PDA

View Full Version : Realistic Analysis

steelblood
10-06-2008, 08:19 AM
Big Ben-
negative - held to ball too long and took some unnecessary hits and sacks.
positive - held the ball forever, absorbed huge hits, and made great, sometimes phenomenal plays. Ben often does it his own way. It can be frightening to watch and he may get himself killed, but dude is houdini back there and can carry us as long we at least slow down a pass rush.

Receivers/TE -
Excellent game overall. Ward continues to be impressive and Heath is a beast. Holmes seemed a little out of it. We need to get him going.

Moore -
Continue using him more in the passing game. Teams will have to commit more than a single linebacker to covering him. This will help reduce all out blitzes by our opponents. DESIGN AN EFFECTIVE SCREEN FOR HIM!

the offensive line -
good protection, but the Jags are a struggling pass rushing team. we'll see how stapleton does against tuck and the giants or the skins. so far, so good.

Deshea -
Dude is getting beat regularly right now. He looks pretty slow. I know he's injured, but I might consider playing Gay until he heals completely.

BMac-
Excellent anticipation. physical. I want to see how he defends a good double move, but he looks like the type of player that should have been starting a long time ago.

Pass rush -
This may be unpopular, but I really didn't think they were that good. Most of our sacks and pressures were generated by good coverage. On many plays, Garrard dropped back and filed his nails while surveying the field. I can't believe that we overloaded the middle of that line and their three backups stonewalled us on at least 6 occasions. That being said, Wood, and Silverback, and sometimes Hoke got some nice pressure and were relentless.

LeBeau -
I love that he is leaving Polamalu in coverage more. Quarterbacks are becoming gunshy with him back there.

Secondary -
They have some great tests coming up, but if they stay healthy, they might be the best group we've had since the mid-90s.

Special Teams -
Our return game is terrible. I think the problem lies mostly in our blocking. Our wedge is pathetic and we seem incapable of sealing off a wall on punt returns. Kickoff coverage was shaky last night. Reed was very good. I think they held him out of that final kick because he'd already started drinking.

Viewing Experience -
Madden and the Refs tried to make it unbearable. But, our Eagles-like offensive strategy was very entertaining and the defense played inspired football with a patchwork line. Four stars, it was better than "Cats."

frankthetank1
10-06-2008, 08:29 AM
i disagree about the pass rush. they really didnt blitz a whole lot and when they did they were able to get pressure, so i thought it was a pretty good night. also i thought ward had a sub par game for him. he made some big plays but had a couple bad drops.

Oviedo
10-06-2008, 08:36 AM
Russell to me looked strong given he has not played a meaningful game in a long time. I think if you feed him the ball and he gets into a rhythm he could be a good power back.

I love the TEs playing FB. So many options.

Nate, I can't believe I'm saying this, has been a big positive factor. I hope it can continue.

Hoke just seems to get more penetration than Casey. Penetrate and disrupt is the kind of DL play I love.

Troy staying back in coverage is huge. Glad LeBeau read my pre-season posts here and took it to heart :wink:

frankthetank1
10-06-2008, 08:40 AM
ive never really gotten too down on nate. for a million a year he gives the team a lot. he is a great value. so far the only mistake he has made this season was that taunting penalty which was bs. nate came out of no where and has been better than some wr's that were drafted high. i have a lot of respect for that. ced wilson was never as good as nate, and he got paid a lot more

papillon
10-06-2008, 08:57 AM
Russell to me looked strong given he has not played a meaningful game in a long time. I think if you feed him the ball and he gets into a rhythm he could be a good power back.

I love the TEs playing FB. So many options.

Nate, I can't believe I'm saying this, has been a big positive factor. I hope it can continue.

Hoke just seems to get more penetration than Casey. Penetrate and disrupt is the kind of DL play I love.

Troy staying back in coverage is huge. Glad LeBeau read my pre-season posts here and took it to heart :wink:

A few of us have liked Nate as the #3 and if he gets that type of production over the rest of the schedule the Steeler offense is going to be very difficult to defend.

Hoke played a great game last night, but, Casey is still a behemouth in the middle. Let them split the duties and try to keep each other healthy over the long haul that is the NFL regular season.

Troy staying back is a good thing, however, there were at least 3 plays where he was dancing with offesive linemen. If he's going to rush the passer I would prefer to see him coming off the edge and not trying to bull rush linemen that outweigh him by 100 pounds.

Pappy

BigBen2112
10-06-2008, 09:04 AM
Anyone else think that Gay should maybe be the 3rd CB and Townsend downgraded further?

frankthetank1
10-06-2008, 09:07 AM
Anyone else think that Gay should maybe be the 3rd CB and Townsend downgraded further?

if deshea isnt 100% than yes. i like gay a lot, i think he has a ton of potential. i guess you could call me a gay supporter :lol:

steelblood
10-06-2008, 09:17 AM
Frank,

I agree that we didn't do a lot of blitzing. But, when we brought an extra backer or two up the middle, we should have got pressure against 3 backups. We didn't. Besides Woodley's stunt blitz and maybe two other times, we didn't get a lot of intitial/quick pressure. Garrard had time. Fortunately, the coverage was good and our pass rush generally had a nice second wave. But, we should have exploited those backups more than we did.

Regarding Nate,

I agree that he is a good value. He will never be a consistant starter. But, he is a tough matchup for a tired corner.

steelblood
10-06-2008, 09:19 AM

yes.

"Deshea -
Dude is getting beat regularly right now. He looks pretty slow. I know he's injured, but I might consider playing Gay until he heals completely."

papillon
10-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Okay, you guys that have played at a level higher than the 10th grade help me out here. I noticed last night that Timmons when he was in was rushing up the middle and Woodley was the edge rush along with Harrison of course. Now we know that Woodley's and Harrison's best move is the bull rush and Timmons' best move is his speed.

Just for that defensive play wouldn't it be a better idea if Timmons and Woodley or Timmons and Harrison are going to be the rushers to move the Woodley or Harrison inside and let Timmons come off the corner? Or, is that just not possible given that Woodley and Harrison play the entire game outside?

Pappy

frankthetank1
10-06-2008, 09:21 AM
Frank,

I agree that we didn't do a lot of blitzing. But, when we brought an extra backer or two up the middle, we should have got pressure against 3 backups. We didn't. Besides Woodley's stunt blitz and maybe two other times, we didn't get a lot of intitial/quick pressure. Garrard had time. Fortunately, the coverage was good and our pass rush generally had a nice second wave. But, we should have exploited those backups more than we did.

Regarding Nate,

I agree that he is a good value. He will never be a consistant starter. But, he is a tough matchup for a tired corner.

that is true, jax's backups played a lot better than i thought they would. gerrard is also a very good athelete. there were a few plays a lot of qb's would have been sacked but he was able to get out of it