PDA

View Full Version : Harrison (possibly) to be fined...

SteelTorch
10-06-2008, 04:06 PM
http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/08280/917859-66.stm

Steelers LB Harrison rips referee for penalty call
Monday, October 06, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

JACKSONVILLE -- Linebacker James Harrison hails from the same college as Jack Lambert, Kent State, and the two share the same view of quarterbacks -- and perhaps referees.

The Steelers received a 15-yard penalty at a crucial time in the fourth quarter Sunday night when Harrison was called for roughing Jacksonville quarterback David Garrard Sunday night. The Jaguars led 21-20 at the time and the penalty occurred as Garrard threw a 5-yard completion on third-and-7 at his 17.

Harrison called it a bad call because Garrard was in the process of throwing when he hit him, and he pulled back as the two hit the ground so not as to drive the quarterback into the grass.

"It was the most unbelievable penalty I've ever seen in my life,'' Harrison said. "If they're going to go and send me a letter saying they're going to fine me for unnecessary-whatever he called, I believe that is not a penalty. And when it comes down to it these refs should start getting fined for making bad calls."

The 15-yard penalty gave the Jaguars a first down at their 37, but the Steelers defense held, forced a punt and their offense mounted what would be the winning drive from its 20 with 6:33 left.

"I pulled off of him, I held myself from hitting the ground on top of him and this dude threw a flag," Harrison said. "Right as he was releasing the ball, I was hitting him. I don't see how he could call a flag on that, man, it's ridiculous.

"I didn't even take a step. As far as I'm concerned, he could have pumped the ball and if I'd have stopped and not continued through I would have looked like a fool."
First published on October 6, 2008 at 8:46 am

I'm still waiting for no-balls Goodell to fine Rogers' fat ass for that BLATANT cheap shot on Ben. :roll:

Mods, can we pretty-please-with-sugar-on-top remove ass from the censors? :P

Oviedo
10-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Total BS. Ben gets absolutely no protection from the referees and if you even breathe on this other QB jacka$$es our players are getting fined.

BigBen2112
10-06-2008, 04:12 PM
http://www.pittsburghpostgazette.com/pg/08280/917859-66.stm

Steelers LB Harrison rips referee for penalty call
Monday, October 06, 2008
By Ed Bouchette, Pittsburgh Post-Gazette

JACKSONVILLE -- Linebacker James Harrison hails from the same college as Jack Lambert, Kent State, and the two share the same view of quarterbacks -- and perhaps referees.

The Steelers received a 15-yard penalty at a crucial time in the fourth quarter Sunday night when Harrison was called for roughing Jacksonville quarterback David Garrard Sunday night. The Jaguars led 21-20 at the time and the penalty occurred as Garrard threw a 5-yard completion on third-and-7 at his 17.

Harrison called it a bad call because Garrard was in the process of throwing when he hit him, and he pulled back as the two hit the ground so not as to drive the quarterback into the grass.

"It was the most unbelievable penalty I've ever seen in my life,'' Harrison said. "If they're going to go and send me a letter saying they're going to fine me for unnecessary-whatever he called, I believe that is not a penalty. And when it comes down to it these refs should start getting fined for making bad calls."

The 15-yard penalty gave the Jaguars a first down at their 37, but the Steelers defense held, forced a punt and their offense mounted what would be the winning drive from its 20 with 6:33 left.

"I pulled off of him, I held myself from hitting the ground on top of him and this dude threw a flag," Harrison said. "Right as he was releasing the ball, I was hitting him. I don't see how he could call a flag on that, man, it's ridiculous.

"I didn't even take a step. As far as I'm concerned, he could have pumped the ball and if I'd have stopped and not continued through I would have looked like a fool."
First published on October 6, 2008 at 8:46 am

I'm still waiting for no-balls Goodell to fine Rogers' fat bad word for that BLATANT cheap shot on Ben. :roll:

GOOD FOR HARRISON!!!!

BRAVO!!!!!!!!

It was bullsh*t call and the REFS SHOULD BE FINED NOW TOO! Amen!

I hope the Steelers send a tape of a couple of calls in that game to the NFL office...oh and wasnt this the SAME crew who had to apologize to us after the playoff Jag's game?
:roll:

Jom112
10-06-2008, 04:23 PM
So those comments I don't think Harrison should get fined for. It was a horrible call at a crucial part of the game, so I can understand he wants to let out some of his frustration.

Now this comment on the other hand:

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 91823.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_591823.html)

"Ridiculous call," Harrison said. "You don't make a call like that. Unless (the official) might have money on it.

I don't care if the ref extended his leg and tripped Harrison on the way to sacking the QB, you just don't make a comment like that without getting fined...

BigBen2112
10-06-2008, 04:27 PM
So those comments I don't think Harrison should get fined for. It was a horrible call at a crucial part of the game, so I can understand he wants to let out some of his frustration.

http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 91823.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_591823.html)

"Ridiculous call," Harrison said. "You don't make a call like that. Unless (the official) might have money on it.

I don't care if the ref extended his leg and tripped Harrison on the way to sacking the QB, you just don't make a comment like that without getting fined...

Except when you take into account the fact that this SAME referee has screwed the Steelers over MULTIPLE times and has had to have the league APOLOGIZE to the Steelers for some of his horrible calls.

Seems like a pattern with him now doesnt it?

But I think that the NFL is RUINING its product by this stupid sh*tty calls they are focusing on so much.

Shawn
10-06-2008, 04:57 PM

I agree...but there is certainly some concern there.

proudpittsburgher
10-06-2008, 05:44 PM

bullcrap call on the officials part. But this isn;t a case of whether harrison was correct. Thsi is a case of the league not wanting to open a pandoras box.

BigBen2112
10-06-2008, 06:50 PM

bullcrap call on the officials part. But this isn;t a case of whether harrison was correct. Thsi is a case of the league not wanting to open a pandoras box.

Maybe if the league would actually allow its players, coaches, and fans to speak freely about the problems of the league we'd see proper advances in the game instead of hinderances to the sport.

Jom112
10-06-2008, 07:23 PM
Maybe if the league would actually allow its players, coaches, and fans to speak freely about the problems of the league we'd see proper advances in the game instead of hinderances to the sport.

No way, you can't let inmates run the asylum. That is what the competition committee is for.

You don't need coaches and especially players being able to criticize the refs however they please. Almost every single team that loses a close game will be crying foul if they did allow that. Last thing I want to hear is a bunch of grown men whining after every game...

BigBen2112
10-06-2008, 07:44 PM

No way, you can't let inmates run the asylum. That is what the competition committee is for.

You don't need coaches and especially players being able to criticize the refs however they please. Almost every single team that loses a close game will be crying foul if they did allow that. Last thing I want to hear is a bunch of grown men whining after every game...

And you're a Cincy fan? :wink: :lol: :lol:

But no, what I mean was I wish there was a productive, structured way that some players and coaches could discuss this stuff DURING the year because this is getting ridiculous.

Jom112
10-06-2008, 07:58 PM

And you're a Cincy fan? :wink: :lol: :lol:

But no, what I mean was I wish there was a productive, structured way that some players and coaches could discuss this stuff DURING the year because this is getting ridiculous.

I believe that is partly what the competition committee is for. Who knows if they work effectively or not but it is there for those kind of issues such as limiting bad calls from refs.

One of the things they did this offseason which I thought was smart was eliminating the 5 yard facemask, no need to let a ref decide how severe a facemask is just give the same yardage every time (Although personally I think 15 is a little steep).

I'm not sure if they can make any changes during the season though. That does need to happen...

AngryAsian
10-06-2008, 09:20 PM
Michaels and Madden both remarked that it was ticky-tack. Total BS, and even at the end he let up so that he didn't bury Garrard. BS.

buckeyehoppy
10-06-2008, 09:36 PM
If Harrison is fined, he should appeal the fine to the league office and say that he isn't paying a dime on a fine until Rogers gets fined for his more flagrant late hit on Ben. If he needs evidence, all he needs to do is take the tape to the league offices and roll it to state his case.

F--- this NFL, with their weekend warrior referees and catch-as-catch-can interpretation of the rules. The league should have full-time referees who get fined and fired for selective interpretation of the rule book. There's a lot of $$$ running through the NFL and to compromise the integrity of the game by having weekend warrior referees is unacceptable.

RuthlessBurgher
10-07-2008, 01:53 AM
1. Harrison should not have been flagged for his hit on Garrard.

2. Harrison should not be fined for his hit on Garrard.

3. Rogers should have been flagged for his hit on Roethlisberger.

4. Rogers should have been fined for his hit on Roethlisberger.

All that being said, if Harrison did question whether the officials were gambling on the outcome of a game they were officiating, he should be fined for those statements.

Mel Blount's G
10-07-2008, 03:24 AM
Next up: Players to be fined for tackling.

Harrison simply did not have the opportunity to stop from hitting gerrard as gerrard threw the ball as james was getting there from a full speed run. Now, had james drove him into the turf with all of his intention, strength and weight then fine away. However, the replay I saw showed James pulling his arms out and taking his weight off gerrard before and as he's taking gerrrd to the turf.

This stuff is really bumming me out. My favorite game since as long as I can remember is beginning to lose interest for me. Or, call/fine the jag D as they are twisting Ben to the ground like a pretzel. Or when the eagles are making him into the exorcist character by twisting his head completely around his neck by his facemask. Or after a pass is long gone and shaun rogers takes a couple more steps and throws his 365 lb shoulder into ben's injured shouler. Take the pads of and play flag. Just end all speculation and doubt and fine players for making a tackle. Fine players for those illegal chop blocks. What about the blocks that throw guys over the pile AFTER the play is over? What about when the titans lineman went after Merriman's knees in retallition when merriman put a late love tap on their sensitive and mentally-fragile vince young? Merriman's career may be done. Many bolt fans out there believe Jeff Fisher ordered this.

Sorry for the rant. There are a lot of places the league could look to improve the league i.e. the pats cheating and bending the rules in various areas (e.g. using IR players in practice) but a fine on harrison and the one on woodley are beyond ridiculous; they are detrimental to this game we all love. If this carries on I will do all in my limited power to prevent myself and anyone within ear/web shot to boycott any activity that puts money into this league. I hope it doesn't come to that. And folks, it's not just the homer talking: Suggs brushing against collins helmet with his hand this sunday for a penalty was also bullsh!t.

I'm going to bed now and will take my anger, bury it in a deep dark pit within my internal organs somewheres and wait for it to emerge as a kidney stone, a stomache ulcer or simply hemmorroid producing constipation.

Btw, STEELERS RULE!!!!!!!!

stlrz d
10-07-2008, 07:50 AM
Interesting...today a guy called into the Steve Czaban show on Fox Sports Radio to complain about this. They hadn't seen it but took his word for what happened (they were discussion officiating). I was going to email a link to the video to the show so they could see it for themselves...but it's not on the highlights. They Ryan Clark play is on there though...hmmmmmmmmm....

http://www.nfl.com/videos?videoId=09000d5d80b659ce

proudpittsburgher
10-07-2008, 09:30 AM
I think some of us are confusing the two things here. There is no doubt the call was total BS. But JOM is right, there are proper channels to voice your problems and complains. Even though they won't amount to a hill of beans, there are still proper channels. Hell, I would have thought better of Harrison if he went apeshat on the field, but he had time to think about it, and went somewhere, with the gambling allegations that he just shouldn't have. Call=BS. But you can't do what he did, the league has to tighten the straps, especially in light of the NBA stuff going on with gambling officials.

ikestops85
10-07-2008, 02:17 PM
C'mon guys ... there have been bad calls in football since the game was introduced. The only thing we can do about it is train the officials better and write the rules to rely less on the officials judgement. I think the roughing the passer call on silverback was BS as well as the PI in the endzone. I'm sure if you go to the Jags board you will find them complaining about different calls. In fact if you go to the board of each NFL team there are 2 things I guarantee you will find.

1) The officials are against them
2) The media doesn't give them enough respect

We get screwed on some calls but we also get some we shouldn't. I'd like to think it all evens out over the course of a season. What I really hate to hear is people spouting off that officials have a conspiracy against us or things of that nature. In order for the officials to have a conspiracy the owners would have to be in on it. What that would mean is the the owners are willing to gamble a multibillion dollar enterprise to be able to control the outcome of some games. I don't think they are that stupid ... even Jerry Jones and Dan Snyder know when they have it good.

Believe it or not I think the officials are trying to get it right. The problem is they are human and make mistakes ... just like the players.