PDA

View Full Version : Another stat to ponder

stlrz d
10-06-2008, 08:18 PM
Our D currently has collected 18 sacks in 5 games. That projects to 57.6 for the season...round up to 58.

We had 55 in 2001, which looks to be one of our best seasons.

NFL.com only goes back as far as 1982 (34 in 9 games - strike season) so I'm not sure what we had before then, but of course comparisons should be made on a 16 game season. I guess if you wanted to you could find what they did in the 70s super bowls seasons and pro rate (The NFL went to a 16 game schedule in '78). In '95 (XXX) we had 42. In '05 (XL) we had 47.

Fact is, this Steelers team is getting to the opposition's quarterback at a pace better than 2 of our super bowl teams! As far as I can tell anyway...if someone does the work it may show that the Steel Curtain teams did better in the regular season.

Now if we can just keep 'em away from ours we might be alright! :tt2

Flasteel
10-06-2008, 09:39 PM
Our D currently has collected 18 sacks in 5 games. That projects to 57.6 for the season...round up to 58.

NFL.com only goes back as far as 1982 (34 in 9 games - strike season) so I'm not sure what we had before then, but of course comparisons should be made on a 16 game season. I guess if you wanted to you could find what they did in the 70s super bowls seasons and pro rate (The NFL went to a 16 game schedule in '78). In '95 (XXX) we had 42. In '05 (XL) we had 47.

Fact is, this Steelers team is getting to the opposition's quarterback at a pace better than 2 of our super bowl teams! As far as I can tell anyway...if someone does the work it may show that the Steel Curtain teams did better in the regular season.

1982 was the first year the league began keeping track of sacks, so good luck trying to find any totals for teams prior to that season. I really don't care about how well they do as compared to any other team or season as long as they continue to put the heat on at the same clip they are now.

stlrz d
10-06-2008, 09:42 PM

1982 was the first year the league began keeping track of sacks, so good luck trying to find any totals for teams prior to that season. I really don't care about how well they do as compared to any other team or season as long as they continue to put the heat on at the same clip they are now.

I forgot about that. But I'm sure someone has gone back and looked at those games. I'm just too lazy to look. :oops:

Flasteel
10-06-2008, 09:54 PM
[quote="stlrz d":s4fgimiu]Our D currently has collected 18 sacks in 5 games. That projects to 57.6 for the season...round up to 58.

I forgot about that. But I'm sure someone has gone back and looked at those games. I'm just too lazy to look. :oops:[/quote:s4fgimiu]

You're probably right to assume that some stat geek that works for Elias or ESPN sat in some dark room for a couple of years pouring over old game footage. Then again, I haven't heard Deacon Jones come out with any of that as evidence for his unofficial sack crown, so who knows. I just know that I have far better things to do myself. :Beer

stlrz d
10-06-2008, 09:56 PM
I meant I'm too lazy to look to see if anyone ELSE has done it! :D

RuthlessBurgher
10-07-2008, 02:20 AM
James Harrison's 6.5 sacks and LaMarr Woodley's 5.5 sacks rank 2nd and 3rd in the league right now. They are both averaging more than a sack per game so far. If they keep this up, you could potentially have 2 guys that get more than 16 sacks in a season. The team record, by the way, is 15 sacks in a season by Mike Merriwether.

:tt2 :Steel :tt1

Oviedo
10-07-2008, 08:01 AM
I said in the off season that 50+ should be the goal for sacks for a Steeler defense every year. If you nexceed 50 you are getting tons of pressure on the opponents QB and helping the DBs immensely.

If the refs would actually call the holding calls against Woodley we would even be doing better. I counted at least 5 times Sunday night he was clearly held with no call.

stlrz d
10-07-2008, 08:04 AM
I said in the off season that 50+ should be the goal for sacks for a Steeler defense every year. If you nexceed 50 you are getting tons of pressure on the opponents QB and helping the DBs immensely.

If the refs would actually call the holding calls against Woodley we would even be doing better. I counted at least 5 times Sunday night he was clearly held with no call.

I have been noticing this for several years actually, and having Sunday Ticket this year has allowed me to see even more games.

It appears to me the officials aren't calling the obvious holds on outside pass rushers. They basically let the OTs get away with a "clothsline" block on the outside pass rushers and it seems they only call it if the OT grabs jersey or gets his hands in the face of the rusher.

It's sad really, but they "gotta" protect that QB investment. :HeadBanger

Oviedo
10-07-2008, 08:27 AM

I have been noticing this for several years actually, and having Sunday Ticket this year has allowed me to see even more games.

It appears to me the officials aren't calling the obvious holds on outside pass rushers. They basically let the OTs get away with a "clothsline" block on the outside pass rushers and it seems they only call it if the OT grabs jersey or gets his hands in the face of the rusher.

It's sad really, but they "gotta" protect that QB investment. :HeadBanger

Here is a quote from Tunch Ilkin's post game article. He says it all from a former player's perspective. It is ridiculous what they are doing to Woodley and getting away with.

LaMarr Woodley thrashed Jax's RB corps every time they tried to block him on a pass play. What mystified me was how they got away with hanging all over LaMarr time and again, even leg-whipping on one play, all to no call. By the end of the game you couldn't even see Woodley's number on his chest, so stretched and crumpled up was his jersey from all the holding. And it was in plain view of the referee. He mustíve been too busy making sure no one hit Garrard to notice.

stlrz d
10-07-2008, 06:57 PM
Nice one Tunch!