PDA

View Full Version : Draws, Screens and Shovel passes

papillon
10-02-2008, 10:17 PM
The University of Pittsburgh (my alma mater) is playing the University of South Florida on ESPN tonight. USF is ranked 10th and Pitt is unranked, the USF defensive line started the game teeing off on the linemen and then Cavanaugh (Matt) to his credit had an entire package of screens, draws and shovel passes in the game plan.

Pitt is leading the game 17-14 at the start of the 4th quarter, but, it's these plays that are taking advantage of the aggressive defensive line and linebackers that is the difference right now and keeping Pitt in the game.

I hope Bruce Arians is watching. :HeadBanger

Pappy

AngryAsian
10-02-2008, 10:26 PM
The University of Pittsburgh (my alma mater) is playing the University of South Florida on ESPN tonight. USF is ranked 10th and Pitt is unranked, the USF defensive line started the game teeing off on the linemen and then Cavanaugh (Matt) to his credit had an entire package of screens, draws and shovel passes in the game plan.

Pitt is leading the game 17-14 at the start of the 4th quarter, but, it's these plays that are taking advantage of the aggressive defensive line and linebackers that is the difference right now and keeping Pitt in the game.

Pappy

I don't share your optimism when it comes to our OC. Brucey-boy is a one trick pony and every DC that we face I'm sure has his number.

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-02-2008, 10:33 PM
One more game for Brucey-boy. One more. After that, if we don't see more of those ('draws, screens, soevel passes"), he's just got to go.

papillon
10-02-2008, 10:39 PM

Pappy

I don't share your optimism when it comes to our OC. Brucey-boy is a one trick pony and every DC that we face I'm sure has his number.

I have no optimism for Arians at all. I'm just hoping that he's watching and seeing that these types of plays will slow down the defense fro going balls to the wall in the pass rush and with blitzes.

Pappy

mshifko
10-02-2008, 10:41 PM
i was just getting ready to start a thread about it myself...great playcalling

papillon
10-02-2008, 11:11 PM
i was just getting ready to start a thread about it myself...great playcalling

From Matt Cavanaugh? :wft Who would have thunk it? :shock:

Here's to Matt and my alma mater... :Bow :Bow

Pappy

BigBen2112
10-02-2008, 11:13 PM
And Pitt WON that way.

Oh and for the PSU fans out there...Oregon State beat USC last week...now this week in the 4th quarter they are beating #15 ranked Utah!

birtikidis
10-02-2008, 11:19 PM
who won?

birtikidis
10-02-2008, 11:20 PM
thank god pitt won! I hate USF!!!! well, actually I just hate my old roommate who talked incessantly about anything tampa..

papillon
10-02-2008, 11:25 PM
And Pitt WON that way.

Oh and for the PSU fans out there...Oregon State beat USC last week...now this week in the 4th quarter they are beating #15 ranked Utah!

I haven't been real pleased with Wannstadt and Cavanaugh up to this point, but, I have to give credit for tonight's game. They were prepared with a game plan to offset the USF defense and executed almost perfectly. The announcers also mentioned that Pitt is the least penalized team in the NCAA. More kudos to the coaching staff for that as well.

When you get good coaching it really helps and, while I won't anoint Wannstadt just yet, he may grow on me if the Panthers can finish strong.

Pappy

frankthetank1
10-03-2008, 07:52 AM
wow that is a great win for pitt!! i hate dave wandstadt, i just hope no matter how pitt does this year that he will be gone no matter what.

Oviedo
10-03-2008, 08:01 AM
thank god pitt won! I hate USF!!!! well, actually I just hate my old roommate who talked incessantly about anything tampa..

:Agree USF is the most over rated program in the country. Leavitt plays fast and loose with players who academically borderline but they seem to get through USF. IMO, it is only a matter of time before an academic scandal isexposed at USF.

BigBen2112
10-03-2008, 08:03 AM

:Agree USF is the most over rated program in the country. Leavitt plays fast and loose with players who academically borderline but they seem to get through USF. IMO, it is only a matter of time before an academic scandal isexposed at USF.

Hasn't there already been one?

Oviedo
10-03-2008, 08:07 AM

Last season it was Florida State with like 30 athletes if not more. Booby "I don't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Joe Paterno" Bowden is a slippery as they come.

BigBen2112
10-03-2008, 08:48 AM

Last season it was Florida State with like 30 athletes if not more. Booby "I don't deserve to be mentioned in the same sentence as Joe Paterno" Bowden is a slippery as they come.

Didn't Ben Moffitt have some issues? Wife writing papers? Cheating on online courses?

Slapstick
10-03-2008, 09:06 AM
If you would have told me that Matt Cavanaugh at Pitt would be calling a better game than Arians with the Steelers, I might have laughed...before last night, that is...

Oviedo
10-03-2008, 09:08 AM

Didn't Ben Moffitt have some issues? Wife writing papers? Cheating on online courses?

Maybe, don't know.

papillon
10-03-2008, 09:09 AM
If you would have told me that Matt Cavanaugh at Pitt would be calling a better game than Arians with the Steelers, I might have laughed...before last night, that is...

Isn't that the truth and, not, only that as the OC he put the game plan in place! :shock:

Nothing to complain about last night the coaching staff put the team in a position to win the game and they did. Of course, it helps when you have Lesean 'Shady' McCoy rush for almost a buck fifty! :Bow

Pappy