PDA

View Full Version : I guarentee a Steelers WIN...

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
10-03-2008, 10:41 AM
Steelers 27 Jags 10

Steelers will show why they are still a SB contender!!!

Still, this is not Ant Smith.

frankthetank1
10-03-2008, 10:46 AM
Steelers 27 Jags 10

i wish i could have the same optimisim as you do. imo the way the offense has played in the last two games do i think the steelers are even close to a sb contender. i have a bad feeling about this game. injuries, short week, on the road playing a team that handles the steelers well. at least jax has problems getting sacks and can be thrown on. jax does have their own issues on the o-line but still, im not sure thats enough though

SMASHMOUTHFOOTBALL
10-03-2008, 11:10 AM
Steelers 27 Jags 10

i wish i could have the same optimisim as you do. imo the way the offense has played in the last two games do i think the steelers are even close to a sb contender. i have a bad feeling about this game. injuries, short week, on the road playing a team that handles the steelers well. at least jax has problems getting sacks and can be thrown on. jax does have their own issues on the o-line but still, im not sure thats enough though

If it makes you feel better, I guarenteed a win last week 23-13. Also our 0-line didn't give up a sack in the 2nd half. We need to beat Jax--Its been to long!

ANPSTEEL
10-03-2008, 11:19 AM
i think that the team has the ability to beat Jax, ...

but

this is one of those games ... i would not be surprised to see them come out completely flat after the tough game against baltimore.

also

i don't have much faith in Arians to devise a competent game plan...

i think Jax will overload playing the pass- knowing that the steelers running threat is highly limited. - and while they are not designed personnel wise like philly- i do think the steelers are going to see a lot of twists, stunts, dogs- and blitzes to confuse the offensive line. ( particularly if they line up in the trips/bunch formation which puts everyone except the FS and the off CB within 5-7 yards of the qb. )

i have said every game this season that the steelers need to go with some form of spread offense- and that still holds true. Mewelde Moore can play the single back role. so can davenport

Defensively, the steelers should be ok- Jax will try to take advantage of the injuries to the Steelers dLine- but they have their own injuries on the oLine to deal with.
Unless Jax shows two backs in the backfield consistently - i'd expect to see the steelers primarily in some version of nickle- with timmons in (particularly when Jone-Drew is in the game) to counter their speed at RB and tendencies to run screens and swing passes.

anyway- the steelers definitely have the ability to win this game- (and they may based upon some big defensive plays) but i am very concerned about them being prepared to win this game.

frankthetank1
10-03-2008, 11:31 AM
Steelers 27 Jags 10

If it makes you feel better, I guarenteed a win last week 23-13. Also our 0-line didn't give up a sack in the 2nd half. We need to beat Jax--Its been to long!

no it really doesnt. i thought the steelers were going to win last week by at least two td's and the offense did nothing in the first half. we do need to beat jax not only has it been a long time but it would distance us from the ravens by another game. that is if tenn does beat baltimore which they should

MeetJoeGreene
10-03-2008, 12:29 PM

but

this is one of those games ... i would not be surprised to see them come out completely flat after the tough game against baltimore.

also

i think Jax will overload playing the pass- knowing that the steelers running threat is highly limited. - and while they are not designed personnel wise like philly- i do think the steelers are going to see a lot of twists, stunts, dogs- and blitzes to confuse the offensive line. ( particularly if they line up in the trips/bunch formation which puts everyone except the FS and the off CB within 5-7 yards of the qb. )

i have said every game this season that the steelers need to go with some form of spread offense- and that still holds true. Mewelde Moore can play the single back role. so can davenport

Defensively, the steelers should be ok- Jax will try to take advantage of the injuries to the Steelers dLine- but they have their own injuries on the oLine to deal with.
Unless Jax shows two backs in the backfield consistently - i'd expect to see the steelers primarily in some version of nickle- with timmons in (particularly when Jone-Drew is in the game) to counter their speed at RB and tendencies to run screens and swing passes.

anyway- the steelers definitely have the ability to win this game- (and they may based upon some big defensive plays) but i am very concerned about them being prepared to win this game.

I worry about the players physical condition.

With the short week, I also am concerned about Arian not having enough time to put together an effective game plan. (Attn: That last comment was sarcasm).

SteelerNation1
10-03-2008, 12:30 PM
I like your optimism SMF. I have said since before training camp, this is the one game we WILL win! If we can't get up for this game...I mean they came into our house and ended our season last year. That is motivation enough. :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

Rickt011
10-03-2008, 12:50 PM
I too am not seeing W this weekend. Our OL is going to cost us even more this game. Until they fix the problems, who knows what OL will show up? Right now the OL opens no holes for the RBs, and now they're falling like flies, all we have left is MM our 3rd down back. We've signed players we cut in the past to help out, but now we are filling with back ups again. The OL provides very little if any protection for Ben on passing plays. Our QB has been hammered from all directions. The Jags have had a week to practice for our no huddle, they know our weaknesses, they know where our strengths are. We're a wounded team, our LOS is void most of it's talent on the OL, and the DL has no one left. This is not good, disaster in the making. We could win, but I doubt it.

Oviedo
10-03-2008, 01:12 PM
SMF--I agree with you and think your score is in the ballpark. I predict 24-13.

In the rush show how smart they are and to find fault in everything about the Steelers posters forget there is another team we will be playing that has as many serious issues as we do. Their OL is playing possibly 3 back ups, they have no top notch WR, they are down to 3 healthy DBs, and their rookie pass rushers can't generate pressure but in the world of woe is us it is all about the Steelers' problems.

This will be a tough physical game as it always is, but we have more weapons on offense and we have a much better and healthier defense across the board than the jags. We will compete and we will come out on top.

AngryAsian
10-03-2008, 01:29 PM
I think payback is long overdue with this once divisional foe. I don't know about the score posted but I likewise think that this team will show up on the PrimeTime stage and show the rest of the league what their made of. People forget that the Jags have just as many walking wounded as we do. Garrard hasn't shown any consistency this year. The only thing that keeps the Jacksonville locomotive chugging is our 1-2 punch of Taylor and Jones-Drew, arguably the best ground game tandem in the NFL next to Barber-Jones or Tomlinson-Sproles.

I think our front 7 have been playing lights out regardless of the attrition we've had from the injury bug. I think our secondary has really flourished with the increased production of our passrush. This game will be ours. We just need to execute the diversity in play calling like we showed in the last part of the 3rd quarter and 4th quarter this past Monday night. I would like for our O to be able to put together a complete drive and really give our D a bit of a rest.

Agreed. Steeler Win: 20-6

Oviedo
10-03-2008, 01:35 PM
I think payback is long overdue with this once divisional foe. I don't know about the score posted but I likewise think that this team will show up on the PrimeTime stage and show the rest of the league what their made of. People forget that the Jags have just as many walking wounded as we do. Garrard hasn't shown any consistency this year. The only thing that keeps the Jacksonville locomotive chugging is our 1-2 punch of Taylor and Jones-Drew, arguably the best ground game tandem in the NFL next to Barber-Jones or Tomlinson-Sproles.

I think our front 7 have been playing lights out regardless of the attrition we've had from the injury bug. I think our secondary has really flourished with the increased production of our passrush. This game will be ours. We just need to execute the diversity in play calling like we showed in the last part of the 3rd quarter and 4th quarter this past Monday night. I would like for our O to be able to put together a complete drive and really give our D a bit of a rest.

One more item in the Steelers' favor is that Jacksonville really isn't a "road game." There will be as much Black and Gold in that stadium as there will be Jag fans. Last time we played there we took over the stadium and the Steelers won. Florida is Steeler country.

AngryAsian
10-03-2008, 01:43 PM

One more item in the Steelers' favor is that Jacksonville really isn't a "road game." There will be as much Black and Gold in that stadium as there will be Jag fans. Last time we played there we took over the stadium and the Steelers won. Florida is Steeler country.

Actually brother, you are thinking of the time before last.... 2004 Ben's rookie year. I was in the stands and it was literally Steeler Country.... Black and Gold everywhere. A win. Two years later 2006, the Steelers came a calling again and I was again in the stands but they blocked out the important games to season ticket holders only. I came into the stadium think it would be repeat of 2004.... this time it was a sea of teal and white that greeted me... along with several "Let's kick the sh*t out of Hines Ward!" chants from the local yahoos. That year we lost a soccer game... no TDs from both sides just FGs. It was not pleasant. So if visiting Jax is cyclic.... we are due for a win this year.

papillon
10-03-2008, 02:12 PM

but

also

I worry about the players physical condition.

With the short week, I also am concerned about Arian not having enough time to put together an effective game plan. (Attn: That last comment was sarcasm).

:moon :HeadBanger

Maybe, Ben will just take the bull by the horns right from the git go this week and not wait for half-time to voice his displeasure. :tt2

Pappy

Flasteel
10-03-2008, 03:07 PM

but

also

Agree and disagree.

I think we will see a heavy dose of blitzes and pressure packages from their defense with the anticipation that our modus operandi will be an aerial attack. They are as you stated soft against the pass (24th I believe) and only have five sacks so far on the season, so that may work out for us if Arians shows up or they give Ben, the "keys to the car" once again.

I disagree with us being in nickel for most of the game. The Jags do have o-line issues inside, but pounding the rock is their meat and potatoes. I don't see them deviating from their strength and exposing Garrard to our unquestioned strength (with the d-line injuries) which is the pass rush. Don't get me wrong, our line did a pretty solid job up front last week, but with Hampton, Kiesel, and maybe even Eason out, I see them trying to bang it in there all day long.

Flasteel
10-03-2008, 03:15 PM
I too am not seeing W this weekend. Our OL is going to cost us even more this game. Until they fix the problems, who knows what OL will show up? Right now the OL opens no holes for the RBs, and now they're falling like flies, all we have left is MM our 3rd down back. We've signed players we cut in the past to help out, but now we are filling with back ups again. The OL provides very little if any protection for Ben on passing plays. Our QB has been hammered from all directions. The Jags have had a week to practice for our no huddle, they know our weaknesses, they know where our strengths are. We're a wounded team, our LOS is void most of it's talent on the OL, and the DL has no one left. This is not good, disaster in the making. We could win, but I doubt it.

Rick, I'm shocked that you of all people aren't confident of a win. :lol:

If we do win, that will mean that we need to go 4-7 down the stretch to sink to your latest prediction of our season record.

I have agreed with you all along about the pass protection issues on our line, but I hope you can see now what I was talking about in terms of how we can cover those deficiencies up (or not) with our play calling. The no huddle is only one weapon in the arsenal and there isn't a whole lot they can do to prepare for it. It is more of a tool that quickens the pace of the game, doesn't allow for free defensive substitutions, and takes Bruce Arians out of the equation.

We need to mix it in liberally and in a timely fashion as well as the screens, draws, misdirection, and three-step drops/ quick passes.

ANPSTEEL
10-03-2008, 03:44 PM
I disagree with us being in nickel for most of the game. The Jags do have o-line issues inside, but pounding the rock is their meat and potatoes. I don't see them deviating from their strength and exposing Garrard to our unquestioned strength (with the d-line injuries) which is the pass rush. Don't get me wrong, our line did a pretty solid job up front last week, but with Hampton, Kiesel, and maybe even Eason out, I see them trying to bang it in there all day long.

i don't disagree with your point... jax is likely to try and run- but i don't think they will be able to with much consistency. additionally, they are certain to run screens- swing passes - and draws... specifically to Jones - Drew.

I know I used the term "nickel" but what i was really suggesting is that, I think we'll see Timmons on the field a lot more- to counter Jax strengths- and we know that Timmons plays primarily in the nickel package.

i think the game will be low scoring- and won by plays on the defensive side of the ball - by either team.

Rickt011
10-03-2008, 04:48 PM
If we do win, that will mean that we need to go 4-7 down the stretch to sink to your latest prediction of our season record.
I have agreed with you all along about the pass protection issues on our line, but I hope you can see now what I was talking about in terms of how we can cover those deficiencies up (or not) with our play calling. The no huddle is only one weapon in the arsenal and there isn't a whole lot they can do to prepare for it. It is more of a tool that quickens the pace of the game, doesn't allow for free defensive substitutions, and takes Bruce Arians out of the equation.
We need to mix it in liberally and in a timely fashion as well as the screens, draws, misdirection, and three-step drops/ quick passes.
I wish I could agree with you, but I can't. When you replace talent with backups, you lose, you don't win from this type transaction, unless you have players in waiting, and we don't. We weren't grooming anyone on the OL or DL. We got who and what we got, and that is it. Losing FWP wasn't so bad because RM was here, then he broke his shoulder, now FWP being hurt, hurt us, because we lost the talent FWP, then the talent RM, then CD got injured and we're down to our 3rd down back and now replacements that couldn't make the team before, now in our game plan to play this weekend. This is not good. :nono

There are no probowl caliber OL out there waiting on a phone call to get their chance. LT is a skilled position that requires a very talented player. We haven't had one since Gandy left. We don't have a quality LG playing, we have a back up that was promoted, and has shown promise as a run blocker, but a lost soul on passing downs. A center that is no better then what he replaced. RG is up for grabs, and a 2nd or 3rd sting player will be the new STARTER, that is weakening an already weak line. At RT we have Willie Colon, and he's having serious problems like Marvell is on the other side, they get beat often by speed rushers. Willie is better suited to play guard, but our HC feels he is a tackle. Before he started for us at RT, he was the best back up at guard we had. It was thought he was AF's replacement. As you can see the OL is not healthy, full of lessor talent. It is weak and slow, with players who make mistakes, and get beat easily. The players taking the heat are the money players, the RBs and QBs will be at the mercy of these 2nd, 3rd stringers, sitting at home waiting for a call replacements. Ben is going to be slaughtered by this OL at some point. We're in trouble folks, our D is playing well, but our O is at the mercy of the OL. The DL is losing talent as well, players are out, injuries are robbing us of this talent and at some point the D will suffer for it. But so far our D is getting the job done. :Bow

I'm not impressed with the coaching at all, from the HC to OC and OLC. It is clear Ben took charge and force fed the no huddle change, that should tell the HC his OC is not doing his job, and that is a serious problem. When the L's mount, the nerves will get stretched. Someone will be gone next year, who knows, maybe OC, OLC, I seriously doubt MT or KC will be fired this year, even though one or both should because of the OL problems, from the 7 million dollar mistake to the play, and loss of skilled players, due to the protection problems. These type of mistakes can not go unpunished. But the Rooney's will be the ultra nice guys and MT will get another year to prove his shtick. KC's job will never be in question. I personally think MT is all talk. He showed me that with his jaw jacking at the end of last season, then coming out after the 2 gimme games this year, saying his OL is the best it's been in years! Yeah, he's not getting the job done, so trump it up by giving the "You're the best" speech to motivate the scrubs we have starting. 2 games later, we're not impressed Mike. :evil:

We're also lucky to have Ben still healthy. He's gotten a shot this week in his shoulder. Maybe he won't feel the pain as much. It also could help him tear a tendon/muscle and not feel the damage until it is too late. Football through chemistry is never an option. Our team hopefully will come out and show me and the other fans who are concerned that the back ups are talented, can protect and open holes. Till they do that, the 8-8 stands as a serious prediction. There have been no changes, 8-8 in June, 8-8 today is the prediction. We almost lost a game I had us winning last week. 15 seconds of Ratstains rookie QB not making mistakes, a HC with his head in the game and throws the red flag on that TD, that was said to be out of bounds but replay showed it was a TD, they done their job, and they win last week. We got the W, and that is all that matters. :Beer

The real story is the rest of the AFCN, none of them are as strong as the experts said they were. Stains are a joke! Bungles may as well pack it up. Ratstains have a D, but no O. 8-8 still wins the North, gives us our chance at one n done in the play offs. I'm not satisfied with that! I'm a nation fan and that is unacceptable! A frigging LT and that alone would have given Ben 50% better protection, his blind side secure, and Ben will light up the score boards. No, MT went out and got us a center for half the money of the center we had, and now we see why! Hartwig's play is no better then the guy he replaced. Now we lose Simmons and finally we will see what a good RG can do on this pathetic OL, but we don't have any great guards, we have a couple of back ups, but no one who is battle weary, and yeah we saw a half of no sacks last game, but Ben had more to do with that, with the no huddle, then the replacements. I think we're going to see against the better teams, the back ups are going to trip up and we will lose what talent we have left. Right now our LOS is in dire straights! The DL has back ups starting and now they're getting injured. Not good, recipe for failure.

For those who think my novel was long and you didn't like it, this is for you! :moon

Flasteel
10-03-2008, 07:26 PM
You're not going to get an argument from me about the quality of our line or the potential seriousness of the injury situation we've got on our hands. I'm going to reserve judgment on Tomlin until I see how this all plays out. He made another rookie coaching mistake last week that cost us four points, but he can redeem himself by taking charge of the play calling issue.

Too bad you don't get how our weakness on the line can be mitigated by the playcalling Rick. Even with the brutal schedule and the injuries we've got, this is a far better team than 8-8. The only way we come out looking that bad is if Arians continues to screw things up and Tomlin let's him do it. If that winds up being the case then I will be joining you, LVG, and anyone else who is calling for Tomlin's job...at the end of the season.

AngryAsian
10-03-2008, 08:50 PM
I have been as hyper-critical as the next disgruntled fan of The Nation, with regards to Bruce. But how can anybody ask for a change in leadership or a handing out of pink slips when we're 3-1, 2-0 in the division and atop of the AFCN. Do I think that this team will flourish under Arians.... I doubt it. But logic dictates that the FO will not do anything until the off-season. Unless we have a Raven-like skid (where Fassel was ousted during mid-season), Bruce will continue to be the bane of our season. I just hope that Tomlin will have the sense to take over if/when Bruce screws more games up.

AkronSteel
10-04-2008, 12:01 AM
I do agree that the OL is a major weakness, but I think that we all should realize that the last two teams that the Steelers have played own two of the better defenses in the league. I don't like what I have seen of the last two weeks just like the next guy, but I can be realistic and admit that the teams that the Steelers have played so far are quality defenses. The O was hindered in C-town by the wind and the last two weeks we have seen the Ravens and Eagles blitz happy D's. I tend to believe that we will not see defenses this good all year.

sd steel
10-04-2008, 12:39 AM
I wish I could agree with you, but I can't. When you replace talent with backups, you lose, you don't win from this type transaction, unless you have players in waiting, and we don't. We weren't grooming anyone on the OL or DL. We got who and what we got, and that is it. Losing FWP wasn't so bad because RM was here, then he broke his shoulder, now FWP being hurt, hurt us, because we lost the talent FWP, then the talent RM, then CD got injured and we're down to our 3rd down back and now replacements that couldn't make the team before, now in our game plan to play this weekend. This is not good. :nono

There are no probowl caliber OL out there waiting on a phone call to get their chance. LT is a skilled position that requires a very talented player. We haven't had one since Gandy left. We don't have a quality LG playing, we have a back up that was promoted, and has shown promise as a run blocker, but a lost soul on passing downs. A center that is no better then what he replaced. RG is up for grabs, and a 2nd or 3rd sting player will be the new STARTER, that is weakening an already weak line. At RT we have Willie Colon, and he's having serious problems like Marvell is on the other side, they get beat often by speed rushers. Willie is better suited to play guard, but our HC feels he is a tackle. Before he started for us at RT, he was the best back up at guard we had. It was thought he was AF's replacement. As you can see the OL is not healthy, full of lessor talent. It is weak and slow, with players who make mistakes, and get beat easily. The players taking the heat are the money players, the RBs and QBs will be at the mercy of these 2nd, 3rd stringers, sitting at home waiting for a call replacements. Ben is going to be slaughtered by this OL at some point. We're in trouble folks, our D is playing well, but our O is at the mercy of the OL. The DL is losing talent as well, players are out, injuries are robbing us of this talent and at some point the D will suffer for it. But so far our D is getting the job done. :Bow

I'm not impressed with the coaching at all, from the HC to OC and OLC. It is clear Ben took charge and force fed the no huddle change, that should tell the HC his OC is not doing his job, and that is a serious problem. When the L's mount, the nerves will get stretched. Someone will be gone next year, who knows, maybe OC, OLC, I seriously doubt MT or KC will be fired this year, even though one or both should because of the OL problems, from the 7 million dollar mistake to the play, and loss of skilled players, due to the protection problems. These type of mistakes can not go unpunished. But the Rooney's will be the ultra nice guys and MT will get another year to prove his shtick. KC's job will never be in question. I personally think MT is all talk. He showed me that with his jaw jacking at the end of last season, then coming out after the 2 gimme games this year, saying his OL is the best it's been in years! Yeah, he's not getting the job done, so trump it up by giving the "You're the best" speech to motivate the scrubs we have starting. 2 games later, we're not impressed Mike. :evil:

We're also lucky to have Ben still healthy. He's gotten a shot this week in his shoulder. Maybe he won't feel the pain as much. It also could help him tear a tendon/muscle and not feel the damage until it is too late. Football through chemistry is never an option. Our team hopefully will come out and show me and the other fans who are concerned that the back ups are talented, can protect and open holes. Till they do that, the 8-8 stands as a serious prediction. There have been no changes, 8-8 in June, 8-8 today is the prediction. We almost lost a game I had us winning last week. 15 seconds of Ratstains rookie QB not making mistakes, a HC with his head in the game and throws the red flag on that TD, that was said to be out of bounds but replay showed it was a TD, they done their job, and they win last week. We got the W, and that is all that matters. :Beer

The real story is the rest of the AFCN, none of them are as strong as the experts said they were. Stains are a joke! Bungles may as well pack it up. Ratstains have a D, but no O. 8-8 still wins the North, gives us our chance at one n done in the play offs. I'm not satisfied with that! I'm a nation fan and that is unacceptable! A frigging LT and that alone would have given Ben 50% better protection, his blind side secure, and Ben will light up the score boards. No, MT went out and got us a center for half the money of the center we had, and now we see why! Hartwig's play is no better then the guy he replaced. Now we lose Simmons and finally we will see what a good RG can do on this pathetic OL, but we don't have any great guards, we have a couple of back ups, but no one who is battle weary, and yeah we saw a half of no sacks last game, but Ben had more to do with that, with the no huddle, then the replacements. I think we're going to see against the better teams, the back ups are going to trip up and we will lose what talent we have left. Right now our LOS is in dire straights! The DL has back ups starting and now they're getting injured. Not good, recipe for failure.

For those who think my novel was long and you didn't like it, this is for you! :moon

At least you didn't call anyone "hitler youth" over here for not agreeing with your assessment. Please go back to the other board so we can keep all the trolls in one place please.

Steelers 21-10

Arians will change it up, and we will use the quick passing game and an unexpected running game to win. The scheme change and some trick plays will make the difference. Stapleton will be an up grade over Simmons.

AkronSteel
10-04-2008, 12:45 AM

At least you didn't call anyone "hitler youth" over here for not agreeing with your assessment. Please go back to the other board so we can keep all the trolls in one place please.

Steelers 21-10

Arians will change it up, and we will use the quick passing game and an unexpected running game to win. The scheme change and some trick plays will make the difference. Stapleton will be an up grade over Simmons.

Eh.....I don't wanna see Rickt go back to the Trib board. He is a solid poster and has been for a long time. He contributes alot to the site. Is he down on the OL? Sure he is, I think all of us in Steeler Nation are, and we all know that it needs fixed. I appreciate his insight. Sometimes he tends to go on and on and talk about the OL in every thread, and I would love to hear him talk about something different other than the OL, but all in all he is a solid poster!

:2c

sd steel
10-04-2008, 12:57 AM
I wish I could agree with you, but I can't. When you replace talent with backups, you lose, you don't win from this type transaction, unless you have players in waiting, and we don't. We weren't grooming anyone on the OL or DL. We got who and what we got, :Bow :2c :2c and that is it. Losing FWP wasn't so bad because RM was here, then he broke his shoulder, now FWP being hurt, hurt us, because we lost the talent FWP, then the talent RM, then CD got injured and we're down to our 3rd down back and now replacements that couldn't make the team before, now in our game plan to play this weekend. This is not good. :nono

Steelers 21-10

Eh.....I don't wanna see Rickt go back to the Trib board. He is a solid poster and has been for a long time. He contributes alot to the site. Is he down on the OL? Sure he is I think all of us in Steeler Nation are, and we all know that it needs fixed. I appreciate his insight. Sometimes he tends to go on and on and talk about the OL in every thread, and I would love to hear him talk about something different other than the OL, but all in all he is a solid poster!

No offense, but everyone is wrong sometimes, and this happens to be your moment. Obviously he is watching his p's and q's over here, but eventually he will turn into the pessimistic beast that he is on the trib. He won't argue facts when asked about how we should have fixed the oline, he will resort to name calling, and then refer to his awesome GDT that he was asked to do here.

I bet you can not find a recent post from Rick that does not somehow criticize the oline.

Fan? I say not. :2c

AkronSteel
10-04-2008, 01:38 AM
[quote=Flasteel]Rick, I'm shocked that you of all people aren't confident of a win. :lol:
I wish I could agree with you, but I can't. When you replace talent with backups, you lose, you don't win from this type transaction, unless you have players in waiting, and we don't. We weren't grooming anyone on the OL or DL. We got who and what we got, :Bow :2c :2c and that is it. Losing FWP wasn't so bad because RM was here, then he broke his shoulder, now FWP being hurt, hurt us, because we lost the talent FWP, then the talent RM, then CD got injured and we're down to our 3rd down back and now replacements that couldn't make the team before, now in our game plan to play this weekend. This is not good. :nono

Steelers 21-10

Eh.....I don't wanna see Rickt go back to the Trib board. He is a solid poster and has been for a long time. He contributes alot to the site. Is he down on the OL? Sure he is I think all of us in Steeler Nation are, and we all know that it needs fixed. I appreciate his insight. Sometimes he tends to go on and on and talk about the OL in every thread, and I would love to hear him talk about something different other than the OL, but all in all he is a solid poster!

No offense, but everyone is wrong sometimes, and this happens to be your moment. Obviously he is watching his p's and q's over here, but eventually he will turn into the pessimistic beast that he is on the trib. He won't argue facts when asked about how we should have fixed the oline, he will resort to name calling, and then refer to his awesome GDT that he was asked to do here.

I bet you can not find a recent post from Rick that does not somehow criticize the oline.

Fan? I say not. :2c[/quote:d72ixdif]

Alright, you got me! :D

I can't find one. I was just trying to be diplomatic. The GDT is pretty good though!

BIG FAN
10-04-2008, 05:17 AM
I have been as hyper-critical as the next disgruntled fan of The Nation, with regards to Bruce. But how can anybody ask for a change in leadership or a handing out of pink slips when we're 3-1, 2-0 in the division and atop of the AFCN. Do I think that this team will flourish under Arians.... I doubt it. But logic dictates that the FO will not do anything until the off-season. Unless we have a Raven-like skid (where Fassel was ousted during mid-season), Bruce will continue to be the bane of our season. I just hope that Tomlin will have the sense to take over if/when Bruce screws more games up.

You my Black and Gold Brother, can never say you have been "hyper-critical" .
I have never seen any Ninja Master lose that much control. (Although I bet you were close last mon.) :lol:

Anyways I got to agree with Flas., maybe because Rick always does seem to find the weaknesses. And sometime rightly so.
As a matter of fact this may well be my very last post in this particular kingdom.
I have had enough of half/empty, half full b.s.
I have decided to subscribe to the Rick style of half filled with pus, or half filled with poison. At least there you dont have to worry anymore, the self absorbed pseudo-intellect prevents you from suffering any more if you should per chance be proven wrong.

stlrz d
10-04-2008, 10:11 AM
Big Fan - I hope you're only kidding about leaving. Or did I misunderstand your post and you mean last post regarding this topic?

As for the O line, a search of pre draft posts on either board will show that MANY posters knew there were issues with the OL and DL and that something needed to be done to address them.

Post draft posts will show that plenty of posters were concerned that it wasn't addressed but also people were willing to give the FO the benefit of the doubt that they couldn't find an adequate trade partner willing to give equal value in return for a draft pick. There was also acknowledgment that we didn't have enough draft picks to barter with. And agreement, for the most part, that it would have been foolish to pass on Mendy and Sweed when they fell to us when they did.

However, some posters refuse to accept the facts and circumstances as they are and instead want to go on and on about how right they were about the O line. We were all right about the O line.

Bill Parcells once said of sports writers, "We all learned to write in first or second grade...most of us have moved on to other things since then."

I would suggest the same for those who continue to whine and cry about the O line all while thumping themselves on the chest and screaming, "I was right."

Again, we were all right...but we've moved on since the season has now started. We'll harp about fixing the O line again in the off season.

sd steel
10-04-2008, 02:37 PM
Big Fan - I hope you're only kidding about leaving. Or did I misunderstand your post and you mean last post regarding this topic?

As for the O line, a search of pre draft posts on either board will show that MANY posters knew there were issues with the OL and DL and that something needed to be done to address them.

Post draft posts will show that plenty of posters were concerned that it wasn't addressed but also people were willing to give the FO the benefit of the doubt that they couldn't find an adequate trade partner willing to give equal value in return for a draft pick. There was also acknowledgment that we didn't have enough draft picks to barter with. And agreement, for the most part, that it would have been foolish to pass on Mendy and Sweed when they fell to us when they did.

However, some posters refuse to accept the facts and circumstances as they are and instead want to go on and on about how right they were about the O line. We were all right about the O line.

Bill Parcells once said of sports writers, "We all learned to write in first or second grade...most of us have moved on to other things since then."

I would suggest the same for those who continue to whine and cry about the O line all while thumping themselves on the chest and screaming, "I was right."

Again, we were all right...but we've moved on since the season has now started. We'll harp about fixing the O line again in the off season.
:Agree

AngryAsian
10-04-2008, 03:53 PM

Well said, D.... well said.

Oviedo
10-04-2008, 03:57 PM

Because it would make them feel that someone within the organization actually thinks like them and they could post that they are just as smart as people running NFL teams. Thank God they don't. You don't make mid season changes without typically having bad outcomes. This isn't baseball where they play for 6 months and 162 games. Coaching changes in mid season don't work in the NFL.

AngryAsian
10-04-2008, 04:03 PM

Because it would make them feel that someone within the organization actually thinks like them and they could post that they are just as smart as people running NFL teams. Thank God they don't. You don't make mid season changes without typically having bad outcomes. This isn't baseball where they play for 6 months and 162 games. Coaching changes in mid season don't work in the NFL.

Amen, brother..... I guess in the meantime we'll have to put up with the whining. :lol: :lol: :lol: