PDA

View Full Version : Moore Needs to get MORE touches

MeetJoeGreene
10-06-2008, 12:01 PM
First let me say that I am the world's biggest Parker waffler. I really run hot and cold with him.

Moore REALLY impressed me last night - in ALL phases. He needs to be more significant action from here on out.

I watched a couple of his runs and had the following thoughts in succession.

-- Man if Parker was out in this open space, he would have turned it into a touchdown.
-- Wait, did you see how Moore just flowed and picked the right holes and openings? Parker probably wouldn't have done that.
-- Plus Parker would have been tripped up a lot easier than Moore.

AngryAsian
10-06-2008, 01:01 PM
Moore is a very fluid runner and he's patient. I think Moore is the change/utility back we need . The guy has great hands and gives new dimension to our needs to stretch an opposing defense. The question is not whether Moore needs to get more touches... I think it is whether we need to have plays that integrate our specific backs' talents for desired affects.

The frustrating point for me as a fan has been the fact that we don't use our depth to our advantage. Bringing specific skillsets that each back brings only will confuse opposing defenses and will make it difficult for them to prepare for our offensive schemes. For the Bungle game, I'd like to come and smash them Davenport/Russell... slash them with stunted draws or passes to the flat with Moore.... and then hit a home run with the speed of Parker.

Depth will insure that we keep our players fresh and most definitely help ward off the injury bug. I think trying to "run the wheels off" one particular back in today's NFL is not only foolish but will end up destroying the depth you have. I hope the coaching staff recognizes the value in using our depth to its advantage, for not only our RBs but in our receivers as well (Welcome back Mr. Heath Miller.... we missed you!)

Oviedo
10-06-2008, 01:09 PM
With Mendenhall out, I want to see more of Gary Russell. Heck. Keep Carey Davis on the sidelines and keep Miller or McHugh in the backfield. They both appear to be better blockers than Davis anyway. IMO for not playing much, Russell ran with power, showed bursts of speed and showed he was a decent blocker (although he can improve). Keep this guy active on gameday.

Jooser
10-06-2008, 01:21 PM
Moore's verstility reminded me of another back last night. I think he's got some skill sets like Brian Westbrook. He's shifty, catches the ball well, and makes people miss alot in the open field to net an extra yard or two. I have to agree that he needs to be a more integral part of our offense. Russell impressed me two. His speed surprised the heck outa me on the run around the left end. We'll see how it all shakes out I guess, but it was a nice change of pace last night watching our backs consistently picking up yards.

:tt2

frankthetank1
10-06-2008, 01:40 PM
the steelers have so much depth at rb this year. i really liked what i saw of both moore and russell. i didnt realize how fast russell really is.

AngryAsian
10-06-2008, 01:54 PM
Moore's verstility reminded me of another back last night. I think he's got some skill sets like Brian Westbrook. He's shifty, catches the ball well, and makes people miss alot in the open field to net an extra yard or two. I have to agree that he needs to be a more integral part of our offense. Russell impressed me two. His speed surprised the heck outa me on the run around the left end. We'll see how it all shakes out I guess, but it was a nice change of pace last night watching our backs consistently picking up yards.

Amen on the BW reference. 99 yards on his first start.... a sign of a really good team is being able to insert bodies into the game plan and executing without missing a beat. I think the injuries has forced us to get creative with the schemes and in doing so has opened a world of possibilities of what this offense is capable of with the various pieces we have in place. I can't imagine what we would of done to the Eagles if we implemented adjustments like we did last night. Our line is still unhealthy, but we were able to rattle off enough pass protection for Ben to sling 300+ yards and 3 tds. No huddles, stunted draws, passes out in the flat, short precision passes to slot receivers and TEs, and interchanging backfield personnel to keep the legs fresh and introduce differing looks.... all these things stretch defenses and are very difficult to game plan for. We just need to throw the 7 step drop plays out and out for good.

proudpittsburgher
10-07-2008, 09:58 AM

Amen on the BW reference. 99 yards on his first start.... a sign of a really good team is being able to insert bodies into the game plan and executing without missing a beat. I think the injuries has forced us to get creative with the schemes and in doing so has opened a world of possibilities of what this offense is capable of with the various pieces we have in place. I can't imagine what we would of done to the Eagles if we implemented adjustments like we did last night. Our line is still unhealthy, but we were able to rattle off enough pass protection for Ben to sling 300+ yards and 3 tds. No huddles, stunted draws, passes out in the flat, short precision passes to slot receivers and TEs, and interchanging backfield personnel to keep the legs fresh and introduce differing looks.... all these things stretch defenses and are very difficult to game plan for. We just need to throw the 7 step drop plays out and out for good.

And what you said is the reason I am not jumping on BA this week. I thought the gameplan was solid on Sunday night. Doesn;t make up for the crappy gameplans the first three weeksn, but Sunday was solid. Even though it was against a Jacksonville team who admittedly has problems rushing the QB.