PDA

View Full Version : I like Lane Kiffin

BigBen2112
09-30-2008, 11:14 PM
Consummate pro...Al Davis= moron!

Sorry, but listening to Kiffin and his conversation with Trey Wingo I really have a ton of respect right now for Lane Kiffin.

I have zero respect, as does most of the rest of the league apparently, for Mr. Davis.

BigBen2112
09-30-2008, 11:17 PM
Ok seriously what the hell is up with the espn video feature here?

Two times I have attempted to post videos to no avail.

here's the link to the ESPN lane kiffin interview video http://sports.espn.go.com/broadband/video/videopage?videoId=3618948&categoryId=2459789

rpmpit
10-01-2008, 09:29 AM
Kiffin nailed it when he said he was embarassed for Al Davis while watching the press confrerence. Davis is a demented fool and a has turned the Raiders into the biggest joke the NFL has ever seen - well maybe except for the Bengals :lol:

He should be glad he's out of there. I'm guessing that Davis will now try to lure Madden out of retirement so he can have a coach that looks as dead as he does.

frankthetank1
10-01-2008, 10:08 AM
Kiffin nailed it when he said he was embarassed for Al Davis while watching the press confrerence. Davis is a demented fool and a has turned the Raiders into the biggest joke the NFL has ever seen - well maybe except for the Bengals :lol:

He should be glad he's out of there. I'm guessing that Davis will now try to lure Madden out of retirement so he can have a coach that looks as dead as he does.

or he could also bring back art shell :lol:
at least now the raiders dont have "just another white qb"

papillon
10-01-2008, 10:39 AM
My question is why would Tom Cable agree to be the head coach of this team? Why would any one take that job? If this is your first gig as a head coach you will probably never get serious consideration again after the cluster f*ck that is Al Davis puts up obstacles every step of the way.

I've interviewed for jobs and turned them down, because, I didn't like the interviewer or the HR people or things I saw while walking around through the business. This is one of those situations if you ask me.

I do realize that there are only 32 of these jobs in the world, but, if you good enough to be considered you'll get chance with a real organization at some point in time.

Pappy

rpmpit
10-01-2008, 10:44 AM
My question is why would Tom Cable agree to be the head coach of this team? Why would any one take that job? If this is your first gig as a head coach you will probably never get serious consideration again after the cluster f*ck that is Al Davis puts up obstacles every step of the way.

I've interviewed for jobs and turned them down, because, I didn't like the interviewer or the HR people or things I saw while walking around through the business. This is one of those situations if you ask me.

I do realize that there are only 32 of these jobs in the world, but, if you good enough to be considered you'll get chance with a real organization at some point in time.

Pappy

I have to believe that the 31 other teams know the deal with Davis and the Raiders and won't hold it against Kiffin or any other coach who goes through the Raiders organization. Look at Gruden. He was smart enough to jump ship and go to the Buccaneers when he did. And most people don't even remember he coached the Raiders.

papillon
10-01-2008, 10:58 AM

Pappy

I have to believe that the 31 other teams know the deal with Davis and the Raiders and won't hold it against Kiffin or any other coach who goes through the Raiders organization. Look at Gruden. He was smart enough to jump ship and go to the Buccaneers when he did. And most people don't even remember he coached the Raiders.

You know what you're right, I had completely forgotten that Gruden coached the Raiders, of course, I really don't care either. :twisted: :tt2

Pappy

AngryAsian
10-01-2008, 10:59 AM
Maybe if Arians is shown the door we'll get Lane as our new OC?

rpmpit
10-01-2008, 11:09 AM

Pappy

You know what you're right, I had completely forgotten that Gruden coached the Raiders, of course, I really don't care either. :twisted: :tt2

Pappy

Yeah, I could care less too. As long as Davis is pulling the strings the Raiders will never again be a threat in the AFC.

BigBen2112
10-01-2008, 11:17 AM

Id certainly give it a try.

Listen he was QB coach I do believe at USC and did well with that. He was OC at USC and succeeded there with great talent (like we have) as well.

He also got the MOST out of his players in Oakland. The team lost late in games and maybe that was somewhat his fault, but I like how the players are really upset about it and said that they loved playing for Kiffin and always gave it their all for him.

I'd certainly give it a try.

The players are NOT giving their all for Arians, and he is obviously less than inspiring...more like a complete dud!

I also think that Kiffin would come up with more creative play calling.

Personally I think the steelers should run some spread formation and then quick slants and screen passes out of that...maybe some quick draws out of the spread formation. Run the spread formation from the shotgun and let Ben see the field better so he can determine checkdowns easier etc.

I also think we should try some trick plays and gimmicks...Holmes is more than capable of a reverse...so is Washington. Ward is more than capable of running a double reverse flanker pass to Heath Miller down the seam. Moore is more than capable of helping in those types of plays.

This offense is stale as moldy bread...and the OL is so atrocious at the OLD Steeler type offense simply wont work behind it. We cannot just run it down the throats of teams...the OL isnt good enough.

Open it up. Still run the ball but run it out of creative sets. Use McHugh as a type of H-Back/FB blocking and on quick handoffs for runs.

Do something creative because this offense sucks.

Oviedo
10-01-2008, 11:30 AM

Listen he was QB coach I do believe at USC and did well with that. He was OC at USC and succeeded there with great talent (like we have) as well.

He also got the MOST out of his players in Oakland. The team lost late in games and maybe that was somewhat his fault, but I like how the players are really upset about it and said that they loved playing for Kiffin and always gave it their all for him.

The players are NOT giving their all for Arians, and he is obviously less than inspiring...more like a complete dud!

Personally I think the steelers should run some spread formation and then quick slants and screen passes out of that...maybe some quick draws out of the spread formation. Run the spread formation from the shotgun and let Ben see the field better so he can determine checkdowns easier etc.

I also think we should try some trick plays and gimmicks...Holmes is more than capable of a reverse...so is Washington. Ward is more than capable of running a double reverse flanker pass to Heath Miller down the seam. Moore is more than capable of helping in those types of plays.

This offense is stale as moldy bread...and the OL is so atrocious at the OLD Steeler type offense simply wont work behind it. We cannot just run it down the throats of teams...the OL isnt good enough.

Open it up. Still run the ball but run it out of creative sets. Use McHugh as a type of H-Back/FB blocking and on quick handoffs for runs.

Really? Check this out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_Kiffin

Despite all the teams achievements, Kiffin's work with the Trojans over his two-year period as offensive coordinator is sometimes harshly judged for what it did not accomplish – win national championships – as compared to the previous two seasons in 2003 and 2004.[original research?][citation needed] Furthermore offensive play-calling responsibilities for USC were shared during this period with QB coach Steve Sarkisian having on-the-field approval for Kiffin’s suggestions and head coach Pete Carroll maintaining veto power. Lack of clarity and final say over play calling responsibility has left some controversy over how much decision making power Kiffin wielded versus Sarkisian and Carroll during his two-year tenure as offensive coordinator.[original research?][citation needed]

Not saying this is true, but it shows that the hype never matches reality. This is obviously one person's view just like there are many views of what Arians has done or is doing. I'm not thrilled with all the playcalling but slash and burn tactics don't work and can create more problems than solutions. Not sure taking a college OC with no NFL experience would be the right move. If a change is made during the season only Ken Anderson makes sense. If a decision is made after the season then you can cast a wider net.

BigBen2112
10-01-2008, 11:45 AM

Really? Check this out.

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Lane_Kiffin

Despite all the teams achievements, Kiffin's work with the Trojans over his two-year period as offensive coordinator is sometimes harshly judged for what it did not accomplish – win national championships – as compared to the previous two seasons in 2003 and 2004.[original research?][citation needed] Furthermore offensive play-calling responsibilities for USC were shared during this period with QB coach Steve Sarkisian having on-the-field approval for Kiffin’s suggestions and head coach Pete Carroll maintaining veto power. Lack of clarity and final say over play calling responsibility has left some controversy over how much decision making power Kiffin wielded versus Sarkisian and Carroll during his two-year tenure as offensive coordinator.[original research?][citation needed]

Not saying this is true, but it shows that the hype never matches reality. This is obviously one person's view just like there are many views of what Arians has done or is doing. I'm not thrilled with all the playcalling but slash and burn tactics don't work and can create more problems than solutions. Not sure taking a college OC with no NFL experience would be the right move. If a change is made during the season only Ken Anderson makes sense. If a decision is made after the season then you can cast a wider net.

During his time at USC he did not have the talent at QB, RB, or WR that they had in previous years either. No Reggie Bush, no LenDale White, no Dwayne Jarrett, and no great first round QB.

And he does have NFL experience...he was the head coach for a team that is a bottom feeder in the NFL and in his first season he righted ship and changed things immensely and made them at least semi-respectable in terms of their on the field play. They still suck but they played harder for him than our players play for Arians and his dipsh*t offensive playcalling.

Cast a wider net, fine...but we need some ingenuity in our offense and playcalling...I was just suggesting Kiffin. There are others out there who would probably do a better job than Arians...hell I think 90% of this board, even the troll from Cincy, could do better and Bruce Arians (and yes that is a compliment JOM).

What is wrong with my playcalling ideas above? We need something other than runs up the middle with a sh*tty OL and 20 yard routes/5-7 step drops that get our QB killed.

ANPSTEEL
10-01-2008, 11:56 AM
I'm not so sure I'd want Kiffin on the staff- even if it included getting rid of Arians...

One of the words Davis used in conjunction with Lane Kiffin was "immature".

Al Davis may be a senile old nut- but based upon a few glimpses into Kiffin's personality... immature seems like it might be very fitting.

Below is an excerpt from a Pete Prisco article-

http://www.sportsline.com/nfl/story/11002639

"...That's not to say Kiffin was perfect. He was known to be arrogant and aloof, two of the same qualities he had when he was the quality-control coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars when I covered that team. People in the Jaguars building disliked him greatly. He had a sense of entitlement. And don't dare get current UCLA offensive coordinator Norm Chow and Kiffin in a room together. Chow hates him. He has told me in the past that Kiffin undermined him at USC with Pete Carroll. He called him a "bad guy."...."

frankthetank1
10-01-2008, 11:56 AM
i like kiffin as well. he will be a very good coach in the nfl. i cant believe al davis got rid of him. the biggest problem with ba's play calling is if its not working he doesnt adjust. he just calls the same plays no matter what. i wish tomlin could take over the play calling but he is a defensive guy so that is out of the question. eventhough he couldnt do any worse

BigBen2112
10-01-2008, 12:00 PM
I'm not so sure I'd want Kiffin on the staff- even if it included getting rid of Arians...

Al Davis may be a senile old nut- but based upon a few glimpses into Kiffin's personality... immature seems like it might be very fitting.

"...That's not to say Kiffin was perfect. He was known to be arrogant and aloof, two of the same qualities he had when he was the quality-control coach for the Jacksonville Jaguars when I covered that team. People in the Jaguars building disliked him greatly. He had a sense of entitlement. And don't dare get current UCLA offensive coordinator Norm Chow and Kiffin in a room together. Chow hates him. He has told me in the past that Kiffin undermined him at USC with Pete Carroll. He called him a "bad guy."...."

Wow didn't know that.

Thanks for the information.

Oh and now that you mention it...how about Norm Chow as OC for the Steelers?

ANPSTEEL
10-01-2008, 12:28 PM

Wow didn't know that.

Now, Norm Chow I could dig- but I don't think he's going to leave UCLA anytime soon.

He had a taste of the NFL- and it didn't go well. Some coaches are better suited for the college game.

Iron Shiek
10-01-2008, 12:36 PM

Pretty much everything you said there is absolutely $$$. Open up the offense, I have been calling for slants and rolling Ben out for 2 weeks, when they did it, it was working against the Ravens. Trick plays? Why not I say? Mix em in.

As for Lane Kiffin, he'd be nice, but he's going to college...to a big program (Tennesse?). He is a good recruiter and was one of the main recruiters at USC from what I read.

Poor Raiders. Cowherd on ESPN radio has been playing parts of the AL DAVIS press conference yesterday. There is this one part in between where they took a break and the microphone was still on. Al asks someone when or who is going to introduce Tom Cable. And then after somebody said somthing to him Al replies, "I don't know much about him." You freakin hired him to run your team and you don't know anything about him!!! WTF!!!! Just disband the franchise Goodell...please.

BigBen2112
10-01-2008, 12:55 PM

Wow didn't know that.

Now, Norm Chow I could dig- but I don't think he's going to leave UCLA anytime soon.

He had a taste of the NFL- and it didn't go well. Some coaches are better suited for the college game.

Another couple people I would consider would be:
Norm Chow
Lane Kiffin
Scott Linehan
Greg Davis--Texas
Kevin Wilson--Oklahoma
Dave Christensen--Missouri
Jeremy Bates--Broncos QB coach
Tom Clements--Packers
Jerome Bettis--One of the All-Time Best Pittsburgh Steelers players

I'd also consider Pete Metzelaars or Jerry Fontenot for the Offensive Line coaching job. I think he'd do a good job.

I would personally (if I ran this team) would make the following changes:
Pete Metzelaars as OL coach--Zeirlien FIRED
Dave Christensen or Greg Davis as OC--Arians FIRED
Jerome Bettis Special Offensive Assistant

Metzelaars as worked with the OL but is not the OL coach with the Colts and I think would come in and be able to do a better job for us.

Christensen or Davis I think would open up the offense and find creative ways to get the ball into the hands of our playmakers. They could do no worse than Arians. BigBen is a mobile and active QB and I think that Christensen or Davis may be able to taylor an offense to his strengths and I think we may find success.

Without a doubt I have believed for a long time that Jerome Bettis needs to be a member of this team's coaching staff. He taught the runningbacks a LOT and while we have a good RB coach as it is I do believe that Jerome Bettis and his knowledge and ability and willingness to teach could really help the Steelers offense. Also, I think he would be a figure of success and stability upon which the offense could often rely. As one of the best runningbacks in the history of the NFL his success could easily rub off and he could bring strong stability. The players loved him and he is willing to teach...he needs to be a part of this teams future at the coaching position i do believe.

Steely76
10-01-2008, 01:04 PM
The Bus as RB's coach? I guess that'd be ok as long as they don't put him in charge of Fitness & Nutrition.

BigBen2112
10-01-2008, 05:40 PM
The Bus as RB's coach? I guess that'd be ok as long as they don't put him in charge of Fitness & Nutrition.

The Bus would be a great consultant for this team. He would drastically help this team I do believe. Moral support, advice, and professionalism.

RuthlessBurgher
10-01-2008, 07:23 PM
I believe the Bus makes far more money for far less work in his NBC Studio gig and absentee restauranteur business. I think he'd pass on the insane hours coaches put in.

BigBen2112
10-01-2008, 10:12 PM
I dont think he'd have to put in those hours as a consultant. I think the Bus would be well worth it. He SHOULD be a continued part of this team in the future.

ANPSTEEL
10-02-2008, 07:39 AM
I believe the Bus makes far more money for far less work in his NBC Studio gig and absentee restauranteur business. I think he'd pass on the insane hours coaches put in.

while i think bettis should be an honorary steeler mascot- i completely agree with your point.

once he leaves the gig with nbc- then he may decide to come in as a rb coach, but not until then.

Slapstick
10-02-2008, 01:42 PM
Another couple people I would consider would be:
Norm Chow
Lane Kiffin
Scott Linehan
Greg Davis--Texas
Kevin Wilson--Oklahoma
Dave Christensen--Missouri
Jeremy Bates--Broncos QB coach
Tom Clements--Packers
Jerome Bettis--One of the All-Time Best Pittsburgh Steelers players

I'd also consider Pete Metzelaars or Jerry Fontenot for the Offensive Line coaching job. I think he'd do a good job.

I would personally (if I ran this team) would make the following changes:
Pete Metzelaars as OL coach--Zeirlien FIRED
Dave Christensen or Greg Davis as OC--Arians FIRED
Jerome Bettis Special Offensive Assistant

IF Arians is fired...and that's a big "if" (pun intended)...

I would consider Jeremy Bates as OC and Tom Cable (no way he stays in Oakland after this year) as the OL coach...

I don't even know if I would retain Ken Anderson, if Ben continues to make the mechanical and mental errors that he made in the Philly game and part of the Ravens game...

If he did, I would consider Walt Harris as the QB coach...he wasn't exactly Pete Carroll when he was at Pitt, but he certainly does know offense (especially QB play)...IIRC, he was Boomer Esiason's QB coach when Boomer made the Pro Bowl with the Jets...

Steely76
10-08-2008, 01:00 PM

Maybe he shouldn't be such an absentee restaurateur because that place sucks. It's pretty sad when the thing people talk about the most is your men's bathroom.

Djfan
10-08-2008, 02:10 PM
I am pretty sure that Al Davis died a few years ago, he just never got the memo.

AngryAsian
10-08-2008, 02:15 PM

Maybe he shouldn't be such an absentee restaurateur because that place sucks. It's pretty sad when the thing people talk about the most is your men's bathroom.

Nothing like taking a wizz and being able to see if anybody is hitting on the girl your with at the bar. :lol:

RuthlessBurgher
10-08-2008, 08:43 PM

I haven't been there yet. Guess I'm not missing much, eh?

GreggyDigital
10-09-2008, 06:26 PM

:Agree