PDA

View Full Version : Atlanta Falcons

steelblood
10-06-2008, 10:07 AM
My son is a Falcons fan, so I watch all the games. The new GM Dimitroff and coach Mike Smith are doing a fantastic job. This week they went to Green Bay and won with a rookie QB and LT. At 3-2, they have totally exceeded expectations. They won't make the playoffs, but they could develop into a playoff team with another good draft.

Offense -

Line - surprisingly physical. SMG was right about Sam Baker. He has been solid (which is saying a lot for a rookie LT). He blocked KGB well this week. McClure and Clabo are underrated lunch pail types. This group wears a D down and does a decent job of protecting the QB.

WRS - After Moss and TO, I'd put Roddy White up there with Wayne, Lee Evans, Fitzgerald, and Burress. I think Harry Douglas will eventually be a great slot receiver. Jenkins and Robinson are serviceable at best as #2 and #4 recievers.

RBS - Turner has been fantastic. He is a bigger, slightly slower MJD. A bowling ball who punishes DBs and LBs. Norwood is an excellent kick retuner and change of pace back with big time speed, moves, and a little toughness.

QB - Matt Ryan is playing well. He has made some rookie mistakes, but is generally smart and has already earned the respect of his teammates and coaches. He already understands the offense well and makes nice adjustments and runs the no huddle like a seasoned vet. I don't think he'll ever be elite (his arm strength is Pennington-like), but he should turn out to be a winner.

OC - Mike Mularkey is dialing up some great plays. They usually get out to a fast start and much of that is effective playcalling.

Defense -

DLine - John Abraham leads the league in sacks. Grady JAckson is a good space eater who gets good penetration for his size. The rest of the line needs an upgrade.

LBs - This is a good group. They have the vet that calls the plays, Boley (an all pro), and rookie thumper Curtis Lofton. Boley is an outrageous athlete. He is the Polamalu of their team.

DBs - Grimes is a second year FA CB, very short, but a gamer with sick leaping ability and excellent open field tackler. Malloy and Erik Coleman are good journeymen safeties. They must upgrade the corner position.

With another WR, Corner, and a couple of Dlinemen, they could be a very good team next year. IF you get a chance, check these guys out. They are fun to watch and play with passion.

Jom112
10-06-2008, 11:15 AM
Johnathan Abraham is a beast. Hopefully for Falcons fans, he'll kick that injury bug. I had a discussion before the season with a Falcons fan and we were comparing Julius Peppers to Abraham. Abraham actually compares fairly well against Peppers plus Abraham is a lot more consistent. He would get a lot more hype if he didn't get hurt all the time.

As for Roddy White he's pretty good, but I wouldn't put him in that class of receivers just yet. Him and Matt Ryan appear to be developing a good chemistry. I was worried after the first game, where White appeared to be left out of the scoring spree but they have picked it up...

steelblood
10-07-2008, 07:40 AM
Johnathan Abraham is a beast. Hopefully for Falcons fans, he'll kick that injury bug. I had a discussion before the season with a Falcons fan and we were comparing Julius Peppers to Abraham. Abraham actually compares fairly well against Peppers plus Abraham is a lot more consistent. He would get a lot more hype if he didn't get hurt all the time.

As for Roddy White he's pretty good, but I wouldn't put him in that class of receivers just yet. Him and Matt Ryan appear to be developing a good chemistry. I was worried after the first game, where White appeared to be left out of the scoring spree but they have picked it up...

Thanks for the response.

Look what Roddy White did last year with a carousel of crappy QBs. He is the type of WR that beats you even when you know he'll get the ball.

What Atlanta needs is a dominant pass rusher to couple with Abraham. He could be a DT or a DE. I think they'll go CB or pass rusher in the first round of next year's draft.

AngryAsian
10-07-2008, 08:32 AM
The thing that amazes me about Ryan is the touch. Normally touch, like he's been displaying, comes with poise and comfortability in the pocket. Those two elements are scarce in rookie QBs because the defenses are so much faster and bigger in the NFL as opposed to college. But Ryan sits back there with both poise and comfortability. I'm very impressed with this young man thus far. I think Blank finally has a franchise QB worthy of his generous checks.

Jom112
10-07-2008, 05:03 PM
Thanks for the response.

Look what Roddy White did last year with a carousel of crappy QBs. He is the type of WR that beats you even when you know he'll get the ball.

What Atlanta needs is a dominant pass rusher to couple with Abraham. He could be a DT or a DE. I think they'll go CB or pass rusher in the first round of next year's draft.

He did put up some really good numbers, but with Hue Jackson going there last season I expected someone to step up finally out of the WR's corps. Jackson is a very under-rated WR coach, he definitely helped TJ and Chad when he was here. As for WR rankings, mines goes like this:

1st tier: Moss and T.O. (Even though I despise the guy)

2nd tier: Reggie Wayne, Larry Fitzgerald, TJ Houshmanzadeh, Chad Johnson, Anquan Boldin, Steve Smith, Tory Holt, Plaxico Burress and Hines Ward

3rd tier: Calvin Johnson, Roddy White, Greg Jennings, Marcus Colston, Andre Johnson, Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Lee Evans, Santana Moss and Brandon Marshall

The 3rd tier has just as much talent and play making ability as the 2nd but just hasn't done it as consistently. That's just my thinking at least.

As for the other comments. They do need another pass rusher. Jamaal Anderson has just been a disappointment. I don't watch a lot of Falcons games but when I do catch one, I usually don't see him doing anything. But since they use a high first round pick on him, I don't see them focusing on the DE position early in the draft next season. Grady Jackson is pretty old, so maybe a DT to replace him.

CB could also be an option. Find a partner for Houston. The smartest move they have made in a while was trading away D-Hall.

I also agree with AS, Matt Ryan is showing some really good poise in the pocket. Let's all be happy that he didn't end up in Baltimore...

steelblood
10-26-2008, 12:39 PM
Thanks for the response.

He did put up some really good numbers, but with Hue Jackson going there last season I expected someone to step up finally out of the WR's corps. Jackson is a very under-rated WR coach, he definitely helped TJ and Chad when he was here. As for WR rankings, mines goes like this:

1st tier: Moss and T.O. (Even though I despise the guy)

2nd tier: Reggie Wayne, Larry Fitzgerald, TJ Houshmanzadeh, Chad Johnson, Anquan Boldin, Steve Smith, Tory Holt, Plaxico Burress and Hines Ward

3rd tier: Calvin Johnson, Roddy White, Greg Jennings, Marcus Colston, Andre Johnson, Braylon Edwards, Santonio Holmes, Lee Evans, Santana Moss and Brandon Marshall

The 3rd tier has just as much talent and play making ability as the 2nd but just hasn't done it as consistently. That's just my thinking at least.

As for the other comments. They do need another pass rusher. Jamaal Anderson has just been a disappointment. I don't watch a lot of Falcons games but when I do catch one, I usually don't see him doing anything. But since they use a high first round pick on him, I don't see them focusing on the DE position early in the draft next season. Grady Jackson is pretty old, so maybe a DT to replace him.

CB could also be an option. Find a partner for Houston. The smartest move they have made in a while was trading away D-Hall.

I also agree with AS, Matt Ryan is showing some really good poise in the pocket. Let's all be happy that he didn't end up in Baltimore...

Grimes is their best corner and Chris Houston would be better as a nickel back. Neither are great. They need a number one corner who can match up with physical receivers.

Ozey74
10-29-2008, 05:03 PM
I'm actually happy for the Falcons. Arthur Blank is a good man & does alot of good charity work. He took a stuck his neck out and gave M. Vick a chance and Vick pi$$ed all over him. I felt bad for all the folks that bought season tickets right before Vick set the franchise back a few years.

steelblood
11-03-2008, 03:39 PM
I'm actually happy for the Falcons. Arthur Blank is a good man & does alot of good charity work. He took a stuck his neck out and gave M. Vick a chance and Vick pi$$ed all over him. I felt bad for all the folks that bought season tickets right before Vick set the franchise back a few years.

They were really impressive again this weekend. Sure, it was the raiders, but they dismantled them very quickly and looked like a far superior team. Dimitroff and Smith really look smart right now. I wish Mularkey was our O coordinator.

Iron Shiek
11-03-2008, 04:23 PM
I wouldn't be fooled by that game. I know the Falcons are definitely building something nice, but to me this won't be the year for them. They won't make the playoffs, but they are starting something nice. Put the pieces in place. By next year they will be a force and that division will be stacked (I think the Saints will address some of their issues and the Panthers and Bucs will keep up their usual pace).

Ozey74
11-03-2008, 08:28 PM
The NFC South has a streak that has been going on for the past few years: The team that comes in last place the previous year, wins the division the next year. It may happen again. I hope it does!

frankthetank1
12-27-2008, 02:16 PM
QB - Matt Ryan is playing well. He has made some rookie mistakes, but is generally smart and has already earned the respect of his teammates and coaches. He already understands the offense well and makes nice adjustments and runs the no huddle like a seasoned vet. I don't think he'll ever be elite (his arm strength is Pennington-like), but he should turn out to be a winner.

i would already say he is an elite qb in the nfl right now. i disagree about his arm strength. he throws one of the better deep balls then most starting nfl qbs. i havent seen many rookies make some of the throws ryan has made this season. i would say he is just as good as ben was in his rookie year