PDA

View Full Version : Ruining the Game

BigBen2112
10-08-2008, 09:43 AM
Is anyone else just really upset with what is going on in the game of football right now?

Jets safety Smith LOST his appeal of suspension for his hit on Boldin. He was fined AND suspended for his helmet-to-helmet hit...a hit that would not have been helmet-to-helmet had it not been for:

With 27 seconds remaining and the Jets leading big, Boldin tried to catch a pass from Kurt Warner in the end zone, but was hit in the back by Kerry Rhodes.

As Boldin was falling forward, he then took a shot to his helmet from Smith. After being worked on for several minutes, Boldin was immobilized and placed on a stretcher before he was carted off the field.

Smith was briefly knocked unconscious by the hit and felt groggy afterward.
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3631881

There were extenuating circumstances that caused the problem and SMITH HIMSELF WAS HURT! But because he was not a STAR OFFENSIVE player he was screwed over.

I feel completely upset about the ruining of the game that is occurring in the NFL etc.

Harrison gets flagged for a CLEAN hit...but KNOWING that Ben had a hurt shoulder FatA$$ Rodgers doesnt get a flag for his OBVIOUS late hit and he doesn't get fined.

Harrison gets suspended, and rightly so, for his comments about the officials, BUT the NFL doesnt come out and admit the CLEAR mistake.

Furthermore, the officials are not full time employees and clearly act like it. They ARENT professionals and they DONT ACT PROFESSIONALLY!

I mean seriously, the sideline referee who flagged Washington for his taunting penalty had NEVER seen a taunting penalty before? Or is he just flamboyant in general? He needs to SHOW UP THE PLAYERS? And be generally disrespectful about it?

This game is a "no fun" league and even more than that it is becoming a SISSY league...a league that takes more pride in the big plays and offense then the tough defenses that many traditional fans love.

This is a league RUN BY the Randy Mosses, TOs, and others.

TO doesn't get fined by the league for his consistent sh*t, but because Harrison was talking about the SH*TTY officials that the league employs and how they affect the outcomes of game with their STUPIDITY he gets fined.

If Harrison was talking about how his teammates suck and how he's not given respect as the best player in the world and how everyone can bow down and kiss his a$$ then he'd be lauded as a great player.

You cant hit the QB below the knees...you cant even accidentally (look at the Ravens game) touch his head....you cant hit him AS HE throws the ball...you cant line up a WR to hit him and then hit him after the ball was tipped, thus being a little late....

But what you can do is belittle the fans and other teammates....what you can do is cover up cheating by coaches and teams....what you can do is take the physical play out of the NFL....what you can do is employ officials that are LESS THAN professional and rarely get the calls right (and yes, they do seem more and more this year, including replays, to be getting the calls WRONG)....you can employ and continually use some officials who have consistently made wrong calls and have had to have the league office apologize for their inability and stupidity on a regular basis.................all that you can do.

But heaven forbid you play some defense.

Dont touch a WR after 5 yards....dont play good press coverage.....let's give a facade of protecting the athletes while NOT PROTECTING THE INTEGRITY OF THE GAME!

This game is about going out on the field to LEAVE IT ALL out there and play hard every play...to make the biggest hit every single time...to play smart...to play with intensity....and today's players simply lack most of that, and those who DONT...end up being flagged and fined by the league.

The Purdue coach is retiring because he is sick of the players who dont consistently give it their all and who DONT LOVE THE GAME! You consistently hear more and more newer players not really knowing what is going on at their alma maters...when that would not be the case before. You hear more and more about "ME ME ME" and a lot less about team. You see much less, players who go out there and give it their all and love the game.

I :Clap :Clap :Clap Smith for his hit on Boldin...why? Because he was there to make sure the play was broken up. There was NO WAY he could have known that his teammate was going to hit Boldin from behind and push Boldin forward and thus he could not have known he was going to hit Boldin with his helmet. He WASNT intending to hurt anyone...HE WAS INTENDING TO DO HIS DAMN F*CKING JOB! And I applaud him for that.

I applaud Harrison for his words, others will disagree and I dont care. He was RIGHT. What is he supposed to do? Run in there full bore and then just stop if he THINKS that the QB might throw the ball and wait and see if he does? What is he supposed to just come to a stop? What if Garrard had pump faked...what if he saw Harrison coming and pulled the ball down to avoid a fumble from the hit? Harrison would look like a dumba$$ for not doing his job.

I say f*ck you to the officials and the league office who are ruining the game and are making it sickening to watch. I say f*ck you to the league office who wont employ full-time officials, and thus eliminate any consequences for the actions of officials. Tell me what consequences they have? Huh? What do they lose if they f*ck up? NOTHING! Harrison is right...fine their a$$e$. Make them full-time employees and fine them for their incorrect calls...and make it known PUBLICALLY. Make consequences.

I forgot...the league office and Roger Goodell only hold players accountable for actions not applicable to anything about the league.

The double standards are disgusting...disturbing...dishonorable...not Goodell's job...and are ruining the game.

Im sick of these over paid pansies who worry about themselves more than about love of the game and for entertaining the paying public...and I hate EVEN MORE that the league office promotes less physicality and less love of the game by essentially telling players not to do their job to the fullest.

The game is being ruined and Goodell is asleep at the wheel...and honestly he can simply go to hell because he clearly doesn't give a damn.

Rock on Harrison and I hope you continue to do your job no matter the flags and fines...and I hope next time you tell the FO to go f*ck off and let the players actually play the game!

frankthetank1
10-08-2008, 09:53 AM
i agree but its been this way for the last 10 years or so. the hit on boldin i thought was clean but the hit on trent edwards this past week shouldnt even of been a penalty. that was absolutely crazy. just because edwards was knocked out doesnt mean it was a dirty hit. now im not sure if anyone remembers this but i think either hilliard or toomer was hit by maybe brian dawkins i think like 5 years ago and knocked him out for the season. that was one of the dirtiest hits i have ever seen. i think if they are going to protect a player it should be a wr that is defensless and a ball that the wr will obviously not catch. the hit by sean rogers on ben in week 2 was far worse than any hits that have warrented fines this season. my opinion is its football, let them hit each other

BigBen2112
10-08-2008, 09:57 AM
I wonder how Goodell finally got selected as commissioner. He was NOT the clear choice, but finally he was selected after 5 votes...

Goodell's selection as Commissioner following the retirement of Paul Tagliabue came as no surprise, but it was not a fait accompli. Tagliabue initiated a substantive, wide ranging search for his successor, appointing a committee headed by owners Jerry Richardson of the Carolina Panthers and Dan Rooney of the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Goodell was one of five finalists, joining Gregg Levy, Frederick Nance, Robert Reynolds, and Mayo Shattuck III. With 22 votes from the owners being needed to make a choice, Goodell, who oddsmakers had installed as a prohibitive 2:5 favorite to be selected, only garnered 15 votes to Levy's 13, with three votes scattered among the other candidates and the Oakland Raiders abstaining.
On the second and third ballots, Goodell and Levy were the only candidates to receive votes (Goodell 17, Levy 14). Goodell increased his lead to 21–10 after the fourth ballot, falling one vote shy of election, but on the fifth round of voting two owners swung their votes to him to achieve the necessary two-thirds majority.[3] The Oakland Raiders abstained from the voting in each round.
Goodell was chosen on August 8, 2006, to succeed Paul Tagliabue and assumed office on September 1—the date Tagliabue set to leave office.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Goodell#cite_note-Maske-2

Wonder how much better Levy would be.

frankthetank1
10-08-2008, 10:12 AM
I wonder how Goodell finally got selected as commissioner. He was NOT the clear choice, but finally he was selected after 5 votes...

Goodell's selection as Commissioner following the retirement of Paul Tagliabue came as no surprise, but it was not a fait accompli. Tagliabue initiated a substantive, wide ranging search for his successor, appointing a committee headed by owners Jerry Richardson of the Carolina Panthers and Dan Rooney of the Pittsburgh Steelers.
Goodell was one of five finalists, joining Gregg Levy, Frederick Nance, Robert Reynolds, and Mayo Shattuck III. With 22 votes from the owners being needed to make a choice, Goodell, who oddsmakers had installed as a prohibitive 2:5 favorite to be selected, only garnered 15 votes to Levy's 13, with three votes scattered among the other candidates and the Oakland Raiders abstaining.
On the second and third ballots, Goodell and Levy were the only candidates to receive votes (Goodell 17, Levy 14). Goodell increased his lead to 21–10 after the fourth ballot, falling one vote shy of election, but on the fifth round of voting two owners swung their votes to him to achieve the necessary two-thirds majority.[3] The Oakland Raiders abstained from the voting in each round.
Goodell was chosen on August 8, 2006, to succeed Paul Tagliabue and assumed office on September 1—the date Tagliabue set to leave office.
http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Roger_Goodell#cite_note-Maske-2

Wonder how much better Levy would be.

kraft also had a hand in goodell being comissioner. i hate goodell but the league being over protective is not goodell's fault. its been this way for a long time now. besides i think anyone else would look like a bad comish compared to tagliabue

BigBen2112
10-09-2008, 08:53 PM
And again I am proved correct as TWO MORE players are fined by the NFL...Ward and Clark fined for hits...what a complete and utter farce.

SteelTorch
10-09-2008, 09:49 PM
Officiating has always been bad, but...this year, it seems to be especially bad. With a bunch of bad calls that even make headlines and fines being handed out like candy (half of them to the Steelers), it really makes you shake your head. I'll bet you a bunch of this just stems from Goodell's petty agenda to assert his authority.

Question: did anyone on the Browns ever get fined for practically gouging out McGahee's eye?

steelblood
10-10-2008, 07:23 AM
I agree about this particular hit. There should not have been a fine. But, players in general lead with their helmets when tackling. If players kept their heads/faces up, there would be fewer injuries to offensive players and tacklers (see kevin everett). I'm not sure what to do about this issue. I don't know if it can be policed in a manner that will bring about change. But, as the father of two boys who love football, I certainly understand the reasoning behind the rules.

BigBen2112
10-10-2008, 09:08 AM
No the Turdstains never get fined for anything...not for the hit on Ben or the gouging of McGahee's eyes.

Again, double standards!