PDA

View Full Version : Pretty funny Jeff Reed comment

Oviedo
10-01-2008, 11:01 AM
Got this from Tunch's article on SteelCityInsider. Great statement from Tomlin.

"Best quote of the day. From Mike Tomlin to Jeff Reed in the tunnel outside the Steelers locker room post-game: “Can’t freeze a psychopath!” "

Jeff Reed is money. Can't believe he still get criticism here at times. He was a great pick up by the FO.

papillon
10-01-2008, 11:03 AM

"Best quote of the day. From Mike Tomlin to Jeff Reed in the tunnel outside the Steelers locker room post-game: “Can’t freeze a psychopath!” "

Jeff Reed is money. Can't believe he still get criticism here at times. He was a great pick up by the FO.

That's an instant classic, right up there with Peyton's "...our liquored up kicker..." :Bow to Mike Tomlin for that comment.

Pappy

steelernation77
10-01-2008, 11:07 AM
Jeff Reed is sweet. He's crazy as hell!

Oviedo
10-01-2008, 11:21 AM

That's an instant classic, right up there with Peyton's "...our liquored up kicker..." :Bow to Mike Tomlin for that comment.

Pappy

That may be the best one-liner I have ever heard a coach make ever. I wonder if you asked the players in the locker room who scared them the most whether they would say Silverback or the "Psychopath?"
:lol: :lol:

proudpittsburgher
10-01-2008, 11:33 AM
Can anyone please confirm the story on how Reed was named the Steelers kicker. I seem to remember back when Kris Brown was in the middle of his head-case woes, Cowher brought in a few kickers to try out on, at the time, a really muddy and poor playing surface at Heinze Field, and he won the job in a rainstorm.

rpmpit
10-01-2008, 11:37 AM

Awesome!!!

frankthetank1
10-01-2008, 11:52 AM
that is so funny. who criticizes reed? the guy is automatic and has been the best kicker since gary anderson (norm was very good though). even reed's ko's have been money this year

MeetJoeGreene
10-01-2008, 12:06 PM
Can't freeze a psychopath. That is an awesome line!!

NC Steeler Fan
10-01-2008, 12:19 PM
Well, I'll say this much about Jeff...he's been our on-field kicking
coach/trainer for every single Women's Camp I've been to since 2003
and he's almost the unsung highlight of camp every year.

Although he is obviously committed to teaching us about his job
and is always very professional and sharp in his thinking, he IS a friggin'
fruitcake on top of all that!

His saracasm and wise-cracking are hilarious year after year; he loves
to talk trash with any willing participant! However, the best part is how
he doesn't hold back when it comes to criticizing himself. Although some
of his banter seems kinds of arrogant at first, we all soon realized that
he's actually a pretty selfless guy at heart and he'll be the first one to
slam his own performance in a story about a particular play or game and
say how much he wants to help out the team by getting it right.

This past year was kinda funny in that when it was his turn in the line-up
to kick a FG, he said that for every kick he missed he'd do 50 push ups!
I think he only missed one and then laughingly sped through his push ups,
stopping suddenly a few times to talk trash to someone cracking on him.

He definitly is a hoot!

The funny thing is you never seen Jeff without Greg Warren. Those two
are like Mutt and Jeff, frick and frack, two peas in a pod (for all you old timers
out there)...anyways, you get my drift. I bet Greg could tell some stories!!

Iron Shiek
10-01-2008, 12:23 PM
Speakin of Jeff Reed. Did anyone hear Al Michael's comments during the Monday Night telecast as they were going to commercial after a kickoff. He said something to the effect of "Yeah, you can find pictures of Reed all over the internet." I lost it...Al's been checkin out the Psychopath obviously...Holmes too? :shock:

SteelerNation1
10-01-2008, 12:39 PM
Can anyone please confirm the story on how Reed was named the Steelers kicker. I seem to remember back when Kris Brown was in the middle of his head-case woes, Cowher brought in a few kickers to try out on, at the time, a really muddy and poor playing surface at Heinze Field, and he won the job in a rainstorm.
Nov 2002, Todd Peterson got hurt and the Steelers broight in 4 Kickers, including Reed. Legend has it, he kicked a 73 yard FG in a driving windstorm at Heinz. He was only wearing a beach towel and flip flops. :lol:

proudpittsburgher
10-01-2008, 12:50 PM
Nov 2002, Todd Peterson got hurt and the Steelers broight in 4 Kickers, including Reed. Legend has it, he kicked a 73 yard FG in a driving windstorm at Heinz. He was only wearing a beach towel and flip flops. :lol:

And his hairrrrr was perfect! :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
10-01-2008, 12:52 PM

And his hairrrrr was perfect! :lol:

Great...now "Werewolves of London" will be stuck in my head for the rest of the afternoon. :lol: Aaa-Ooooooooooooooooh!!!

steelblood
10-01-2008, 05:23 PM
No doubt Mike Tomlin is funny, tough, and develops bonds with his players. I really hope he pans out as a coach.

BTW, most entertaining thread of the week. From Greg Warren to Warren Zevon! Genius.

NKySteeler
10-01-2008, 05:33 PM
One of the best free agent pick-ups we've made since '02, IMO...

This year he's 6/6 on field goals and 8/8 on xpts... and has only missed 2 field goals in his last 38 attempts... The kid is money! I don't care how crazy he is as long as he keeps splitting the uprights!

LasVegasGuy
10-01-2008, 06:21 PM

This year he's 6/6 on field goals and 8/8 on xpts... and has only missed 2 field goals in his last 38 attempts... The kid is money! I don't care how crazy he is as long as he keeps splitting the uprights!

Agreed. When he lines up for a field goal I don't have a sick feeling in my stomach. I assume he is going to make it.

Mel Blount's G
10-01-2008, 06:26 PM
and has only missed 2 field goals in his last 38 attempts...
One of those was a 65 yarder to end a half against Denver last year that didn't miss by much and the other was a 44 yarder in that 3-0 scoring clinic win over miami in the mud last year, a game that he eventually won for us

He is the 3rd leading scorer in steeler history (645) behind Gary Anderson (1,343) and Roy Gerela (731) and he could possibly pass Gerela this year.

He also has 13 tackles, 11 which are solo, which is about a dozen more then Anderson and Gerela put together I'd guess :lol:

Greg Warren ==> Warren Zevon = Nice!

NKySteeler
10-01-2008, 06:29 PM
One of those was a 65 yarder to end a half against Denver last year that didn't miss by much and the other was a 44 yarder in that 3-0 scoring clinic win over miami in the mud last year, a game that he eventually won for us

He is the 3rd leading scorer in steeler history (645) behind Gary Anderson (1,343) and Roy Gerela (731) and he could possibly pass Gerela this year.

He also has 13 tackles, 11 which are solo, which is about a dozen more then Anderson and Gerela put together I'd guess :lol:

I'm actually suprised that with those sort of stats/numbers/facts that he isn't spending more time in Hawaii in February...

Chadman
10-01-2008, 07:04 PM

Hehe...wouldn't surprise Chadman if Jeff Reed has split quite a few 'uprights'....

Was Jeff Reed the guy that kicked with the squared off kicking shoe?

Mel Blount's G
10-01-2008, 07:49 PM
http://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/en/8/88/Tom_dempsey.jpg

steeler_fan_in_t.o.
10-02-2008, 09:14 AM

I'm actually suprised that with those sort of stats/numbers/facts that he isn't spending more time in Hawaii in February...

Now add the fact that he kicks on the worst surface in the NFL in a stadium where there has never been a FG over 50 yards (just heard that one on Monday Night) and his numbers are even more remarkable.

IMO not enough credit is given to players who play in harsher conditions. Take a Peyton Manning for example. Of course he is a great QB, one of the greatest in history! However, what happens if you take him out of his climate controlled carpeted stadium and drop him in Buffalo, Pittsburgh, Green Bay? I'm sure he would still be great, but can he put up nearly the same numbers thowing through a windy rain or snowstorm in December?

Slapstick
10-02-2008, 09:38 AM
Two Things:

1) I can't believe that some Steelers fans bitched when Reed got his last contract...

2) When you consider that Ben is now, officially, one of the all-time great QBs (at least when considering YpA and Passer Rating) and you look at the only other QB who is on both lists, Kurt Warner, and you consider that Warner played in a dome when he racked up those statistics, it makes Ben's accomplishment even more remarkable...

Producing at a high level despite playing outside in a cold weather stadium makes both Reed and Roethlisberger look even better, IMO...

papillon
10-02-2008, 10:05 AM
Two Things:

1) I can't believe that some Steelers fans bitched when Reed got his last contract...

2) When you consider that Ben is now, officially, one of the all-time great QBs (at least when considering YpA and Passer Rating) and you look at the only other QB who is on both lists, Kurt Warner, and you consider that Warner played in a dome when he racked up those statistics, it makes Ben's accomplishment even more remarkable...

Producing at a high level despite playing outside in a cold weather stadium makes both Reed and Roethlisberger look even better, IMO...

and, you may not like this, but, Tom Brady and Adam Vinatieri...just sayin

Pappy

Slapstick
10-02-2008, 01:30 PM
and, you may not like this, but, Tom Brady and Adam Vinatieri...just sayin

Pappy

Oh no, you have to hand it to Vinateri for his tenure in Foxboro...

Brady, on the other hand, is just a cheater who doesn't even rank in the Top 20 All-Time YpA...

Besides, his career is over a la Carson Palmer...except Brady is older...I don't think he'll ever be the same...

Djfan
10-02-2008, 01:31 PM
Every once in a while these threads make me feel like I'm with a bunch of guys in a bar in Pittsburgh.

This is one of those threads.

Thanks everyone!! You've made my day!

Go Steelers!

Iron Shiek
10-02-2008, 02:12 PM
Since this is a Jeff Reed thread, i came across a funny jeff reed picture. What was he saying to Ed Reed?

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/images/200809/dianasteelers0930i_330.jpg

Reed, Jeff: "Mines is about this much bigger than Santonio's Ed...you gotta look at the pictures again...I'm tellin you!"

Reed, Ed: "Whatever Kicker!"

ikestops85
10-02-2008, 03:01 PM
Since this is a Jeff Reed thread, i came across a funny jeff reed picture. What was he saying to Ed Reed?

Reed, Jeff: "Mines is about this much bigger than Santonio's Ed...you gotta look at the pictures again...I'm tellin you!"

a nice photoshop but a photoshop none the less. :wink:

Iron Shiek
10-02-2008, 03:25 PM

i didn't get your comment. Did you mean it makes for a good photoshop opportunity, or that it was a photoshopped pic. If its the latter, here is the link:

http://www.post-gazette.com/pg/08276/916742-66.stm

Also in the article is a good story about it being Ben's 100th TD pass...but nobody really talked about it...

rpmpit
10-02-2008, 03:31 PM
[quote="Iron Shiek":3q6rppig]Since this is a Jeff Reed thread, i came across a funny jeff reed picture. What was he saying to Ed Reed?

i didn't get your comment. Did you mean it makes for a good photoshop opportunity, or that it was a photoshopped pic. If its the latter, here is the link:

Also in the article is a good story about it being Ben's 100th TD pass...but nobody really talked about it...[/quote:3q6rppig]

Yeah, I didn't think it was a photoshop. And it seems that Jeff could just be commenting on how close the ball was to the upright on the winning kick.

And I never thought about the fact that Jeff and Ed had the same last name. Do you guys think they're related?? :? :lol:

EDIT: DUH, the caption under the pic says the same thing about the ball being close to the upright. I'm an azz :oops:

RuthlessBurgher
10-02-2008, 03:37 PM
Ed Reed claims to have never seen the pictures of Jeff Reed's...umm...Willie Reed on the internet, so one Reed is showing another Reed the length of his Reed.

(I know Willie's name is spelled Reid...just humor me)

ikestops85
10-02-2008, 04:13 PM
[quote="Iron Shiek":24ueg0ai]Since this is a Jeff Reed thread, i came across a funny jeff reed picture. What was he saying to Ed Reed?

Also in the article is a good story about it being Ben's 100th TD pass...but nobody really talked about it...[/quote:24ueg0ai]

Wow, I thought for sure that it was a photoshop. Take a look at Ed Reed's hand in that picture. It looks like he could fit Jeff's head, helmet and all, in his palm and it would look like he was holding a softball. The guy has gargantuan mitts. :shock:

MeetJoeGreene
10-02-2008, 09:33 PM
http://i225.photobucket.com/albums/dd279/jbitty29/poster86820515.jpg

RuthlessBurgher
10-02-2008, 10:05 PM

:lol:

Thankfully, you didn't use the picture from the shower. :shock:

MeetJoeGreene
10-02-2008, 11:32 PM

:lol:

Thankfully, you didn't use the picture from the shower. :shock:

Dude... you don't know how close I came to doing that....