PDA

View Full Version : Ailing Steelers wonder where the RBs will come from

fordfixer
10-01-2008, 12:09 AM
Ailing Steelers wonder where the RBs will come from

By Gary Mihoces, USA TODAY
http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football ... ries_N.htm (http://www.usatoday.com/sports/football/nfl/steelers/2008-09-30-injuries_N.htm)

PITTSBURGH Safety Ryan Clark stopped by the Pittsburgh Steelers' media room before coach Mike Tomlin's Tuesday press conference to say it was called off.

"Coach Tomlin is injured," Clark said.

He was kidding, but the point was made. The Steelers paid a physical price for the 23-20 overtime win Monday night against the Baltimore Ravens that put them atop the AFC North.

Rookie running back Rashard Mendenhall, who started while Willie Parker rested a knee injury, was lost for the season with a shoulder fracture in the third quarter, and the first-round pick will undergo surgery.

Mendenhall's replacement, Carey Davis, left in the fourth quarter with an ankle sprain. Pittsburgh also lost starting guard Kendall Simmons for the season with a ruptured Achilles' tendon.

The Steelers (3-1) play Sunday night at the Jacksonville Jaguars, who beat them twice last season. The Jaguars (2-2) have been hit hard by offensive line injuries.

"Injuries are part of the game. They're as much a part of the game as blocking and tackling," Tomlin said. "You don't like it. But you deal with it."

Pittsburgh also is without injured defensive line starters Casey Hampton and Brett Keisel. As with Parker, the team hopes they can return after a Week 6 bye.

Reserve linebacker Andre Frazier, carted off on a stretcher after the opening kickoff, was not seriously hurt and might play Sunday. Frazier sustained what the Steelers initially described as a spine injury. "He looks to be doing remarkably fine (It's) really a blessing," Tomlin said.

Pittsburgh had scored one touchdown in two previous games. There were some boos when quarterback Ben Roethlisberger took a knee on the last play of the first half with the Steelers trailing 13-3.

Roethlisberger did some yelling at halftime: "I was tired of being booed. And I told the guys that."

In a 15-second span of the third quarter, Roethlisberger threw for a touchdown and Pittsburgh's defense scored another.

Operating without a huddle and calling the plays, Roethlisberger led a 67-yard drive capped by his 38-yard pass to Santonio Holmes. "Not that we were great in the second half, but we bounced back," Roethlisberger said.

The next score came on linebacker LaMarr Woodley's 7-yard return of a fumble by rookie Ravens quarterback Joe Flacco.

Flacco rebounded to lead Baltimore (2-1) on a TD drive in the final quarter to tie it 20-20.

In overtime, Pittsburgh's last running back standing, Mewelde Moore, set up the winning kick with third-down catches of 24 and 7 yards.

Tomlin said Davis' status for Sunday is uncertain and that Pittsburgh probably will sign two running backs. Likely additions are veteran Najeh Davenport (cut during the offseason) and practice squad player Gary Russell. Who starts at running back against the Jaguars?

"Pick one for us. Your guess is as good as mine," Tomlin said.

Ozey74
10-01-2008, 07:58 AM
I knew I shouldn't of bought Mendenhall's jersey before the season started!! I thought my purchase may jinx him.

:HeadBanger

frankthetank1
10-01-2008, 07:58 AM
why wouldnt moore start? even if davis wasn't injured i would rather have moore getting the carries, or russell. i forgot about najeh that would be smart to sign him. what about kevin barlow haha?

Oviedo
10-01-2008, 08:01 AM
We will see if the feelings about Russell many of us have had are warranted. If the guy can run with power we've seen glimpses of and hang onto the ball we will be fine. This is his chance. Hopefully he understands that and makes the most of it.

AngryAsian
10-01-2008, 08:30 AM
We will see if the feelings about Russell many of us have had are warranted. If the guy can run with power we've seen glimpses of and hang onto the ball we will be fine. This is his chance. Hopefully he understands that and makes the most of it.

We'll need this particular skillset against the Jags Sunday night. I just hope the success that Moore had receiving out of the backfield opens up Bruce's brain to using an RB in the passing game.