PDA

View Full Version : Interesting PittLive Topic: Ref's Trying to help Jags?

BigBen2112
10-06-2008, 08:13 PM
MisterPittsburgh wrote:
Seemed to me like something shady was up with the ref's.

9:12 on the clock with the Jags holding a 21-20 lead and it is 3rd & 7 and Harrison hits Gerrard just as he throws the ball. Completely clean. The ball is caught and is a 5 yard gain. Would have been 4th & 2 but the penalty gives then a first down and moves them from around their own 20 to the 37 yard line.

4:40 on the clock and the Jags still holding a 21-20 lead. On 3rd & 3 Nate Washington catches a 12 yard pass for a first down which would have put the ball at the Jags 45 yard line....their coach is signalling that it wasn't a catch so Nate hold the ball up. The ref runs in acting like Nate spit in his face and calls an unsportsmanlike moving the ball back to our own 40.

On this drive we go down and end up getting the TD to Ward that to me was apparent he had his feet in but they review it just to be sure. Then they never reset the play clock after the review and there is chaos and we end up taking a penalty which moves our conversion attempt to the 7 yard line. We don't get the conversion.

I was waiting for a couple interference or roughing the passer calls on Jax last posession but nothing was called. That drive where we went ahead though was shady as hell.
http://discuss.pittsburghlive.com/viewtopic.php?f=2&t=139342

I think Washington was correct to get flagged but the Jag's coach DEFINITELY said something to him...AND I think the ref went WAY over the top with being flamboyant in making the call...that was disrespectful and unnecessary.

The playclock+Harrison calls are INSANELY bad. I think that the league SHOULD make an inquiry into Winters and his crew and their beef with the Steelers.

I dont think the refs are as much to blame MANY times as much as they are blamed for it, but there are CLEAR examples of refs who should NOT be able to be officials any more, specifically for teams that they have a history of screwing over.

Officiating has gotten worse and worse...there are FAR too few GOOD refs with GOOD intentions than those who really dont seem to give a damn about the teams or the fans who the game is intended for.

I am sorry but that call against Washington the way it was acted out by the ref REALLY rubbed me the wrong way, and even MADDEN said something about which is saying something. That was SO disrespectful.

stlrz d
10-06-2008, 08:23 PM
I'm not gonna go on and on about the refs...I hate it when people do that. Bad calls were made on both sides. Look at the taunting call on the Washington play. Lame...but it got us 15.

BigBen2112
10-06-2008, 08:36 PM
I'm not gonna go on and on about the refs...I hate it when people do that. Bad calls were made on both sides. Look at the taunting call on the Washington play. Lame...but it got us 15.

What Washington play? The one that cost us 15 yards?

And I am simply complaining about how I think refs need to decide whether to keep the flag in their pockets or throw it more...but its too inconsistent honestly.

SteelTorch
10-06-2008, 08:53 PM
I think that further reinforces one of our points: that officiating has been getting worse. And let's not forget the infamous call that cost the Chargers the game against the Broncos. A few bad calls here and there is one thing, but this seems to be happening regularly now. I'm not going to buy into the whole conspiracy that the refs are against us (I'll leave that to the Seahawks), but this is getting a little ridiculous.

BigBen2112
10-06-2008, 08:58 PM
I think that further reinforces one of our points: that officiating has been getting worse. And let's not forget the infamous call that cost the Chargers the game against the Broncos. A few bad calls here and there is one thing, but this seems to be happening regularly now. I'm not going to buy into the whole conspiracy that the refs are against us (I'll leave that to the Seahawks), but this is getting a little ridiculous.

I dont know about conspiracy theories either...BUT...with Winters continually blowing calls against the Steelers you do have to WONDER at least.

Mel Blount's G
10-06-2008, 09:05 PM
Nate needs to shut his trap. Period. He acts like he's burning people on a regular basis. Shut it Nate and let your play talk. This really agitates me. I thought he'd get a penalty on is TD when he was goading the db.

The clock thing on the 2 pt. conversion was a ref's flub imo. I really think refs should be fined just like players when they make a blatant error like this i.e. ed hochuli in the denver/sd game

The review on wards td was warranted and they didn't spend much time on it to their credit. What bugs me is when they DON'T review a close call i.e a few years ago dallas vs. seattle keyshawn caught a game-clinching td in he back of the end zone inside 2 minutes. It wasn't reviewed and replays CLEARLY showed he only got one foot down. Aka - league handed dallas a game

stlrz d
10-06-2008, 09:15 PM

That's what I'm referring to. Someone from every team says the refs are against their team or for another team. I refuse to be that guy.

Benny - I wasn't singling you out (just for the record) and yes, I was talking about the play where Washington laid out for a pass, didn't get it, appeared to be hurt, the DB stood over him and said something...15 yards for taunting.

I agree the officiating seems to be having some "hiccups" as of late, but I'm still not gonna be that guy...I hate those guys.

proudpittsburgher
10-07-2008, 09:40 AM

What Washington play? The one that cost us 15 yards?

And I am simply complaining about how I think refs need to decide whether to keep the flag in their pockets or throw it more...but its too inconsistent honestly.

I think he was talking about the one earlier in the game where washington was hit hard, and clean, and the defender took his time walking away by standing overtop of him and looking down at him. Maybe he said something, I dunno.

That being said, I understand why the ref called the 15 yarder on Washington, but I also agree that he went way over the top with the drama before the head official made the call.

BigBen2112
10-07-2008, 10:24 AM
[quote="stlrz d":3all11mt]I'm not gonna go on and on about the refs...I hate it when people do that. Bad calls were made on both sides. Look at the taunting call on the Washington play. Lame...but it got us 15.

That's what I'm referring to. Someone from every team says the refs are against their team or for another team. I refuse to be that guy.

Benny - I wasn't singling you out (just for the record) and yes, I was talking about the play where Washington laid out for a pass, didn't get it, appeared to be hurt, the DB stood over him and said something...15 yards for taunting.

I agree the officiating seems to be having some "hiccups" as of late, but I'm still not gonna be that guy...I hate those guys.[/quote:3all11mt]

Yeah I just found the discussion interesting and posted it from the TRIB poster.

I do find it semi-coincidental, though, that the same ref continually has problems with the Steelers.

But then again Winters is consistently ranked one of the lowest refs so I guess he has problems with all teams LOL!

And without a DOUBT the sideline official was WAY over the top with the call, I thought it was disrespectful kinda...like he'd never seen a taunting call before?

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-07-2008, 10:48 AM
I always hate when people whine about refs "beings against" us. This was a poorly officiated game, but it would have been called differently if the refs were siding against us:

Jax got their share of fifteen yarders as well. They were not usually very blatant, and could have been overlooked by the crew.

The taunting call on Washington, while kind of ticky tack was legit. He pointed the ball directly at the sideline. The refs may not know what preceded it but it is well known that the one who acts last is the one who usually draws the flag.

Other flags like the Harrison penalty were just bad calls. Not biased but bad.

Iron Shiek
10-07-2008, 02:16 PM
Double post. Sorry.

Got the User Max Connections SQL Error (or whatever its called)

Iron Shiek
10-07-2008, 02:19 PM
And the officiating woes continue...unfortunately for Hochuli's crew in the Monday Nighter. Sirius NFL Radio has been all over it too.

And the saints had an unorthodoxed way of highlighting the blown call without technically calling out the officials:

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/07/saints-call-attention-to-blown-call/

this was not flagged...how freakin obvious does it have to be!

http://www.profootballtalk.com/wp-content/uploads/2008/10/vikingssaints.JPG

And there was another questionable call on a fumble apparently too...where the review yielded a response from hochuli to the effect of well the player fumbled but his knee hit the ground while his hand was still on the ball and then it came out so he is down. WTF!

http://www.profootballtalk.com/2008/10/07/hochulis-crew-screws-up-a-couple-more-calls/

YIKES!