PDA

View Full Version : So what are some of the positives after 1/4 of the season...

costanza2k1
09-30-2008, 10:39 PM
Figured we need a post like this. 25% of the regular season is done and most of our focus, as it should be, has been on firing the OC, Oline Coach, waiving players, firing the FO, and putting Tomlin on his final written warning. Heck Benny has already hired Kiffin and figured out a way to fire him already for some bad play calling he may do in the future. (just a joke my friend, please don't take offense)

Here are some of the positives I see, in no order:

-Our outside LBs are monsters as many of us have dreamed of
-Willie Parker didn't look so bad when he had his blocks, he ran very hard
-The Dragon may end up being a force in the future, hopefully with us
-Ben has that magic you just can't teach
-Hines is 98 years old yet he can still make plays---that's called clutch
-Troy P is just plain awesome
-Timmons is delivering on special teams and on defense
-Our backup Dlineman have been very surprising
-McFadden why couldn't you perform like this in the past 2 camps to beat out Townsend...well done!
-Tomlin has some fire on the sidelines, I like that
-We're 2-0 in the division and 3-1 for the year!

Please feel to add...

birtikidis
09-30-2008, 11:03 PM
most of us dont have to post on the "other board"

SteelTorch
09-30-2008, 11:10 PM
most of us dont have to post on the "other board"
The place that is dead to most of us.

Okay, I lied a little, I went there today to make fun of DVSONE (aka Darren Willis). :lol:

Concerning the Steelers:

We're getting more turnovers without giving up more
Our secondary is looking better
Our D-line is controlling the LoS
Our LBers are looking great
We're not giving up huge runs on ST
Reed is looking as clutch as ever
Big Ben is still great
HHH (Hines, Holmes, and Heath) are all still clutch. I like that as a nickname for the trio. 8)
Parker is running hard, and the backups are (were) capable.
We're 3-1. Of course, we started 3-1 last season, so let's learn from last season and finish strong.

Discipline of Steel
09-30-2008, 11:37 PM
Thank goodness, you are my new best friend Costanza! I was thinking about a post such as this after all the Steeler hating I saw here during/after the MNF game. All the other maybes and possibilities have yet to translate into a downward spiral recordwise, and until they do Im ON the bandwagon. Call me Homer, the company guy.

-Of course the most important + is your last one, our 3-1 record and division lead.
-Look at all the poor teams with worse records in the NFL...23 of them.
-There are only three teams with a better record!
-Look at poor JOM, nuff said there.
-We havent seen any of the special teams tragedies that plagued us the last two years.
-Big Ben is entering the rarified stratosphere with Manning. Brady has fallen to earth.
-Patriots suck!
-Browns are laughable...and have mortgaged their future to become laughable.
-Our defense is more incredible than last year when they were #1!
-THE STEELERS HAVE THE #1 FANS IN ALL OF FOOTBALL! :Beer

Shawn
09-30-2008, 11:51 PM
We finally have a pass rush.
Parker is definately running harder this season
3-1
Our OL has played so poorly that the Steelers can no longer ignore the issue.
Moore is underrated...he could become a very potent weapon in our passing attack.
Troy is SICK...I mean he is well...so now he is again sick...well you know what I mean.
McFadden is looking really good...could become an elite corner.
Our secondary as a whole looks better now that they are supported by a pass rush.

pittpete
10-01-2008, 12:37 AM
We are 3-1
We have some scary,scary OLB's
Our ST on the whole has been solid
D-Line is pretty impressive after 4 games
Ben is not in a wheelchair

frankthetank1
10-01-2008, 08:19 AM
hines's play has not dropped off a bit. i am very impressed with him this year. i agree the combo of woodley and harrision have not dissappointed one bit. they need to lock bmac up and do it now!!! st's have been very good. great job by tomlin, they have improved a lot. timmons is showing why he was picked in the first round. even foote i think has had a great year so far.

at the very worst the steelers should be 4-2 heading into the giants game. not too bad at all

Oviedo
10-01-2008, 08:23 AM
The other board is the "dead zone" even though we have some posters here who like to play both sides of the street.

There are positives:

1. We haven't played great since Game #1 and we are still 3-1 and on top of the AFC North
2. We are getting back to the pass rush that we love. Harrison and Woodley are animals and Timmons will only get better.
3. Troy has to be one of the most remarkable athletes ever to wear the black and gold.
4. Coach LeBeau has read this board and listened to Oviedo's wisdom :D and is no longer excessively blitzing Troy and the result is 3 INTs in 4 games.

The best is yet to come. Everyone gets healthy for the second half of the season and we roll :tt2 :tt2 :tt2

SanAntonioSteelerFan
10-01-2008, 10:07 AM
You guys have really nailed the important ones!

One other thing that is super positive so far this year in my mind is: For the 1st time in a very long time the Steelers won a game that they were behind in. For the past few years it seemed like the pattern was if the Steelers jumped out to a big lead early, we could hold on till the end, but if we got down we didn't know how to play catch up well enough to win.

Monday night it's like they rediscovered that they can do that. A useful skill, and just in time, given our schedule the rest of the year!

[And of course, the usual disclaimer here - if my facts are wrong (meaning if the Steelers recently have come from behind to win), please don't let them get in the way of a fine, fine opinion!]

dcsteelerfan
10-01-2008, 10:46 AM
To me the ST kick coverage has been the biggest surprise IMO, considering they are most of the same players as last year. Also the backup Dline has done the job so far. They kept Magahee in check although McLain had some decent runs up the middle. I used to think that Eason wasn't fit to wear the black and gold, but I have to admit he's been a solid backup.

SteelerNation1
10-01-2008, 10:49 AM
The AFC is obviously down this year making it VERY winnable.

phillyesq
10-01-2008, 11:02 AM
The biggest positive for me has been the play of Woodley and Harrison at OLB. They've really stepped up the pass rush, and I now get excited watching third and long, just to see the havoc that they will create.

papillon
10-01-2008, 11:25 AM
Coverage teams
3-1, 2-0 in the division
The disaster that is the Cleveland Browns
The disaster that is the Cincinnati Bengals (sorry, JOM)
The sack masters Harrison and Woodley
Troy Polamalu - wow, just f*cking wow
The fact that SMG and AS made it to the Mecca of Steeler football

Pappy

ikestops85
10-01-2008, 01:41 PM
That we are 3-1 and winning "ugly". ( I don't want us hot until the end of the season)
That Aaron Smith is back with a vengeance
That I can relax when we kick-off and punt (well, somewhat relax :D )
That our defense can still dominate even when playing corners 10 yards off the ball
That the rest of our division is not very competitive.

RussBII
10-01-2008, 02:15 PM

Who is "The Dragon?" Did I miss something and now I look stupd?

Here are some various bizarre observations I've had so far:

-Is it me, or do Woodley's arms scare the bejesus out of you? He looks like he could will w/ a hug...
-It's sooo freaking good to have Troy back to being Troy
-Santonio Holmes' hands are rediculous. He makes catches that I just don't think are possible.
-Nate's actually looking good.
-I feel like the defense is one step away from being abso-friggin-lutely terrifying.

costanza2k1
10-01-2008, 03:48 PM

Just easier for an ESL guy to type Dragon than his full name...

http://cache.daylife.com/imageserve/0fq0dO83HV6xN/610x.jpg

NKySteeler
10-01-2008, 05:49 PM
More positive numbers so far this season...

4 -Games this season when the Steelers have scored first.

15 -Seconds it took in the third quarter for the Steelers to turn a 13-3 deficit into a 17-13 lead against Balt.

14 -The Steelers won their 14th consecutive home game on Monday Night Football, extending their NFL record.

36 -Successful field goals for Jeff Reed in his last 38 attempts.

6 -Sacks for James Harrison in the last two home games against Baltimore.

59:42 -Playing time the Steelers shut out their opponents in the first quarter this season before Baltimore’s Matt Stover kicked a 33-yard field goal.

NorthCoast
10-02-2008, 10:59 PM
I think Troy has always been Troy but LeBeau has finally gotten the LBs needed for rushing the QB and is using Troy the way he wanted to all along. LeBeau is no dummy, I am sure last year he was using Troy to cover for our poor pressure on the QB. Nobody in the NFL has the range of TP...

Biggest positive surprise; Special Teams. A couple of key additions on kick coverage has made all the difference: Woods and Fox especially.

He hasn't played alot yet but early signs are the McHugh is a capable addition as well.

With our brutal schedule we will need a lot of help from second-teamers to make it to the playoffs this year. So far they have stepped up including Eason and Kirsche.

Slapstick
10-03-2008, 09:29 AM
I think Troy has always been Troy but LeBeau has finally gotten the LBs needed for rushing the QB and is using Troy the way he wanted to all along. LeBeau is no dummy, I am sure last year he was using Troy to cover for our poor pressure on the QB. Nobody in the NFL has the range of TP...

I was going to post this, but you beat me to it...

With Harrison and Woodley applying pressure, Troy doesn't need to take on offensive linemen any more...

RuthlessBurgher
10-03-2008, 10:11 AM

Kemo has two fewer letters than Dragon. Unless you don't want to confuse him with former Steeler d-lineman Kimo (von Oelhoffen).

BIG FAN
10-03-2008, 11:36 AM

Biggest positive surprise; Special Teams. A couple of key additions on kick coverage has made all the difference: Woods and Fox especially.

He hasn't played alot yet but early signs are the McHugh is a capable addition as well.

With our brutal schedule we will need a lot of help from second-teamers to make it to the playoffs this year. So far they have stepped up including Eason and Kirsche.

Agree completely.

costanza2k1
10-03-2008, 11:44 AM

Kemo has two fewer letters than Dragon. Unless you don't want to confuse him with former Steeler d-lineman Kimo (von Oelhoffen).

Ruthless...I forgot to give this to you yesterday in advance:
:moon :moon
:lol: