PDA

View Full Version : Anyone still think that the OL is fine?

Steeler Mafia
10-01-2008, 10:21 AM
I was just sitting here at work wondering if there is anyone in the Steeler Nation that thinks our OL is still going to be fine this year. So far, in 4 games, we have lost 3 running backs and have a multi-million dollar QB that has been re-assembled much like Young Frankenstein. What is it going to take before someone within the organization realizes that we need more protection and need to create more holes in the trenches? A decapitation? This has gone on way too long without being addressed, and I don't see how we will survive the rest of the season. Granted, we have a buy week coming up to get healthy, but after, we will have to play an 11 game stretch plus the playoffs if we make it that far. I want to be optamistic, however, if this were texas holdem' we would be looking at a 7 - deuce off-suit. :? Even against a low pair, the odds are against us.

Thoughts?

P.S Don't even get me started about Bruce Arians and his playcalling! What a schmuck!

papillon
10-01-2008, 10:30 AM
I was just sitting here at work wondering if there is anyone in the Steeler Nation that thinks our OL is still going to be fine this year. So far, in 4 games, we have lost 3 running backs and have a multi-million dollar QB that has been re-assembled much like Young Frankenstein. What is it going to take before someone within the organization realizes that we need more protection and need to create more holes in the trenches? A decapitation? This has gone on way too long without being addressed, and I don't see how we will survive the rest of the season. Granted, we have a buy week coming up to get healthy, but after, we will have to play an 11 game stretch plus the playoffs if we make it that far. I want to be optamistic, however, if this were texas holdem' we would be looking at a 7 - deuce off-suit. :? Even against a low pair, the odds are against us.

Thoughts?

P.S Don't even get me started about Bruce Arians and his playcalling! What a schmuck!

Mendenhall took a direct hit to the shoulder after a nice gain, so there was a hole there. It was just unfortunate. I did not see how Davis or Parker twisted an ankle or sprained a knee, but, I have a hard time blaiming it on the o-line. RBs receive the most punishment in the game as it is played today.

Ben, on the other hand, is a different story and the second half of the Ravens game gives me hope that the Steelers are going to be able to keep him upright and protected. No sacks, some pressures, hurries and hits, but, not nearly the carnage of the 6 quarters prior.

Quarterbacks get hit while standing in awkward positions and that leads to a lot of the issues with a quarterback. I mentioned this before, that, I'd rather see Ben on some designed rollouts, even if he gets hit, typically, it's a player chasing from behind that grabs and slides down to the legs to trip him up.

Where as when he's standing in the pocket he's striding into a throw or back pedaling and takes a blind side shot or a direct hit from the front. The play calling can help Ben stay healthy to a degree and the beauty of designed roll outs is that you're lpaying to one of Ben's strengths as a quarterback, making something happen on the move.

I'm cautiously optimistic moving forward. We shall see how it goes form here, the schedule gets very difficult in a few weeks.

Pappy

dcsteelerfan
10-01-2008, 10:39 AM
I doubt there is anyone on this MB that thinks the Oline is fine, but there is really nothing they can do about it until the offseason. Ben will continue to get hit partially because of the way he plays the game, but mostly due to the Oline not being able to pick up the blitz (or even stop a 4 man rush). But the injuries to the RBs had nothing to do with the Oline, unless you think that an Olineman should have decleated Lewis so Mendenhall wouldn't have had to meet him one on one.

Steeler Mafia
10-01-2008, 10:53 AM
You are quite right Pappy. I was just reflecting on Monday's game and in the second half. We had more success in a no-huddle and had more success hitting Moore out of the backfiled, something we have not done a lot of this season. If we can get a little more stability on the OL, not much, but a little, and have Ben utilize the quick hits to the TE and RB, that should keep an opposing D on their heels. This is most likely a result of allowing Ben to call his own plays rather than leaving it up to Bruce Arians and his brainless playcalling.

I think Stapleton did a good job filling in for Simmons and, to me, it looked like the OL was a bit stronger the second half of that game. The offense sputtered and showed signs of life. We just need a tune-up and in the right positions. Defensively, we are hitting on all cylinders. Offensively, we are still not on the same page. I would really like to know what is going on behind the scenes, because listening to Tomlin, he isn't showing his hand and doesn't seem to be that concerned.

proudpittsburgher
10-01-2008, 10:55 AM
I doubt there is anyone on this MB that thinks the Oline is fine, but there is really nothing they can do about it until the offseason. Ben will continue to get hit partially because of the way he plays the game, but mostly due to the Oline not being able to pick up the blitz (or even stop a 4 man rush). But the injuries to the RBs had nothing to do with the Oline, unless you think that an Olineman should have decleated Lewis so Mendenhall wouldn't have had to meet him one on one.

Agreed, I think the divide on this board is that, while we all feel there is a problem on the line, that you just can't go firing coaches and moving players around this early in the season, rather make the changes in the offseason.

Steeler Mafia
10-01-2008, 11:03 AM

My concerns with the OL is much like you said. We are having a hard time picking up a 4-man rush. I have seen lesser college teams have an OL that is able to do this. What seems to be the weak link here? As for Mendenhall's injury, the hole that the OL created wasn't that big at all. I think most of our runs were stopped because the Ravens DL was overpowering us at the line of scrimmage. This seems to be a norm this season. Not as bad as when Mahan was in at center last year, but still a problem. Now Ray Lewis is Ray Lewis. You are not going to show him up or beat him too much. But when our RBs are squeezing through a sliver of a hole and gets held up because the OL can't get the push they need, I would expect to see big hits from LBs, much like we saw Lewis deliver to Mendenhall. Granted, I imagine that most of this is because most teams know what the Steelers are all about, running the football, and they will play us accordingly. However, we need to get a better performance from the guys up front or we will be seeing many more injuries this season.

Steeler Mafia
10-01-2008, 11:10 AM

Agreed, I think the divide on this board is that, while we all feel there is a problem on the line, that you just can't go firing coaches and moving players around this early in the season, rather make the changes in the offseason.

I believe that players can still be moved around during the season, but coaching changes do not work. Those types of changes need to be made in the off-season where there is time for everyone to get familiar with the system.

Me, I believe in cross-training OL players so that they know the job of one another. Knowing what the resposability of one position can only help the entire line gell as a whole. I hate hearing about how an OL player can play the right side of the line well, but can't seem to understand the left side. To me, that would not be acceptable, but that is just me.

papillon
10-01-2008, 11:13 AM
You are quite right Pappy. I was just reflecting on Monday's game and in the second half. We had more success in a no-huddle and had more success hitting Moore out of the backfiled, something we have not done a lot of this season. If we can get a little more stability on the OL, not much, but a little, and have Ben utilize the quick hits to the TE and RB, that should keep an opposing D on their heels. This is most likely a result of allowing Ben to call his own plays rather than leaving it up to Bruce Arians and his brainless playcalling.

I think Stapleton did a good job filling in for Simmons and, to me, it looked like the OL was a bit stronger the second half of that game. The offense sputtered and showed signs of life. We just need a tune-up and in the right positions. Defensively, we are hitting on all cylinders. Offensively, we are still not on the same page. I would really like to know what is going on behind the scenes, because listening to Tomlin, he isn't showing his hand and doesn't seem to be that concerned.

I love the Steeler defense, but, I do have concerns about how they play defense agianst the opponent's 2 minute offense. They seem to give up yards very easily and, so far, no team has incorporated that into their game plan as a staple rather than the end of the half or game.

Pappy

Oviedo
10-01-2008, 11:18 AM

:Agree You have to do this in a planned and deliberate manner or things will really start to come undone. Don't assume that different equals better.

proudpittsburgher
10-01-2008, 11:31 AM

I believe that players can still be moved around during the season, but coaching changes do not work. Those types of changes need to be made in the off-season where there is time for everyone to get familiar with the system.

Me, I believe in cross-training OL players so that they know the job of one another. Knowing what the resposability of one position can only help the entire line gell as a whole. I hate hearing about how an OL player can play the right side of the line well, but can't seem to understand the left side. To me, that would not be acceptable, but that is just me.

I can agree with that, it would be good. But it takes a preally special player to be able to play adequately on both side of the quarterback. There may just be a handful of O-line players who could actually make the move and excell in either place, of that, I mean of all time. But, with this team, we really only have one requirement, and that is to keep BR alive.

Discipline of Steel
10-01-2008, 12:09 PM
I think the players are OK and we just lost the worst one for the season. As a unit they perform below average but they are not the very worst of the worst. We are just spoiled by having excellance in all other areas. It is nothing to get fired up about, they are working on it. Address in the off season as best they can...

SteelTorch
10-01-2008, 12:45 PM
The O-line is far from "fine", but at least they're showing improvement over last year, with the exception of the Eagle's game. While they're giving up sacks, they're also facing much better D's than last year.

Considering how poorly the line usually does against the Ravens, I think they definitely showed improvement. We did a decent job of running the ball (considering), and Ben was actually sacked less in this game than the last game, and one was caused by him losing his shoe.