PDA

View Full Version : ESPN a quote about Silverback

anger 82&95
10-01-2008, 12:27 PM
Who's hot?

1. James Harrison, LB, Pittsburgh Steelers

"At some point, we may start calling Harrison "Mr. Monday Night." The Pittsburgh Steelers outside linebacker showed up with yet another huge performance on "Monday Night Football." Harrison had 11 tackles and 2.5 sacks, and his game-changing forced fumble against Baltimore Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco led to a defensive touchdown and helped breathe new life into the Steelers in the second half of last night's 23-20 overtime win."

SteelerNation1
10-01-2008, 12:36 PM
Didn't Chadman post a thread last week labeling Harrison "Mr. Monday Night?" Creepy! :lol:

anger 82&95
10-01-2008, 12:40 PM
Didn't Chadman post a thread last week labeling Harrison "Mr. Monday Night?" Creepy! :lol:Itís possible; I actually think Chadman knows more about the Steelers than the majority of the ESPN personnel.

proudpittsburgher
10-01-2008, 12:47 PM
I've heard him called that before on ESPN.

Oviedo
10-01-2008, 12:54 PM
Got to be honest and say that I was concerned about Harrison going into last year even though I was glad to see Porter go. He has been everything we could have hoped for. I just hope that with Woodley on the other side he doesn't have the late season swoon he did last year. The FO did an amazing job rebuilding our LB corps in just one year to what has to be considered Top 5 in the NFL. Shows what can be accomplished with a plan--hopefully the OL and DL are next on the list.

NC Steeler Fan
10-01-2008, 12:54 PM
You guys should read the opening chapter of that new book:
"Steelers Nation" where the author speaks with Harrison's parents
and you learn that he's always had the demeanor we see today.

The book then recounts the game where Harrison ran into Casey's butt
and went numb on the field (Buffalo game we won like 26-3).

The rumor is that once he regained mobility, he trashed the inside
of an ambulance before stomping back to the sidelines where no
one wanted to get close to him to tell him to go back to the locker
room for fear of his wrath over the docs not letting him back in
the game!

I hope there's more in the book about him as I read further!

He's a baaaaaaad man! 8)

AngryAsian
10-01-2008, 02:04 PM
Got to be honest and say that I was concerned about Harrison going into last year even though I was glad to see Porter go. He has been everything we could have hoped for. I just hope that with Woodley on the other side he doesn't have the late season swoon he did last year. The FO did an amazing job rebuilding our LB corps in just one year to what has to be considered Top 5 in the NFL. Shows what can be accomplished with a plan--hopefully the OL and DL are next on the list.

That's why I have confidence that the FO know what their doing as far as player acquisition. Let's face it, is there anybody (starters or subs) on our DL that were upper echelon picks when they were at the collegiate level. This organization has had the knack to find not only football players, but character people as well.

frankthetank1
10-01-2008, 03:09 PM
The book then recounts the game where Harrison ran into Casey's butt
and went numb on the field (Buffalo game we won like 26-3).

The rumor is that once he regained mobility, he trashed the inside
of an ambulance before stomping back to the sidelines where no
one wanted to get close to him to tell him to go back to the locker
room for fear of his wrath over the docs not letting him back in
the game!

I hope there's more in the book about him as I read further!

He's a baaaaaaad man!

wow that is crazy, what a lunatic!! i remember that game and i remember thinking he would probably be done for the year and hoping he was ok, it was a scary injury at the time.

rpmpit
10-01-2008, 03:24 PM
I wish we could call him "Mr. Every Damn Game" :evil:

I mean, didn't we used to get on Porter for having huge prime time games and then disappearing for a while?

frankthetank1
10-01-2008, 03:31 PM

I mean, didn't we used to get on Porter for having huge prime time games and then disappearing for a while?

that is very true but even the best of the best have sub par games. i remember plenty of games where LT was almost a non factor. not many but it happened sometimes

BigRob
10-01-2008, 04:42 PM

Guy has played like a beast every game this year, what the hell more do you want from him? He's second in the NFL with 5.5 sacks in 4 games this year. He's a half a sack behind the leader. Sorry, but I gotta call you out on this one. He may have dissappeared last year, but lets continue to see what he does this year with another bonafied pass rusher in Woodley on the other side.

rpmpit
10-01-2008, 06:00 PM

Guy has played like a beast every game this year, what the hell more do you want from him? He's second in the NFL with 5.5 sacks in 4 games this year. He's a half a sack behind the leader. Sorry, but I gotta call you out on this one. He may have dissappeared last year, but lets continue to see what he does this year with another bonafied pass rusher in Woodley on the other side.

I was talking mainly about last year. I guess I should have been clearer about that. Can you name a game off the top of your head where he had even half the performance he put out in the Monday night Baltimore game? Granted, that was an "in the zone" type of game, but still.

Don't get me wrong, I love Harrison. I just wish he could be "silverback" 24/7. I guess maybe that's too much to ask.

Any of you old timers remember Lambert's playing days. I'm just curious if there were times when he disappeared on the field. I can't imagine that he ever did.

NorthCoast
10-02-2008, 09:35 PM
Honestly, Harrison needs to buy Woodley a companion ticket to Hawaii this year. I think Harrison is directly benefitting from Woodley on the other side. I think opponents are truly more concerned with Woodley and that focus is to Harrison's benefit. We are seeing the results.

AngryAsian
10-02-2008, 09:59 PM
It would be nice if both Woodley and Harrison posted 12+ sacks a piece this year. Talk about a pass rush. A co-worker stopped me in the halls earlier and congratulated me on the Steeler's win on MNF. He just kept going on and on about how nasty our defense is and wished his team (Miami) had such D. I hope we record some serious sacks in Jax this Sunday night.

RuthlessBurgher
10-02-2008, 10:11 PM
Honestly, Harrison needs to buy Woodley a companion ticket to Hawaii this year. I think Harrison is directly benefitting from Woodley on the other side. I think opponents are truly more concerned with Woodley and that focus is to Harrison's benefit. We are seeing the results.

If things keep up they way they have been...Harrison may not need to buy Woodley a ticket. The league may buy one for Woodley as well. :tt2 :Steel :tt1

birtikidis
10-02-2008, 10:14 PM
with all the injuries jax has on the oline, we should be able to knock some out!

Slapstick
10-03-2008, 09:25 AM
Why exactly do people say that James Harrison disappears?

Simply because he doesn't get a sack in every game?

rpmpit
10-03-2008, 09:31 AM

Its not just sacks, its also pressure and hurries. When opposing qbs have all day to sit in the pocket and throw the ball how can you not get frustrated at our lack of pass rush?

Again, I love Harrison. But if you want an example of a player who doesn't disappear just look at Troy. He's healthy now and is everywhere on every play. Ike got beat twice last week and it would have been 14 points for the Ravens but Troy broke up both deep passes. That's the kind of play I want from all of our guys.

frankthetank1
10-03-2008, 10:28 AM

Its not just sacks, its also pressure and hurries. When opposing qbs have all day to sit in the pocket and throw the ball how can you not get frustrated at our lack of pass rush?

Again, I love Harrison. But if you want an example of a player who doesn't disappear just look at Troy. He's healthy now and is everywhere on every play. Ike got beat twice last week and it would have been 14 points for the Ravens but Troy broke up both deep passes. That's the kind of play I want from all of our guys.

i know where your coming from and i agree pretty much about harrison. every player has off games, but its not fair to compare his play to troy's. there are very few players that make an impact in every game like troy does (when healthy). troy is a very very special and rare player. those two plays you mentioned were unbelievable. the guy reacts quicker than any other safety

rpmpit
10-03-2008, 10:33 AM

i know where your coming from and i agree pretty much about harrison. every player has off games, but its not fair to compare his play to troy's. there are very few players that make an impact in every game like troy does (when healthy). troy is a very very special and rare player. those two plays you mentioned were unbelievable. the guy reacts quicker than any other safety

Agreed 1000%. I said I wanted that kind of play from all our players. But I know that realistically, it ain't gonna happen.

Slapstick
10-03-2008, 12:41 PM
Well, I think it's important to note that Harrison does more than just rush the passer...

The guy also led the team in tackles and creates turnovers...can you recall anyone breaking a James Harrison tackle?

Finally, he had 10 tackles along with 1 and a half sacks against J'ville in the playoffs...

He deserves the accolades he's received...I guess I just disagree about the "disappearing" comment...

rpmpit
10-03-2008, 01:28 PM
Well, I think it's important to note that Harrison does more than just rush the passer...

The guy also led the team in tackles and creates turnovers...can you recall anyone breaking a James Harrison tackle?

Finally, he had 10 tackles along with 1 and a half sacks against J'ville in the playoffs...

He deserves the accolades he's received...I guess I just disagree about the "disappearing" comment...

2 tackles in the Eagles game. No sacks, no ints, no fumbles. That's what I call disappearing by a Pro Bowl linebacker.

Slapstick
10-06-2008, 09:41 AM
2 tackles in the Eagles game. No sacks, no ints, no fumbles. That's what I call disappearing by a Pro Bowl linebacker.

How did he do last night?

rpmpit
10-06-2008, 09:46 AM

How did he do last night?

I knew this thread would come back today :lol: :lol:

He did AWESOME last night. The dude is a MONSTER .

Now what is wrong with me wanting him to have that kind of performance every week???

frankthetank1
10-06-2008, 09:49 AM
i loved seeing tomlin put harrison in a head lock when they were celebrating the win after stopping jax's last drive. i dont think this has been mentioned but what a great move by lebeau on that last drive. i was worried that the steelers would be playing a soft zone and give them the underneath, but they still were sending harrison and woodley. that was a great call!!