PDA

View Full Version : Steelers Q&A with Sean McHugh

fordfixer
10-05-2008, 12:28 AM
Steelers Q&A with Sean McHugh
By the Tribune-Review
Sunday, October 5, 2008
http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsbu ... 91703.html (http://www.pittsburghlive.com/x/pittsburghtrib/sports/steelers/s_591703.html)

Sean McHugh is officially listed as a tight end, but there should probably be a slash in there somewhere.

The 6-foot-5, 265-pound McHugh is a tight end mixed with a fullback combined with an H-back. The former Penn State star will likely see a more prominent role when the Steelers and their injury-ravaged backfield travel to Jacksonville for a Sunday night game.

With the only true fullback on the roster, Carey Davis, doubtful for this week, McHugh could see more time as the lead blocker in any I-formation.

McHugh has played in three games with one start for the Steelers since signing in early September. In 28 career games - nearly all of them with the Lions from 2005-07 -- he has caught 20 passes for 277 yards.

Less than 48 hours after the Lions released McHugh in August, the former seventh-round draft pick got a call from the Steelers.

McHugh recently talked to the Tribune-Review about his crushing block on Ravens linebacker Bart Scott, his days at Penn State and his position-best Wonderlic test score at the NFL Combine four years ago.

Q: You rushed for 2,000 yards in one season at Chagrin Falls High School in Ohio, but you have no NFL carries. Do you still have it?

A: "Of course, I've got the moves. I don't think coach will ever let me show them. I think I'm pretty much stuck in the role as a blocker, but I'm OK with that."

Q: How valuable is your position flexibility?

A: "There is no question, I think it's probably the single greatest factor that's helped me to stay here. I try to have as much versatility as I can."

Q: Can you talk about the lead block where you knocked off Ravens linebacker Bart Scott's helmet?

A: "It was just a block. They are making more out of it than it really is. I'm coming downhill and he's coming downhill and you've got two powerful guys in the middle. But it's all good."

Q: Do you still follow Penn State closely?

A: "It was hard (paying attention to Penn State), when I was in Detroit. Everything was Michigan, Michigan, Michigan. Now that I'm here, it's a little bit easier to stay up on them."

Q: How long will Joe Paterno be the head coach?

A: "For as long as he wants."

Q: How did you become a Steeler after being cut by the Lions in late August?

A: "It was the day I was released that they called. I came in here for a visit. It was really a bang, bang, bang thing. There wasn't a whole lot of time between. They had me on a plane that next morning."

Q: You grew up outside Cleveland. We're you a Browns fan?

A: "I was a Browns fan until they left town. Once they left town, I could care less anymore. We didn't root for anybody. We started watching college football."

Q: You recorded the highest Wonderlic Test score (36) among all fullbacks at the 2004 NFL Combine. What does that say about you?

A: "I'm not sure how good of a measuring stick it is. I guess I just test well. It's time-tested, so you're trying to fly through it as fast as you can."

Q: After moving around a lot earlier your career (Titans, Packers, Lions), have you found a home?

A: "I hope so. I like it here. I'm starting to get more comfortable. Most of my family is still in Cleveland. My wife's family is all from Pennsylvania. For me, personally, it's a good fit. I'm just going to continue to work hard and do whatever I can to try to stay here."

Q: How much did it mean to be named the Senior MVP in your final year at Penn State?

A: "It meant a lot. We had some tough years when I was at Penn State, as far as records. But it was nice to be recognized just for the hard work and the dedication to the team. It was pretty special."

Q: One of your hobbies is hunting and fishing. Biggest buck you've bagged?

A: "I've yet to put down a buck. But I've put down some big doe. With football, it's hard (to hunt). I'm trying to find some more time. Now that I'm back here, I think I will have a few more opportunities to get a little bit more involved."

Q: What's your favorite hobby no one knows about?

A: "I like to cook. We have a son (18-month-old Jack) now, so the nights out are a little bit more far and few between. One thing I like to do for fun is to pick a recipe and cook."

Q: How did the Steelers notice you?

A: "They were scouting Cincinnati, and we played Cincinnati in the pre-season. I'm pretty sure that's where they saw me. That's the thing. Your film is your resume in this league. Everybody watches everything. I don't think people realize that. Even if you have no chance to make a team somewhere, if you go out and play hard, someone is going to see you."