudpittsburgher
10-09-2008, 10:14 AM

Pappy

I think that's a really interesting point, frank. I grew up in Pittsburgh, and have a love for the city, even though I have been removed from it for going on 11 years now. The love for the sports teams grew from there, but there is absolutely no reason it can't be the other way around for those who did not grow up there. You can start by being a Steelers fan, and if you don't love the city or it's people after hanging out in the parking lots tailgating with some of the faithful, man, I don;t know how you can't develope a love for the city and its people

frankthetank1
10-09-2008, 10:53 AM

Pappy

that is very true if it wasnt for my dad i probably would be a giants fan. they have always been my 2nd favorite team, but i wouldnt consider myself a fan really. i loved watching LT and i loved william mara. they are a classy organization but nowadays i cannot root for them just because i cant stand plax or eli. i didnt think you were knocking steeler fans that arent local at all. its funny because i sometimes wonder how a person can not like the steelers. i just dont get that.

frankthetank1
10-09-2008, 10:55 AM

Pappy

I think that's a really interesting point, frank. I grew up in Pittsburgh, and have a love for the city, even though I have been removed from it for going on 11 years now. The love for the sports teams grew from there, but there is absolutely no reason it can't be the other way around for those who did not grow up there. You can start by being a Steelers fan, and if you don't love the city or it's people after hanging out in the parking lots tailgating with some of the faithful, man, I don;t know how you can't develope a love for the city and its people

i feel the same way. if you dont like the city of pittsburgh or the locals then i dont understand how you could be a steeler fan. i think it goes hand in hand but i also cant understand a person who doesnt like the city. it has a lot to offer especially for a city of its size

papillon
10-09-2008, 11:43 AM
i feel the same way. if you dont like the city of pittsburgh or the locals then i dont understand how you could be a steeler fan. i think it goes hand in hand but i also cant understand a person who doesnt like the city. it has a lot to offer especially for a city of its size

Shhhhhh...I don't want it to be too crowded when I retire there! I want to wave my :tt1 and drink :Cheers with my beautiful :Boobs without having to worry about being crowded. :wink:

Pappy

MeetJoeGreene
10-09-2008, 12:00 PM
I, too, have a hard time understanding how people who have never lived in the Burgh (or had attachements such as parents) turn out to be die-hard fans. It makes me happy that there are so many of them.

Are most of you old(er) and became fans during the 70s? That would be understandable.

How many actually BECAME fans during the 80s or the early Cowher years?

I, myself, have lived in various cities in my time. I have never "adopted' another competing team in Baseball, Hockey, or Football. I have, however, adopted a few NBA teams over the years, but none has "stuck". (e.g. I went from the Lakers to Wizards and now I like the Spurs).

papillon
10-09-2008, 12:38 PM
I, too, have a hard time understanding how people who have never lived in the Burgh (or had attachements such as parents) turn out to be die-hard fans. It makes me happy that there are so many of them.

Are most of you old(er) and became fans during the 70s? That would be understandable.

I, myself, have lived in various cities in my time. I have never "adopted' another competing team in Baseball, Hockey, or Football. I have, however, adopted a few NBA teams over the years, but none has "stuck". (e.g. I went from the Lakers to Wizards and now I like the Spurs).

I had never thought about basketball before, but, I'm exactly the same way. I was a Boston fan when Bird played, but, could care less about the Celtics right now. I also enjoyed the Spurs when George Gervin played and the Sixers with the good doctor and his highlight reels were all the rage. Now, like MJG, I like the Spurs again and the Suns.

I can jump teams in basketball, because, I have no Pittsburgh attachment in basketball. There was never a professional basketball team in Pittsburgh, so, I have no allegiance.

Pappy

ROLROC
10-09-2008, 01:17 PM
interesting responses. do you react/look at STEELERS fans differently if you know they don't have any "roots" to the city, themselves or family members?

NC Steeler Fan
10-09-2008, 01:21 PM
When your father grew up on the streets of Pittsburgh and your mom
grew up 1 of 11 children to Russian immigrants who were coal miners in
Johnstown PA, I don't care how far away you were born and raised from
PA....

...being a Steeler fan is in your genetic makeup! 8)

ikestops85
10-09-2008, 01:37 PM
I grew up in the South Hills of Pittsburgh. Bethel Park to be exact. My Dad took me to my first Steeler game in 1968 when I was 10 years old. The Steelers were playing the St. Louis Cardinals at Pitt Stadium. As I remember the Cardinals beat us pretty good and as we were leaving the stadium I said that to my dad. I'll never forget what he told me. He said as a Steeler fan we don't keep score on the scoreboard because we don't win that battle often. We keep score based on the players carried off the field. By his reckoning we won that game 6-2. I think that was the day my blood turned black and gold. Needless to say it wasn't too many years later that we started winning on the scoreboard but by then I was already hooked. I also fondly remember our Sunday pilgrimages to some motel in Ohio to watch home games on TV since they were blacked out in the local markets.

I live outside of D.C. now and truly believe that the Sunday Ticket is the greatest invention of mankind. My kids laugh at me because I have this dancing steeler doll and everytime they score my wife starts it dancing and I dance along with it. I can't imagine being a fan of any other team.

HERE WE GO STEELERS!! :tt2

frankthetank1
10-09-2008, 01:39 PM
i've always thought that an nba team would do pretty well in pittsburgh. compared to places like charlotte or memphis where nba teams have failed its strange why the burgh has never been considered. if the nhl can be popular in pittsburgh than the nba would be too. even the pirates draw well considering how bad they are year in and out

papillon
10-09-2008, 01:43 PM
interesting responses. do you react/look at STEELERS fans differently if you know they don't have any "roots" to the city, themselves or family members?

No, absolutely not, Steeler family is Steeler family, I'm a life long Steeler fan for different reasons than those that have no attachment to the city or region, that's all.

Pappy

RuthlessBurgher
10-09-2008, 03:37 PM

I wasn't born until '75. You are old. :wink:

Jigawatts
10-09-2008, 03:48 PM
To this day I can't understand how fans that have no attachment to the city of Pittsburgh can be a fan of the Steelers.

Pappy

Maybe a relative was drafted in '89. :wink:

RuthlessBurgher
10-09-2008, 03:53 PM
I grew up in the South Hills of Pittsburgh. Bethel Park to be exact. My Dad took me to my first Steeler game in 1968 when I was 10 years old. The Steelers were playing the St. Louis Cardinals at Pitt Stadium. As I remember the Cardinals beat us pretty good and as we were leaving the stadium I said that to my dad. I'll never forget what he told me. He said as a Steeler fan we don't keep score on the scoreboard because we don't win that battle often. We keep score based on the players carried off the field. By his reckoning we won that game 6-2. I think that was the day my blood turned black and gold. I also fondly remember our Sunday pilgrimages to some motel in Ohio to watch home games on TV since they were blacked out in the local markets.

I live outside of D.C. now and truly believe that the Sunday Ticket is the greatest invention of mankind. My kids laugh at me because I have this dancing steeler doll and everytime they score my wife starts it dancing and dance along with it. I can't imagine being a fan of any other team.

Driving to a motel just to be able to watch a game is a cool story. :tt2 :Steel :tt1

MeetJoeGreene
10-09-2008, 04:04 PM

No, absolutely not, Steeler family is Steeler family, I'm a life long Steeler fan for different reasons than those that have no attachment to the city or region, that's all.

Pappy
:Agree

I make no distinction. I hold folks in equally high esteem if they are Steeler fans.

I am just fascinated in the reason that they became Steeler fans.

MeetJoeGreene
10-09-2008, 04:06 PM
To this day I can't understand how fans that have no attachment to the city of Pittsburgh can be a fan of the Steelers.

Pappy

You're related to Tim Worley???

:tt2

Jigawatts
10-09-2008, 04:26 PM

Pappy

No. :D

But if you think about it, you'll figure it out without me saying.

frankthetank1
10-09-2008, 04:37 PM

Pappy

jerry o?

Jigawatts
10-09-2008, 04:47 PM

Pappy

jerry o?

You got it. If he didn't get drafted by the Steelers there was a possibility that I could
have ended up a browns fan. :shock:

MeetJoeGreene
10-09-2008, 04:57 PM
You got it. If he didn't get drafted by the Steelers there was a possibility that I could
have ended up a browns fan. :shock:

Just think how much your life would have sucked then. You would be hanging out with c0ckface boy and your photoshop entries wouldn't contain smiles.

papillon
10-09-2008, 09:28 PM

Pappy

So, how much do you pay him weekly for saving you from a lifetime of suffering? :P

Because you get to wave :tt2 :tt2 :tt2 instead of having people always sayoing :brownssuck

Pappy

buckeyehoppy
10-09-2008, 11:33 PM

I became a Steelers fan while I was still in HS, long about 1982 when many (not all) of my friends were Clowns fans.

There wasn't much to root for with the Clowns in the 70s and while I played HS football, I became enamored with the way the Steelers played the game. One of my first favorite Steelers was Bryan Hinkle. He wasn't really fancy and he was a pretty pedestrian LB. But he always seemed to be in on the play. I admired that.

My being a fan of the Steelers was more a progression than an overnight sensation. I remember watching the 0-51 debacle in 1989 at a family reunion in a room full of Clowns fans. Needless to say, winning the rematch in Cleveland that year might not have been a blow out, but the Steelers got their revenge on the last truly good Clowns team.

I was in a bar in Rocky River watching the Steelers win their 1994 playoff against the Clowns, then was speechless when the Steelers went in the tank the next week in the AFC Championship.

And I remember nearly having a heart attack in '95 when the ball hit the ground and I finally had a Steelers SB as a full-fledged fan. Never mind SBXXX was as obscene as the number of the game indicated. I was still proud of my Steelers, though, and was sure that many return visits would be forthcoming.

The greatest time to be a Steelers fan here was during the Clowns exodus. The Steelers were always on TV and WTAM radio here carried the Steelers broadcast feed. The opportunity to listen to Myron Cope every week without static was priceless.

Once the Clowns returned, my resolve was much stronger for the Steelers. I loved going out and being among the "Steeler Nation" and even though I could have bought the Sunday Ticket, being with the Steelers fraternity in Cleveland was even better than the convenience of watching at home.

Then, the 2005 season came. It was the year where there would be "no acceptable outcome" short of a SB win. I kept chanting the mantra, willing the Steelers to the SB after falling short in '04. Even at 7-5, I knew they had to do it. There was no choice. There was NO Acceptable Outcome short of the SB Championship.

And I remember as the last seconds of the SB ticked away I yelled at the top of my lungs "I ACCEPT THIS OUTCOME!!!" Even those friends with me that day who were partial to the Clowns somehow summoned the class to offer thanks.

As the years have passed, my allegiance to the Steelers has progressed. No, I have never lived in Pittsburgh. But I am a great lover of cities anyway and have been to many of them in this country. But the greatness and class of the Steelers transcends the city and embodies everything that is excellent about sports.

I would equate the greatness of the Steelers with the greatness of other teams in sport: the Steelers belong in the fraternity with the Yankees, Canadiens, Celtics, Lakers, etc.

And I am satisfied with my being a fan of the Steelers. After 26 years of following the Steelers and becoming a much more active fan as the years go by, I can't imagine following another NFL team the way I do the Steelers.

I believe I chose well. The Steelers are my team in the NFL...even in Cleveland.

:tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1 :tt1

AkronSteel
10-10-2008, 12:48 AM

Pappy

I don't have a personal attachment to the City, either, but I have been a Steelers Fan since before I could walk. I had a Franco Jersey in my crib when I came home. My family is from Arcadia and my grandpa was a huge Steelers Fan back in the day. I never knew anything else. I was born and raised here in Akron and was surrounded by Browns Fans my whole life, but i never wavered. I actually love the City. I go to the Burgh a few times a year for Pirates games and whenever I can get tickets for the Steelers. I was just there on Aug 14th for the Buccos and the Reds. I love the Cranberry area and Wexford. I have actually contemplated moving there later on in life.

Oviedo
10-10-2008, 08:52 AM
I grew up in the South Hills of Pittsburgh. Bethel Park to be exact. My Dad took me to my first Steeler game in 1968 when I was 10 years old. The Steelers were playing the St. Louis Cardinals at Pitt Stadium. As I remember the Cardinals beat us pretty good and as we were leaving the stadium I said that to my dad. I'll never forget what he told me. He said as a Steeler fan we don't keep score on the scoreboard because we don't win that battle often. We keep score based on the players carried off the field. By his reckoning we won that game 6-2. I think that was the day my blood turned black and gold. Needless to say it wasn't too many years later that we started winning on the scoreboard but by then I was already hooked. I also fondly remember our Sunday pilgrimages to some motel in Ohio to watch home games on TV since they were blacked out in the local markets.

I live outside of D.C. now and truly believe that the Sunday Ticket is the greatest invention of mankind. My kids laugh at me because I have this dancing steeler doll and everytime they score my wife starts it dancing and I dance along with it. I can't imagine being a fan of any other team.

Same here--West Mifflin. I remember going to a Steelers game at Forbes Field--exhibition I think. I was hooked form that point. Went to my grandparents for Sunday dinner very Sunday and the whole family would be in front of the TV watching football or listening on the radio. Great memories.

I agree about Direct TV. Lots of years in a great sports bar here in Orlando which has been taken over by Steeler fans but nothing beats watching the game at home.

Iron Shiek
10-10-2008, 09:24 AM
I, like Buckeye Hoppy, come from Stainsville. Born in 1979 ( :cry: just missed the glory days) and raised outside of Cleveland. Grew up in a Browns household. Lucky for me I had 3 driving factors that led me to the Black and Gold.

1. My first football card when I was like 3 or 4 years old that I cherished was a John Stallworth card. Don't ask me why. The uniform and just the picture of him catching the ball, I don't know, I liked it.

2. My cousin. He was older and lived through most of the Steel Curtain days. I think he had a big hand in converting me before I even knew how to make my own decisions...ha.

3. Going to 3rd grade...you know in the midst of the Stains AFC championship runs, I would go to school and there would be Browns celebrations. The thing that got to me was all these kids making (and wearing mind you) necklaces made of dog bone treats. I found that utterly disgusting and frankly just dumb. That turned the tides officially for me...and a few years later I rocked my Bubby Brister tshirt around school alot. ha.

RuthlessBurgher
10-10-2008, 10:47 AM
I, like Buckeye Hoppy, come from Stainsville. Born in 1979 ( :cry: just missed the glory days) and raised outside of Cleveland. Grew up in a Browns household. Lucky for me I had 3 driving factors that led me to the Black and Gold.

1. My first football card when I was like 3 or 4 years old that I cherished was a John Stallworth card. Don't ask me why. The uniform and just the picture of him catching the ball, I don't know, I liked it.

2. My cousin. He was older and lived through most of the Steel Curtain days. I think he had a big hand in converting me before I even knew how to make my own decisions...ha.

3. Going to 3rd grade...you know in the midst of the Stains AFC championship runs, I would go to school and there would be Browns celebrations. The thing that got to me was all these kids making (and wearing mind you) necklaces made of dog bone treats. I found that utterly disgusting and frankly just dumb. That turned the tides officially for me...and a few years later I rocked my Bubby Brister tshirt around school alot. ha.

The question is, though, did you also rock the Bubby Brister mullet in those days? :wink:

Sugar
10-10-2008, 11:58 AM
This seemed like a good place for my first post.

I'm not from Pittsburgh, nor have I ever lived there. I've been a few times and it seems like a cool enough place. I'll probably never live there.

When I was a kid, I was looking at a flashlight battery that had that Steel logo on it and asked the babysitter what it was. She said that it was a steel symbol and that there was a football team that had that same symbol on their helmets. She's a Browns fan to this day, but it got me interested to know more. I saw the team on TV and got into it. My parents noticed my interest and bought Terry Bradshaw's autobiography when I was about 12 or so. I would see the NFL films vid's on the Steel Curtain and particulary liked Jack Lambert. I ended up getting my brothers into the Steelers as well. It's just something that built over time.

It's funny because I'm originally from Michigan (now living in Bengal-land), and the Spartans and Wolverines are OK to pull for if I'm gonna watch college ball. But aside from that, NONE of my favorite sports teams have anything to do with where I live (Lakers, Braves, Steelers).

MeetJoeGreene
10-10-2008, 12:27 PM
This seemed like a good place for my first post.

I'm not from Pittsburgh, nor have I ever lived there. I've been a few times and it seems like a cool enough place. I'll probably never live there.

When I was a kid, I was looking at a flashlight battery that had that Steel logo on it and asked the babysitter what it was. She said that it was a steel symbol and that there was a football team that had that same symbol on their helmets. She's a Browns fan to this day, but it got me interested to know more. I saw the team on TV and got into it. My parents noticed my interest and bought Terry Bradshaw's autobiography when I was about 12 or so. I would see the NFL films vid's on the Steel Curtain and particulary liked Jack Lambert. I ended up getting my brothers into the Steelers as well. It's just something that built over time.

It's funny because I'm originally from Michigan (now living in Bengal-land), and the Spartans and Wolverines are OK to pull for if I'm gonna watch college ball. But aside from that, NONE of my favorite sports teams have anything to do with where I live (Lakers, Braves, Steelers).

That is a sweet story Sugar - and welcome to the board.

Iron Shiek
10-10-2008, 12:32 PM
No Bubby Mullet (Bubllet?) for me Ruthless.

Welcome Sugar.

proudpittsburgher
10-10-2008, 01:02 PM
No Bubby Mullet (Bubllet?) for me Ruthless.

Welcome Sugar.

Man, how can you not like a guy who started every single sentence in postgame interviews with the same three words. He1l, Da3m, Sh1t

frankthetank1
10-10-2008, 01:07 PM
welcome sugar. its funny when i was little we had this old metal dishwasher and it also had the steeler logo on it so i just assumed it was either made by the steelers or some company really liked the steelers a lot

Iron Shiek
10-10-2008, 04:06 PM
welcome sugar. its funny when i was little we had this old metal dishwasher and it also had the steeler logo on it so i just assumed it was either made by the steelers or some company really liked the steelers a lot

HA! Awesome. My old refrigerator when I was growing up had that logo too. I thought it was freakin cool.

RuthlessBurgher
10-10-2008, 04:13 PM

HA! Awesome. My old refrigerator when I was growing up had that logo too. I thought it was freakin cool.

My toilet has the Browns logo on it at least once a day. :lol:

:brownssuck

Ozey74
10-10-2008, 04:18 PM

:Clap

That is some funny s#it!! (pun intended)

Sugar
10-10-2008, 05:55 PM

That's the funniest thing I've read all day!! :Agree

Thanks everyone!!