PDA

View Full Version : Reed to miss time?

SteelerNation1
10-06-2008, 10:02 PM
I am watching Sportsbeat now and they are reporting skippy has a "bad" calf strain. He may miss a month. They are also reporting that if ben didn't hit hines on That gw TD mitch Berger would have had to kick the potential game winner. This is bad

MeetJoeGreene
10-06-2008, 10:06 PM
I am watching Sportsbeat now and they are reporting skippy has a "bad" calf strain. He may miss a month. They are also reporting that if ben didn't hit hines on That gw TD mitch Berger would have had to kick the potential game winner. This is bad

that is terrible news. did he get it making that tackle on the kick return.

in all our discussions about players we would miss the most from injury, did anyone mention Skippy? Because that could really bite us.

BigBen2112
10-06-2008, 10:11 PM
This would be a HORRIBLE injury.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-06-2008, 10:12 PM
We are getting hammered by injuries. I wondered why Berger made that last kick.

phillyesq
10-06-2008, 10:41 PM
This is really terrible.

But, if the Giants can find a guy like John Carney out there, I'm sure that the Steelers will be able to find someone halfway respectable.

Starlifter
10-06-2008, 11:02 PM
oh god, isn't vanderjerk out there somewhere????...........they couldn't (but i still just threw up in my mouth a little bit...)

update: i just watched the evening news here in the burgh and skippy wasn't mentioned. is this verified?

Shawn
10-06-2008, 11:07 PM
Kickers are never worth drafting until your unfreezable psychopath goes down with a calf strain. :D

Seriously though this is bad...and I think we could see how valuable a money kicker is to a team. Lets hope he heals quick.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-06-2008, 11:23 PM
oh god, isn't vanderjerk out there somewhere????...........they couldn't (but i still just threw up in my mouth a little bit...)

update: i just watched the evening news here in the burgh and skippy wasn't mentioned. is this verified?

Idiot kicker? Is he the guy that we beat in '05?

I don't know if the NFL karma gods would allow that, there might be a plague of frogs or something.

Starlifter
10-06-2008, 11:35 PM
yes that's him. no way we would ever pick him up - i just had a moment of panic.

stlrz d
10-06-2008, 11:44 PM

I can't find anything on it. This is the closest a google news search on Jeff Reed produces:

http://canadianpress.google.com/article ... RaJkYcAv9Q (http://canadianpress.google.com/article/ALeqM5gt6kgh7PM3ILLEj25uRaJkYcAv9Q)

There was added pressure on Roethlisberger, too, on a possession that began with the Steelers down 21-20. Kicker Jeff Reed injured his groin, and it's uncertain whether he could have attempted a winning field goal or how close he would have needed to be to try one.

It also stated it was a groin and not a calf.

Mel Blount's G
10-07-2008, 12:00 AM
I don't like this at ALL. Reed is our potential team mvp at this stage in the game.

We best be thinking about using all 4 downs depending on our field position for now on. I do not want to see mburger kicking a 48 yarder on a 4th and 1 unless there are 2 seconds left in the game or half

FYI: Vanderjadgtmeoff currently plays for the Toronto Argonauts (CFL) (which btw, is one of if not THE worst team in that league)

Starlifter
10-07-2008, 12:05 AM
wow, banished to the great white north. somewhere peyton is smiling.........

frankthetank1
10-07-2008, 07:53 AM
i cant believe this shi$. what an awful season for injuries. i dont remember the last time the steelers had a kicker that was injured. what a joke. hopefully the next few games are blowouts and we dont need a kicker

phillyesq
10-07-2008, 07:56 AM

I don't know if the NFL karma gods would allow that, there might be a plague of frogs or something.

I half think he missed that kick just to spite Manning. I was almost waiting for him to pull out a terrible tower from under his colts uniform after how badly he missed that kick.

frankthetank1
10-07-2008, 07:58 AM

I half think he missed that kick just to spite Manning. I was almost waiting for him to pull out a terrible tower from under his colts uniform after how badly he missed that kick.

wasnt it a kick from the 40-50 yard range? i mean it was definetly not a chip shot by any means.

Oviedo
10-07-2008, 08:04 AM
I read this morning that it is his plant leg not his kicking leg and he should be OK coming out of the bye.

Reed injured
As the Steelers drove toward what might have been the winning field goal in the closing minutes of Sunday night's game, it started to become apparent on their sideline that they could not try a field goal with Jeff Reed. His left calf, his plant leg, was injured at some point in the game and he was unavailable. Punter Mitch Berger was practicing kicking into the net as the Steelers drew within field-goal range -- but whose range?

Jacksonville coach Jack Del Rio said he expected the Steelers to run when they had third down at the Jaguars' 31, trailing by a point with 2:57 left in the game. Pick up a few more yards and let Reed try a field goal of 46-49 yards. Reed's injury was unbeknownst to Del Rio, though, until after the game.

Instead, Ben Roethlisberger dropped back and scrambled to his left with a defender hanging on him on that third down. He threw an 18-yard pass completion to Hines Ward that set up the winning touchdown pass with 1:53 left.

The Steelers went for two points, unsuccessfully, and then Berger kicked off.

Reed is expected to be OK in time for their next game Oct. 19.

MeetJoeGreene
10-07-2008, 08:08 AM
I heard that he is undergoing extensive alternate healing for his groin ... something involving Peanut Butter and bright flashes.

AngryAsian
10-07-2008, 08:17 AM
Talk about a gauntlet this year. We've been so focused on the type of gauntlet that other teams pose for us, having the toughest schedule since the 76 Giants (per ESPN)... how could we ever factor in the gauntlet that our team injuries pose on us. We come out of this with a SB trophy, we most certainly should be considered as the greatest team... EVER!

Ozey74
10-07-2008, 08:29 AM
Not a good year for kickers or groins for the Steelers this year. I never thought I'd say this, but I'm glad I'm not watching Steeler football this weekend. I usually dread the boredom of bye week. Not this week. We need our rest & I'm glad we have this week.

:tt2

proudpittsburgher
10-07-2008, 09:47 AM

wasnt it a kick from the 40-50 yard range? i mean it was definetly not a chip shot by any means.

It was closer to 40 than 50, if I remember, but he was money back then, and being indoors, it was a close to a chip shot as he was going to get. That being said, I have never seen a kicker miss a kick, that wasn't tipped or blocked, that far right or left. That was the mis**** of all mis****s. Hitting a ball that poorly is the only thing, in my mind, that would give creedance to the argument that he missed it on purpose to spite the jackarse known as Peyton Manning.

Iron Shiek
10-07-2008, 10:17 AM
i cant believe this shi$. what an awful season for injuries. i dont remember the last time the steelers had a kicker that was injured. what a joke. hopefully the next few games are blowouts and we dont need a kicker

Don't forget the punter is out for the year too! Schnikees...this is just a horrible injury year. It seems worse than normal to me...we are severely depleted.

frankthetank1
10-07-2008, 10:22 AM

Don't forget the punter is out for the year too! Schnikees...this is just a horrible injury year. It seems worse than normal to me...we are severely depleted.

it has been worse than normal. i almost forgot about sep, but at least berger has been ok. berger is very good at pinning the ball inside the 10 but his distance is lacking. a punter im pretty convinced is easily replaceable, but a kicker especially one as good as reed is not