PDA

View Full Version : As of Now: Best draft picks for the Steelers '09

BigBen2112
10-02-2008, 11:56 AM
Very early, but looking ahead to the draft there is a huge need for the Steelers to beef up on both lines and here are the best seniors at the positions of need for the Steelers thus far in the season:

OL:
-Michael Oher, OT, Mississippi
-Eugene Monroe, OT, Virginia--good pass blocker
-Alex Mack, OC, Cal----might actually be the best lineman in the whole draft
-Duke Robinson, OG, Oklahoma--he was linked to the Steelers early last year before he returned to school
-Johnathan Luigs, OT/OC, Arkansas
-Jason Smith, OT, Baylor
-Jamon Meredith, OT, South Carolina
-Phil Loadholt, OT, Oklahoma
-Xavier Fulton, OT, Illinois

And those above are SENIORS alone. There will be some good/decent non-senior players come out as well of course. The chances are pretty good that we could get a good OL in the 1/2 round I do believe. Remember Eric Wood OC from Louisville would be another good OL in the 3/4 round range.

DL:
-Michael Johnson, DE, Georgia Tech
-Tyson Jackson, DE, LSU
-Brian Orakpo, DE, Texas
-Terrence Taylor, DT, Michigan
-B.J. Raji, DT, Boston College
-Pannel Egboh, DE, Stanford
-Matt Shaughnessy, DE, Wisconsin
-Fili Moala, DT, USC
-Evander Hood, DT/DE, Missouri

I also really like "Mount" Cody from Alabama. The dude is like 6'6" 395lbs and MOVES the line. He'd be a great addition to our DL as well.

The way the draft would be cool if it went down:
1. Duke Robinson-will move to OT
2. Pannel Egboh-DE for us
3. "Mount" Terrence Cody- DT
3. Eric Wood- OC/OG
4. Curtis Taylor- S

I'd also like to get a FB and another OL...and maybe an ILB.

MeetJoeGreene
10-02-2008, 12:18 PM
Why would you draft Robinson and move him to tackle rather than a pure OT? We are going to need him to play probably,right away.

I would be concerned about him making both the transition to NFL AND a position change at once ... unless it is coupled with signing a stopgap OT for a year or so.

BigBen2112
10-02-2008, 01:00 PM
Why would you draft Robinson and move him to tackle rather than a pure OT? We are going to need him to play probably,right away.

I would be concerned about him making both the transition to NFL AND a position change at once ... unless it is coupled with signing a stopgap OT for a year or so.

Branden Albert?

Oviedo
10-02-2008, 01:09 PM
Round 1: DL, hopefully Moala
Round 2: OL/C, Alex Mack?
Round 3: CB to replace McFadeen who is unlikely to be here
Round 3 Comp (for Faneca): DL
Round 4: OL

After that best players available

RuthlessBurgher
10-02-2008, 01:12 PM

Franchise Marvel in '09. There's your stopgap. Unlike transitioning Max in '08, Marvel would be worth the money for a one year franchise deal until the rook was ready to start in 2010. The team would likely be wary of signing Marvel long term with a big bonus due to his age and injury history, so franchising him may be the way to go. It does not seem like he would be the pouting type like Faneca was.

frankthetank1
10-02-2008, 02:02 PM

why dont you think mcfadden will be re-signed? i would think they would have a lot of room under the cap next year

Oviedo
10-02-2008, 02:11 PM

Franchise Marvel in '09. There's your stopgap. Unlike transitioning Max in '08, Marvel would be worth the money for a one year franchise deal until the rook was ready to start in 2010. The team would likely be wary of signing Marvel long term with a big bonus due to his age and injury history, so franchising him may be the way to go. It does not seem like he would be the pouting type like Faneca was.

Absolutley agree with tagging either Smith or Kemo. I hope they sign Kemo and tag Smith. That locks down the left side for 2009. It gives Hills another year to develop and it lets you bring in two young players for the right side, preferably RT & Center, and you still have Hartwig, Colon and Simmons so they have time to develop or push those veterans out. It does not make any sense to try to add more than 2-3 linemen in a single off season cycle because IMO it is too disruptive.

I would also look to add 2 on the DL and I would make sure that one of them is Hampton's future replacement at NT--if we stay 3-4. The other could be a DE groomed to be able to play on either side.

Oviedo
10-02-2008, 02:17 PM

why dont you think mcfadden will be re-signed? i would think they would have a lot of room under the cap next year

CB tends to break the bank and the value that McFadden will demand goes up with every game he starts. His new agent is also known for getting top dollar. I think the chances of McFadden returning are less than 50/50 unless he just wants to be a Steeler. This is where not negotiating during the season is a dumb business move for the organization because we have total control over the negotiating rights unlike what will happen in February when the feeding frenzy starts.

I'm not sure we have all that much cap because we need to resign either Smith or Kemo and tag the other. We also have to get Hines to redo his contract and should probably start thinking about extending Santonio, Harrison, Colon and possibly Woodley.

frankthetank1
10-02-2008, 02:25 PM

CB tends to break the bank and the value that McFadden will demand goes up with every game he starts. His new agent is also known for getting top dollar. I think the chances of McFadden returning are less than 50/50 unless he just wants to be a Steeler. This is where not negotiating during the season is a dumb business move for the organization because we have total control over the negotiating rights unlike what will happen in February when the feeding frenzy starts.

I'm not sure we have all that much cap because we need to resign either Smith or Kemo and tag the other. We also have to get Hines to redo his contract and should probably start thinking about extending Santonio, Harrison, Colon and possibly Woodley.

cb's do get huge pay day's but i think bmac has to have a pro bowl year to get in the range of the higher paid cb's in the nfl. what has he really done before this year? i mean he has shown flashes but thats it. i forgot about holmes, they should definetly be extending his contract soon. who is bmac's agent? its not rosenhaus is it? i will be very dissapointed if they do lose him, but you cant afford to lose woodley or harrison. i really think they should get rid of simmons. that would help some, but they also have to sign kemo. i agree its so stupid not negotiating during the season. that is my only real complaint i have about the dan rooney

BigBen2112
10-02-2008, 02:31 PM

I think Moala has a better chance being available in the 2nd round than Mack, but we'll see.

Oviedo
10-02-2008, 02:31 PM

cb's do get huge pay day's but i think bmac has to have a pro bowl year to get in the range of the higher paid cb's in the nfl. what has he really done before this year? i mean he has shown flashes but thats it. i forgot about holmes, they should definetly be extending his contract soon. who is bmac's agent? its not rosenhaus is it? i will be very dissapointed if they do lose him, but you cant afford to lose woodley or harrison. i really think they should get rid of simmons. that would help some, but they also have to sign kemo. i agree its so stupid not negotiating during the season. that is my only real complaint i have about the dan rooney

Bmac switched his agent to Drew Rosenhaus this past summer. He's a goner!

Jom112
10-02-2008, 02:32 PM
3. Eric Wood- OC/OG
4. Curtis Taylor- S

Pretty good draft. As for FB's you could take Jorvorskie Lane, I think he had like 19 TD's one season. He would be great for any goal line/short yardage situations plus he should be around in the 5th. I'm actually hoping he drops to us in that round in my mock:

1st Round - George Selvie, DE, USF
2nd Round - Alex Mack, C, California
3rd Round - Darry Beckwith, ILB, LSU or Jasper Brinkley, ILB, South Carolina
3rd Round (Comp for Justin Smith) - Fenuki Tupou, OT, Oregon
4th Round -
5th Round - Jorvorskie Lane, FB, Texas A&M
6th Round -
6th Round (Comp for Landon Johnson)-
7th Round -

Still contemplating some picks...

ikestops85
10-02-2008, 02:53 PM
Nooooooo ... not mock drafts already.

http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10711/freaking.jpg

Iron Shiek
10-02-2008, 02:54 PM
3. Eric Wood- OC/OG
4. Curtis Taylor- S

Pretty good draft. As for FB's you could take Jorvorskie Lane, I think he had like 19 TD's one season. He would be great for any goal line/short yardage situations plus he should be around in the 5th. I'm actually hoping he drops to us in that round in my mock:

1st Round - George Selvie, DE, USF
2nd Round - Alex Mack, C, California
3rd Round - Darry Beckwith, ILB, LSU or Jasper Brinkley, ILB, South Carolina
3rd Round (Comp for Justin Smith) - Fenuki Tupou, OT, Oregon
4th Round -
5th Round - Jorvorskie Lane, FB, Texas A&M
6th Round -
6th Round (Comp for Landon Johnson)-
7th Round -

Still contemplating some picks...

Jom the problem with these picks is that I don't think any of them have character issues/arrests. I think you gotta mix in at least two with your remaining open spots.

Iron Shiek
10-02-2008, 02:56 PM

http://www.picpop.com/gallery/albums/userpics/10711/freaking.jpg

Good god that kid must've watched that Al Davis press conference...that'll scare the bejesus (?) out of anyone.

As for mock drafts...its never too early (i guess for fans it could be). But our scouts/coaching staff needs to be watching these kids play and start formulating some high level ideas...no? Always good to have a plan...even if its high level.

Jom112
10-02-2008, 02:58 PM
Jom the problem with these picks is that I don't think any of them have character issues/arrests. I think you gotta mix in at least two with your remaining open spots.

So in the 3rd round instead of Beckwith or Jasper I could see Mike Brown going for Dannell Ellerbe (ILB from Georgia) instead. I originally was thinking of mocking us to select him but he's got a checked past. So while I remove him from my draft board, Mike Brown probably has him ranked higher on his.

It wouldn't surprise me at all if we drafted Ellerbe. I mean we just have such great luck with LB's with legal troubles from Georgia you know... :HeadBanger

It's not too early for me...

frankthetank1
10-02-2008, 03:15 PM

Bmac switched his agent to Drew Rosenhaus this past summer. He's a goner!

oh know it is rosenhaus!!! your right he is as good as gone now

Shawn
10-02-2008, 03:16 PM

That is extactly what I was thinking. While some OGs make a successful transition to OTs I would much rather have a pure OT.

Oviedo
10-02-2008, 03:49 PM

That is extactly what I was thinking. While some OGs make a successful transition to OTs I would much rather have a pure OT.

We are deep at the interior OL with Hartwig, Stapleton, Kemo and Simmons. Add that Essex and Colon both could play the interior line if required. We need OTs which is why I see Simmons most likely being franchised. I see no reason we go for a Guard ahead of OT or Center.

RuthlessBurgher
10-02-2008, 04:26 PM

We are deep at the interior OL with Hartwig, Stapleton, Kemo and Simmons. Add that Essex and Colon both could play the interior line if required. We need OTs which is why I see Simmons most likely being franchised. I see no reason we go for a Guard ahead of OT or Center.

Simmons is locked up for next season. Only free agents get franchised.

ikestops85
10-02-2008, 04:40 PM

Simmons is locked up for next season. Only free agents get franchised.

I think he meant Smith, not Simmons.

buckeyehoppy
10-02-2008, 07:30 PM
The Steelers ABSOLUTELY MUST DRAFT AN OT IN THE 1st ROUND!!!

With that in mind, it would be tres cool if Eugene Monroe was on the board when the Steelers selected. That's the way I would go.

A lot of up and down action is going to occur between now and April with draft prospects, but I would love to see a draft like this:

Round 1: Eugene Monroe-OT-Virginia. Along with franchising Marvel (excellent idea RB!), this kid gets groomed to take over LT in 2010. He has nice size and speed and has a good grasp of blocking for the passing game

Round 2: Fili Moala-DT-USC. They should consider a trade up for him. I would trade the 2nd this year and a 3rd next for the right to move into this pick. With what the Steelers have been losing or have lost in FA, they may be getting 3rd round comps for the next few years. Moala is a necessary get with the issues Hampton is having injury-wise.

Round 3 (Regular): Alex Boone-OT-Ohio State. The Steelers should also consider moving up to get him as well if he's still available in the third. He could contribute immediately and eventually take over the RT slot where he would thrive. The Steelers need two tackles in the first three rounds to recoup FA losses and under performance by current players. If Boonie was available here, the Steelers would be stupid not to chase him down.

Round 3 (Comp): Wopamo Osaisai-CB-Stanford. He becomes necessary early in the process because of the age of Townsend and the probable exodus of McFadden. He's also a track athlete, so I like the prospect of someone in the back that can use top speed in pursuit of ball carriers.

That's just a cross-section of what the early rounds could look like. I wouldn't bet that this particular mock will hold up like this. But it is likely that the need pattern would indicate the positions, and not so much the players indicated, be drafted in those spots.

The Steelers are in VERY REAL NEED at the T position. That's where I would draft. If the Steelers want to go with Gs and Cs in FA, that may be a more economical solution to adding via FA. I would guess, though, that the Steelers will eventually move Colon to G out of necessity and because it's his more natural position anyway.

Lots of time for this to shake out, though. Who knows? Right now, the AFC is up for grabs and the Steelers could still contend. We don't even know where the Steelers will end up in the order.