PDA

View Full Version : Jets' Eric Smith to appeal suspension and fine

BigBen2112
10-06-2008, 02:31 PM
Jets safety Smith appealing 1-game ban, $50K fine for Boldin hit

Associated Press
Updated: October 6, 2008, 2:07 PM ET

FLORHAM PARK, N.J. -- New York Jets safety Eric Smith has appealed his one-game suspension and $50,000 fine by the NFL for his helmet-to-helmet hit last week on Arizona receiver Anquan Boldin.
Coach Eric Mangini said Smith was going through the appeal process Monday and a ruling was expected later in the day or Tuesday.

The league suspended Smith last Monday for committing a flagrant violation of player safety rules in New York's 56-35 win Sept. 28. In a statement, the NFL said Boldin was in a defenseless position when contact was made.

Copyright 2008 by The Associated Press
http://sports.espn.go.com/nfl/news/story?id=3628889

GOOD I hope he WINS.

Its sad that someone got hurt, but give me a break. He DID hit him with his helmet but if you watch the video replay the reason he hit him with his helmet is because the guy who hit Boldin from behind made Boldin's head kinda slump downward and that's why Smith hit him. It's part of the game...sad that Boldin is hurt, but a tragedy for the game if this is always going to happen on good hits.

Here's the video replay:
[youtube:2gfwt98a]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ub1_k1VA1C0[/youtube:2gfwt98a]

Actually you can see that Smith is shaken up on the play too. Boldin is hit from behind and his body leans forward and then Smith hits him and thus the issue. That shouldnt lead to a suspension.

Ghost
10-06-2008, 04:10 PM
Weren't you questioning me when I said this in another discussion? :D

I don't believe it was suspension worthy. He wasn't using his hemet as a weapon. He was flying across the field to break up a TD pass - just as he's coached and paid to do.

stlrz d
10-06-2008, 08:20 PM
These things should be looked at on a case by case basis. I don't think Smith intended to lead with the helmet and make helmet to helmet contact.

Mel Blount's G
10-06-2008, 08:43 PM
If this bullsh!t continues, it'll be lacrosse, hockey and australian rules football for this spectator :evil:

And I don't see jack in your "replay" thingy.

BigBen2112
10-06-2008, 08:45 PM
If this bullsh!t continues, it'll be lacrosse, hockey and australian rules football for this spectator :evil:

And I don't see jack in your "replay" thingy.

Yeah the feature isnt working for some reason.