PDA

View Full Version : Expect alot of Blitzes this weekend

BigRob
10-03-2008, 12:37 PM
From the Jaguars. Per PFT they may be down two of three starters in the secondarya and Rashean Mathis has a bruised shin. They will not respect our running game and for the first time this year they will blitz the ****nitskins out of us to protect their secondary.

MeetJoeGreene
10-03-2008, 12:39 PM
They would've blitzed the crap out of us regardless.

BigRob
10-03-2008, 12:42 PM

Not really, that is not Del Rio's defensive philosophy, they like to try and use the front 4 for pressure and allow the secondary to play pure coverage.

MeetJoeGreene
10-03-2008, 12:43 PM

Not really, that is not Del Rio's defensive philosophy, they like to try and use the front 4 for pressure and allow the secondary to play pure coverage.

Even after what Philly exposed?

Oviedo
10-03-2008, 12:48 PM

The Jags do not have Philly's personnel on defense. Their weak secondary I think actually will prevent them from blitzing because they cannot risk giving up the big play and playing catch up with both Garard and their running game performing less than last year. More likely they try to keep everything in front of them and limit the gains.

BigRob
10-03-2008, 12:52 PM

Look, even the Ravens didn't blitz as much as Philly did. The Ravens used their normal defense, because its good. I expect the Jaguars to be much more likely to all out blitz because of Gregg Williams history, and the secondary being shot.

MeetJoeGreene
10-03-2008, 12:52 PM

The Jags do not have Philly's personnel on defense. Their weak secondary I think actually will prevent them from blitzing because they cannot risk giving up the big play and playing catch up with both Garard and their running game performing less than last year. More likely they try to keep everything in front of them and limit the gains.

If that is the case, I hope the line can give Ben 2.8 seconds.

And Ben takes what they give him instead of going downtown.

BigRob
10-03-2008, 12:57 PM

I can agree with on that much. If Arians doesn't use no huddle and Moore like the Patriots do Kevin Faulk, I might kill him myself.

If that is the case, I hope the line can give Ben 2.8 seconds.

And Ben takes what they give him instead of going downtown.

ANPSTEEL
10-03-2008, 12:58 PM

i posted this in another thread-

jax may not blitz as much- but they will show it... i think the steelers will see a constant series of twists, stunts and dogs to confuse and expose the line-

until Arians calls a game that includes plays to take the other team out of that type of scheme- the steelers will continue to see it on a weekly basis.

i am guardedly optimistic that, due to the injuries at RB, we may actually see more swing passes and check downs to Moore...

phillyesq
10-03-2008, 01:44 PM
If the Jags blitz, the Steelers WRs really need to exploit the mismatch against a banged up secondary. They need to get separation - quickly.

The Eagles blitzed, played one deep safety the whole game, with a lot of press coverage, and the WRs failed to capitalize. IMO, the WRs share at least some of the blame with the O-line, and Arians (for failing to recognize this and adapt).

papillon
10-03-2008, 01:52 PM
The offense is going to improve again this weekend building on the second half of the Ravens game. I'm more concerned with the defensive line and the defense than I am the offense. I believe the Steelers are going to give up some points this weekend due to injuries on the d-line and the lack of depth. If it's smokin hot in Jacksonville or muggy sunday evening the d-line could well be exhausted in the 4th quarter.

Pappy

Oviedo
10-03-2008, 02:03 PM
The offense is going to improve again this weekend building on the second half of the Ravens game. I'm more concerned with the defensive line and the defense than I am the offense. I believe the Steelers are going to give up some points this weekend due to injuries on the d-line and the lack of depth. If it's smokin hot in Jacksonville or muggy sunday evening the d-line could well be exhausted in the 4th quarter.

Pappy

The forecast for Sunday say 70 degrees at gametime with about 60% humidity. Should be very comfortable.

papillon
10-03-2008, 02:08 PM

Pappy

The forecast for Sunday say 70 degrees at gametime with about 60% humidity. Should be very comfortable.

That would be great; however, I'm still concerned about the d-line w/o Hampton and Kiesel. We're another nick or ding away frmo potentially having to play someone with little or no experience (and, potentially, no talent) or having Woodley try to man up at 265 pounds with his hand in the dirt.

We're thin and growing thinner on the d-line. The bye week can't get here soon enough.

Pappy

phillyesq
10-03-2008, 02:59 PM
Pap, good point on the Dline concerns. The thing that mitigates those concerns for me is that jags o-line might be even more depleted than the Steelers D-line.

papillon
10-03-2008, 03:45 PM
Philly, at least the Jags o-line has a few more weeks of practicr together under their belt. This will be just the second week for our d-lineplaying together. This could be one ugly game for both teams under the circumstances.

Pappy