PDA

View Full Version : Larry Foote

johnstownsteel
10-02-2008, 07:11 PM
what do yinz think of this guy?

from what i've seen thus far, foote is solid as hell. now i'm not saying he'll ever be all-pro or anything but is it possible he's just too good to bench? is it farrior who may be the one pushed to bench when/if timmons is ready to contribute full-time?

i don't know, i think larry foote is underapreciated. like i said, he's not a god but he sure does play hard and has a nose for the ball. i like those team first, charlie hustle...bring the ol' lunch pail to work kinda players.

to me, larry foote gets it done.

RuthlessBurgher
10-02-2008, 07:18 PM
Everyone assumed that it would be Foote that would be kicked to the curb for the emerging Timmons after Farrior signed his extension. Although Farrior is still the most savvy of the LB's and the leader of the defense, he is getting older, so he may not be able to play all of the downs that he used to. I think Timmons ends up spelling Foote and Farrior close to equally, so that the 3 of them get a similar number of total plays each. A true 3 man rotation of sorts, hopefully to keep all of them fresh and healthy in a season where so many of their teammates have gone down in the first month.

AngryAsian
10-02-2008, 10:04 PM
Foote has been a beast this year. I guess knowing that there's a young stud whose athleticism could easily land him a starting role in other defensive squads in the league.... has our boy Larry really out performing his contract. I think that Timmons will be starting by the mid-season... the question remains, in whose spot? Foote has had success more directly due to the fact that opposing O's protection has been paramount at the perimeter with out two-headed beasts on the outside (Woodley and Harrison).

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-02-2008, 11:27 PM
IMO Foote has been underappreciated for a long time, and has played very well so far this year.

Solid but unspectacular is how I have always described him.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
IMO Foote has been underappreciated for a long time, and has played very well so far this year.

steeler_fan_in_t.o.

Jooser
10-03-2008, 12:09 AM
Well, I guess the question is: Which one of the three coulda stopped the Ravens RB last week and not been pancaked? :stirpot

frankthetank1
10-03-2008, 07:17 AM
Well, I guess the question is: Which one of the three coulda stopped the Ravens RB last week and not been pancaked?

i dont think any of them would of stopped mclain. i also agree that foote has always been under apreciated. he is solid

NC Steeler Fan
10-03-2008, 11:05 AM
Yeah, well, besides all that...Foote is cute as hell too! 8)

pittpete
10-03-2008, 11:23 AM
IMO, last year Foote was average at best and missed a lot of tackles down the stretch.
This year hes been pretty solid.
Its amazing what can happen when you have someone waiting in the wings to steal your job(Timmons)

ANPSTEEL
10-03-2008, 11:30 AM
IMO, last year Foote was average at best and missed a lot of tackles down the stretch.
This year hes been pretty solid.
Its amazing what can happen when you have someone waiting in the wings to steal your job(Timmons)

yeah, he has definitely stepped it up this year.

he seems to be fighting through blocks better at the point - and while he is never going to be as athletic or fast as timmons- his pursuit sideline to sideline is improved as well-

MeetJoeGreene
10-03-2008, 12:36 PM
Well, I guess the question is: Which one of the three coulda stopped the Ravens RB last week and not been pancaked?

i dont think any of them would of stopped mclain. i also agree that foote has always been under apreciated. he is solid

I think that Farrior would have had the best shot.

Timmons got there in time but got ran over (he also didn't get any help)

Foote would have gotten there 2 steps later and would have tried to drag him down from behind.

ANPSTEEL
10-03-2008, 12:44 PM

I think that Farrior would have had the best shot.

Timmons got there in time but got ran over (he also didn't get any help)

Foote would have gotten there 2 steps later and would have tried to drag him down from behind.

mclain had a full head of steam- the only chance to bring him down at the point of contact would have been to hit him from an angle or go low. (even then mclain's momentum likely would have carried him in for at td.)

the only thing that timmons did wrong, was to take him on too high.
but 80% of the LBs in the league would have done the same thing.

they aren't used to taking on a RB @ 260lbs..

phillyesq
10-03-2008, 01:39 PM

Very good description of Foote. I've always said that he is the type of guy that knows his role on the defense, filling it competently, and allowing the playmakers to make plays. This year, I'd say that he's probably playing a bit better than that. He's always been solid -- this year, he is a bit above solid.

I don't think Timmons starts this year unless Foote or Farrior get injured. I think that Timmons will still rotate in, and I think that the rotation has been fairly effective so far, and will continue to be.

AngryAsian
10-03-2008, 01:51 PM

Very good description of Foote. I've always said that he is the type of guy that knows his role on the defense, filling it competently, and allowing the playmakers to make plays. This year, I'd say that he's probably playing a bit better than that. He's always been solid -- this year, he is a bit above solid.

I don't think Timmons starts this year unless Foote or Farrior get injured. I think that Timmons will still rotate in, and I think that the rotation has been fairly effective so far, and will continue to be.

How can you keep a playmaker like Timmons out of the starting line-up? Out of the LBs he has the greatest closing speed I've ever seen. The guy is a stud and I think once he cracks the starting line-up, Our LBs corps will make some serious noise.

steelblood
10-03-2008, 02:30 PM

How can you keep a playmaker like Timmons out of the starting line-up? Out of the LBs he has the greatest closing speed I've ever seen. The guy is a stud and I think once he cracks the starting line-up, Our LBs corps will make some serious noise.

I agree with you about his athelticism. But, he has always been, even in college, slow to react and diagnose plays. He is also weak at the POA. Lineman often eat him for lunch. Foote is not the quickest or most stout, but he is smarter, takes on blockers better, and makes better decisions and more effective first steps. Now, you may suggest that all Timmons needs is more experience. This is true and would certainly help. But, even at Florida State, Timmons had a reputation for often being the last player to react to a play. This is why I'm still confused about why we moved this guy inside. It seems like fighting through trash and reading plays are his weak points. But, running and chasing are his strong points. He is undersized for a 3-4 backer (inside or out), but his skill set screams outside.

ANPSTEEL
10-03-2008, 02:46 PM

I agree with you about his athelticism. But, he has always been, even in college, slow to react and diagnose plays. He is also weak at the POA. Lineman often eat him for lunch. Foote is not the quickest or most stout, but he is smarter, takes on blockers better, and makes better decisions and more effective first steps. Now, you may suggest that all Timmons needs is more experience. This is true and would certainly help. But, even at Florida State, Timmons had a reputation for often being the last player to react to a play. This is why I'm still confused about why we moved this guy inside. It seems like fighting through trash and reading plays are his weak points. But, running and chasing are his strong points. He is undersized for a 3-4 backer (inside or out), but his skill set screams outside.

it is interesting that you say this-

i have wondered what their intent was with timmmons...

if you look at the way he plays... he seems best suited for a 4-3 where he could realistically play either inside or out- (although - he may not be strong enough against the run to play MLB even in a 3-4... time will tell)

in a 3-4 if he is playing inside- he would seem to be better suited to play the SAM in the steeler's scheme- or the weak side OLB.

since the steelers have maintained the 3-4

my best guess...

-they didn't expect Harrison to play at the level he has- and intended him to be outside
-farrior's level of play has stayed consistent and they resigned him.

so now they have to find a way to get their 1st round pick on the field.

clearly, the weak point in the steelrs linebacking group is Foote playing on passing downs... so there you go.

phillyesq
10-03-2008, 02:56 PM

I don't want to keep him off the field, but I'm not sure that he has earned his way into the starting lineup. Neither Foote nor Farrior deserve to be benched -- they have played outstanding.

Timmons has great athleticism, but he has some problems in his game. On the goal line play where he got trucked, I'm not sure that Foote or Farrior make the stop, either, but I think that they make it a closer play.

When Woodley was in the game last year, he made plays. The Steelers couldn't keep him out of the lineup. Timmons needs to get to that same point. Early in the Ravens game, he almost made a pick on an outside route -- he likely would have taken it to the house. Instead, he missed the pick, and the Ravens scored. He is getting close, but I think that he needs to start making plays before you can push Foote or Farrior aside.

frankthetank1
10-03-2008, 03:06 PM

I don't want to keep him off the field, but I'm not sure that he has earned his way into the starting lineup. Neither Foote nor Farrior deserve to be benched -- they have played outstanding.

Timmons has great athleticism, but he has some problems in his game. On the goal line play where he got trucked, I'm not sure that Foote or Farrior make the stop, either, but I think that they make it a closer play.

When Woodley was in the game last year, he made plays. The Steelers couldn't keep him out of the lineup. Timmons needs to get to that same point. Early in the Ravens game, he almost made a pick on an outside route -- he likely would have taken it to the house. Instead, he missed the pick, and the Ravens scored. He is getting close, but I think that he needs to start making plays before you can push Foote or Farrior aside.

i didnt really fault timmons for not making that catch. that was a very very hard ball for any lb to catch. most lb'ers in the nfl wouldnt make that catch. it was excellent coverage though

AngryAsian
10-03-2008, 03:51 PM

My statement was rhetorical, brother. I meant to say that with the offensive sets we'll see this year incorporate TEs in extreme (Witten, Cooley, Gates, Winslow, Boss, Heap). With Timmons' athleticism, we get an upgrade in coverage against the TEs.

phillyesq
10-03-2008, 06:48 PM
i didnt really fault timmons for not making that catch. that was a very very hard ball for any lb to catch. most lb'ers in the nfl wouldnt make that catch. it was excellent coverage though

I don't really fault him for not making the catch, either. But making the catch is something that would have helped Timmons make the case to force himself into the starting lineup. The good coverage, with the near miss on the great play, is, IMO, the difference between him forcing himself into the lineup, and continuing in the rotation w/ Foote and Farrior.